Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Here we go again (on our own), it's a new recommendation megathread. Need a recommendation? Post here before creating a new thread! However, a few suggestions before you post:

• If you're looking for something similar to a specific band, check similar artists on last.fm, AllMusic, Pandora (US-only, I believe), and the like. On last.fm in particular you should also check artists with similar tags, as that can often be handy and will often have streaming sample tracks.
  • If you're looking for more music similar to a few specific artists, try other artists on the same labels. If you don't know what label the artist you like is on, look it up before posting.
  • If you're just looking for something similar to bands that might be described as indie rock/pop, and you haven't looked at Pitchfork Media, you should do that before posting. A great deal of posts in previous threads have best been answered with just that URL.
  • If you're looking for metal, you'll probably get better responses in the metal megathread. I won't link it here since it's refreshed fairly often, but it should be on the first couple pages of NMD.
  • Try to be specific if you can. If you're looking for something you have a hard time describing because you're not familiar with the genre, that's okay, but still make an effort, as it will still be helpful to those making recommendations.

I may add specific responses to common recommendations to this OP, feel free to PM me with stuff in that vein that you think should be added.

One other thing I should mention: this thread is for people seeking music to post and for others to reply to those specific requests. Please don't make posts like "Everyone should really listen to this band!!!". If you're recommending something, it should be in reply to something else. That also means that lovely off-the-wall recommendations like "Oh, you like power metal? Well some other music that is powerful is Animal Collective" will be punished.

Be aware that if you don't follow the guidelines above, you may be made fun of or even probated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
By the way, of course feel free to repost any requests that got lost between closing the old thread and opening this one.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Hey guys I said PM me with stuff, don't post arbitrary recommendations here :P

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

charismaslover posted:

Looking for some technical instrumental bands like Liquid Tension Experiment and some tech death in the same vain as Psycroptic, Beneath The Massacre etc.

Any recommendations are welcome,

Cheers.
As mentioned in the OP, you should try the metal megathread.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Okay this one may be tricky.

I love Nine Inch Nails but specifically for their Ghosts I-IV which is an industrial/every other genre instrumental album featuring a wide range of instrumentation and music styles. Are their any other bands or albums that fit this instrumental genre?
As I recall, Ghosts was more or less ambient influenced by industrial. I don't know if he reads this thread, but I bet SA user Twiin would have good recommendations, and you might check out his own music under the name Ad•ver•sary; he released his debut album Bone Music last year, and while it's not as ambient as Ghosts, it's loosely similar. Other ambient-ish sort-of-industrial music that you might check out (that I learned about through Twiin) would be Talvekoidik and Totakeke.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Severed posted:

I've inexplicably become a huge fan of Rush in the past few weeks. What started as a curiosity has really gotten out of hand and I ended up buying Moving Pictures, Signals, Presto, Counterparts, Test For Echo. I'm looking at picking up Grace Under Pressure and Permanent Waves as well.

What else should I look into beyond the scope of Rush? This kind of music has largely gone by me unnoticed. Recommendations?
Man, I dunno how I missed this. Permanent Waves is probably my favorite from their catalog, but if you like the direction they moved in with Moving Pictures and Signals, you should definitely pick up Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire, all of which I would say are a lot better than Presto. Permanent Waves should probably be your first purchase though as I think it provides a good bridge from their 80s sound and their 70s sound (and it's also more consistent than a lot of their albums).

As far as similar bands go, Rush occupies sort of an unusual place in that they will often get categorized as prog rock but they really tend to stay pretty rooted in rock, and really don't push the boundaries quite as much as other prog bands like King Crimson, Yes, or Genesis; the prog rock designation comes more from the sort of wanky musicianship and tendency towards long songs (which they pretty much lost after Moving Pictures, and even then The Camera Eye is the only one that's all that long).

A lot of people have compared Coheed & Cambria to Rush, and while I think the music doesn't sound all that similar (aside from the high-pitched male vocals), I think they sort of play a similar role in that they're pseudo-prog, with epic concepts and an eye towards using somewhat elaborate rock music to tell larger stories, but again they don't venture far outside rock (in their case, being more pop-punk-influenced than having Rush's 70's blues rock influence).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Akur0 posted:

I take it alot of people here don't listen to electronic music? Should I ask elsewhere?
I'm not sure if you're aware of this but you came off as a bit of a tool in your post. "I'm a guy with really really diverse tastes so forgive me." made me roll my eyes like crazy. Also,

you posted:

I'm very fond of heavy bass and rapidfire percussion. I normally don't care for Melody heavy music but I'm willing to give anything a try. Finally aside from Gabba, D&B, Breakcore, I can branch out to multiple genres from Classical to Country/Bluegrass to Mathcore.
What does this even mean? What are you even looking for if you say you don't like melody-heavy music but you like classical?

