Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Rachel's, Margot and the Nuclear So-and-Sos, Rasputina, Arcade Fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Jadz posted:

Back again with a new request. You guys have been awesome so far, so I'm pressing my luck :)

I'd like to find some stuff that's...how do I describe this...dark and atmospheric? A lot of the stuff you'd hear on the NIN album Ghosts I-IV is a good example. Examples with words in them (which I'm not entirely opposed to if it adds to the dark, haunting feeling of the music) is the beginning parts of Marylin Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams, or Otep's Invisible.

Any ideas? I'm not even sure what genre to call this, if it has one. Just dark, moody, haunting, atmospheric music. Instrumentals usually work best since a lot of people don't really have the vocals to make words blend well with it, but I'm not opposed to the music having lyrics if it works, like with Manson and Otep.

Without lyrics: Nurse With Wound, Tetsu Inoue, Coil, Lustmord
With lyrics: Einsturzende Neuebauten, Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, Wolves in the Throne Room and Burzum if you like metal

genre would probably be 'ambient industrial' or 'dark ambient', a lot of 'goth/darkwave' and black/death metal also mix kind of soundscape songs with more musical stuff like opeth for example

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 28, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

The Dentist posted:

I just listened every Radiohead cd in chronological order. I've been a fan since OK Computer. I know that it's probably the most common and laughable occurrence for someone to ask for music that "sounds like Radiohead" when their influence on today's music is so huge. What I'm looking for, mostly out of desperation, is something that will blow my mind the way they did/do. I don't want to be that guy who listens to Radiohead all day. Because, right now, I AM that guy. I'm sorry. I know there's more out there.

The trouble is, when I peruse Pitchfork etc, it seems that I have to put in so much effort to "like" these bands. Sometimes I wonder if I even like them. I don't think you should have to try so hard for music to overwhelm you with how awesome it is.

Some other bands that have really blown my mind in similar fashion, are also the typical: Sigur Ros. Wilco. Arcade Fire. Mewithoutyou. I also like Pedro the Lion/David Bazan, Band of Horses, Deerhoof, Bright Eyes, Cake, Muse, Metric/Emily Haines.

I need to expand, and my feeling is that there are those of you out there who get my vibe and where I'm coming from musically, and have perhaps expanded a bit more than I have and can point me in the right direction with something that will Radiohead me.

Pitchfork isn't really the best place to randomly try new music even if you like indie rock just because some of the stuff they like really sucks, unless you can get like their top 100 songs of the year and just go down and find out which ones you dig or something. But there really aren't any bands I'd describe as being 'like Radiohead' but also having their own identity. But based on the other ones I'd try The Shins, Fleet Foxes, Broken Social Scene, Cursive, Dirty Projectors, Modest Mouse, Wolf Parade, Pavement, The National and Brand New. And talk to FFB.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

I'm looking for some really raw and menacing electronic stuff, tracks like Stress by Justice, or Omen by The Prodigy. It's going to be mainly my playlist when I'm running.

Big Beat is a good rec for stuff like The Prodigy but Stress is more like electro house, if you like that check out Digitalism, Mr. Oizo, Vitalic, Para One, Wolfgang Gartner, Surkin and D. Ramirez, and there's also a Justice thread floating around with more stuff along these lines

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

STAT1C_X posted:

It's certainly...in French. Thanks for the recommendation, but I cannot stand the music.

Anyone have ANY French artists they want to recommend? That sing in French, that is?

contemporary: -M- (Mathieu Chedid), Etienne Daho, Yelle, Superbus, TTC, Nadiya, Zazie, Alizee, Sebastien Tellier is good but most of his songs are in English... I remember the soundtrack to the movie 'Banlieue 13' having good french hip hop but i don't know any of the artists. if you like more classic stuff like Serge Gainsbourg and older try Jacques Brel, Boby Lapointe, Edith Piaf

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Man-In-Madden posted:

Which electronic genre does this song by M83 fall under? I'm looking for some stuff similar to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOZthGa6LeY

