Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Tommy Callahan posted:

I've been in a hip-hop/rap kind of mood lately. I'm a big fan of Wu-Tang, and along with all the Wu-Tang albums, have almost all of their albums as single artists (Rza, Ghostface, GZA) what are some rappers/groups that I might enjoy? I also loved the new Big Boi album as well.

run, don't walk, to get yourself The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox, then check out Company Flow and El-P's solo work. the only other non-wu stuff that finds its way into my regular rotation is Deltron 3030.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

drainpipe posted:

Anyone know of any bands that do dreamy twangy country like Mojave 3?

Neil Young and The Cowboy Junkies. anything by Bedhead and the first three Radar Bros. are excellent and, while not really country, have a similar aesthetic and some country-ish moments.

oddly enough, i've recently had Excuses for Travelers on heavy rotation...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

g0lbez posted:

I'm looking for some trippy rear end music that nobody would really qualify as "music", like no song structures or set tempo or anything. Although I'm not looking for anything in the "noise" genre specifically.

the books
a fair amount of gastr del sol would qualify, too

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Threatis posted:

kinda shocked no ones brought up about 80% of Xiu Xiu's output.

isn't the point to make good recommendations?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

rum sodomy the lash posted:

Hmm, haven't tried this thread in years so might as well. Right now my top listened to artists are the Clash, Drive-By Truckers, Bob Dylan, The Pogues, Randy Newman, Johnny Cash, Steve Earle, M.I.A., Hank Williams, the Mummies, the Felice Brothers It's sorta a jumble of genres, but I love folk, country, rock, punk, garage, or any fusion of those. I love songwriting that tells... I guess socially conscious stories? Although explicit 60s protest songs are annoying, excluding Dylan who'd I argue never did explicit protest songs. Any ideas?

Billy Bragg?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

proton posted:

I can't stop listening to Alison Krauss and Calexico. I want more acoustic based stuff - solid songwriting and solid mastering. I LOVE the amazing soundstage on Krauss' albums. The banjos and mandolins sound unbelievable.

Nina Nastasia.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Anybody got any suggestions for bands that are similar to The Velvet Underground's self-titled (third) album? Thanks. :)

LUNA- they opened for the VU on their brief reunion tour and their third album, Bewitched, even features Sterling Morrison on a few tracks.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

rangergirl posted:

I just found First Aid Kit, which is a folk group consisting of 2 Swedish sisters. They have covered Fleet Foxes and I think have a similar sound, so imagine FF as young Swedish girls with beautiful voices. Anyway I would love to find something similar if anyone has any suggestions.

Julie Doiron. one of their songs also made me think of Nikaido Kazumi, but she often strays far from traditional folk.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Music i loving love lately includes Midlake's latest album The Courage of Others, Yeasayer, Little Dragon, The Suburbs by Arcade Fire, all of Faunts' stuff, and the new Cut Copy album Zonoscope.

They all seem to have a sort of retro vibe about them, but they range from very organic/acoustic stuff that Midlake does to electronic stuff like Faunts and Cut Copy. They also are pretty much very harmonic and warm sounds.

ever try The Kingsbury Manx? everything up to The Fast Rise and Fall of the South is great.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

HateTheInternet posted:

I'm looking for something weird, but with a sense of humor. Some of the stuff that I already listen to that falls into this category are Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Primus, Ween, Pere Ubu, the Residents, Estradasphere, and any of the Mike Patton projects and I guess to a lesser extent Devo and Buckethead. I'm having a hard time finding similarly strange bands these days without just heading into all-out avantgarde territory (which can be up its own rear end at times, and most I find completely humorless).

The Dead Milkmen

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

supercow posted:

I'm more into lyrical content than things that sound similar so it's been hard finding music. I've been getting into music with themes of social justice/equality. Some bands/rappers I really dig are some Street Sweeper Social Club, Flobots, Thrice, Talib Kweli and Lupe Fiasco. I know there's like this whole "socially conscious" hip hop genre but I've checked some of it out and most of it doesn't appeal to me very much (not a huge fan of Common). Any suggestions?

The Last Poets. depending on who you ask, they pretty much created the blueprint for rap music, and the often confrontational/controversial lyrics deal with political and social issues (civil rights, the black power movement, religion). they were around for a long time (in as many configurations as King Crimson) and the music goes from minimal, repetitive tribal drumming and chanting (The Last Poets) to drat funky (Delights of the Garden, my personal favorite), so there's a little something for almost everyone. i don't necessarily agree with all of their views, but it's powerful stuff nonetheless.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Free Weedlord posted:

The song I heard it in, is a rap song called "Radion Ska Kneppas" by Malk de Koijn (Small danish group), the last 2 minutes and 50 seconds of that song, I'm fairly sure they are sampling some sort of jazz artist.

