Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I like metal, but so much modern metal is either the really dethcore corpse-paint screaming inaudible lyrics while pounding double-bass drums forever, or otherwise its the emo-scremo stuff like Avenged Sevenfold (which I don't necessarily hate the guitars of, but the vocals ruin it for me).

I want stuff that's harder than the old 80s metal, Iron Maiden and Metallica and stuff, but not inaudible growling like Dethcore or so emo as to turn into Pierce the Veil.
Power metal like Stratovarius or Blind Guardian are more tolerable than the emo stuff, but are still a little annoying.

My favorite band currently making music is probably Mastodon, and ironically I really love all three Dethklok / Metalocalypse albums. I want more music like that, still really hard and metal while having lyrics you can sing along to and actually understand.

Recommend me some bands that are gigging / writing music in 2015, which play awesome metal, but which aren't dethcore or emo. I need stuff right in that medium goldilocks zone, not too heavy as to be deathcore but not too far the other way as to be like most power metal vocals or most emo vocals.

I am open minded, even stuff like Nightwish (metal + operatic singing) is more appealing to me than the COOKIE MONSTER deathcore lyrics, or the Dragonforce / Dream Theater high pitched falsetto singing.

Instrumental metal would be cool too. No vocals are better than growly or emo vocals. (personal taste!)

LionYeti posted:

Is there a genre for this besides Hotline Miami music. It's like new waves dark cousin or something. Who else does it?
http://youtu.be/qFfybn_W8Ak

Nordick posted:

This is actually way more retro-oriented, what with all those 80's synth sounds.

Like theflyingexecutive said, searching for "synthwave" should get you started. If you want some even more outrageously 80s feeling stuff, try the Youtube channel NewRetroWave.

Some other major artists for this are Power Glove (made the soundtrack for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon) and Perturbator (my personal favourite of the lot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuDwNysX-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGqeyQhBPMI

Also Lazerhawk, Mitch Murder

I loving love synthwave. Make sure you check out Kavinsky and Com Truise, pretty much everything on NewRetroWave, yeah.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I just discovered Baroness after posting that, and they seem right up the Mastodon alley. Loving it.

Also just found Down and Ghost and they both seem loving metal too. Down sounds VERY Pantera and Ghost reminds me of proggy Mastodon.

E: Down has the same vocalist as Pantera, duhhhh :doh:

A LOVELY LAD posted:

If you want more classic style you could try:

Pallbearer (proper slow chuggy)

Possibly ghost BC, although they got old quick for me

Sons of huns

Older Baroness generally makes me think of an old dirty south mastodon (earlier mastodon)

Also doomriders might be a shout

Perfect, thanks!

Liking Pallbearer so far, kinda like Metallica mixed with Mastodon or even Tool.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 2, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nordick posted:

Angel of Sodom is a pretty new thrash metal band, just released their first album which RULES.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-vNgjI4DWU

Grand Magus aren't super heavy or intense, but they have this style that just feels hefty as hell, and the vocalist is has a pretty low register and sounds really convincing. (I've also lost count how many times I've recommended them to people in his thread and the metal thread)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01HKzJyXZOg

Primordial are pretty much slow- to mid tempo black metal, with a bit of folk influences, but with clean vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=472Qh4l1pFU

Grave Digger are like a power metal version of Motörhead. Crunchy sound, gruff but "clean" vocals, not much fannying about with keyboards like Stratovarius et al.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE2CSR74heI

Angel of Sodom is okay, don't hate it or anything, good and chuggy, I'll have to check out more of their stuff but it doesn't super grab me.

Grand Magus started out kinda cheesy but yessss, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Sounds very Iron Maiden. I listened to that track and now I'm powering through the Hammer of the North album and this loving ROCKS. Right up my alley.

Primordial is pretty metal, reminds me a lot of really early Mastodon, like Blood Mountain era. Perfect.

Grave Digger - you had me at Motorhead.

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I noticed you put instrumental metal too

Try Russian Circles for that.

Digging it, although it reminds me of like, Porcupine Tree more than anything else. (maybe just the couple tracks I listened to)
Kinda chill. But not bad! Good stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not to be That Metal Guy, but these are a lot of words that don't mean what you think they mean.

Oh no I used the word dethcore when I should have said something else, shoot me :rolleyes: you know what I meant.

I wasn't just asking for more Mastodon at all. You seem to have misunderstood me. Mastodon was just meant to be an example of a band that is still playing in 2015, making metal, and not doing horrible vocals.

Elder is pretty cool, but I wasn't asking for psychadelic prog-metal specifically. I said I wanted stuff like Mastodon, Metallica, Iron Maiden or Dethklok, among other things. Only one of those bands is remotely proggy. If I wanted psychadelic music I would have asked for that, but I didn't on purpose. Don't assume you know my own tastes better than me.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 2, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Can someone reccomend me which thread I should post about Satriani in? Doesn't seem appropriate to metal, electronica, post-rock...

I dunno :shobon: I just heard the new single and heard about his new album and I really wanna talk about how rad he is