I'm not sure if this style has a name exactly (electropop maybe?) but it's the kind of retro-ish europop stuff that's been dominating electronic top 40s for the past couple years, just most of it has singing and this one happens to be instrumental. Try MGMT, Royksopp, Klaxons, Cut Copy, The Whip, Lady GaGa, Hot Chip and Calvin Harris.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 17, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

HatchetDown posted:

I'm HUGE fan of Gnarls Barkley. IMO they made two of the best albums in the history of music. Yet, they continued to surprise me with their talent when I heard the live version of their song Transformer that they recorded at Abbey Road(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTp17VO6Yws). I did get Danger's Grey Album downloaded but it's still in FLAC format(not sure how to convert it to mp3). As far as Cee-Lo goes I haven't really looked into his other work aside from a few Goodie Mob tracks. Recommendations?

Favorite GB tracks:
Go Go Gadget Gospel
Smiley Faces
Who Cares
Storm Coming
The Last Time
Who's Gonna Save My Soul
Going On
Whatever
No Time Soon
A Little Better

RJD2, Gorillaz, The Avalanches, The Fugees, De La Soul, The Roots, Handsome Boy Modelling School, N.E.R.D... also maybe check out classic funk, soul and r&b artists (Rick James, James Brown, Al Green) cause GB is as strongly influenced by that sound as they are by hip hop

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

sticky wizard posted:

A friend of mine gave me Shinichi Osawa's "The One" a while back and I've been listening to it a lot lately. I haven't really been able to find many other decent artists that are similar besides maaaaybe Basement Jaxx. Any suggestions for others?

The opening track, "Star Guitar" is pretty great, as is the original version by The Chemical Brothers. The music videos for both versions of the song are pretty stellar as well:

Original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoiGDzWhTV0&NR=1

Shinichi Osawa Remix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlrJSG-v0Eg
(Makes me think of what would happen if one were to smoke salvia extract at a fashion show)

Check out Ken Ishii, Digitalism, Surkin, Whitest Boy Alive / Erlend Oye, Cornelius, Bag Raiders, Pepe Bradock, Sebastien Leger, Daft Punk (i think of a lot of those Ed Banger and Institubes Records guys having a similar sound to Osawa so maybe pick up one of their compilation albums, or Kitsune Maison) ... you might also like minimal prog type house stuff like Trentemoller, Gui Boratto, Rex the Dog and Nathan Fake...

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Hockles posted:

Basically, I am starting to like some electronica, or what I would call electronica. I don't know artists or anything like that. I do have examples of songs I like though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgAw1G-4zY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejm6jn9AFA0

What I'm looking for are some recommendations on artists or songs that I can get into.

Well, i would call this all 'trance', though the second is closer to hardstyle maybe. Try Gatecrasher and Ministry of Sound compilations and Armin Van Buuren's State of Trance. Probably at this point your best bet is to check out Ishkur's Guide and look in the trance section http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ check out a few of those nodes and see which samples are the kind of stuff you like. Then get more songs by those artists, see what label they're on, etc.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Hackuma posted:

Can somebody recommend me a few king crimson albums other than "in the court of the crimson king"?

In the Wake of Poseidon and Lizard are both good and similar in style to that one, their later albums range in styles but are still good (I like Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Red a lot, their 80s and later ones not as much)

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

OrganicRobot posted:

Does anyone know any bands that use a lot a carnival music influences? I know it's a weird request, but for some reason I really like the sound.

Try The Decemberists (probably Castaways & Cutouts and Picaresque in particular), Gogol Bordello, Man Man and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 3, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

OrganicRobot posted:

Thanks, I'll check out Gogol Bordello since I'm familiar with the other three.

One more i forgot, though it might not be entirely up your alley, T-Pain's latest album Thr33 Ringz was entirely carnival-themed.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

combee posted:

Which Talking Heads albums should I listen to first?

Downloading from http://www.bandit.fm if it counts.

For studio albums, i would go Remain in Light, then 77, then Fear of Music, then the others IMO. If you just want a real broad introduction, check out their live album Stop Making Sense, it has a lot of the best songs from other albums on it

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Myotis posted:

I'd like to get into the Hong Kong rock band Beyond. Can anyone recommend an album to start with? Other Cantonese rock recommendations also welcome.