I'd link to the material but I can't find it on any streaming sites. If anyone can tell me who or what that piece is, I'd be greatful, and if you know anything like it you're willing to share, even better!

Thanks in advance.

google, man: http://www.whosampled.com/artist/Malk%20De%20Koijn/

afraid your song isn't listed, though. maybe try buying it or getting a scan of the booklet off a fan site.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

FetusOvaries posted:

what's some good Midwest "emo"?? something similar to Mineral maybe? (i know they're from texas)

Texas is the Reason
Sunny Day Real Estate
Juno
Jejune
Knapsack
The Promise Ring
The Get Up Kids

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

delicious beef posted:

I really really like Four Tet, what else will I like?

seconding Fog and Manitoba. also:

Prefuse 73
Mum
Sufjan Stevens' early, Philip Glass-inspired album Please Enjoy Your Rabbit
Plaid
Cornelius
Boards of Canada
Thom Yorke's The Eraser

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Ulio posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked them all out, especially liked Leonard Cohen, had heard of him but never listened to anything of his music.

okay, that's what you're going for.
Nick Drake's Pink Moon is pretty and haunting
The National Lights The Dead Will Walk, Dear isn't spectacular in a musical sense, but the lyrics... oh, man, they're grim.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Bondage posted:

Also, any sort of percussion based, instrumental music?

Ginger Baker in Africa is pretty sweet, not to mention a nice gateway into West African music

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

I'm not sure, really; not so much the singing, I suppose, but more the music being played, I guess - I found the guitar+drum combo in FS to be fairly good, really, while I haven't really felt the same about other CCR songs I've heard, I guess. (Yeah, I'm not being all that helpful on the matter, I know :\ )

EDIT: Just listened to Sweet Hitch-hiker, (also CCR, for others reading this) which isn't too bad, really; but still not as good as Fortunate Son, in my eyes. I'll look around on the internet again I guess, to see where FS ranked, and what was supposed to be better

all CCR is good. "Fortunate Son" is one of my favorite CCR songs, but it's somewhat idiosyncratic in that it's bit faster and more hard-rock-sounding than most of their other songs. if you're not sold on CCR, maybe check out some of their contemporaries, instead.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

delicious beef posted:

So I want to listen to Pink Moon a lot more but I'm getting bored of actually listening to Pink Moon because it's getting very familiar. What should I listen to instead? I also like Elliot Smith, Bon Iver, Iron and Wine in this broad area.

Edit: Also, has anyone got any suggestions for collections similar to the Ghana Special/Nigeria Special Highlife albums? They've been getting a lot of play.

Nina Nastasia, but that goes for everyone.
Will Oldham/Palace Music
The Mountain Goats
Neil Halstead/Mojave 3
Smog/Bill Callahan

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

delicious beef posted:

I love the Mountain Goats too. :)

I'll have a listen to these, where's a good place to start with Nina Nastasia or WIll Oldham (is that Bonnie Prince Billy?)

Will Oldham recorded music, sometimes solo, sometimes with others, as Palace Brothers, Palace Music, Will Oldham, and Bonnie "Prince" Billy. i think I See a Darkness is usually considered his masterwork, but i like the earlier stuff better, particularly the Palace Music album Viva Last Blues.

Nina hasn't put out a bad album yet (although i think the newest is far from great), so i would go ahead and start with her first, Dogs. ShutteredIn wants you to start at the top, i'm afraid- YFM is ridiculously good.

and now i'm realizing both of those were recorded by Steve Albini. hmmm....

delicious beef posted:

Edit: Also, has anyone got any suggestions for collections similar to the Ghana Special/Nigeria Special Highlife albums? They've been getting a lot of play.

i'm by no means an expert, but i picked up a few of Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey's records from the early 70s at a library sale many years ago and really enjoyed them.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 9, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Heys knowledgeable music goons! I've been wondering what everyone here can recommend for driving music, and what everyone listens to when they're driving.

I'm really open to anything but I am looking for some bands or songs with more upbeat styles that's fun and fast, like the feeling of an open road you speed along.

Sorry if this is a little vague, but hey, you never know! Thanks in advance :)

The Wedding Present, specifically the albums Bizzaro and Seamonsters. Kyuss, too, is a good call, and i always have at least two Sabbath albums with me on any road trip, usually Master of Reality and Paranoid.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

As for me, looking for non-German bands with strong Krautrock influences (mainly Neu! or Can). I asked for bands that sound like Neu! a while ago, but I'm looking more specifically for bands like the first Bowery Electric album or Stereolab. Bands with that funky Can drumming or the mechanical Neu! style.

they cover a lot of musical ground and have released a bunch of albums, but Trans Am might be worth looking into- maybe start with Futureworld or Surrender to the Night

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

The Duke of Avon posted:

Can anyone recommend some bands from New Zealand? I prefer indie rock/pop-ish type stuff, especially with female singers, and it'd be nice if the bands were still around. It's highly unlikely that I'll have heard of anything you suggest.

the Dunedin Sound

The Clean is fantastic, and the Chills, Bats, Tall Dwarves, Verlaines, and Bailterspace are all worth a listen.

edit- forgot to mention that the Bats have a female vocalist.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 25, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

thehoodie posted:

Can anyone recommend me something similar to Aereogramme and Explosions in the Sky? I'm really digging their stuff as of late.

for instrumental post-rock, you cannot forget Slint.

