Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The best way to describe what I'm looking for is stripped country/folk. Some examples:

Cul De Sac by Tomahawk

I Could Never Be Ashamed Of You by Hank Williams III

There are a few things that I find appealing about these, however. The main attraction I have is how "bare" the tracks are. Another thing I enjoy is that they're country/folk with something "off" with them, such as the tuning of the guitar in the former track and the distortion in both. I suppose if I had to ask for specified genres it would be "raw" country/folk and also "nightmare" country/folk. Thanks a bunch!

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Can't help you with the genre, but here's a track that fits the criteria: Handsome Boy Modelling School - Look At This Face (Oh My God They're Gorgeous)

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I've been listening to a lot of noise and drone recently and my favorite track far and away has been Birchville Cat Motel's Beautiful Speck Triumph (shifts into high gear at around the 13-minute mark). I've been trying to find something in noise and/or drone that comes close to achieving that same kind of gorgeous sound, something that I can really only describe as "epic" and "beautiful". The closest I've come to it is Small Christian Victories by the same artist (no link, unfortunately). Any suggestions?

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Hekmat posted:

Would you be interested in the band The Lord Weird Slough Feg?. Also the band Opeth sounds up your alley, though you've likely already heard of them.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Kibner posted:

What are some rap artists that express musicality and/or emotion in their vocals? If you take away everything but the vocal track, you are still left with something that has a rhythm and isn't someone just mumbling or reciting lines.

Give Dessa and cLOUDDEAD a shot.

My own req: does anyone have something similarly "darkly funky" as the outro to Red Hot Chili Peppers' Sir Psycho Sexy?

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Sophomoric, but Crotchduster's silliness is pretty entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVrWqY4G9I#t=1m05s

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
A few examples that come to mind are Edan, Cool Calm Pete, and Blackalicious

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I've recently gotten into noise rock and I'd like to know of a few bands you'd recommend for someone just starting to get into it. I've enjoyed the likes of Lightning Bolt and The Psychic Paramount; groups that are noisy, but also have a lot of "drive" and "power" as well as the fuzz of noise (c/p Male Bonding, a group I'm not really interested in).

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Stench Of Profit posted:

Awesome bands

Thanks a ton, man!

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'd like to hear more hip-hop that sounds "noisy", or something that sounds raw and stripped down. A couple of examples of what I'm looking for would be Death Grips and Dalek

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

MiracleWhipHipster posted:

I'm starting to get into chiptune music. I've got albums by 4mat, Brother Android, and Starscream. Who else should I listen to?

If it helps, this is one of my favourite songs, Paperdolls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqSbLQSNNFo

Some of these are crossovers, but hopefully you enjoy a few of them:

Neutralite is just awesome.

Sabrepulse plays a kind of "chip-pop": songs that sound more like pop songs rendered in 8-bit as opposed to something you'd expect to hear as VGM.

The Deprecation Guild plays live hard rock instruments with a chiptune background.

Zomby Makes dubstep, but uses a ton of video game samples.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Two groups I'd recommend are jj and Teams vs. Star Slinger.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Can anyone recommend me more tracks/albums that feature lo-fi singers providing their own backing vocals? A few examples I like are: Tonstartssbandht, Grouper and Doseone (the tail-end of this sample).

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The closest I can think would be Mountains.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

eithedog posted:

A request: I truly enjoy The Books, where their music is rather coherent and not too "artistic" (think rather "Take Time", "Free Translator" than "Venice" or "That Right Ain't poo poo"). Of anything similar I know: l'Homme Puma (only a couple of songs sound like them though - and it's post-rock / screamo / wtf ;/), Animal Collective, Panda Bear (though their music is too lively, or fast for my taste), also Octopus Project, (which, apart from one song, sound definitely different, though is listed as one of the closest matches on last.fm).

So - I'm looking for slow music with a load of samples.

The above tracks strike me as vaguely similar to World's End Girlfriend.

Edit: Presumably you already know Zammuto.

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 7, 2011

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Chunder posted:

I've been getting into a lot of alternative bluegrass and country.

I'm looking for something along the lines of these bands:

-snip-

If you haven't checked out the Gothic Country scene in the midwest I highly recommend it. Jay Munly and Those Poor Bastards are two to get you started. In terms of "acoustic punk" I also quite like Andrew Jackson Jihad.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Some other great disturbing music makers are Enemite, Propergol, and The Axis of Perdition

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I've been on an Animal Collective tear lately, and I'd like to find something similar. What I like most is the "fun" folk/tribal vibe I get on tracks like "Tantrum Barb","Brother Sport", and the latter half of "Derek". I also like most of the outright folk they do, such as all the tracks on Campfire Songs and Winters Love. So, something that sounds less technical and more along the lines of a group of good friends banging/wailing on things. I haven't quite found what I'm looking for, though The Dodos do come pretty close.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Jay Munly is my go-to guy for banjo.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
If you haven't listened to Fleet Foxes already, do so immediately.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Tomba is about as aggressive as I've heard.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Basically, I started reading Blood Meridian and none of my normal reading music is bleak enough.