I'm not familiar with the genre but there was a really awesome thread about Chinese rock in Phiz a while back: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3087683&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am looking for compilation albums that are like the following

Dark Was the Night
War Child Heroes
Sweetheart-Our Favorite Artists Sing Their Favorite Love Songs
Stubbs the Zombie OST -Features 50's tunes covered by "indie" bands like Dandy Warhols and Raveonnettes
Under the Covers 1 and 2

Most of these contain either original songs or covers. Are any of you familiar with more compilations that I might enjoy?

Look up an artist you like on Discogs.com, see what label they're on (or the one they started out on), and if it's a decently sized indie label (or even a smaller subsidiary label) they probably release a compilation album at least once a year. Almost all labels release compilation albums, it's just that if it's a super huge label like Sony BMG they are a lot more likely to be 'Greatest Hits' albums by specific artists or 'Best Hits of ____ (some decade or fad of the past)' rather than contemporary songs.
You also might try independent radio stations and music blogs/news sites that play a style of music you like, for instance KEXP puts out indie rock compilation albums pretty frequently.
As for ones with a 'gimmick' like the albums where artists cover a particular artist's songs, I'm not really sure, the only thing I can think of is that they tend to get a lot of press so maybe read music blogs or the local alt rag or listen to NPR's music sections or something?

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 9, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

EatinCake posted:

Also I'm trying to find a good collection of foreign music. Irish, French, and African seem to me like they'd be the most interesting, but really anything cultural, acoustic, and upbeat would be good. I just can't get enough of Seu Jorge's Portuguese Bowie covers.
Are you looking for FOLK and traditional style music specifically from those areas, or just any music, because all of those countries these days produce pop, techno, rock, hip hop, etc as well as traditional styles (like U2 is from Ireland for instance but I'm not sure that's the kind of 'Irish' music you're looking for) and it might be easier to recommend based on whatever specific thing you're thinking of? But if you're looking for stuff with a folky root like might be used in the background of a documentary about a country, for Ireland check out Clannad, The Pogues and Afro Celt Sound System, France maybe try Serge Gainsbourg and Yann Tiersen, and for Africa (has particularly a shitload of different traditional styles within different countries too) check out Fela Kuti and Amadou & Mariam.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 9, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Dog Jones posted:

Lately I've been getting into jazz a lot. I've been reading about the music theory and playing jazz with my friends, and listening to a lot of jazz albums that people recommend to me.

My favourite instrument is the guitar, and I'm having trouble finding recordings that feature a guitarist. Every now and then I hear a really nice song on the radio but I can never get the artist or the songs name. Does anyone know some jazz guitarists that I can look into, or some jazz albums that feature guitar on a lot of tracks?

If you like bossa nova and other kinds of mellow latin stuff check out Joao Gilberto. For classic swing you can't go wrong with Django Reinhardt.

Yoghurt posted:

Does anyone know much about breakbeat like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtd9_XFYO00

Or the rest of that album, come to think about it. The Ghetto Electro Chronicles, by Darwin Chamber.

This is downtempo breaks with a dubby influence to it, a lot of acid jazz and lounge has a similar sound. Check out Nightmares on Wax, DJ Shadow, and the labels Eighteenth Street Lounge (Thievery Corporation, Ursula 1000) and Ninja Tune (Coldcut, DJ Food, Bonobo)

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 15, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Cock Inspector posted:

Hey, if I really like Boys Noize, what other people should I look into? What's the best name to approximate his genre?

I've listened to Justice, too, but find their stuff to be less intense. I particularly like all the vocoder work and the intense breakdowns in Boys Noize.

Thanks in advance.

