Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Way Past Cool! posted:

Actually, I'd suggest starting with John Coltrane's A Love Supreme. It's short and accessible (it even has brief vocal parts). For me anyway, it was easier to get into Coltrane's saxophone-based material than Davis' trumpet.

Thanks to Way Past and the Baron for these recommendations. Jazz is a huge ocean of precarious awesome, and I couldn't find out where it was safest to dive in. I really want to get into it.

Still, to further expand my music tastes, maybe someone could suggest other things. I'm no good at defining music, so all I can say is I want horn music (Jazz, Bebop, Swing, Ska, whatever), and I like up-tempo, though that's not mandatory. Also, twangy surfer music can be cool too (Pulp Fiction Soundtrack, or Honest Bob and the Factory To Dealer Incentives are all I know, sadly). Other than that, maybe a list of the artists in my playlist will express where I'm trying to go. It's ordered from most songs to least.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Modest Mouse (You can probably ignore this one; had no idea it was this high.)
Flogging Molly (Don't recommend Dropkick :argh:)
Madness
Steroid Maximus (J.G. Thirwell)
Reel Big Fish
The Specials
Sublime
Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Pulp Fiction Soundtrack
Blues Traveler
Cherry Poppin' Daddies
Cat Empire

I also have a few compilation albums of old music (Glenn Miller Orchestra sort of old), but I haven't picked my way through them to get what I want yet. Any old suggestions are also welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know it isn't "cool" in NMD, but I'm a big fan of swing (especially the late '90s revival), ska (I even played sax in a ska-punk band in the late '90s), surf, and rockabilly. I like several of the bands you listed, and hopefully you'll like some of these:

First off, thanks for the metric fuckton of suggestions, Lou. That will take me some time to sift through. Bitter:Sweet and Hepcat have some potential, but I had a question about this suggestion:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

you like Steroid Maximus, so I implore you to try their first two albums, Dummy and Portishead)

I was specifically interested in this suggestion because I wasn't sure anyone would have heard of Steroid Maximus. So I listened to Portishead, and it's trippy and interesting. It's certainly music I won't tune away from, but something tells me we're listening to Steroid Maximus for different reasons.

It made me curious as to what you like from them. I'd say L'Espion qui a Pleure & Tarmac a Gris-Gris from Ectopia and Life In The Greenhouse Effect and Powerhouse! from Gondwanaland. (Though Third Movement: Crawling Goliath gets bonus points for creepiness). Knowing that, and since you seem to have a good grasp on this type of music, would that alter your suggestions?

pacslash posted:

Give The Tom Fun Orchestra a try.

Thanks! These guys might fit right in, though not being on Pandora is annoying. Maybe I need to do Last.fm as well.

bowmore posted:

Fishbone

Thanks! I don't have anything specific to say about them yet, but I did want to thank you for helping out.