Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away

Diligent Deadite posted:

I'm hoping someone can recommend me some more bands with a 'Desert Noir' kind of sound. What I'm looking for is alternative rock/country with cinematic sensibilities. Think Ennio Morricone or

If you want to push your horizons a little bit, try out the last two albums by Earth. They started out as an extremely heavy drone metal band, but came back from an extended hiatus playing what basically amounts to extremely slow and bleak country-influenced music much like Morricone. Nothing metal-y about it, but it's certainly got a doom-ridden mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away

Seaniqua posted:

For the last couple months I've been listening to Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians when I study - I think it's really beautiful but repetitive enough that I sort of zone it out if I'm doing something else - which makes it great for homework.

I'd love to expand this playlist a bit - sometimes I'll go to Pandora and just listen to a Steve Reich radio station, but I often end up with something good, but not what I'm looking for. I can't listen to Reich's Clapping Music while studying, or some random saxophone screeches by Xenakis.

Any suggestions? I've found a few things by Philip Glass that work pretty well, but there's also a lot of stuff by Glass that doesn't work at all for this.

I also like that piece for study work - when it comes to other artists who fit the same role I'd recommend Basinski's "The Disintegration Loops", or the drone ambient stuff by dudes like Fennesz, Belong, and Tim Hecker. They aren't necessarily that similar sound-wise, and they aren't radical recommendations, but I think they fit "beautiful but repetitive enough".