Aereogramme doesn't fit into that category quite as neatly, so these recommendations might be slightly tangential:

Crain
June of 44
The Shipping News
Don Caballero
Rodan
Metroschifter (um, i guess every Louisville band from the 90s...)
The Standard (the album Wire Post to Wire. the others are spotty at best)
Calla
Unwound
Shellac/Big Black/Rapeman

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Nosy_G posted:

I'm a huge Black Sabbath fan (Ozzy & Dio eras). Does anyone have any suggestions for similar-sounding music for me to check out? Anything remotely close to the Black Sabbath album (in particular, Behind the Wall of Sleep,) would be terrific.

I'm a bass player, so anything like Geezer Butler's funky sound would be groovy.

what everyone else said, along with Bongzilla, Sleep, and Electric Wizard

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Doctor Claw posted:

Weird requests:

2) I'm also looking for some awesome baroque pop - really orchestral and dramatic pop music like Sparks and Electric Light Orchestra. Can be from any era, doesn't bother me. I hear a modern band called British Sea Power is keeping this sound alive, haven't checked them out, though.

Love and the Zombies come to mind; as far as newer artists maybe Belle and Sebastian. haven't heard a great deal of BSP, but what i have heard doesn't fit the bill.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Suoinoleht posted:

I'd like to expand my taste in wankery beyond Rush, Yes, and Dream Theater. I've looked around for a lot of similarly categorized artists and haven't found anything that stands out. I also like a lot of metal from Iron Maiden/Metallica to Blind Guardian and Sonata Arctica, but I find that when I listen to more metal-oriented prog it becomes too repetitive or messy for me. Bonus points for good, technical drums, which can sometimes make or break a group for me.

i'm assuming you've at least listened to a King Crimson track or two, but did you check out the albums Red or Lark's Tongue in Aspic? both feature the ridiculously talented Bill Bruford on drums, not to mention some heavier songs.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I am interested in funk that is heavy on tricky bass like the Glide by Pleasure.

On top of that specific request, I'd like a list of really good funk bands I might not find if I google "funk bands," particularly any that have a heavy focus on future/space themes.

i'm a big fan of Keb Darge's compilations (Kings of Funk, Legendary Deep Funk, Funk Spectrum, etc), although i can only think of one space-type song off the top of my head. however, if you want some truly corny/awesome spacy funk, i suggest you check this out. actually, it's also not straight-up funk, but if you've got 20 a few minutes, listen to the Last Poets' "Beyonder," which is an epic sci-fi/spoken word/funk/apocalypse mashup.

as for that Pleasure song, the bass reminded me of Lakeside's "Shot of Love"

Puttblug, i fully support screaden's suggestion. it is the rare person who truly hates funk music and even the whitest whiteboy can't help grooving on it to some extent (see: the earlier part of my post. in fact, you should download some Keb Darge compilations, too, and also some James Brown albums)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

More music like Nick Drake. Anything, really, but the sparser the better. :)

Mississippi John Hurt, because that's pretty much who taught him to play. Blind Lemon, Robert Johnson, hell, pretty much any of their contemporaries were favorites of Drake's, so there's a bunch of music there, although the vocals are um, slightly different.

Elliott Smith, in his quieter moments, is pretty Drake-like, and Neil Halstead and Belle and Sebastian also channel him pretty effectively at times. While they don't really sound like Drake, Leonard Cohen, Nina Nastasia, and Smog (Red Apple Falls) all do the sparse/dark/acoustic thing really well.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Dwayne Bensey posted:

I picked up a Pentangle box set last year that has their greatest hits, as well as some solo stuff by John Renbourn and Bert Jansch, and I'm kind of liking the whole mellow, pastoral, ye-olde-England guitar-maestro folk they've got going on. Any suggestions?

