Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Koaxke posted:

Why would you post something in a recommendation thread that doesn't ask for or provide recommendations, or add anything of value to the thread?
Just to be clear: if someone asks for recommendations in a genre, and you know nothing about the genre except the single artist that every insufferable college student knows, you absolutely should not reply.

edit: also, you didn't do this, but so people know, if one were to recommend Sublime in response to such a request you will be banned.

edit2 : I misused the subjunctive mood. Going to throw myself off a cliff now.

het fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm looking for a bit of an odd recommendation, because it's a genre I really like and is rare as all hell: "Updated" Spaghetti Western music, mixed with another genre - most often rock, metal or industrial overtones but I'm pretty open.

A great example would be a couple of the short tracks on the Escape from LA soundtrack. I've been fortunate enough to run across this sub-genre a few other times, but generally only a song here or there, or part of a song.. never something approaching an album or band that does this sort of thing.

So yeah. Basically I'm looking for anything that's a unique take on the kind of music you might hear in The Good The Bad and the Ugly or films of that ilk. I'd really love it if it had an almost sci-fi'ish vibe to it; there were times it got close to this with the Firefly/Serenity soundtracks, but despite the whole theme, it was still very, very rare.
The band Across Tundras was recommended to me as being a sort of Morricone-styled take on metal (stoner metal, more or less), and I thought the description fit fairly well, you might check them out.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I really like Burial but since 'dubstep' changed its definition and became all about the WUBWUBWUB I don't know what to search for. What else should I be listening to?
Try out Clubroot, 2562, Dusk + Blackdown, Silkie, Kryptic Minds, and Hyetal (dubstep in this vein is such a moving target that it can vary a bit (esp D+B, Hyetal, and 2562's last LP)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Rollersnake posted:

Pretty sure the genre you want is happy hardcore.

Edit: ... "Around Us" would just be considered trance, I think?
Maybe this is exactly what King Zog is looking for and I'm offbase but this seems massively out of left field to me. I can't say I ever would have thought someone would call Jonsí trance or recommend happy hardcore to someone looking for similar music.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I really really really don't want this thread to turn into "post your favorite indie song" so judging by that list of songs (I'm assuming they're ordered from most successful to least) I would suggest you just go look up the Pitchfork top 50 albums/top 100 tracks of the year posts for the past 10 years. Maybe branch out into Boomkat if your friends are more amenable to electronic music, and maybe look at PopMatters and Stereogum or something too.

Oh, also M.O.P. - Ante Up

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Terminally Bored posted:

I can pm you my email if you've got the mp3s.
Please don't do this, that's not what this thread is for.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Please stop that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Yeah I would definitely second Blonde Redhead - 23.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

more like dICK posted:

My favourite album ever is Witching Hour by Ladytron. I would love more music that sounds like that.

(or just more stuff like Ladytron in general, to be honest)
Much less poppy/dancey, but I was just listening to The Soft Moon's self-titled LP and this track reminded me of the opener on Witching Hour:
https://vimeo.com/27637712

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Try the "Where do I start with ______?" thread, I'm sure you'll get responses there. Fair warning: you will have to click this link yourself.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mister Snips posted:

I really like "oldschool dubstep" that has a strong and complex drum pattern. I loving love phaeleh but he doesn't make much and his next album is coming out in 2013 (supposedly), and most of the similar stuff i've found are just one-off tracks made by artists who mostly make 'filthier' dubstep that isnt what i'm looking for

Burial is everyone's go-to when they hear 'oldschool dubstep' and while it's really good and I definitely love his music - it's not what I'm looking for, ya know?
FWIW I found the Tempa Allstars comps really useful in exploring older dubstep, a number of them are available on Spotify. Also a lot of people familiar with dubstep wouldn't necessarily use Burial as an exemplar of the genre; even when he came out there was a lot of talk about it being good but not entirely representative of dubstep.

edit: oh, also, you really really should read the UK Bass thread, it's invaluable and i wouldn't be surprised if you got into facets of UK Bass other than dubstep from 28 Gun Bad Boy's guides in it

het fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 10, 2012

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mister Snips posted:

I love Com Truise, and I know that they're pretty unique. I mostly love the way that it's exactly the type of music you want to listen to while sitting in a comfy chair with the lights off and staring at the VFD equalizer on your old stereo just bumping along to the music as all of the various led's in your house just blink on and off, doing they own thing. It's got that rough and untamed analog sound but it's also incredibly relaxing and warm sounding and just makes you think of a time that never really existed but its pretty swell to just sit there and enjoy it.

