Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

U.S. MAPLESTORY posted:

The first couple Lanterna records (the ones from the mid-90s on Parasol and Rykodisc, iirc) would probably be right up your alley, but I can't find any clips of 'em online :/ Keep an eye out though!! They perfectly match what you're describing!!

This is a great recommendation, definitely hits that moody desert vibe. Other things you should check out with a similar vibe:

Daniel Lanois - Belladonna
Labradford - Mi Media Naranja
Bruce Kaphan - Slider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Derised posted:

I've really been getting into instrumental tracks from the likes of Blockhead and DJ Shadow so if anyone had any suggestions for anything similar to those, that'd be pretty cool :)

He was recommended a few posts up but I want to put a point on DJ Krush being essential to check out here. My favorite album of his is Zen and I think that's a good starting point as well.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Virtual Russian posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Bossa Nova. I've really enjoyed listening to Nouvelle Vague, which I guess is bossa nova lite. Anyone know of anything similar I should be looking into?

My knowledge on this genre is not extensive, but I have enjoyed certain albums from the Pat Metheny Group which have a strong Bossa Nova flair. Pat is apparently quite a big fan of Brazilian music in general, and I think he does it justice. Still Life (Talking) is one PMG album that bears looking into.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ok so I was in the middle of a 6 hour drive last night when I flipped to a station that had "space" music playing. I was surprised at how much I liked it. Do any of you listen to that sort of slow, electronic music? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks!

You probably came across the Hearts of Space show. I'm still pissed at my local public radio station for dumping this and other music shows to make room for more talk radio. But anyway, some recommendations:

Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return and Structures From Silence are his two classic albums.

Brian Eno - most albums from his ambient era. You should hear the entire Ambient series eventually, but the first two are the most immediately essential in my opinion. Also of note are The Pearl (with Harold Budd) and Apollo.

Harold Budd - In addition to the albums with Harold Budd mentioned above, you should definitely look into his solo work as well. My top picks are La Bella Vista, Avalon Sutra and The White Arcades.

Thom Brennan - Not as well known as the two other names here so far. He was a contemporary of Steve Roach but never achieved the same level of acclaim as him since he was significantly less prolific in his output. He's been busier lately though, making new music and reissuing old stuff that was only pressed in very limited runs on CD-R or cassett. I'd start with the album Silver.

Those guys should get you started on "classic" ambient/space music, but there's a ton more stuff out there. If you think you want to explore this genre further, consider purchasing a plan at the Hearts of Space site and listening to some old shows. And if you don't want to do that, just taking a look at their playlists for shows that sound interesting to you will always yield some good tips.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Noise Machine posted:

Can anyone recommend me a compilation or a starting point for dub artists? Been wanting to get into dub for a long time but never knew where to start.

Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown
Scientist - Scientist Rids the World of the Curse of the Evil Vampires
King Tubby - Dub From the Roots
Lee "Scratch" Perry - Arkology
Mad Professor - Dubs From the Early 80's

I tried to pick a single album for each one but included a couple compilations since especially with Scratch it's really hard to single out just one, and the Arkology compilation is really good.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

19charactersorless. posted:

Can any one recommend me any happy space disco in the style of Lindstrøm?

You need to get some Daniel Wang in your life my friend. Start with the I Was a Disco Malcontent compilation first, then the Idealism album, then everything else that was only released on vinyl. Everything this guy touches is classic.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

19charactersorless. posted:

You, my friend, are the reason why this thread exists! Any other recommendations?

Metro Area - s/t. Includes most of the Metro Area 1-4 tracks (edited down for time) but not all. On the vinyl side, Metro Area 5 might be a skip, I like it but it's a bit different from their other material and I can understand why some people were disappointed with it. 6 and 7 are both pure classic Metro Area though and very essential.

Todd Terje has a few really, really great twelves of this stuff. He's still remixing but hasn't released anything new in a few years unfortunately.

I would also advise checking out the Moodmusic ten year anniversary compilation which has got a ton of great stuff on it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Money Walrus posted:

Anyone point me towards some good instrumental slide guitar? Not really fast like Leo Kottke, and not exactly bluesy riff slide guitar, just slow, melancholy cowboy slide guitar.