They're both Electro House, just slightly different styles / use of filters. For real grindy breakdown-heavy stuff thats a little faster and poundier than Justice check out Digitalism, Vitalic, MSTRKRFT, Wolfgang Gartner, Das Glow and Surkin. As for stuff with more vocoders, can't go wrong with Daft Punk.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Country music and electronica. Has anyone ever combined them? And I don't just mean electronica that samples country music. I have the word "glitch-tonk" stuck in my head and I need to know if it exists or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdlHmzIdn8
congratulations, you have now heard The Worst Song In Existence

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Urban Wizard posted:

I know it's not exactly kosher to ask for artists similar to one artist here, but last.fm hasn't really been giving me any results that I like. I'm looking for someone similar to Pendulum, and when I say that, I mean I'm really looking for the heavy, pounding style of the song Slam and/or the style presented in the songs Hold Your Colour and The Other Side. I haven't been able to find anything I like yet. Any help/recs would be appreciated, even if they're from last.fm.

Pendulum kinda has their own unique style, they're generally the same tempo and stuff as 'jungle' so that's probably what Last.FM and stuff are recommending you, but compared to typical jungle like Aphrodite and Shy FX, Pendulum uses a less aggressive beat, they've also got the electro-pop vocals and synth stuff that's more like other Australian dance-pop bands. So, if you like the jungle type stuff with a fast beat and real gnarly bass, try Concord Dawn, Black Sun Empire and Noisia. Otherwise, maybe see if you like The Presets, Cut Copy or Midnight Juggernauts. Also try The Prodigy, and these are a little less similar but maybe try Rob Dougan and Apoptygma Berzerk.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Cat in a hat posted:

I've got a bit of a problem. Normally I only listen to Rock (Hendrix, Qotsa and what have you), but I seem to have a guilty pleasure in some drum and bass, I think. I've never really bothered going outside your standard Prodigy/chemical brothers thing, and those are the only in my collection. However, today I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPUNOBViV4&feature=related

I really love whatever it is that's going on here, and I feel like maybe I should try to explore this genre rather than going 'no, I'm a rock'n'rolla', so I'd really like any and all suggestions. A quick look around stuff like Last.fm has led me to Pendulum and The Qemists, but neither really click for me, so I'm hoping someone can get me kickstarted into the world of electronic music.

Edit: After listening to the sonica guy, on this page, I figured that's actually pretty good too, doesn't seem very aggressive, but I wouldn't mind suggestions in that direction either.

Edit: vvv I'm not big on The Kinks, but I'll whip out Village Green Preservation Society every once in a while. I'm not sure but I think the consensus is that Lola vs. Powerman is their high point. Both are very decent albums though.
If you like Spor but not Pendulum or the Qemists, you should probably try more of the 'dark d&b' styles like darkstep. Check out Ed Rush & Optical, Raiden, Noisia, Technical Itch, Evol Intent, Dieselboy, Black Sun Empire, Counterstrike and Teebee

*edit: In my infinite ignorance I forgot Photek who is probably better than all of those other guys

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 5, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Alright, I really need to get in touch with current. My lack of knowledge is starting to bug me when I'm at a party and friends ask me about a song, and I have no idea what they're talking about, to which they think I'm crazy. So, I've been listening to Pandora, and have been adding different varieties of new music. So far I have:

Lady GaGa
Sean Kingston
Little Boots
Rihanna
Flo Rida

Are there others I should be adding that kind of fall along the lines of this? I guess I'm just looking for what's current, new, and well... good.
Kanye West, Santogold, Lykke Li, Kid Cudi, Ladyhawke, Passion Pit

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Laudanom posted:

Here is a giant list of all the bullshit subgenres for electronic music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres

You are probably safe with dubstep, roughly defined as an emphasis on spare beats and heavy bass to create a darker mood. Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS38JBh5gcw&feature=related

Er, this (the closing song for the Wire I mean) is not dubstep at all, it's a lot closer to chillout or instrumental hip hop. If you like this check out Ninja Tune Records (especially the Herbalizer, Four Tet, Cinematic Orchestra and DJ Food), DJ Shadow and Thievery Corporation. If you like stuff that has rapping, try Nas, Q-Tip and Mobb Deep. I mean, Burial's probably a good recommendation, but most dubstep sounds nothing like this.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 10, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Schurik posted:

I'm looking for some melodic wall-of-sound stuff, to block out some unwanted poo poo in my head. I like and and have had good experiences with Radiohead (i.e. Everything in it's right place), some stuff by Moby, the one or other NIN song, stuff like that. As long as I can blare it over headphones, it maintains this wall of sound while stying melodic, it helps. Any suggestion is appreciated, no matter how outlandish.

