Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got some great recommendations last time I asked (Bonobo and Lemonjelly), but I'm still looking for some more good instrumental, study-compatible music.

Things I listen to now: classical (usually more things like solo piano, cello, violin & cello, clarinet, rather than full orchestras), jazz (not terribly well-versed in it, some of it can be too distracting), and electronica (same situation as jazz).

Things I listen to already:
Yann Tiersen (did the soundtracks for Goodbye Lenin and Amelie, probably my favorite artist overall), Hiromi Uehara (jazz piano, has some synth tracks that I really dislike), Bonobo and Lemonjelly (Electronica? The latter has some annoying vocal samples though), Erik Satie (classical, fairly minimalist), Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto (minimalist piano with some electronic noise, Sakamoto's solo stuff is hit or miss), Loop Guru (Eastern-influenced electronica), and Metamorphosis by Philip Glass (solo piano, although it can be a little repetitive).

Most minimalist stuff (Philip Glass, Brian Eno, etc) is really hit or miss with me, Sigur Ros is kind of so-so. For whatever reason, I can't stand Portishead, although sometimes Massive Attack or DJ Shadow tickles my fancy. Explosions in the Sky is too percussion-y. Vocals are a deal-breaker in pretty much every case.

Way late on this, but I'm with you on pretty much all of that stuff and lately I've been listening to the Cinematic Orchestra, specifically Man With A Movie Camera. They do electronic stuff but that album is a score they did for the old silent movie of the same name, and iirc was meant to be played live so its less produced. Also noting that you tend to like both minimal and electronica stuff, check out Sketch Show. Some vocals, but mainly instrumental. Last semester the ONLY thing I listened to while I was working was a last.fm station of Sketch Show. Some of the artists I found through that that I'd also recommend: Marc Hellner, Nitrada, Riaw Arai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you like the late-'90s swing/jump blues revival, I always thought Royal Crown Revue was the best of the lot of zoot suited bands, but Cherry Poppin' Daddies were more versatile, playing everything from swing to country-blues to funk to ska.

I know she turned into a tabloid joke, but Amy Winehouse WAS a hell of a singer (and may become one again), and her Mark Ronson-produced album Back to Black featured great horn arrangements from the Daptone Horns.

Of course, any "Best of" James Brown compilation is going to have a really tight horn section led by Maceo Parker on alto sax. James Brown had some classic soul songs, so much better than just "I Feel Good."

While you've mentioned Mark Ronson, Versions by him was loving fantastic, twas all covers of pop songs, and most that I can remember had fantastic horn riffs (never checked but given his previous work I always assumed it was with The Dap-Kings as well). And again on this trail, check out Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. Listening to them its really really disorienting to realize that they're a current band.

While I'm posting, been REALLY digging Chromeo lately, anyone got any similar stuff they know of?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

as well as electronica-based stuff like M83, Ulrich Schnauss, and Tycho (I REALLY wish I could find artists that sound similar to those three).

I, like so many posters before me, am deeply curious.

Definitely check out Milosh, and possibly Williamson (think thats a goon iirc).

As for me, I've been listening to Eartha Kitt and Anita O'Day all drat week, and I'm looking for other stuff from whatever style/era you'd call that. Also a big Bing Crosby fan, and tend much more towards trio-based stuff for the most part, not a huge fan of huge band renditions (huge fan of Vince Guaraldi's non-peanuts stuff). Any ideas?