Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Hooplah posted:

So my taste in music has been expanding in the last few months and I was hoping to get some direction from you guys. I recently found the band Pinback and instantly fell in love (thanks to someone in the last rec thread). I've also been listening to Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You, recent Deerhoof albums, Have A Nice Life, and anything Team Sleep has done (which unfortunately is a short list). Basically, I'm looking for anything that has a similar sound/aesthetic/whatever you can think of that relates these bands to each other, or perhaps that branch out further into that(those) genre(s).

As an aside, my interests have mostly contained the genres:
post-hardcore (Fall of Troy, Finch, Sound of Animals Fighting, Bear Vs. Shark, Rx Bandits, mewithoutYou)
math rock (Don Caballero, Tera Melos, anything Zach Hill related)
post-rock or metal (Russian Circles, Yndi Halda, Mogwai, Samuel Jackson Five, Pax Cecilia)
and other stuff I don't really classify like Deftones, Thrice, Coheed & Cambria, Edison Glass, 65daysofstatic

I feel like I'm leaning more and more towards shoegaze but I've tried listening to the classic recommendations from the last thread for the genre (or trip-hop I guess) like MBV, Slowdive, Morcheeba, etc. but they don't really do much for me. Should I just try to dive into this stuff head-on and listen to it until I "get" it, or am I completely off the mark with the bands I listed?

Try Dredg, Mutemath, Dance Gavin Dance and if you like Coheed, try Claduio's side project "Prize Fighter Inferno"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Derised posted:

I've really been getting into instrumental tracks from the likes of Blockhead and DJ Shadow so if anyone had any suggestions for anything similar to those, that'd be pretty cool :)

Try MF Doom's Special Herbs series, they come in a bunch of volumes, or a couple long songs.

also most RJD2 is in the same vein.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Someone care to recommend me some bands based on these?

mewithoutyou
Mutemath
Dredg
Glassjaw
Lostprophets
Finch
Thrice

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I want some more "white" boy funk, or modern upbeat funk like Chromeo or Jamiroquai. Also, some funk along the lines of Funkadelic's Maggot Brain (funky, spacey, epic as hell etc)

Hooplah posted:

Give La Dispute a listen. Quite a bit like mewithoutyou but maybe a bit harder. Vega and Altair is a very powerful album.

drat. This is good and a very accurate description.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

CommissarRed posted:

Can anyone recommend me some female rock bands? I've listened to Paramore and I really like them, but I'm looking for more. I like bands like Thrice, Rise Against, etc etc. I'd prefer bands along these lines rather than bands like Kitty and The Donnas.

Heart, Heart, a thousand times Heart. A lot bands with girls (Like Flyleaf) are just a generic rock band with a girl thrown in for the sake of having a girl. But Heart? They define what it means to be a female, and to rock. I'd get Dreamboat Annie, but there is usually just as much love for Little Queen.

Also, Metric.

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 25, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Severed posted:

I've inexplicably become a huge fan of Rush in the past few weeks. What started as a curiosity has really gotten out of hand and I ended up buying Moving Pictures, Signals, Presto, Counterparts, Test For Echo. I'm looking at picking up Grace Under Pressure and Permanent Waves as well.

What else should I look into beyond the scope of Rush? This kind of music has largely gone by me unnoticed. Recommendations?

Most of their early stuff is good. Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres and even A Caress Of Steel. Their self titled is without Neil Peart and sounds like typical blues rock of the 70's, but its still worth listening to I think.

If you like live albums, I haven't heard a bad live Rush album yet, Different Stages is my favourite.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What are some good, modern pop albums? I've been listening to Justin Timberlake's Futuresex/Lovesounds, and I'm convinced its the best pop album since the 80's when Prince or Michael Jackson released something.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Tweaker1 posted:

I don't know what the forums opinion is on it.

But Lady Gaga's The Fame I would recommend.

I've listened to it, it's not for me. I did like that Just Dance song, never saw the video but heard in on this Nike compilation and thought it was good, but the rest of the album wasn't that great, then I saw how she dressed.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
This is more of lyrical themes, then a genre. But what are some good English speaking bands/artists, whose lyrics generally deal with the life in other, non English speaking countries, good or bad.

