Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Iraff posted:

I'd really like to get into some beautiful electronic ambient stuff. Can you recommend the genre staples? Or superb unknowns? Or anything that fits, I suppose.

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped with my previous requests. This thread is indispensable.

The Orb, Tangerine Dream, Fennesz, Ulrich Schnauss, Yagya and the previously listed artists are a pretty good range of different styles of ambient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Pious Pete posted:

I'm looking for some good string-emphasized chamber pop in the same vein as Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy, Pale Young Gentlemen, and Andrew Bird. Any suggestions?

Check out Rachel's

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

poronty posted:

Hey NMD, my first time in this subforum. Please recommend awesome country music to a non-american whose knowledge in country is less than zero.

I've always vaguely liked the sound of American country songs but never cared much for the singing and the schmaltzy lyrics. So I'm probably looking for some purely or mostly instrumental country, if there is even such a thing. What I love most are insane banjo and violin riffs, ultra-rich soundscapes, and, well, anything that sort of diverges from the standard country tropes while still staying firmly in the country realm.

Check out the whole genre called Bluegrass, it's predominately instrumental and when it does have lyrics they're usually upbeat and gospel-y rather than croony and melodromatic. Besides Alison Krauss, Bela Fleck, Flatt & Scruggs & The Foggy Mountain Boys and some other really mainstream artists i don't really know many specifics but there's a ton of great folk musicians that are relative unknowns out there so you might be better off just randomly browsing on amazon.com or getting some compilation album. The sountrack for the movie 'O Brother Where Art Thou' was really good too.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 10, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Funyon posted:

Thanks for the post-hardcore recommendations guys, most of them are pretty good.

Now I'm going to ask for something completely different. I've never been big into pop or club type music. I'm looking for recommendations of club remixes of popular songs. I've been listening to United States of Pop 2009, and am loving the hell out of it. But that's really as far as my experience goes with that type of music.

I've also been trying to get into some rap. Again, I really don't have any experience with the genre. But I love Hypnotize by Biggie Smalls if that's any help.

Check these out, I guarantee if you went out to a 'dance nite' at a typical club in the US you'd hear a couple if not all of these tracks:
Ke$ha - Tik Tok (Fred Falke Club Remix)
Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (Chew Fu remix)
David Guetta feat. Akon - Sexy Bitch (Chuckie remix)
Black Eyed Peas - Meet Me Halfway (Richard Vission remix)
Shakira feat Kid Cudi - Did It Again (Benny Benassi remix)
Rihanna - Russian Roulette (Tony Moran & Warren Rigg Club Remix)
David Guetta feat Estelle - One Love (Avicii remix)
Cheryl Cole feat Will.i.am - 3 Words (Steve Angello remix)

As for rap, see if you like Tupac, Snoop Dogg, Nas, Dr. Dre and KRS-One.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 15, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Full Circle posted:

I've fallen hard for prog/alt rock the past few years, but I fear I've run out of bands. Thus far I have greatly enjoyed most everything by The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Karmakanic, Pink Floyd, and In the Court of the Crimson King, but not much of King Crimson's other work. I haven't been able to find another band I could get into for months. Any suggestions?

Check out Yes, Hawkwind, Gentle Giant and Emerson, Lake & Palmer

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

A lot of world music purists would scoff at this but maybe it would help to pick up some sort of Putumayo compilation or other broad-ranged album that has information about which countries / cultures the songs come from, and then ask for recs along those certain lines? Just that asking basically for reccomendations for 'non-white music' is almost as broad a 'genre' as asking for 'music with singing in it'.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Well eat poo poo HAI 'cause unbearably boring music is my raison d'etre! There's pretty much an 'ambient' version of every kind of electronic dance music other than hardcore maybe. Even LTJ bukem is kind of like 'ambient jungle', lmao. All the listed artists are good but here's some others.

More ambient house recs: Future Sound of London, Banco De Gaia, Orbital, Global Communication and Loop Guru

Ambient techno: Pole, Monolake, Deadbeat, Pete Namlook, Jan Jelinek, Luomo/Vladislav Delay, Anders Ilar, Deepchord, Basic Channel, Thomas Fehlmann

Ambient breaks (also crosses over a lot with Downtempo and Trip-Hop, this is what I'd call BoC and Shadow): Nosaj Thing, Bonobo, Nightmares on Wax, Air, Wagon Christ, Plaid, some of Autechre, Amon Tobin and Aphex Twin's stuff but they also get hard and aggro

Also try the stuff called psydub or psychill (Bluetech, Entheogenic, Solar Fields)

Also click the ? under my name cause i'm pretty sure i've reccomended loungey / downtempo stuff to ppl in this thread before and i don't have a very good memory.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 3, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