Bliss on Cruel Summer is pretty different but also loving incredible in the same way that Com Truise is incredible and it's probably the best song on the album that's nothing like it at all.

It's got the sweet eagle screeches and sweeping synth lines and the light chimes that come in from behind and aaaa it's just awesome
So, what, you're looking for more stuff like this? Or you're just recommending it broadly to everyone in the thread?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is more a conversation piece than a "who I need to hear", but bear with me.
I can't for the life of me figure out why you didn't make this a separate thread then?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sludge Tank posted:

Hi everyone
I'm looking for some more awesome psuedo-80's post apocalyptic computer game music that is actually more modernised (chunkier beats, more bass etc) but still has that great 8-bit kinda sound or whatever

best example I could find was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOO1cMTkSg
power glove - night force
this song friggin kicks rear end

Yeah I've been through last.fm, got com truise and a buuuunch of others but wondering if there's anything I'm missing out on?
It would probably be helpful if you mentioned the others and why they don't fit the bill so you don't get redundant recommendations, but here's a couple:

Sleepy Eyes of Death isn't exactly "8bit", but very much has that pseudo-80s synth thing going on and ends up doing sorrrt of a post rock thing maybe? They're kind of too bombastic at times for my taste, it seems a little too broad/cheap, but it's effective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmiuNk8RepU

Makeup and Vanity Set I only recently stumbled across but they have the pseudo-80s thing going on as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59qcqWnjFF0

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Volvagia posted:

I love everything Vatican Shadow's put out and there's a ton of dark electronic stuff out there (heard Silent Servant, Haxan Cloak, Raime, etc etc) but nothing that's as beat-driven and eerie...both in the music itself and the presentation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure quite how much these fit what you're looking for, but Teargas is less techno-y, more industrial and breakbeat-y, really aggressive and very dark:
An Adagio for Tandems Stacked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6AyWNKXY_U
One Day Across the Valley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOIpl2stis4

and Forward Strategy Group is closer to the techno community you're talking about and their album last year was one of my favorites:
Cultivar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHKak1QaTE0
Mandate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_LSieBJWtE

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Next time wait for someone who actually knows what the dude is talking about to reply.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thathonkey posted:

but I'm not sure exactly what they meant so maybe I should not have made that post.
No, it's a perfectly reasonable request to make. I'll defer to people who have a much deeper knowledge of the music in question to give recommendations, but generally speaking I'm assuming it's going to involve seminal house music and its roots in disco/Italo disco/electro-funk.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

alansmithee posted:

Just get the .FLAC, you'll thank me for it later.
If you're not going to provide a helpful response, don't reply at all.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Fuckin seriously? Like did you read more than 8 words in that post?

(also I would have picked a Mr. Lif track, either Phantom or Live From The Plantation)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Transistor Rhythm posted:

We the American working population
Hate the fact that eight hours a day
Is wasted on chasing the dream of someone that isn't us
And we may not hate our jobs,
But we hate jobs in general
That don't have to do with fighting our own causes.
We the American working population
Hate the nine to five day-in/day-out
But we'd rather be supporting ourselves
By being paid to perfect the pasttimes
That we have harbored based solely on the fact
That it makes us smile if it sounds dope.

Fumble outta bed and stumble to the kitchen.
Pour myself a cup of ambition.
And yawn and stretch, my life is a mess,
And if I never make it home today, God bless.

Seems to fit the bill to me. :shrug:
This is why I said "did you read more than 8 words", because the next six were "like '16 tons' by merle travis".

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Well I'm an idiot. Sorry!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gatts posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2DyXA0Rok

This is the most loving metal thing I've ever heard.
Who's this in reply to?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
On the bright side, this guy from the previous page might like it:

Kaubocks posted:

Hey so it turns out I like pretty goofy metal? Pretty much me three favorite metal albums at this point are Slough Feg's "Traveller", Brendon Small's "Brendon Small's Galaktikon", and Devin Townsend's "Ziltoid the Omniscient".