Basically your entire post sounded like a big self-important name-drop-fest, and that post and this post I'm quoting seem less like a search for music and more like a personal test for the forum.

That said, if you want more music like that Venetian Snares album, just say that. If you want more music like DJ Technorch, just say that. Using adjectives to describe what you're looking for (and veer towards more specific, objective descriptions, rather than qualitative ones) will help your search for music greatly.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Guys take the race discussion to another thread, this isn't the place for it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Virtual Russian posted:

Can anyone recommend something similar to Massive Attack? My favorite albums are Protection and Mezzanine.
Man, I get that some bands are hard to find similar artists for but Massive Attack isn't one of them
http://www.last.fm/music/Massive+Attack
http://www.last.fm/tag/trip-hop

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Jadz posted:

Thanks for the edumacation. I'll make sure I'm not mixing them up in the future ;) And thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a listen at them.

EDIT: Wow, some of that is pretty good, but a lot of it (especially Vovin) is extremely operatic, which isn't quite what I'm after. I guess I was a little vague, since the bands I cited as examples have some of that stuff themselves.

Specific examples would be songs like "The Howling" and "What Have You Done?" by Within Temptation, "All Systems Go" and "Somebody Save Me" by Krypteria, "Spellbound" and "The Maze" by Lacuna Coil, "Bring Me to Life" and "Going Under" and "Sweet Sacrifice" by Evanescence (yeah I know, most people hate them). While I don't think this quite falls into the same category, I also like "I'm So Sick" by Flyleaf.

I hope that helps narrow down my tastes a little more. Thanks :)
I'm not familiar with those specific songs, but you might check out Lullacry's album Crucify My Heart. They're less frequently categorized as "gothic metal" as the other bands you mentioned (or the ones you were recommended) and are a bit poppier and leaning more towards rock (and way less operatic). The first half of the album is a whole lot of fun, especially Alright Tonight and the title track.

(I normally hate it when people make recommendations with limited familiarity with the references, but since you already got a recommendation that wasn't quite right I figured I'd go for it)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Bean_ posted:

PS: Het, Kudos to you for the Lullacry recommendation. That would have been my first.
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more bands doing what they do. It seems like most of the bands that do that sort of metal opt for the more operatic style rather than the more pop/rock style Lullacry has (which I think really defines the music)

quote:

Ram Zet: (this may be a stretch, but they've got some pretty great stuff. Wait a bit, the female vocals will kick in eventually, and make it worth the wait, imo) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1Zmy6kiU8&feature=related
If you like this more extreme metal style, The Project Hate MCMXCIX might work too (I like their album Armageddon March Eternal).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

guppy posted:

I said "electronica" because I was under the impression that it was a catch-all term for electronic music, as opposed to something like "techno" which has a specific subgenre connotation. Is there a better word to use?
"Electronic music" is the least likely to draw ire. Really though, plenty of people don't have a problem with "electronica". There are people who will get huffy about it, but really just because for a long time "electronica" was mostly a word used by people unfamiliar with the music. In terms of being a descriptive and concise genre name, it serves the purpose pretty well (whereas "electronic music" feels kind of stilted).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

FuzzyWuzzy posted:

Need some recommendation, My favorite bands are Green Day, Reel Big Fish, Tool, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

It might be hard to recommend to me, cause' I like a lot of different stuff
I recommend you stop making lovely posts in this forum.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

5436 posted:

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs?
I'm confused, are you looking for a place to start with Regina Spektor or just curious about other people's opinions?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

ACID POLICE posted:

well i know it's a lot more extreme than fugazi but listen to agoraphobic nosebleed anyway because they are the best.

the OP posted:

That also means that lovely off-the-wall recommendations... will be punished.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Skilleddk posted:

I'm currently looking for some heavier shoegaze stuff. I heard Alcest's Souvenirs Du Autre Monde, and was instantly hooked. Looked up a bit myself and found Jesu, and currently digging their Silver EP (haven't had time to hear the rest of their works).

