Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Any recommended albums for conscious hip-hop along the same lines as Kendrick Lamar? I've gotten into his music in the past couple of years and I'd like to hear more political hip-hop stuff. There are 'best of' lists out there, but they tend to be hit or miss. I'd be more interested in getting the opinions of more seasoned hip hop fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Henchman of Santa posted:

Public Enemy’s run from Nation of Millions to Apocalypse 91 is like the apex of political hip-hop
Dead Prez’s Let’s Get Free is a good left wing rap record.

Not that neither of these sound much like Kendrick.

That's fine. It didn't need to sound like him as long as it was along the same lines. Thanks for the suggestions.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MrSargent posted:

Here are some other artists to get you started:

Common - Really can't go wrong with most of his early material but "Like Water for Chocolate", "Be", and "Finding Forever" are my favorite albums.
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides and The Ecstatic are incredible.
Talib Kweli - Check out his album with Mos Def titled "Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star". His solo work is good too, can start with Quality and move along from there.
Ice Cube - Usually associated with gangsta rap, Ice Cube's solo work after NWA is very political. Start with Amerikka's Most Wanted
Black Thought - Anything he has done with The Roots (Undun, Illadelph Halflife, Things Fall Apart). Also check out Streams of Thought Vol. 1 & 2
Lupe Fiasco - Check out his latest album "Drogas", really powerful stuff.

Sounds like a great start for some new material. Thank you!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was completely new to the Arctic Monkeys before listening to Flourescent Adolescent, loving it, and then listening to Favourite Worst Nightmare (and loving that too). I understand that all of the Monkeys' albums have a slightly different sound, so I'm wondering which album I should try from here? Their first album has a lot of positive buzz, but their later stuff evidently has deeper and more poetic writing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 22, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i dont really know but I think Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is a big album for them

Yeah, I'll start with that. If it's anything like FWN, it should be really good.