You'll want to check out the downtempo or chillout genre for sure, it's atmospheric and generally instrumental music that has more of a beat and a melody than ambient so it's interesting without being distracting, and VERY well appreciated with headphones. Boards of Canada, Air, Future Sound of London, Ulrich Schnauss, Nosaj Thing and William Orbit are a pretty good spread of different styles.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

cant wait to post!! posted:

Can some of you fine gentlemen point me in a good direction to start off with Björk? I recently stumbled upon 2 of her tracks on youtube, "Hyperballad" and "Hunter," both of which I really digged. What is a good album to start off with? other similar songs?

Get Homogenic (more slow and orchestral, it has Hunter, and you'll probably also like Joga, Bachelorette and All Is Full of Love) and Post (more dancey, it has Hyperballad and some other good tracks include Army of Me, Isobel, Possibly Maybe). In general, her albums go from more poppy and dancey to more abstract and ambient in chronological order, she doesn't really have a 'bad album'.

Morganus_Starr posted:

I'm always grooving to all the Mercury Program albums, and the new one is pretty good also. Can anyone recommend me any similar music?

A few of the particulars I dig: minimal vocals/instrumental
above average drum technique/percussion/production
xylophones (!!!)
atmospheric but with a somewhat defined song structure

help me out !

Mercury Program reminds me a lot of Maserati, Do Make Say Think, Red Sparowes and Tortoise. I don't think any of them use xylophones but they do use a wide variety of less typical instruments, and Tortoise especially has a really good drummer. The guy who's looking for stuff vaguely along the lines of Mogwai /Sigur Ros / GY!BE should check them out as well.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 3, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Killy posted:

For a request... Lately I've been in the mood for some really chill downtempo lounge music.. Kinda like world music with unique instruments or trip hop loungy groove music... I have NO idea how to explain what I'm looking for... Kinda a cross between Putumayo like musical style and stuff like Thievery Corporation
Try Banco de Gaia, Loop Guru, Future Sound of London, DJ Cheb i Sabbah, Transglobal Underground, Afro Celt Sound System, William Orbit, Orbital, Bola and Irresistible Force

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

stairway to hippo posted:

Are there any bands out there other than Zombi who make instrumental, synth-based music that's heavily indebted to 70's horror soundtracks?

*edited shitpost into something more relevant before het smacks down with the banhammer*

Compositionally Zombi's more like classic kraut/space/prog like Hawkwind, Ash Ra Tempel, Amon Duul II, Eloy, and Captain Beyond but for more synthy stuff you might try Morgan Geist, Quiet Village, and Lindstrom & Prins Thomas. That '70s horror' sound, if I'm thinking of the same stuff you are like Italian movies, has a characteristic 'disco-ish' element to it, which is experiencing a big revival lately even if there aren't many bands besides Zombi who combine disco and prog directly. These are a little more off the wall but maybe also give Here We Go Magic, Yeasayer, and Maserati a try...

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 11, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for some good nautical/ocean themed albums to listen to. I don't really want any gimmicky stuff like Alestorm, but metal is fine.

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

screaden posted:

So I'm absolutely loving Major Lazer's latest, and want to explore the dub/dancehall/reggae-or-whatever-the-gently caress side of things but really don't know where to start. I had a look at last.fm and a lot of the recommendation were for Diplo's contemporaries like Bloody Beetroots, Tiga etc, which is not what I'm looking for. Although it turn up Vavamuffin which seemed pretty cool

