Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
This may get me laughed at but whatever.

Anyone know of good J-pop bands in the same vein as Morning Musume other than AKB 48. Also similar groups to Gackt and High and Mighty Color. It'd be a bonus if they are on UK iTunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

eyebrow posted:

I'm looking for some g-funk/groove rap similar to The Chronic, Snoops earlier stuff, the slower, less aggressive Three 6 Mafia, etc. Basically rap/hip-hop that's slow, with heavy bass, great production and some good flow by whoever's rapping. Lyrics aren't very important for this.

Not sure it's 100% what you are after but Gangstarr has some good stuff that you might like. Also some of Wu Tang Clan and their solo albums might work for you too.

I'd like some recommendations for riff heavy Hardcore Punk/Metalcore bands. I recently got introduced to Cancer Bats and Sick Of It All and would like more. I'm also interested in Japanese Metal/Rock like Mad Capsule Markets, High and Mighty Color and Gackt.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 4, 2010

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Rotor DX: Another song you might like by Radiohead is Idioteque

Volger: A few of Faithless' songs might be worth a look though they are more leaning towards euphoria. Also Basement Jaxx could work. Also definitely agree with the Chemical Brothers.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I just got Mosely Sholes and Marchin' Already by Ocean Colour Scene, any recommendations of other bands to listen to would be welcomed. Also similar acts to Neko Case, I'm thinking about get Florence + The Machine's album.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Django: They may be part of your basics but if you haven't already you could do worse than the Andrews Sisters. They're classed as Vocal on iTunes but they appear along side the likes of Billie Holiday though they may fall more under swing.

From Earth: The opening titles to an Anime called Cowboy Bebop is a track called Tank! by The Seatbelts. You might like that as it's very brass heavy, though I don't know what the group's other music is like.

I'm looking for some good Korean music particularly female pop acts similar to Younha though I like Rock, Metal and Punk too but have no idea at all where to start with those as far as Korean acts go.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 7, 2010

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

HateTheInternet posted:

I'm looking for some music that's in the same vein as Oingo Boingo, Cardiacs, or I guess even Devo or Sparks. Quirky new wave, tongue-in-cheek stuff that doesn't take itself too seriously.

My other favorites include XTC, Ween, R.E.M., Nomeansno, Talking Heads, and early '80s King Crimson (when they pretty such sounded exactly like the Talking Heads). Any suggestions that match these would work too, but I'm really looking for the former.

If you like Devo try Polysics, apparently they're big fans and take a lot of inspiration from Devo.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Here's a few acts to get you started Sugarhill Gang (Rappers Delight is a must), Grandmaster Flash, KRS-one, Gangstarr, The Fugees, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, NWA.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

Yeah, I know a lot of what I would consider 'newer' stuff and I guess some mid-aged rap (though, god, don't tell them that) but really early work is kinda a blur for me.

I'm mostly looking for specific songs. The songs that made the entire genre do an about shift or are really emblematic. I know what I like (oh lol) but I'm not good on the history of the genre and what is considered to be the really big important songs. So mostly I've been throwing in what I really love but that's not the same as giving him a good grounding of what the genre has done, where its been, and where its going.

What I've got is (alphabetic right now, probably go back and do it by release date):

Aesop Rock, Ayatollah, BDP, Cut Chemist, Fugees, Jedi Mind Tricks, Lauryn Hill, Mos Def (lots of Mos Def), Nas, Rakim, Talib Kweli, Tribe Called Quest, The Roots

This list probably says more about my own taste (I like clever & political/social critique) than it does about anything about the genre.