I also tried Isis, but didn't like them because of the vocals. So basically I'm looking for heavy shoegaze guitars, soft vocals and a good melody.
Technetium's recommendations are probably a good start but overall I'm not sure there's much of anything that really takes on shoegaze from a metal perspective in the way that Alcest does it on Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde. There's some stuff that takes shoegaze in a more rock-y direction that you might like though, like Airiel or Swervedriver. Still, that's definitely more in the vein of rock and having a bit of a groove rather than the plodding but almost pummeling sound you get with Alcest and the double-kick drum backing it, and they don't do the ethereal vocals quite so much.

edit: I was iffy on mentioning Swervedriver given the qualities you mentioned and went back and listened more and now I'm thinking they're not what you're looking for but probably still worth checking out because they're good and make interesting shoegaze-y rock.

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm not much of a shoegaze expert, but try M83's "Before the Dawn Heals Us", "Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts", and "Saturdays = Youth" to an extent. Galaxie 500's "On Fire" is good, but focuses more on slow music and soft vocals than guitars.
Honestly these aren't great recommendations other than being shoegaze-y. It's fine to recommend stuff if you're not an expert, but in general it's best to give more knowledgeable people a chance to reply before jumping in if you're not too familiar with the genre or the specific albums cited.

het fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 11, 2009

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Splash Damage posted:

2) Folk metal like Eluveitie, Finntroll and Korpiklaani.
Kromlek - Finntroll-ish, a little light on the actual folk instrumentation, using more synths for that, but good and fairly epic, try their album Strange Rumours... Distant Tremors

Trollfest - More boisterous Finntroll worship, they really go all out with the troll gimmick; their songwriting isn't quite as tight as Finntroll or Korpiklaani but they still do the drinking song thing a lot.

Sacra Arcana - These guys are really top notch, they only have one album, Titkos Szertartás, but it's a great blend of folk melodies with heavy metal.

Elvenking - These guys go more towards Celtic sounds than Scandinavian (not that the difference in practice is that huge), their album Heathenreel is generally highly regarded; I should note that I actually prefer a side-project of the lead singer called Leprechaun, but they only released a single demo, The Ultimate Dance, but it's really excellent.

Turisas - A bit less folky than the bands you mentioned, but really epic. Their debut Battle Metal is decent but I think their second album The Varangian Way is really memorable and stands out amongst folk metal bands.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hog Butcher posted:

Anyone have any suggestions of stuff like Vodka by Korpiklaani? I really like the high energy and unconventional instruments used. Female vocalists are a plus, but that seems kind of rare.

het from the last page posted:

Kromlek - Finntroll-ish, a little light on the actual folk instrumentation, using more synths for that, but good and fairly epic, try their album Strange Rumours... Distant Tremors

Trollfest - More boisterous Finntroll worship, they really go all out with the troll gimmick; their songwriting isn't quite as tight as Finntroll or Korpiklaani but they still do the drinking song thing a lot.

Sacra Arcana - These guys are really top notch, they only have one album, Titkos Szertartás, but it's a great blend of folk melodies with heavy metal.

Elvenking - These guys go more towards Celtic sounds than Scandinavian (not that the difference in practice is that huge), their album Heathenreel is generally highly regarded; I should note that I actually prefer a side-project of the lead singer called Leprechaun, but they only released a single demo, The Ultimate Dance, but it's really excellent.

Turisas - A bit less folky than the bands you mentioned, but really epic. Their debut Battle Metal is decent but I think their second album The Varangian Way is really memorable and stands out amongst folk metal bands.
Of those, you probably want to check out earlier Korpiklaani to start (they have a drinking song like Vodka on every album), then probably Finntroll, Trollfest, Leprechaun, though none of them have female vocals (except one track on Leprechaun's demo, Rusalka). For female vocals I guess try Arkona though their vocals are mostly harsh, or Lumsk who aren't really as boisterous and energetic as Korpiklaani but have very nice clean female vocals (try the album Troll, and avoid anything after that as they stopped doing much metal after that). Other than that I'm kind of blanking.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Moeru posted:

I never noticed the progressive tag on those 3. I already listen to them. I'll see if I can redefine in last.fm and pull stuff closer to that since I love those 3
You might look into Arjen Lucassen's stuff if you already haven't (I half-assume you have); Ayreon I think has had a couple female guest vocalists, and I think his Stream of Passion side-project has female vocals.

