Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Private Snowball posted:

I'm looking for some music that has guitar solos similar to the beginning of Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive. Not that I don't like the whole song, but up until around 1:15 is what I'm looking for.

That solo is fairly riff-heavy and it seems a lot like the typical guitar sound in garage rock and early punk. That being the case, these bands wont be similar to Pink Floyd per se, but they should hopefully seem similar to that beginning part of the song you mentioned.

The Kinks:
You Really Got Me
All Day and All of the Night

The Sonics:
Strychnine
Maintaining My Cool

The Yardbirds:
Stroll On
For Your Love

The Stooges:
Down On the Street

T-Rex:
20th Century Boy

Modern Lovers:
Roadrunner

Television:
Marquee Moon

The Clash:
Cheat
Clampdown

The timbre of the guitar in these songs will be generally similar to what you're looking for, and while the tempos may be a bit faster, the melody in the riffs and solos should be similar as well. Most of these should work-out since early Floyd was arguably somewhat of a garage-rock band themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm looking for some more explicitly-political soul music along the same lines as Gil Scott-Heron(who is amazing and I can't believe I hadn't heard of him before) and Bobby Womack, or some political electro or older hip-hop such as The Message. Basically any artist that frequently discussed the problems that were present in American cities during the 70's and 80's.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

plogo, Owen, bumpizza posted:

Helpful links and recommendations.

A little belated, but thanks for all of these as they were exactly what I was looking for.

On an unrelated note, is anyone knowledgable about North American tribal music, specifically Native American music that existed before any European influence? From what I can tell most recordings are of the compiliation variety and unfortunately a good many of them are "new age" type of music or at least marketed that way. What I'm really looking for are recordings that are as purely-traditional as possible, or in other words Robert Johnson as opposed to Eric Clapton if that makes sense. This may be a longshot, but are any goons here familiar with tribal music and if so, what recordings should I seek out?

Additionally, what should I look to for traditional western-American music? By that I don't mean the John Wayne cowboy-type stuff, but rather any music that was developed during the time of the Oregon Trail or California gold rush(assuming new types of music were even created).

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Omena posted:

Ugh, I'm terrible at genres, being a music newbie and all. Umm, just more bands like Sublime would be awesome if you guys know of any.

Maybe try Operaton Ivy or Rancid.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Pagan posted:

I'm looking for some good moody, creepy, sad music, either with or without vocals. Something that would be suitable for, say, exploring an abandoned haunted mansion, or that kind of thing. I know that's kinda vague, but I don't have much music like this to compare too.

I'm not sure if some of these are too energetic but most should work for you.

Purcell:
Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary

Bach:
"Little" Fugue in G Minor
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor(Probably one of the most common songs for "scary" scenes in TV and movies.)
Brandenburg Concerto #5, 1st Mvmt.(Not so much spooky as it is achingly sad.)

Tomaso Albinoni:
Adagio in G Minor(Again more sad than scary.)

Beethoven:
"Great" Fugue

Franz Schubert:
Der Erlkonig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Looking for electronic(ambient or otherwise) artists that have often featured more forlorn or depressed moods in their music. Similar to this Aphex Twin remix of "On" or Dancing With Kadafi by Infected Mushroom.