The Fairport Convention for something contemporary, The Kingsbury Manx if you want something modern, non-English, and with a bit more rock to it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm looking for more songs like this and this - I guess relaxing, slightly cheery post-rock, not too dramatic, with or without vocals. Does this make sense?

that first one reminds me a bit of earlier Tortoise, but you might have to wade through some real avant/jazz-type stuff to get to the more pop-oriented tracks. a related band that might be of interest, although harder to track down, is 5 Style

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm looking for some good reading music. I usually listen to electronic or drone/ambient while reading, such as Four Tet, Pantha du Prince, The Field, Fennesz, Stars of the Lid, Gas, Eluvium. Also Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and on occasion Mogwai.

i can't stand music when i'm reading, but the Shalabi Effect is worth kind-of-listening to.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Laopooh posted:

I want to make a slideshow of my year+ round-the-world solo backpacking trip in windows movie maker, and I'm looking for totally rad songs to go with it. I think I may need 10+ minutes so 3-4 suggestions would be awesome. What songs really get your imagination fired up when you hear them? Think party, scenery, alone, political violence, food, etc. shots. There are tons ^^

why do you need more than one song?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

NeilPerry posted:

Looking for good Japanese music. No J-Rock. I prefer things along the lines of either Envy/Heaven In Her Arms and Eastern Youth/NUMBER GIRL.

Guitar Wolf? You should also listen to some Boris on general principle.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

llbdtiberio posted:

A friend was in Japan for a month and brought me back some CD's from a band called Bloodthirsty Butchers and I find myself really liking their sound. Anyone got some recommendations on bands that play slow, melodic rock, bonus if the guitars play more than chords and the singer having a hauntingly depressing voice.
It doesn't matter to me if the band sings in a foreign language.
I'm thinking a sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvaDjp5XcP Bloodthirsty Butchers - Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60hYAK8wcKw Bloodthirsty Butchers - Jack Nicholson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1AJb5XD9pA Bloodthirsty Butchers - Ocean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=555fKo4t_2U Bloodthirsty Butchers - July

sounds like a lot of 90s indie rock to me, although i'm not sure i'd call it slow- you ever listen to Superchunk or Dinosaur Jr?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

moss piglet posted:

Wanting to get into stuff like Stone Roses and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AAbw9E379s

Where can I start? I'm sure theres tons of this kind of ethereal pop out there.

Dunno about the Stone Roses, as the one album that people consider good hits on a bunch of styles- maybe try some of the other "Madchester" bands, like The Happy Mondays. As for ethereal, you should check out the big shoegaze bands- Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Lush, Galaxie 500, Ride, etc. The Jesus and Mary Chain might be up your alley, as well.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Amazon Review posted:

Any recommendations for late 70s/80s British art rock or punk other than the canonized greats like Joy Division, Wire, This Heat, Public Image Ltd. and The Pop Group?

The Fall. Not English, but The Birthday Party, Pere Ubu and Mission of Burma might also work.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

iron chic posted:

Looking for emo with big, passionate vocals and build ups ala Mineral. Era doesn't matter.

what you're looking for, i think, is "midwest emo." check out Elliott, Texas is the Reason, Knapsack, Braid, Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive, Split Lip... those are some of the big names of the (sub)genre. Fairweather is a slightly more recent band that might also do it for you (and they're cool dudes).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Somebody recommend me post-rock that sounds like GY!BE's "Storm" off of Lift Your Skinny Fists. It doesn't have to be that long or epic, just something heavy on the layers of strings/guitars and that soaring sort of sound.

pretty much every Explosions in the Sky song, lots of Mogwai and Sigur Ros. for some slightly off-the-beaten-path suggestions, Dirty Three and Giardini di Miro. oh, and Windmills by the Ocean.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 1, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for very somber, depressing, sparse banjo music. I don't care if it has vocals, as long as the vocals match the overall tone. I could be looking for the John Fahey of the banjo world.

don't think there's really a John Fahey equivalent in the world of bluegrass, but there's plenty of sparse, depressing music to be found. Ralph Stanley, for my money, has the best, saddest voice of the all, although he's often accompanied by a band. Roscoe Holcomb and Dock Boggs both rocked the solo banjo/vocal style, so that might be more what you're looking for. there are many country artists with similar sounds, but i think most of the solo artists used guitars (Doc Watson), and all the great bluegrass acts (Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, etc) have some high-lonesome-type jams. the wikipedia entry on "old-time music" could be helpful, too.

oh, and if you want some somber-rear end vocal music, my great great aunt Almeda Riddle is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

slowdave posted:

Can someone give me some good slow/sadcore recs? I'm mostly familiar with Low and Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon/Mark Kozelek solo and a few Idaho and Codeine lps, plus American Music Club and Galaxie 500. What are some other similar bands?

Bedhead. rex, Mojave 3, Palace Brothers, Hood, Radar Bros., Nina Nastasia, Palaxy Tracks, Monroe Mustang, Pedro the Lion, Empress, One Am Radio, Labradford, Calla, smog, Tel Aviv, Kepler.

huh, just about made you a mixtape.

edit - thought about leaving out Mojave 3, but just in case... also, thought of a few more: Saturnine, the For Carnation, Windsor for the Derby

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 15, 2011