Edit: Also thinking about throwing in some french stuff given that I currently have this raging crush on Keny Arkana
Smart Political rappers I'd add are Nas, Gangstarr, Sabac and early NWA (if you are just looking for one each then One Mic, Just to get a rep, The Scientist and Express yourself) there is also a english artist called The Streets that might fit the bill, especially a song called "The Irony of it All".
If you are looking for non-english speaking performers then Peter Fox and Fettes Brot are two pretty good German acts.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 14, 2010

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Can anyone recommend some hip hop in a similar vein to Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip, please?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm looking for bands that primarily do covers in an unusual style like The Baseballs (but it can be any genre) but not to the point of parody. Recommendaions of things like Pop goes Punk would be good too.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I actually hadn't but that's just what I was after, thanks a lot.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Bluegrass isn't a genre I'd normally even consider but I just checked out "Black and Bluegrass" Bluegrass + Black Sabbath/Ozzy shouldn't work but it's brilliant. Thanks.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Bluegrass bands?

I dunno if you like covers but Iron Horse's Black and Bluegrass (Black Sabbath covers) is great.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

kinkster posted:

Yeah, sorry. I mean stuff where you hear it and can easily say "that's japanese" or "that's arab". And foreign language lyrics.

I love japanese music, though I'm kinda just getting into it myself. Everyone needs some Morning Musume in their life, at least once. It's pure pop but I love it. Pizzicato 5... not sure exactly what genre they come under, maybe pop too but not same the bubble gum type as MoMusu. Hamasaki Ayumi is another pop act in the Christina Aguilera/Brittany Spears style running the gamut from Rock and dance tracks right through to ballads.
More punk stuff would be Mika Bomb, Shonen Knife both fronted by women (Mika Bomb had a token guy, Shonen Knife were all female) both of those use english lyrics but they're not in good english and heavily accented. Mad Capsule Markets you've probably heard of but worth mentioning because they're that awesome.
If you like rap then Cibo Matto are good but very weird most of the time lyrically..

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 22, 2010

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

kinkster posted:

That's just what it is. I wish I had explained it as such in the first place. Thanks for the radio link, I'll check that out.

and anime_otaku, some of those are sounding good. some quite generic though

Yeah some of the stuff I listed is pretty mainstream and well known, like I say I'm just getting into it myself so I've not got into anything that could be seen as obscure. A few more I've thought of. If you like Devo then try Polysics who count them as an influence and are really fun. High and Mighty Color are a good Rock/metal band. Also if you liked Cibo Matto both Yuka Honda and Miho Hattori have both done an individual album but they are very different from Cibo Matto and each other. If you like Rock then Gackt is worth a look. Also it might be worth getting the OST for "The World Ends With You" some of the stuff on that is great. Talking of OST's a lot of newer anime series have great music, that's how I discovered HaMC, they did a OP for Bleach.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I just downloaded "Fantasma" by Cornelius from iTunes and like it so far, what genre is it (iTunes lists him as Rock but he's not there's bits of various dance genres in there I think and some hip hop) and who else is good in the genre.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Crono some of Nine Inch Nails work I think are "concept songs" but the only "concept album" goign by a quick read of Wiki is Year Zero, which I've not listened to.

I'm looking for music similar to Cornelius, especially the track "Drop".

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

etard knievel posted:

Try Ken Ishii, Towa Tei, Takako Minekawa, Shinichi Osawa, and Pizzicato Five ... The sound of 'Drop' in particular reminds me more of the west coast American deep house sound like Kaskade or Miguel Migs, Naked Music, Om Records kind of stuff though.

Thanks, I'm already a P5 fan but those are mostly great, not so keen on Kaskade but I loved Miguel Migs, Towa Tei and Takako Minekawa

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

SmokaDustbowl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cepA7yuhGoY
I'm looking for stuff like this, too. I don't know what the genre or whatever is in english, which makes it kinda hard to find.

I don't know if you already know this or not but just in case you don't the Japanese guitar/banjo that is featured in the second song is called a Shamisen, I've not gotten into this type of music myself but I found found quite a bit on iTunes by searching for "Shamisen" that may be to your liking.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Le Tigre and Be Your Own PET would both be right up your alley :)

and if you like Be Your Own Pet you may want to consider looking up Mikabomb or Shonen Knife, though they're more punkish.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

DividedFrame posted:

I'm looking for anything that isn't in English—the more obscure, the better! Something upbeat and poppy preferred, but I'm down for anything from rap to rock to techno, in anything from German to Chinese to Africaans. Go crazy!