^ The lead singer of Rush kinda sounds like a woman

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Im after some more Scandinavian/European electro or something to that effect. Examples being The Knife, Royksopp, Zeigiest

\/\/ Have a quick look at the song Haze by a abdn called Ephrat. Unfortunatley none of the other songs they have have a female vocalist. Its pretty proggy tho.

umm... Erlend Oye and Trentemoller are probably the most like those artists, but all over the genre map here's some more: Jaga Jazzist, Apoptygma Berzerk, Eric Prydz & The Swedish House Mafia (Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso & Axwell) Basshunter, The Field, Texas Faggott, mum and Bjork. If Dutch, German or Belgian are close enough also try Ulrich Schnauss, Isolee, Legowelt, Kraftwerk, DJ Hell, Alter Ego, Apparat, Modeselektor, Ian Pooley, Don Diablo, Laidback Luke, Soulwax, Ferry Corsten and Sander Van Doorn. If you like those last two there's a ton of loving trance that comes out of Scandinavia tho I'm not too versed in it myself, also a lot of that on the mainland but more tending towards minimal techno and progressive house. If you like those two genres I can give you a laundry list cause probably the majority of good artists that make them are from northern europe, PM me if you want more

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 17, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

I recently heard (or actually, I'm listening to it now) the collaboration between Burial and Four Tet, namely the track Moth. It's absolutely amazing, like hearing a party next door through the walls. What's the genre called, and can anyone recommend some more?

I've heard both Burial and Four Tet solo albums, and while they're great in their own way, it's nothing like the collaboration.

I'd call it minimal / progressive house even though you're right, neither of Burial nor Four Tet's solo works sounds anything like it. Check out Nathan Fake, The Field, Jesse Somfay, Marc Romboy & Stephan Bodzin, and Kollektiv Turmstrasse.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

slowdave posted:

What's a good Philip Glass? I've actually only heard Glassworks, Einstein on the Beach and Akhnaten and a couple of unremarkable soundtracks.

The two Bunt listed are good but for deeper cuts try Itaipu / The Canyon, his soundtrack to Mishima, and Music in Twelve Parts

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Jedah posted:

I'm huge fan of Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Capsula, Younger Brother, Ott (especially Skylon).. Lots of artists off the Twisted label. A bunch of their music can be heard here: http://www.twistedmusic.com/

I'm looking for more music and artists like this. I guess the genres would be: Psytrance, Electronic/Dub, Psychedelic. Any recommendations?

Check out Bluetech, GMS, Vibesquad, The Infinity Project, Cosmosis, Etnica, Infected Mushroom (their older stuff is better than newer imo), Spiralianz and Texas Faggott. Socket Ryanist also made a psytrance thread that was pretty good, it's probably on an older page by now. Also get a couple compilation albums from the label Yellow Sunshine Explosion, they're almost all goa or psytrance or psy-something.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Iraff posted:

I really love Kaskade's the Grand, but beyond that, I'm some what of a house baby. Can anyone give me some progressive/deep house recommendations (or any house in general tbh)?

check out Miguel Migs (also w/ band Petalpusher), Mark Farina, Deep Dish, Pepe Bradock, The Timewriter and Frankie Knuckles. p much everything off Om records is good also.
if you want stuff that's a bit more Ibiza ish like Kaskade tho check out Axwell, Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso and David Morales
for progressive house try Paolo Mojo, Sander Kleinenberg, Desyn Masiello and Henrik Schwartz

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 21, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

10987 posted:

Does anyone know any stuff that has lightish instrumental music over hip-hop drum beats? I don't know if it's a specific genre, but a couple of examples are Matt Marque's songs, which I just love, and also the backing music from this random Youtube video I stumbled across recently (sorry about the added religion).

This genre is called Downtempo [Breakbeats] AKA Chillout AKA Instrumental Hip Hop AKA Future Lounge AKA the genre used on Adult Swim bumps... you also might want to check out Trip-Hop, Nu-Jazz and Ambient Breaks as they're all pretty similar. A few artists to check out are Wagon Christ, DJ Spooky, RJD2, Air, DJ Shadow, Air, Nightmares on Wax and Dabrye, along with pretty much the entire Ninja Tune roster - The Cinematic Orchestra, Jaga Jazzist, Bonobo, Funki Porcini, Skalpel and DJ Food are my favorites (along with Amon Tobin but he does a lot of high-tempo drum and bass type stuff too). I used to spin this stuff so send me a PM if you need more.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

ham hock posted:

I'm a big fan of electropop/progressive house/breakbeat/downtempo stuff, and I'm looking to expand my repatoire. some of my current favorites include:

-MSTRKRFT
-Danger
-Deadmea5
-Junior Boys
-The Toxic Avengers

I know it's a pretty wide net I'm casting here but I think the common thread is loud, overpowering synth useage and a bit on the repetitive side (good for long runs or sex). If you can think of anything that follows the along these lines give me some reccomendations.
The House megathread is full of stuff right up your alley. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238075

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Octorok posted:

I need more music like "Let's Go away for Awhile" off of Pet Sounds.