You should definitely look into Bruce Kaphan's Slider album. He's worked with American Music Club/Red House Painters, REM and David Byrne, but this is all instrumental, atmospheric slide guitar music. Very highly recommended.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Halfsharkalligator posted:

Anybody know good websites or starting points for Chicago house

The History of the House Sound of Chicago. It's quite a bit to absorb and since it was released in the late 80's obviously misses out on the great stuff that came out of Chicago in the 90's, but it's pretty drat definitive as far as the roots of Chicago house go.

Guys like Kerri Chandler, DJ Sneak, Ron Trent would be coming up in a few years and their stuff is also very crucial. Become friends with discogs.com, look up labels like Cajual and Relief. Pretty soon you'll be swimming in great music.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Femur posted:

This is not really a recommendation request but could anyone help me identify a song. I don't know the name or can't give you a sample, but I think it might be well known:

I usually hear it when a story about "medieval" time is about to happen, like opening to a medieval story, or just a parody of medieval time. It's basically string instruments only- and maybe a flute? I can't think of the last specific time I've heard it, but I know it was on an episode of Animaniacs.

I had the song once many years ago, but lost it, for some reason, leaf and golden comes to mine as the title, but can't find anything.

We have a thread here for identifying songs. Look down.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

aliencowboy posted:

I'm looking for some cheesy sounding spacey keyboard/synth music to chillout to.

Here's some stuff I found youtube that I liked:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgXtbI1sJM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f7bp645Bsg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRcvh4aV9qU

I like to listen to this kind of stuff and PONDER THE COSMOS.

Ashra - New Age of Earth
Tangerine Dream - Tangram
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene
Jonn Serrie - Lumia Nights (more recent and doesn't sound exactly like the others but I think it fits the mood you want)

Also get a Hearts of Space subscription and listen to some of their old shows - you'll find a LOT of this kind of stuff there.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 4, 2009

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Gvaz posted:

Anyone heard of the band http://www.myspace.com/belongmusic ? Is there any bands similar to it you'd suggest I'd check out? I really enjoy bands of this genre in general, it gives me goosebumps.

I have a feeling you're probably familiar with him already, but Tim Hecker is certainly quite essential if you're looking for more stuff in this style. Fennesz of course as well.

A less obvious choice is a fellow who goes by the name of Chessie and produces some very lovely music. He has a few albums out. I'd start with Overnight.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

The Consultant posted:

I'm looking for music somewhat similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqyEQhkzUw

kinda chilled out jazzy poo poo. supposedly bark psychosis are the founders of post rock but this sounds more like lounge or downtempo to me.

Bark Psychosis... one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately I don't think there's much that can really compare to them to be honest. Many people draw a connection between them and the later Talk Talk records, and there's certainly a valid comparison there, though even then I think both of those bands were very much doing their own thing in a lot of ways. Anyway, you may want to check out I'm Not a Gun. They're not as moody as Bark Psychosis but they do the whole instrumental rock with electronic/light jazz vibes thing very, very well. I like all of their albums, but I'd start with We Think As Instruments.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What are some good hip hop diss/fued tracks? Something like Ja Rule's Loose Change, and 50 Cents and Eminem's response, or the one sided Eminem vs Benzino tracks.

A couple classic examples would be the tracks that came out of the Jay-Z/Nas beef. If you've ever heard someone say that a rapper was Ethered, this is where that came from. Almost everyone agrees that Nas won the beef with his track "Ether." Check out Jay's "Takeover" too though which addresses Nas and Prodigy from Mobb Deep.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Alec Eiffel posted:

I plan on getting some Miles Davis (though I doubt I'll see his "best" albums in a used vinyl bin (Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, Bitches Brew, etc.), but beyond him I don't really know where to go. Used jazz bins are full of what looks like poo poo (.99 cents for a record makes one very wary of its quality). I'd like something similar to Mr. Hands if that's possible. It's groovy and head-boppin'.

Don't write off the discount bins, you can find a lot of hidden gems there.

