Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I've inexplicably become a huge fan of Rush in the past few weeks. What started as a curiosity has really gotten out of hand and I ended up buying Moving Pictures, Signals, Presto, Counterparts, Test For Echo. I'm looking at picking up Grace Under Pressure and Permanent Waves as well.

What else should I look into beyond the scope of Rush? This kind of music has largely gone by me unnoticed. Recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

het posted:

Man, I dunno how I missed this. Permanent Waves is probably my favorite from their catalog, but if you like the direction they moved in with Moving Pictures and Signals, you should definitely pick up Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire, all of which I would say are a lot better than Presto. Permanent Waves should probably be your first purchase though as I think it provides a good bridge from their 80s sound and their 70s sound (and it's also more consistent than a lot of their albums).

As far as similar bands go, Rush occupies sort of an unusual place in that they will often get categorized as prog rock but they really tend to stay pretty rooted in rock, and really don't push the boundaries quite as much as other prog bands like King Crimson, Yes, or Genesis; the prog rock designation comes more from the sort of wanky musicianship and tendency towards long songs (which they pretty much lost after Moving Pictures, and even then The Camera Eye is the only one that's all that long).

A lot of people have compared Coheed & Cambria to Rush, and while I think the music doesn't sound all that similar (aside from the high-pitched male vocals), I think they sort of play a similar role in that they're pseudo-prog, with epic concepts and an eye towards using somewhat elaborate rock music to tell larger stories, but again they don't venture far outside rock (in their case, being more pop-punk-influenced than having Rush's 70's blues rock influence).

I think I'm more partial to the synth-era of Rush than any other. I got Grace Under Pressure and it's fantastic. I think AfterImage has to be one of my favorite songs at this moment. Amazon has recommended Yes and Genesis, so I may check those out and see how they fare. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try to give Coheed and Cambria a listen with an open mind, but what I heard I didn't much care for. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

edit - And I dig Presto quite a bit, actually. Show Don't Tell is a pretty good song imo and the entire album is in that vein.

Severed fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 2, 2009