To elaborate, I'm pretty much looking for interesting instrumental music be it classical, post-rock, ambient, or ideally some avante-garde stuff that a mainstream musician made and never got any love.
Only thing I'm partially averse to are most forms of electronica, but I'll still check anyting out.

Stuff like Yann Tierson is great, and I'm also looking for alternate recommendations for similiar artists, but what I'm specifically looking for has much more of a psychedelic pop/instrumental rock vibe.

Lack of vocals are a plus, but not necessary.

Olivia Tremor Control is one of my favorite bands ever, and they would be perfect if their instrumental tracks weren't just experimental transitions.

Check out Quiet Village, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean Michel Jarre, Harmonia, Ozric Tentacles, Mike Oldfield, Mercury Rev, Philip Glass, Henry Cow and Medeski, Martin & Wood. Other bands I can think of that have a lot of songs like what you've described but also have vocal and/or more uptempo rockin stuff are Procol Harum, Marillion, Porcupine Tree and Tortoise. Also you mentioned that you don't like electronic, but if you change your mind, give Royksopp, Wagon Christ, Atom Heart, The Cinematic Orchestra, Cornelius and Tangerine Dream a try.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 7, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Roil posted:

So I'm reaaaaaally into The Glitch Mob lately - glitch hop, grimey, hip hop speed music. Who else should I be looking into for this kind of sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnVduIY75Y

Check out Bassnectar, Sub Swara, eDit

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

the Bunt posted:

I need some loving music. By which I mean shagging music. Preferably not the standard Marvin Gaye/Barry White black soul type music. Though that's fine too if it's a really good song.

If you want something a little slower and more sensual, go with trip-hop or chillout like Portishead or Thievery Corporation. For a more uptempo fuckathon, you can't go wrong with bangin' rear end electro house, this thread has a lot of good stuff but check out specifically Fake Blood and Jack Beats. You can pm me for more specific reccomendations if either of those genres are along the lines of what you're looking for but it shouldn't be hard to find good artists and labels reading up a ltitle.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

Crono some of Nine Inch Nails work I think are "concept songs" but the only "concept album" goign by a quick read of Wiki is Year Zero, which I've not listened to.

I'm looking for music similar to Cornelius, especially the track "Drop".

Try Ken Ishii, Towa Tei, Takako Minekawa, Shinichi Osawa, and Pizzicato Five ... The sound of 'Drop' in particular reminds me more of the west coast American deep house sound like Kaskade or Miguel Migs, Naked Music, Om Records kind of stuff though.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Iraff posted:

Is microhouse worth getting into? Where do i start?

Yeah, I think so. Get Akufen's Fabric 17 and Daniel Bell - The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back as an intro to the North American style that got labeled first as 'microhouse', but also check out Perlon Records Superlongevity 3 (or 2, or 4, they're all good really, just get the mixed cd not the unmixed compilation album) and Dominik Eulberg - Kreucht & Fleucht which is more like the German style - this kind of stuff is usually called minimal house or just minimal these days cause it crosses over so much with minimal techno. Another German one I like a lot is Tiefschwarz's Time Warp mix. From there you should start checking out individual artists you like and see what labels they release stuff on and get more of their compilation albums, microhouse (or 'minimal house' as theyve pretty much become synonymous). are singles oriented genres where many artists don't put out full length albums, just mixes and compilations. A few full CDs i like a lot though are Noze - Songs on the Rocks and Wighnomy Bros - Remikks Potpourri 1 and 2.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 7, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

beard trends posted:

I need some more jazz, specifically stuff like:
Charles Mingus, esp. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Miles Davis, esp. Bitches Brew and the Jack Johnson album
John Coltrane

But especially Mingus. I love me some Mingus.

Check out Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Anthony Braxton, Sun Ra, Pharoah Sanders, Eric Dolphy and the Art Ensemble of Chicago. There's a big range between "accessible and bebop-y" more like the stuff you posted and "unlistenable dissonant improvisation" when it comes to free jazz though, so maybe someone who knows more about it can recommend a few albums in particular. I remember there being a really good jazz thread in EW where people discussed this period a lot so I'd try and find that, i think it was just called "this forum needs a jazz thread" or something like that.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

poop posted:

On a different tangent, artists similar to Boyz Noize, Justice, SebastiAn, Danger, MSTRKRFT and Bloody Beetroots? (basically any of those more heavy electro artists)

Check out Vitalic, Fake Blood, Jack Beats, Designer Drugs, AC Slater, Herve, Lazy Rich, Brodinski and Nadastrom

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2010