Also, no Bob Marley
Dub and reggae are gonna get you more of the laid back Bob Marley type stuff, for the more aggro 'riddims' you want the stuff called 'ragga' or 'dancehall' (maybe someone who knows more about the genre can explain the difference) Some good mcs to check out are Cutty Ranks, Admiral Bailey, Eek-A-Mouse, Buju Banton, Yellowman, Shabba Ranks and Barrington Levy, if you like more hip hop crossover type stuff also try Vybz Kartel, Bounty Killa, Elephant Man, Shaggy, Beenie Man and Sean Paul. If you also like classic jungle try Rebel MC AKA Conquering Lion / Tribe of Issachar / Congo Natty, Shy FX, Andy C, and Remarc.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Uncle Marx posted:

I've recently listened to excerpts of works of Philip Glass and would like to get more into this artist. Problem is, his discography is massive, spanning from his ensemble to solo works to symphonies and more.

I have no idea where to start. What would you consider good entry points/must-haves/milestones from Glass?

Itaipu / The Canyon, Music in Twelve Parts, Akhenaten, Glassworks, Metamorphoses for Piano and the Mishima soundtrack imo

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 10, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Hitlazers posted:

I'm feeling blown away by Mary Ann Hobbs' Wild Angels compilation - in particular Brackles - LHC, Untold - Discipline, Hudson Mohawke - Spotted [Neve Mix] and Legion of Two - And Now We Wait. I'm really into Bibio, edIT, Hudson Mohawke and Flying Lotus right now and come from a background of being crazy into Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada and Venetian Snares and I want to know where to go.

Take Wild Angels as a start point - I really love the music and when I look it up on last.fm or Youtube it's all "bro, dubstep", but I feel like 90% of dubstep is all wobbly-bassed Eastern Jam knock-offs. I'm clearly illiterate in the genre but don't really want to take the time to wade through crap, or the minor EPs of the people on Wild Angels, to get to what I want.

I'm pretty much trying to narrow a large spectrum of things I need to taste into a couple of quality, interesting artists/albums to pursue. Even another compilation recommendation would be welcome - I'm really enjoying some Fabric and FabricLive stuff right now as well.

Cheers, NMD.

You're on the right track looking up Fabric mixes, a lot of the popular good djs lately have released one and they cover a lot of genres so you'll probably find a variety of stuff you like. As for finding new artists, I would suggest looking up which labels some of your favorite artists release tracks on, and getting other releases. I'm not really a dubstep head so there's probably stuff more similar to what you talk about but a few artists releasing good stuff that aren't too wobbly are Martyn, Joy Orbison, Rustie, Mala and Nosaj Thing. Also try Modeselektor & Apparat's album 'Moderat'

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

rotor DX posted:

^^^a chemical bros best-of is prolly a good start^^^

I've wanted to hear more worrywort (yes by RADIOHEAD) since I got the internet.
someone tell me some ambient band took this as a jump-off point for an album.

youtube

(Ima 13 y.o. girl)

Try Jesse Somfay, Mum, Bjork's newer albums, or Aphex Twin's ambient works albums

As for my own mystery, this might not exist but does anyone know of any artists that combine goa/psytrance with rapping? or dancehall style mcing?

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 15, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

alcoholiday posted:

I'm looking for music similar to Lou Barlow's work on the Kids soundtrack.

Both ambient stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1cU2hbnP30 -- the people in the comments there suggest Boards of Canada, I guess that's a good start. [Does anyone know what produces sounds like this? Maybe a synth flute reversed or something?]

And also the more rock stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GJ9IhY6BpE -- sounds kind of like some early Sonic Youth to me, but a little cleaner and with more reverb.
That sound you're talking about in the first one is some kind of analog synth, I'm not sure which one. The genre you're looking for (and what Boards of Canada is paying homage to) is called 'library music', the kind of stuff they used to use in BBC programs, documentaries and educational stuff in the 70s, usually written by little-known commercial composers for the purpose of licensing so you're better looking it up by label than by artist. You might try Vangelis, Jean-Michel Jarre and Tangerine Dream, though they're not exactly what I'm talking about they're the closest 'big names' i can think of.
For the second, try Polvo, Swans, Tortoise and Slint.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

shpladoinkle posted:

Could I get a helping of melodic dance/pop electronica like Passion Pit? They're my intro into the genre and I'm really diggin it. Much thanks.