Beyond that I'm not sure any particular bands come to mind. If you use a really liberal definition of "progressive" you might be interested in some of the big extreme metal mish-mash bands like Ram-Zet or The Project Hate MCMXCIX but at that point we're talking something pretty different from the traditional set of prog metal bands.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Laudanom posted:

Here is a giant list of all the bullshit subgenres for electronic music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres
How is this in any way helpful?

quote:

You are probably safe with dubstep, roughly defined as an emphasis on spare beats and heavy bass to create a darker mood. Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS38JBh5gcw&feature=related
Like etard said, Burial probably isn't a bad recommendation but it seems more like you arrived at it by virtue of having little exposure to dubstep than anything else. If you don't know enough to give a knowledgeable answer, you shouldn't jump in and reply right away.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Schurik posted:

These are perfect, thanks a lot guys.
You might check out Ceremony too, who are more like a much noisier New Order, or a more melodic APTBS.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for some good nautical/ocean themed albums to listen to. I don't really want any gimmicky stuff like Alestorm, but metal is fine.
This may be a little too divergent from what you're looking for, but black metal band Darkestrah released an EP called Epos that (as I understand it) is about a lake near their hometown that apparently contains an ancient city at its bottom, completely submerged. It's a single 33 minute track and it opens and closes with the sound of waves lapping against a shore.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Anime_Otaku posted:

Rotor DX: Another song you might like by Radiohead is Idioteque
Presumably he is not looking for Radiohead recommendations but rather other groups with whole albums that sound like that song.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Kara Thrace posted:

This song has been stuck in my head for about 4 months. It is sung by a woman and there's an instrumental for about 2 minutes at the beginning. First off it's quite naturey sounds then a piano drops in. I remember a lyric like 'Day is richer that nights' or something to that effect.

I hope that's enough to go by.
I think you posted this in the wrong thread, you should try the "Help me identify a song" thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

F201 posted:

So I've been listening to a lot of instrumental/abstract hip-op recently, especially RJD2 - Deadringer, Madlib - Shades of Blue and DJ Shadow - Endtroducing. Where should I go from there?
Depending on if your tastes run towards the darker take on this style of hip hop, check out Thavius Beck's Decomposition, Thru, and Give Us Free, and ArcSin's Resonant Murk Tactics and Oculus Fang (specifically try Decomposition and Resonant Murk Tactics first).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

drainpipe posted:

Three related bands you should check out, A Place to Bury Strangers, Ceremony (not the hardcore one), and Skywave.

Ceremony - For Her Smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72InGjVRpDA

A Place to Bury Strangers - Exploding Head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXctrv09Pwk

Haven't listened to many Skywave stuff (yet), so I'm terribly familiar with them.
Great recommendations, I was thinking of these two as well.

One more I'd add would be Airiel, I have a similar preference for more rocking shoegaze and their full-length The Battle of Sealand, here's a good track off that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jP_JdJKBxM

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hung Yuri posted:

If I liked this album by Dol Theeta (The Universe Expands), what other things might I like?
You've heard Dol Ammad I assume?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Okay guys I think we can stop replying to TheBoogeyMan, let's not turn this into "PYF song with male and female vocals".

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Diligent Deadite posted:

A much newer band, but probably The gently caress Buttons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWRi8O7gek
Okay, while it's entirely possible the dude's friend may very well like this, do you have any idea what ambient, techno, The Orb, Aphex Twin, Orbital, the track Halcyon+On+On or any of the other things mentioned sound like? This isn't the "Recommend the band that sounds slightly like what you think the person described Megathread".

Seriously, "probably"? Really?

1mil Billy Mitchell posted:

A friend asked me about a recommendation and I've been thinking about it for a bit but I'm not sure where to go here. He asked me where he could branch out from by giving me Orbital - Halycon + On + On.

I'm not entirely certain where to go - The Orb, early Aphex Twin, Seefeel, System 7, Global Communication, Biosphere? I guess basically ambient techno, but I can't really find the middle ground between really ambient techno and the sort-of ambient techno with a hard 4/4 and rather catch.
Try Loop Guru - Amrita and Fluke - Risotto maybe.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

slowdave posted:

He's also in Deaf Center who just released a brilliant sophomore album which you could also check out.
Hey thanks for mentioning this, I loved their debut.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

igby posted:

Hey NMD, a couple of my friends have made a short film and need an aggressive, fast-tempo song like Firestarter by the Prodigy to overlay on one of the scenes. I'm coming up blank, so I turn to you. Any suggestions, good goons?
This may sound like a dumb question, but why not use Firestarter?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

ZakAce posted:

Hi, I've got another request.