(Like K'Naan and Somalia, or M.I.A about Sri Lanka)

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
shut the gently caress up about rap music and recommend me some more Stevie Wonder other then Innvervisions.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I want some metal that's extremely fast/heavy with clean(not growling) vocals, like Strapping Young Lad or Death's last album. I also want some technical death metal, I have all of Death's, Necrophagist's and Decapitated's albums already.

edit: I'm also not a very big fan of death metal, but I strangely like Cryptopsy a lot so any recommendations on that would be nice.

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 3, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

What is your favorite fun or summery-sounding reggae album? I'm looking for that, and if your first thought has to do with Bob Marley or 311 please don't recommend me anything.

So if you're a reggae fan, and someone asks for some reggae and their first thought is the most popular reggae artist of all time, you don't want their recommendations?

Alright I guess.. I'll just wait for someone else as it appears I am not qualified.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I want some metal that's extremely fast/heavy with clean(not growling) vocals, like Strapping Young Lad or Death's last album. I also want some technical death metal, I have all of Death's, Necrophagist's and Decapitated's albums already.

edit: I'm also not a very big fan of death metal, but I strangely like Cryptopsy a lot so any recommendations on that would be nice.

repeating this

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

BigEast55 posted:

Im looking for some stuff to "bump" too in my car... some good hip-hop/rap. I really like me some Kanye and the hillarious lyrics of Lil' Wayne and I've been digging Q-Tip lately and certainly like N.E.R.D. as well, anything with a nice beat and some solid lyrics (even if they are awful enough to be hillarious) would be appreciated.

Try Blackalicious' The Craft

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

apoptosis posted:

Metric

Have you tried Emily Haine's solo work?

I've been listening to a lot of Metric, and listening to bands resembling them, which is electronic/pop rock with a female singer. Birthday Massacre, The Knife, Bat For Lashes

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

RollingBoBo posted:

Lupe Fiasco! He became my idol and I like all of his tracks. His flow is crazy, the beats behind are loving great. I just love his music. Anything similar?

Not too similar, but I've been listening to Drake's So Far Gone a lot lately and I keep thinking of Lupe Fiasco while I listen to it, and a song featuring the two of them would probably be pretty good.

I also recommend either Dead Prez album and K'Naan's Dusty Foot Philosopher, based on lyrical content I guess.

omgwtfitszee posted:

Has anybody got a good acoustic band, similar in style to Meiko, that isn't too emo? I love acoustic but frankly a lot of the acoustic artists just seem to put all their rants and raves into wordy 2 minute pieces of crap.
I'm a fan of Daphne Loves Derby (to an extent, some of their stuff fits in the description I just made) and Meg & Dia's acoustic stuff.
I basically just want some acoustic that isn't too obscure and isn't too emo. Although, I can settle for one versus the other.

Have you heard Mountain Goats?

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 27, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Dandy Cat posted:

I have found very recently that I really really enjoy blues style music. I know it's bad to get musical tastes from Guitar Hero, but I really enjoy Stevie Ray Vaughan. Pride and joy is my favorite so far. I'm looking for more music that sounds like this. I guess it's blues, if it's not feel free to correct me and ram it down my throat etc.

All I'm really looking for is more music that sounds like this!

Thanks in advance.

Get some Kenny Wayne Shepard, some of the best SRV worship around.

omgwtfitszee posted:

That was the most amazing suggestion ever. Do you have any more similar to that? I'm open to folk rock as well. I'm a bit new to the acoustic/folk scene but I love it. I'm just a bit tired of the same old emo bands trying their hand at acoustic.

Nick Drake is some of my favourite acoustic music, but he is pretty "emo" as it were, except he lived, recorded and died by 1974, so it's not really "emo" music, just incredibly emotional. Emo kids also seem to love him, but so do legitimate music fans, because he's great.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Not counting The Game what are some good 50 Cent/G Unit/G Unit member songs? I don't recall hearing any G Unit or G Unit member songs before, and the only 50 Cent I've heard was that song he did with Justin Timberlake and Eminem songs he appeared on.

and whats some good southern hip hop? All I know is Lil Wayne, Bun B/UGK and Chamillionaire.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Looking through my library, I realize my punk selection is 90% pop-punk and classic punk. What are some of good punk albums that came out in the past 10, 20 years?