Try MGMT, M83 and Cut Copy

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

juamasos posted:

I just discovered Utah Saints, can y'all recommend groups with a similar sound? "Power to the Beats" is my favorite Utah Saints track, if that helps.

edit: I'm also really into Capsule, know of anything similar? Thanks

Like Utah Saints: check out Dee-Lite, The Shamen, Pragha Khan, Westbam, X-Press 2 and Real McCoy

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Saint Rockhopper posted:

Two requests:

1. Female rappers. I've listened to a few songs with female rappers (some by P.O.S. for instance) and thought they were great. For reference, my favorite rappers in general are Blackalicious, Nas, and Tupac.

Check out Lauryn Hill, Missy Elliot, Jean Grae, Eve, Queen Latifah, Bahamadia, and Rah Digga... MC Lyte is also great if you like more classic stuff. Also the band Buraka Som Sistema has a female lead and they're great.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 29, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Regression posted:

I'm always thankful if anyone introduces me to any melancholic house music (I'm pretty clueless)! Been watching the electro/house thread, but it tends to be more dancy music there.

Check out this track and if it's kind of along the lines of what you're thinking of, try Gui Boratto, The Field, James Holden, Nathan Fake and Jesse Somfay. All house is pretty dancey though, just some of it is in a minor key :confused: There's a lot of stuff that I'd kinda call 'sunrise house' in the deep house kind of sphere that is a little more 'romantic' and less 'cheerful' I guess, if you think like this house is 'melancholy', it's not as dirgey and repetitive as the minimal and progressive stuff can get.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

baberaham lincoln posted:

I'm looking for 90's breakbeat hardcore/jungle/drum'n'bass recs. I started at a weird place, with Zomby's Where Were U In 92 and have enjoyed Bong-Ra, 2 Bad Mice, Grooverider (I've only heard Mysteries of Funk, which isn't really as dance-y as I had hoped) and (to a lesser degree) Plug. I'm a little intimidated by all the singles and dub plates out there, so albums or compilations would be better.

Definitely check out Shitmat - Full English Breakfest for more on the kind of crazy breakcore side of things a la Bong Ra. For compilation albums of classic breakbeat hardcore, a few I found on discogs with nice tracklists for that genre are Rave Alert released on Telstar records, Best of Rave from Low Price Music, and Raving Mad from Elevate, but understand that since this is a niche genre that's been dead for like 15 years now and most of the originals WERE 12" only and not released on official cd albums, compilations of the 'classics' are going to be increasingly out of print, you might even hit up a record store with a good 'discount cd' section and see if you find anything good there. As for classic jungle, there's one called 'Old Skool Jungle' from Relentless Records that is sick and seems pretty easy to find. Sorry about the vague names but that's compilation records for you, other than major series they're all 'Ultimate *Genre*" or "*Genre* Hits"...

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

PDMChubby posted:

A probably pretty generic/obvious request, but I have such a hard time finding this: psychedelic, spacey, guitar/organ-driven types of songs or artists. Basically the sound I'm looking for is Bowie's "Moonage Daydream", Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like An Eagle", and Pink Floyd's "Time" (and to a lesser extent, the rest of DSotM). Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter" also has a similar style I guess. Anything similar to those would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I'm stupid and don't know the difference between songs on Houses of the Holy.

You should check out the entire genres of space rock and krautrock, really. Try Captain Beyond, Amon Duul II, Eloy, Hawkwind and Gong to begin with. Also, I don't think you mentioned how much you are already into progressive but Gentle Giant, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer and Caravan are all good and have a lot of mellower songs more along these lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Poop Delicatessen posted:

A friend of mine got me hooked on Dan Deacon recently (specifically Bromst) and I'm hunting for similar stuff. Specifically, I really enjoy the "noisier" aspects of his music, and his tendency to slowly build on repetitive samples over time to go from simple melody to layered walls of sound.

Try gently caress Buttons, HEALTH, Black Moth Super Rainbow and The Field