Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I know very little about jazz and nothing about Armenian folk music, but I'm looking for more stuff like Tigran Hamasyan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbv6lpAtKkk

Almost all of the jazz I listen to is instrumental, but I really dig the vocals on this track and how "modern" the whole thing sounds, for lack of a better word. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm looking for "new age" music recommendations. The sort of stuff you'd hear in a nature shop at the mall in the 90s or what an ex-hippie art teacher would play during class. Moody synth pads, pan flutes, electric harp, chimes, etc. Preferably instrumental or with minimal vocals.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Up until a week ago, I thought I hated black metal/grindcore/whatever, but then I heard Anaal Nathrakh's newest album and fell in love. I really dig the pristine production values and the mix of semi-intelligible screaming/clean vocals. Is anybody else doing similar stuff?

I've tried listening to all the classic black metal bands, but the buzzsaw guitars and trashcan drums just sound awful to me, and modern stuff like Deafheaven/WITTR bores me to tears.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I really love this section in Steven Wilson's "Luminol" (from 4:50 to around 8:30 in the video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYfQ1I-VV7M&t=296s

Lazy, dreamy chords, ethereal harmonized vocals, piano, flute, etc. There are comparable sections in other SW/Porcupine Tree songs, but does anybody else do similar stuff? It vaguely of reminds me of CSNY or other classic rock, but that's never been my bag, and although I love modern prog, I've never really checked out the big name classic prog bands.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I know nothing about electronic music. What should I check out if I really dig stuff like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQPZHUYbiA

I like that it's mostly ambient, there's no real in-your-face melody or percussion but there's enough stuff happening to keep your brain interested.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Strange question, but can anybody recommend some radio stations that A) always play music and B) don't have commercials? I like to have background music playing on my Echo devices, but I'm too cheap to pay for a real music service. Seattle's KING FM Evergreen station is exactly what I'm looking for: constant music and zero commercials. KING FM is all classical, but a relaxing jazz or ambient station would be ideal.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Erebus posted:

there's also places like Soma FM that have stations covering multiple genres.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for! I'm pretty amazed something like this still exists in 2019; it feels like a very early 2000s web sort of thing.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Any modern, percussion-heavy composers I should check out? I really love Steve Reich's pieces that feature marimbas, vibes, xylophones, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYvMwQd3cs

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I know I'm very late the to the party, but who should I check out if I like Megadeth and don't care for the other "Big Four" bands at all? Slayer's too monotone and grind-y, Metallica's fine but a little boring and Anthrax just does nothing for me. I dig how proggy and melodic a lot of Megadeth songs are.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Oh yeah, I should add that I'm a big metal fan (mostly prog/weird stuff like Dream Theater, Animals as Leaders, Anaal Nathrakh, etc) but anything before like 1990 is a huge blindspot for me. Thanks for the Iced Earth recommendation; I loved Horror Show when it came out but I'd completely forgotten about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Who should I check out if I love upbeat, energetic Japanese fusion like Casiopea and T-Square? A few Pat Metheny albums fit the bill, but a lot of his stuff is too meandering for my taste.