You need Morning Musume in your life, particularly their 3rd to 6th albums though they are all okay those albums represent the "Golden Age" of the group. You should look into the other groups from Up-Front Works/Hello! Project too like W and soloists such as Matsuura Aya and Kusumi Koharu the latter being facemeltingly sweet.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Probably depends what type of music you are searching for I'd say as there are a few Genre specific sites out there that might help if you are looking for something relatively obscure.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm looking for music like Ladies Of Sport, particularly the songs "Schoolbus" and "The Product" I've no real idea what genre it is though as iTunes calls it "alternative" which is incredibly broad brush strokes. It might be electronica mixed with chiptune.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm looking for music like The Ladies Of Sport, particularly the songs "Schoolbus" and "The Product" I've no real idea what genre it is though as iTunes calls it "alternative" which is incredibly broad brush strokes. It might be electronica mixed with chiptune.

Can anyone help? This is a YT vid for one of their songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwAlUBmcRNw

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Haplo26 posted:

Okay, House music.

Probably a very broad subject. I was at a club in Chicago the other night and I heard a sweet House groove which had a crazy rear end sax solo going on top of it. Can anyone recommend me anything similar to that? I don't know the exact DJ spinning or anything so I am worthless giving any real examples, but I'd appreciate any help!

Maybe some Deep House like Miguel Migs?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

MiracleWhipHipster posted:

I'm starting to get into chiptune music. I've got albums by 4mat, Brother Android, and Starscream. Who else should I listen to?

If it helps, this is one of my favourite songs, Paperdolls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqSbLQSNNFo
I'm new to the genre too so this is maybe more general than you like since I don't recognise the artists you mentioned:

Anamanguchi, they did the soundtrack the Scott Pilgrim Vs The World videogame and have 2 other album called "Power Supply" and "Dawn Metropolis".
If you want something that's not pure chiptune but has Punk/Metal influences (specifically Electric guitar and Vocals) Try Horse The Band (Their EP "Pizza" is somewhat of a surreal concept album bordering on parody but it's still great), You Love Her Cos She's Dead and Colonopenbracket

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Looking for Jazz music like Ai Kago's new album. (As a side note, if anyone knows where I can get it legally in the UK without it costing an arm and a leg it'd be great.) I tried Last FM but it's results were all based on her time as a J-pop star. I already have a Rat Pack album but I'd prefer female singers, cute accent optional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSOeXoTQZSk

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
This was on the previous page and I've not seen an answer.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Looking for Jazz music like Ai Kago's new album. (As a side note, if anyone knows where I can get it legally in the UK without it costing an arm and a leg it'd be great.) I tried Last FM but it's results were all based on her time as a J-pop star. I already have a Rat Pack album but I'd prefer female singers, cute accent optional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSOeXoTQZSk
Little point I may need to clarify, I'm looking for a lighter high voice rather than the likes of the late Amy Winehouse

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Moeru posted:

I've been getting into Korean pop courtesy of Wonder Girls and Girls Generation. Any other female korean artists I should be getting? I know about BoA as well

I'm not really familiar with K pop but maybe Yunha/Younha would be to your liking though she's a bit different more rocky and piano based than Hip Hop style. She's Korean but got popular off in J pop doing songs in Japanese but she then rode that success back in Korea.
If you're picky about the language then the album "Good Day For Saying I love You" is in Korean and it's the only album she has on the UK iTunes the US iTunes also has an OST that has a few tracks from her on it.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Amerika by Rammstein?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Riven posted:

I'm looking for some specific stuff:

I'm a teacher, and I play music in my class while the students are independently working. My students are mostly into rap and hip-hop. However, they're mostly into rap and hip-hop that glorifies smoking weed and saying "gently caress" every two words, so I can't play their music in class. Whatever that song is that goes "smoking that weed and singing them dirty rap songs" is gonzo with them right now.

I'd like to get pointed towards some rap that I could play in class, but isn't lame. I know in discussions in threads before I've seen people quote lyrics that were very philosophical and pretty clean. I'd like to show my students that there is music they might like that isn't just about getting high and pussy.