I also want some death metal with vocals that don't sound like a garbled mess of growls.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

ilikechapstick posted:

So I really like working out to Lamb of God...mainly because of the heavy guitar and not so much the screaming. I could do without that honestly. I like Trivium as well for the same reasons.

Anything out there that has heavy, metal-esque guitar riffs, but a little less screaming? I realize that they probably go hand in hand but I might as well ask. I don't mind a little however.

Protest The Hero is probably what you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5I4qP0u8lQ - Bloodmeat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCdGNe3Bvs - Sequoia Throne

Death went from a normal 80's death metal band and evolved over their career to more progressive metal, ending with their final album which was their most clear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEPnGUPc5s&feature=PlayList&p=6F1D34D22513FB05&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=59 - Scavenger Of Human Sorrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quPliK3eAy4&feature=related - Painkiller (Judas Priest cover)

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Stagger_Lee posted:

scarface, outkast, three six mafia, really selected juvenile, david banner. i really love like 90% of t.i.'s and luda's singles, but that might be too clean to be what you're going for.

Already heard Outkast so I have some of theirs already, haven't heard Scarface beyond his Ruff ryder appearances, don't know any Juvenile, David Banner or Three Six Mafia. Any recommendations on albums?

I've had T.I's Paper Trail since it came out but never gave it a listen until this and I'm liking it. I've known about Ludacris for years but since I used to hate rap I always lumped him in with MTV hip hop. What are some good albums by him?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Listening to Death Of Autotune, I realized my library is lacking Jay Z. What's a good album by him? I already have Reasonable Doubt and a handful of his singles.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What are some good hip hop diss/fued tracks? Something like Ja Rule's Loose Change, and 50 Cents and Eminem's response, or the one sided Eminem vs Benzino tracks.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Here is an odd request. Would anyone recommend Solange Knoweles? As it turns out I must have downloaded her album at some point and I have never heard her, so I'm thinking I must have heard it recommended, or a good review of it or something.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Munky from KORN posted:

Has it occurred to you that it might be easier to just listen to it than to ask us?

That would require going home, putting it on my iPod and then listening to it.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Three things.

1. What is some good modern funk, or funk like music? I've been listening to Prince's Lotus Flowers (which is really, really loving great, I'd place it behind some of his classic albums its so good) and Jamiroquai a lot lately. I ask for modern, because I have plenty classic funk.

2. I want some metal that is extremely fast and heavy, but not death metal and with usually clean vocals. Something like Strapping Young Lad.

3. I've also been listening to Butterfingers, and I like them and want some more Australian or UK hip hop (thats not grime)

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

blankooie posted:

Hey everyone, I'm looking to expand my library a bit. I'm a big fan of the 80s thrash metal movement, with bands everyone knows like Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer..

Is there anything else left? I listen to some of the lesser known ones too, but finding more of them on my own is proving to be a challenge.

Death Angel, their first album and the following two are some of my favourite thrash albums, and despite me not being into metal anymore, all three find their way into my CD players/iPod still.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Electric Pez posted:

Recommend me some bands that sound like Stars please (other than Metric/Broken Social Scene).

Or just other indie-like bands that have decent lyrics/female vocalists. Maybe even some pianists.

Listen to "Lights", on top of being similar sounding she is also Canadian.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

OrganicRobot posted:

Does anyone know any bands that use a lot a carnival music influences? I know it's a weird request, but for some reason I really like the sound.

Not the entire band, but Tourniquet's Skeezix Dilemma has some Carnival riffs and always captured the idea of a terrifying clown killer for the rest of the song.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

MussoliniB posted:

This might seem like an odd request but I'm looking for bands that sound similar to the Flight of the Conchords songs 'Fashion is Danger' and 'Too Many Dicks.' I know about artists like LMFAO, Pitbull, Lady Gaga, 3oh!3, etc... But I'm looking for something a bit more dancy with lyrics. The lyrics don't really even have to be quality, I just like singing in my music. It doesn't have to be serious in tone either.

Do any bands like this exist?

