Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I got into Warren Zevon recently and I've pretty quickly gotten through most of his discography. Is there anyone else that blended weird, kind of literary lyrics with that sort of honkey-tonk, layered instrumentation you can dance to?

Also, been dipping my toes into some 1970-1980 Japanese jazz fusion stuff like Ryuichi Sakamoto, Kazumi Watanabe and Shigeharu Mukai. What else is out there? Who should I check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Re: Zevon, give John Prine a try

I've been told this before, but the Prine I've found seems to be more country ballad than dance-able interesting instrumentation, and unfortunately country ballads just aren't my thing. Did he ever do anything that was outside of that particular wheelhouse?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

BigFactory posted:

What Zevon songs are you calling danceable? Excitable boy? Jeannie Needs A Shooter? Boom Boom Mancini? Or are you dancing to Something Bad Happened To A Clown?

Dylan would probably be the first comp I’d come up with, where his lyrics are funny and literary. He’s got a way bigger catalog than Zevon, though, so a lot of it isn’t probably going to be your kind of dance music. But if you haven’t done the deep dive, there’s 600+ songs to listen to.

Yes, all of the ones you listed. That's a good point, I'll list the ones that I mean when I'm trying to describe what I like about his sound:
The entirety of the album Excitable Boy
Something Bad Happened to a Clown
Seminole Bingo
Splendid Isolation
Play It All Night Long
Boom Boom Mancini
The Factory
Reconsider Me
Detox Mansion

Dylan is... definitely intimidating, and I haven't really liked most of what I've heard of his stuff, but I can take that to the "Where to Start With..." Thread.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

James McMurtry maybe? He's pretty clever. He has a song called Choctaw Bingo that's kind of funny. Definitely a little more country-tinged, but a stellar songwriter and very familiar sounding.

Just listened to Chocktaw Bingo, it's pretty fun! I'll check out some more of his stuff, thank you

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

naniwa express, casiopea, masayoshi takanaka

e: there is a ton of japanese fusion but this is just a starting point

Thanks! I will check these guys out!
I also just listened to Toshiyuki Miyama and the New Herd for the first time, Nio and Pigeon is an amazing album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

cat posts.txt posted:

Random thing I want suggestions for: if you collect cassettes, do you have a favorite in your collection? I have a lot but they're mostly from the same bands over and over (Jeff rosenstock, of Montreal, Hiatus Koyote to name a few) and I'm looking to expand to things that similarly sound good in "lo-fi". I notice bass-heavy music just doesn't sound that good on cassette.

My favorite cassette right now is Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy. Sounds great on cassette, 9 songs without a single miss.