I'm interested in listening to heavy metal bands with female singers. I've listened to some Arch Enemy and Lacuna Coil, and I'm interested in bands with a similar sound to either of those two groups. I'm not interested in overly poppy or not very good stuff like Evanescence, Nightwish or Kittie, thanks.
For Arch Enemy, http://www.last.fm/tag/melodic%20death%20metal (only Arch Enemy is female-fronted, but I don't think it's relevant since Angela Gossow sounds like any other melodeath vocalist). If you try In Flames, make sure it's earlier In Flames rather than later. Actually that goes for just about any band you'll find there.

And for Lacuna Coil check http://www.last.fm/tag/female-fronted%20metal as well as the various symphonic metal and gothic metal tags.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Volvagia posted:

I'm a total scrub when it comes to anything metal related but lately I've been wanting to hear some really evil, unsettling music, and I'm betting there's black metal stuff out there I would really like. I like the more ambient-style stuff I've heard, ideally what I'm lookin for would sound like a mix of xasthur, sunn o))), lustmord, and I don't know, boards of canada maybe? Thanks!
The first thing that comes to mind is Darkspace, which is sort of between dark ambient and black metal. I have to admit I'm a little confused by the request though, doesn't Sunn basically occupy that same space anyway? What about Sunn do you want to be different?

edit: yeah Menace Ruine's not a bad rec either

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

nachos posted:

I would like more music that sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irGCdR0rTM4

I'm not sure what it exactly is, Industrial? I would prefer only instrumentals as I can't stand the typical lyrics that go with this kind of music.
Try This Morn' Omina - The World Tree (which has a couple versions, on Au Dela de Tous Les Degres and Les Passages Jumeaux). I would include a youtube link but neither seems to be up. I do know it's up on turntable.fm though.

edit: also I mean This Morn Omina and those albums in general but that track always stood out to me

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

caiman posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for bands that feature very technical and interesting instrumentation. Something along the lines of Meshuggah, where the focus is on the technicality and creativity.
There is a subgenre that's based around being like Meshuggah, try out stuff here: http://www.last.fm/tag/djent

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Pokeylope posted:

Something like John Williams is a bit too bombastic. I'm looking for more mellow, evocative music. I tried getting into classical, but I found most of it to be a bit too, I guess stodgy would be the right word. Any suggestions?
Try modern classical like Johann Johannsson, I really like Fordlandia and IBM 1401: A User's Manual

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Karate Bastard posted:

I have just discovered Skrillex, and hoo boy... I want more! Problem is, people say he's dubstep, but I don't fancy much else people tend to stuff into that bag, and Spotify I feel isn't much help in finding more.

I think what I really like about his stuff is the contrasts between chugging pounding choppy brutality and easygoing melodious cheerfulness. And the rythms and syncopation of course. The non-simplicity. I'm mostly a metal fan, if that helps.

What can you guys recommend I stuff my ears full of?
Other than the obvious answer of "very sharp knives", you should probably look for stuff described as "complextro".

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
My take on it is basically that I don't really see a substantive difference between reviewing an album and posting about it. Like, okay, you have thoughts on an album, post about it in an appropriate thread, whether that's an existing one that's relevant or a new one. What's distinct about "reviewing" albums that sets it apart from normal posting and discussion?

edit: to be clear, I know this is mentioned in the OP, but this thread is of course not the appropriate thread for unsolicited reviews.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Well I don't know a whole lot about pop so I don't really know what I'm talking about. By produce I just mean compose their own backing music I guess.
Again, why is that important?

To avoid beating around the bush, there's a weird idea amongst a lot of people that a talented performer composing their own music makes it somehow more valid and therefore good, but that seems sort of silly to me given the wealth of pop (and other kinds of) music that has existed for decades that obviously defies this idea. Not to put too fine a point on it, but who gives a poo poo?

edit: I guess that should be "why should anyone give a poo poo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Since I second his opinion, I'll chime in and say that it's an unproductive, rockist baby boomer mentality that's tied to a specific moment in pop music history and probably needs to go the way of the buffalo. I mean, these dudes wrote a bunch of songs that are better and more memorable than the entire Beatles songbook without bringing the entire "performer writing their own material" construct into it. And on the other hand, a performer can often create the most enduring or definitive version of a song that they had nothing to do with the composition of.
Definitely a worthwhile topic, but let's take this discussion to a separate thread.

edit:

nice mattimer posted:

"This is dayvan cowboy from our new alboum the campfire headphase. we're the boards of canada. check us out. or don't. whatever."

It's still a good song though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBZeWjGjl8
Who is this in reply to?