Have you tried Chromeo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HFRtq1W9UY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLwQS_gndw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W2B2mAocDc&feature=related

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 5, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I'm having trouble getting into non-album Lil Wayne, I like most of his studio albums but the sheer amount of Lil Wayne material.

What are some good single tracks?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

HatchetDown posted:

A friend of mine told me to listen to Method Man's Tical and the Blackout albums and I loved them, especially Tical. Recommendations for a Wu Tang beginner?

Wu-Tang beginner? If you haven't gotten Enter The Wu-Tang, do so right away.

For solo, both of Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx are good. Ghostface Killah's Ironman and Supreme Clientele and GZA's Liquid Swords.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What are some good female rappers? I liked Bahmadia on Mr. Lif's new album. Anyone listen to her at all?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

seiferguy posted:

Alright, I really need to get in touch with current. My lack of knowledge is starting to bug me when I'm at a party and friends ask me about a song, and I have no idea what they're talking about, to which they think I'm crazy. So, I've been listening to Pandora, and have been adding different varieties of new music. So far I have:

Lady GaGa
Sean Kingston
Little Boots
Rihanna
Flo Rida

Are there others I should be adding that kind of fall along the lines of this? I guess I'm just looking for what's current, new, and well... good.

Asteroid Galaxy Tour, Tegan and Sara, Brand New, Lights, Metric

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Protokoll posted:

I'm looking for good bands with female vocalists -- that's really the only stipulation. I'm just now realizing that 80% of my favorite bands have female singers and I'm strangely drawn to that music for some reason. Some 'older' stuff I've enjoyed is Crystal Castles, The xx, Los Campesinos!, Architecture in Helsinki, The Blow, Mates of State, etc. Bonus points if it's rock, pop, or screamo.

Metric, Asteroid Galaxy Tour, Scarling, Jack Off Jill, Sinergy, Bat For Lashes, Birthday Massacre, Lights, Circle Takes The Square (dual/alternating male female vocals), The Ditty Bops, Tegan And Sara, Janelle Monae, Pretty Girls Make Graves. Most of those are pop, rock or hard rock.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Jetsetlemming posted:

Could someone recommend me some metal? I've never liked it in the past, really, the hardest my tastes ever got was Queens of the Stone Age, but Metalocalypse and the two Dethalbums have got me curious, because I really enjoy the music from that show and the albums released from it.

Pendulum is the best DNB I know of. Hold Your Color is closer to Drum N' Bass, while having a bunch of different kinds of songs, while In Silico is a bit more rock and uniform in sound, both are fantastic albums, though.
I first heard of them thanks to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9970dxQ2g

Try Between The Buried And Me's new album "The Great Misdirect", and their last one "Colors". Protest The Hero's Fortress, Necrophagists The Onset Of Putrifaction.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Foiltha posted:

I want ambient/triphopish music that sounds post-apocalyptic, dark and depressing. Moody soundscapes and depressing melodies that sound like you're the sole survivor after a nuclear war. Any recommendations?

Try Ulver's Lycantropen Themes, to me it fits everyone of those colorful descriptions you gave.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

ediment posted:

What's some music similar to Swell and Modest Mouse?

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Swell - 41 and Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West, but usually stick to hip hop/electronic so I'm not sure where to explore this genre (I know they aren't the same genre, but the albums above have a similar to style imo)

For Modest Mouse, try mewithoutyou (ignore the lovely emo name, they are fantastic). Any album by them is a pretty good bet, but Brother Sister is my favourite.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Funyon posted:

Earlier in the thread someone recommended the song Such Small Hands by La Dispute. Does anyone know anything similar to that song? I love the guitar and the "creepiness" of the whole song. I guess it would be considered post hardcore? Anything more melodic than the standard hardcore should do. I can't really be any more specific since I don't usually listen to it.

Have you tried mewithoutYou? They started off heavier, then gradually shifted to a more melodic route, and both bands sound extremely identical.

Bullet To Binary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_uwgRzlrNc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Looking at my metal collection I realized it's very limited. What is some good metal that came out in the past 4, 5 years? Keep in mind I don't like black metal and I don't mind death metal but would prefer to stay away from it.