Anyway, it sounds like you're into the more fusion/funk-oriented stuff. You already have some Herbie Hancock, so there's a good place to start. The original trio of albums with his Headhunters lineup are pretty essential - Headhunters, Thrust, and Man-Child.

Around this same general time you have Weather Report - Heavy Weather, Miles Davis - On the Corner and the Chick Corea/Return to Forever stuff which is a bit more rock-influenced. That should get you started on the fusion stuff, if you want some more straight-ahead jazz try looking back through a few pages of this thread, I know there have already been some good jazz lists posted.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

PatronSaintONothing posted:

I'm looking for solo acoustic guitar similar to Kaki King, Sir Richard Bishop, James Blackshaw, etc. Not a huge fan of new age-y poo poo, but I'll try anything once. Suggestions?

He's definitely a bit on the new age side of things, but Michael Hedges really was a tremendous talent and I think anyone interested in acoustic guitar should at least give him a shot. I also definitely hear similarities in his and Kaki King's style, so if you already enjoy her work I think there's a good chance you could get into Hedges. Aerial Boundaries is probably the best album to investigate first.

Edit: Correcting a little mistake - Aerial Boundaries was Hedges' second album, not his first.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 15, 2009

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

axynn posted:

http://www.dourfestival.be/en/2009/byday

I'm going fri-sat-sun, I'm sad I had to miss seeing Chase&Status, Dr lektroluv, MSTRKRFT and Noisia on thursday. On saturday I'm ashamed to admit I only know the big mainstream "last arena" bands, 65dos and roots manuva...so recommend me bands!

Two years ago dour's highlights for me were superlux, dj feadz and vitalic...I also enjoyed otto von schirach

What a line-up. I would see:

Mercury Rev, Rinôçérôse, Mad Professor, Richard Devine, Pet Shop Boys, Black Milk, Jazzanova, EPMD, Bogdan Raczynski, Aphex Twin + Hecker, Luke Slater, Venetian Snares.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

HatchetDown posted:

I recently had a friend recommend me Aesop Rock but I forget the albums he said I should grab and his phone is off now so I can't figure it out now. I think one of them was a callabo with another artist. I'd remember it if I heard the name but I can't quite bring it up.

Labor Days or None Shall Pass to start with. Bazooka Tooth if you like those. The rest if you like Bazooka Tooth.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Maha posted:

I want to get into Drum n' Bass. All I know is I like DJ Marky. Go wild!

It's a big genre, but I'd be happy to recommend you a few artists from my sphere of interest. I'm most into the atmospheric side of jungle / drum & bass, as exemplified by LTJ Bukem, his Good Looking label and its offshoots.

First stop is Logical Progression, a mix CD by Bukem featuring many of his early tunes as well as material from others on Good Looking. Very essential. After that I would recommend looking into these albums, in no specific order:

Big Bud - Infinity + Infinity
Adam F - Colours
Goldie - Timeless
LTJ Bukem - Journey Inwards
Omni Trio - Even Angels Cast Shadows

There are an absolute ton of compilations and mix CDs on Good Looking, but I don't want to overwhelm you on just one sub-genre when you're just getting into D&B.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

This may be perilously close to asking goons to do my 'homework' for me rather than an actual recommendation request, but I'm in need of music that fits a pretty specific theme and am coming up kind of empty here. I'm looking for songs about everyday life, simple moments in life, daily routines, shopping, spending time with friends / family, etc. etc.

Allmusic actually has an "Everyday Life" theme which has been pretty much completely unhelpful. The songs should be upbeat, not too hard or edgy, and in a mainstream pop/rock or folk-pop kind of vein.

Any ideas guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I should probably have mentioned that this is for marketing purposes. :v:

Has to be as broad and inoffensive as possible. Chairlift and The Arcade Fire are way too cool for this particular client. The Graham Parsons tune is nice but not quite peppy enough. "Our House" is a great choice but we're probably looking for something not quite as well known.

Right after my first post I actually found this tune which is pretty much what I think we're looking for here:

http://inmytree.bandcamp.com/track/simple-things-2

Something along those lines.

Thanks for the responses anyway guys, I appreciate it. :)