I get all my music from iTunes, so bonus if I can get it there.

Thanks!

"I Can" by Nas springs to mind.
Lupe Fiasco could work if you don't need the lyrics to be totally clean, goes double if you teach English as his lyrics tend to have layers of meaning. You could probably get a lesson out of tracks like "Gotta Eat", "Kick Push" (1 and 2) or "Building Minds Faster". SLR's just an awesome extended metaphor pile up.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Tetris Crowley posted:

I'm looking for Japanese music!

I'm a HUGE fan of Polysics and Oreskaband.

I like Maximum the Hormone, The Pillows, 50 Katienz, Riddum Saunter, Melt Banana, Ogre You rear end in a top hat, and some others, but I need more.

To explain, I just moved to Japan, and I want to listen to music that's not just J-pop to help me get a better ear for the language. I've gotten bored with what I already have.

I'm open to anything, my tastes are all over the place, though I tend to like energetic music.

Not sure they're what your looking as they tend to sing in English but I couldn't recommend The 5.6.7.8's or Cibo Matto (or Yuka Honda and Miho Hatori's individual albums) more highly.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Depends what you're into Anatharon. Stuff like Dragonforce would be the obvious Power Metal answer. But Mick Foley is sorta famous for listening to Tori Amos' "Winter" before a match, saying it's so beautiful it makes him want to destroy stuff.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I downloaded the free Syndicate soundtrack that was released for the reboot and really like the Skrillex and Flux Pavillion remixes so I'd like more like that but I don't even know what Genre it is.
Also I'd like some "dark" chiptune, more along the lines of Comptroller than Anamanaguchi.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

SimeSublime posted:

I'm looking to make a mix tape for my girlfriend, who seems to be into happy upbeat songs about death - sort of 'make the most of now because we don't have forever'. A couple of examples would be Arc of Time by Bright Eyes and Do you realise? by The Flaming Lips.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not familiar with the songs you mentioned or other peoples' suggestions but from your description what about "Happy Phantom" by Tori Amos?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Saint Rockhopper posted:

I'm looking for rap from all around the world, in as many languages as possible. I know that's awfully broad but I'm not sure where to start.
A couple of recommendations off the top of my head.
Nujabes (Japanese): He died about 2 years ago. He used english lyrics as well though for instance in "Battlecry" which was the theme song for Samurai Champloo.

Peter Fox (German): I love his song "Alles Neu"

[edit] Since I just realised you didn't specify non English speaking acts try Scroobius Pip he's an English knowledge/conscience rapper he's also pretty funny at times.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 2, 2012

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

regularizer posted:

I really like the Gin and Juice cover by The Gourds, so can anyone recommend me other rap song covers in different genres?

Only thing I can think of off hand is The Baseballs did a version of "Love in this club" though that may have been more R 'n' B than Rap.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I think this question is within the scope of this thread:

I have seen 2 AC/DC "box sets" on iTunes, one is 79.99 and is all the studio albums, there's also a 99.99 set that adds live albums. Would either of these be worth getting or would sticking to certain individual albums be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Recently I've been playing GTA V online and enjoying the in game radio, particularly Channel X (almost a 10 year span from mid 1970s to mid 80s punk) and Vinewood Boulevard Radio (defined as post punk or Alternative Rock, all the tracks are under 10 years old, most about 5) and I'm looking for more since they're not really genres I've paid much attention to before, I do like Punk but it tends to be more The Offspring era stuff.

http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Channel_X
Particular favourites:
Agent Orange - Bored of You
Black Flag - My War (Got the album already but I know Black Flag has a complicated history)
Adolescents - Amoeba
Descendents - Pervert
Suicidal Tendencies - Subliminal
MDC - John Wayne Was a Nazi
The Zeros - Don't Push Me Around
X - Los Angeles
D.R.I. - I Don't Need Society

http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Vinewood_Boulevard_Radio
Wavves - Nine Is God
FIDLAR - Cocaine
Bass Drum of Death - Crawling After You
Shark? - California Girls