The albums Slim Westerns & Slim Westerns II by A Small Good Thing are pretty much tailor-made for Blood Meridian.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Douche Bag posted:

How about some lo-fi,sloppy, three chord rock? Something like Cheap Time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9uR15dXCbQ

Check out Wavves and Times New Viking

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Some Techno Animal perhaps?

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Sounds like something that Justice may have made, with those disco themes.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Martytoof posted:

OK one more question.

Something similar to the Solaris soundtrack.not lounge.

Cliff Martinez is good for that kind of feel, as is Clint Mansell

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I've been on a Klaus Nomi kick lately. One part of what I enjoy about him is something I'm looking for now: classical/operatic/"formal" singing in pop music. It's hearing the level of (what I presume to be) skill in his singing contrasted with the fairly cheap-sounding synths that I enjoy most.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for stuff similar to Animal Collective and Zap Mama: African (or African-influenced) music that has chant-like vocals.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Blurred posted:

Really enjoy pieces with lots of field recordings - babbling creeks, rustling leaves, echoing footsteps etc.

Any suggestions?

Mountains' self-titled debut is good stuff.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Ariza posted:

Rap music that isn't full of swearing, violence, or rampant sexism - I'm mostly still the into early-mid 90s rap from when I was young and my wife understandably gets mad if our baby is listening to it. I've got De la Soul, Dr. Octagon, Sugar Hill Gang, and The Fat Boys (The Fat Boys are Back is incredible), but I'm sick of all of those.

People Under the Stairs, Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf, Blackalicious, Genelec and Memphis Reigns, Teams vs. Star Slinger (instrumental, but it owns).

Ariza posted:

Electronic (?) music that is reminiscent of 80s movie soundtracks like Kavinsky. My wife bought the Drive soundtrack and we ended up getting all 3 albums of his that we could find. Nightcall is still my daughter's favorite song.

Any newer pop music (I've only got 80s pop music) that isn't too precious or twee and isn't about being skanky or sad, but is simple and danceable.

Danger, Neon Indian, Burial, Yelle, The Knife, El Guincho.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for some folkish music with singers on the bass-y side of the register. A few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8jWv0OPY48 - The Magnetic Fields' "Time Enough For Rocking When We're Old"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTiXoMCppw - Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"

http://www.mojvideo.com/video-crash-test-dummies-is-the-spell-really-broken/cc474cb91aa65f498cfa - Crash Test Dummies' "Is the Spell Really Broken"

Failing folk, just any (relatively) bass-y singing will do.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

the last signal... posted:

I'm looking for some chill country-influenced rock music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x44PCsngr7g - Wussy. They get bonus points for being a favorite of Robert Christgau.

the last signal... posted:

"Rainbirds"

My first two gut responses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDDxCdm9Oo - Portishead. Downbeat trip-hop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyfX1OR_nk - Bohren & der Club of Gore. Dark, smoky jazz.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Bohren und Der Club of Gore are a pretty creepy jazz outfit.

The Caretaker specializes in altering old records to sound like old haunted relics.

Sephiroth just makes good ol' dark ambient.

Even though he's technically affiliated with metal, Alcest does very innovative stuff with black metal elements.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Been digging "soft folk" lately: folk with light, airy vocals. I've enjoyed Ed Harcourt, Jim Guthrie, and Keaton Henson. Any other suggestions? I've already checked out most of the huge names in the genre (Leonard Cohen, Elliott Smith, et al.)

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The line gets a little hazy between "Western sounding" and "Country", but some suggestions I can think of are A Small Good Thing, Teeth of the Sea, and Those Poor Bastards.

It also goes without saying that you need to check out the Morricone soundtracks if you haven't already.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for folk music that incorporates more modern tech, like synthesizers, samplers, and others. Some examples of stuff I'm digging lately are: Grampall Jookabox, The Books, and Tunng

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for folk singers with deep,bass-y voices, grim subject matter and/or laconic delivery optional. I already know of most classics and those in the gothic country tradition.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Double requests:

1.) Modern, "finger picky" guitar. Ideally I'm looking for stuff in the folk/has vocals vein like Shakey Graves, but recently I've had the same itch scratched with James Blackshaw. I've already heard most of the goth-country scene and most of it doesn't do anything for me. I've also heard of the gods of fingerpicking like Fahey, Rose, et al.

2.) "Weird" classical guitar, like The Last Mariachi by Akira Yamaoka and Satanique Samba Trio

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for lo-fi folk, stuff that sounds so stripped down it starts sounding less like country and more like garage punk or black metal (production-wise; not really interested in goth per se). Some stuff that nails what I'm looking for is Shakey Graves, Those Poor Bastards, Tomahawk, and Hank III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for some good dive-bar kitsch. High energy, skuzzily produced, catchy jingles. Stuff like The King Khan & BBQ Show, Wavves, Bass Drum of Death, Gerty Farish, and Girls in the Eighties. I'm already familiar with Lightning Bolt and the Fort Thunder circle.