Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've spent the last few months playing "Spend the Night with...Games" on repeat (mixtape by Daniel Lopatin/Oneohtrix Point Never and Joel Ford.) It has stuff like Roger Troutman, Billy Griffin, Colonel Abrams, Atlantic Starr, Mai Tai...a kind of music I never really spent a lot of time with until now. Does anyone have recommendations in this vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I am absolutely in love with Portrait in Jazz by Bill Evans Trio. The Blue in Green takes are just some of the best music I've ever heard, and I want to hear more like that, cool jazz but quiet and somber.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wilbur Swain posted:

Chet Baker?
Vince Guaraldi?
Jimmy Giuffre?

Money Jungle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIo_OUzHC5o
Thanks for the rec. Money Jungle is amazing. What would you recommend by those three?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for posting these and thanks again for your recommendations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I know people have strong feelings about Cocteau Twins so this may start a slapfight, but I recently discovered Heaven or Las Vegas and am totally in love. Guessing that there aren't any other performers who are really "like this," what other Cocteau Twins albums should I grab?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

there’s a whole genre of music “like that” but for cocteau twins specifically, i’d look into blue bell knoll and victorialand as your next two stops

for other bands with that vibe maybe look into this mortal coil (which features guest appearances from members of the cocteau twins) and slowdive (especially just for a day for specifically cocteau vibes)
Thanks, really enjoying both of these albums. Love slowdive. Never tried this mortal coil but will.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Holy poo poo goddrat is Art Tatum amazing, what the hell, I didn't know playing piano like this was possible. OK, so far I have:

Piano Starts Here
The Tatum Group Masterpieces Vol. 4
The Tatum Group Masterpieces Vol. 8 (has the same tracks as "The Tatum Group Masterpieces" from the 50s)
20th Century Piano Genius
The Art Tatum / Ben Webster Quartet

What else should I be buying?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yea I love Oscar, I'm asking about Art Tatum though.

BTW anyone who hasn't seen this should see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HAZP7nWo6A

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wilbur Swain posted:

By Tatum? Whatever you can find, it should all please you.

Have you tried Cecil Taylor?
No but it's time I stopped putting that off, anything in particular I should grab?

BigFactory posted:

Since a lot of his recording was in the 30s and 40s, he’s kinda one of those guys like Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington (if he stopped recording in the 50s), where the bulk of their output is compilations and a lot of it was on labels that don’t exist anymore so it’s been re-compiled posthumously. Just looking through the discography though, there’s a trio album with Lionel Hampton and Buddy Rich that might be worth trying to track down. I want to hear that myself so I’ll let you know if I can find it.
Yeah, I got that recently. It's not bad but I have been so thoroughly taught culturally that "vibraphone + jazz = corny" that it's honestly hard to listen to. That's a me problem though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Since a lot of his recording was in the 30s and 40s, he’s kinda one of those guys like Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington (if he stopped recording in the 50s), where the bulk of their output is compilations and a lot of it was on labels that don’t exist anymore so it’s been re-compiled posthumously. Just looking through the discography though, there’s a trio album with Lionel Hampton and Buddy Rich that might be worth trying to track down. I want to hear that myself so I’ll let you know if I can find it.
Just to follow up on this, your point about compilations sent me towards The Complete Pablo Group Masterpieces, which is expensive but tooootally worth it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Seems like Kool Keith albums are either really good or, yknow, wack. I like Octogonecologyst because who wouldn't, but also Sex Style and Keith's Salon. Where should I go from here?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My dad is a classical aficionado with enough CDs to start a store, literally. I have never bought him a classical CD as a gift, but these Immortal Performances recordings intrigue me. I don't think he has any of them. Are there any that are especially notable and worth buying?

actionjackson posted:

I just discovered vaporwave, and I enjoy feeling like I'm in a giant mall in 1987

any recommendations? the artist I first heard that I really liked is hallmark '87

thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9L4q-0Pi4E

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Those are just the newest releases on the front page, but the label has an extensive back catalogue.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

It gets much trickier with that. Many of those he might already own, maybe with a different imprint. And with so many choices, personal preference becomes more important. I have a strong preference towards Bel canto operas and am not a fan of Richard Strauss so that would inform my decisions.
Yeah, I'll have to peruse this pretty closely. I know he likes Toscanini so I may go with something led by him.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Re War on Drugs, the albums Lost in the Dream and A Deeper Understanding are 100% pure gold. The others are all...not very good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have been spinning Where All is Fled by Steve Hauschildt pretty much nonstop for the last three years. I love this poo poo. What else out there is like this?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hooplah posted:

oneohtrix point never - r plus seven
This is the best electronic album since 2000 imho.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Were there Keith Jarrett albums other than the Koln Concert that were that good? I only have tried Facing You so far and find it to be trite.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'll check it out.

On a way less esoteric note I am also after some goofy-rear end summer music, in the vein of Washed Out's Paracosm or George Clanton & Nick Hexum.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Beach House-Bloom
I love Teen Dream but have never been able to get into their other stuff, it puts me to sleep.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

there's also Music by Cavelight by Blockhead

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Anybody got playlists/artists in the "cold and snowy, preferably lyric-less" genre? I'm pretty well versed in ambient/post-rock stuff so a little bit less that, I guess.

Listening to Forndom, a Norwegian group, and it's cool but I don't particularly like most of the lyrics.
Warmth

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've been a corny motherfucker lately and getting into some vapor-y downtempo like this. I'm trying to find more along these lines but everything Apple Music recommends to me is really quite embarrassingly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The problem is that Tycho is super boring apart from like 2 songs