Anything else along these lines I should know about?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This is kind of a specific request, but does anyone know any good songs that are exactly 52 seconds long? I scoured my music collection and I'm at a bit of a loss.
In my library:
Zomby - Salamander (electronic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpdLRahfNJc

edit: well the rest of these didn't fit at all, I missed your followup

het fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 24, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Fallorn posted:

What ear protection do you guys use for concerts? I have a 3 day for ACL next weekend and would like to know what people like because I really dislike the idea of not taking measures to protect hearing.
Etymotic ER-20s are good and cheap ($12 on amazon), much better than the foam earplugs you get for a buck at venues

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Those On My Left posted:

Hello thread! Thanks for being so amazing and giving me lots of new music to feast on during my workday. :)

I am after some big soupy lush warm vast string sections doing lovely minimalisty sorts of things.

Basically, I want to know if anyone else ever did anything like the opening track of Johann Johannsson's Fordlandia, or his IBM album. Fordlandia and an IBM track are included below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og9QtUJZ8iI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhgRuePDCR4
I'll be honest, I absolutely love those albums and I've never found anything that quite hits exactly the same spot (including his earlier and later work, sadly). I could recommend Deaf Center, Max Richter, Steve Reich, but they aren't quite the same as Johannsson's specific sparse string-heavy compositions.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Those On My Left posted:

Yeah, this is a long-term search for me, with no real results so far. :( (At least until this thread! See below.) I really like some of Richter's stuff, but you're right, neither he nor Reich really hit the same button. Never heard of Deaf Center though, can you recommend anything in particular?
They have two albums, Pale Ravine and Owl Splinters, both are quite good. It's really not the same, as you said, though. Unsurprisingly there's lots of people doing this sort of thing with piano but strings increase the budget/complexity of recording I guess?

One other name that crossed my mind which you've probably checked out is Olafur Arnalds. He may be closer than the others but the thing that stood out to me with Fordlandia and IBM 1401 was the length of the compositions and I think his tracks still tend to be under 5 minutes from what I've seen. I'm honestly not familiar enough with his catalog to give a specific recommendation but he has a boatload of stuff up on Spotify.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

me your dad posted:

No Mazzy Star post should go without a picture of their singer Hope Sandoval:

:getin:
Please don't do this

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

the posted:

I want some more power metal bands, songs similar to Freedom Call. Nothing as fast as Dragonforce or with super long guitar solos like Dragonforce.

Hammerfall, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Iron Savior, maybe Sabaton? There's seriously like a million power metal bands from Germany and Sweden alone so there's really no shortage, I just dunno what you're already familiar with or what in particular about Freedom Call grabs you. Dragonforce explicitly cast themselves as a contrast to the predominant trends in power metal at the time ("boring mid-tempo power metal"), so you should have a lot of options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-mQ9hXXGdQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y3CMlvrkN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSDsYmZREwo

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Declan MacManus posted:

I need harmony/twin guitar stuff. I'm already familiar with Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Television, Mastodon, and the Allman Brothers. Stuff like Vas Dis by Wishbone Ash would be cool, but anything involving multiple lead guitars is what I'm after. No Skynyrd.
I'm seconding Slough Feg, they make heavy metal with a really apparent Thin Lizzy influence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hrfxy3lvr8

The first 5 tracks on Atavism are just like perfect

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

DholmbladRU posted:

I dont know if this is the correct place but I am looking for some decent headphones to drown out my annoying coworkers. Found these;

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V55-BR-Style-Headphones/dp/B007BY3PNW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391701120&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+mdr

But I dont know much about headphones.
Check out this thread about headphones in Inspect Your Gadgets and don't listen to this guy:

brothertim posted:

If you're trying to block out coworkers, you might want to look for headphones with active noise cancelling. You'll pay more for them, but you'll probably get a better result to what you need.
(no offense, but the IYG thread I linked above will explain why active noise cancellation is often not worthwhile or what people are looking for/think it is)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

TrixRabbi posted:

Hey, so now that Turntable.fm has shut down, does anybody know of any other social music sites where you can listen to music with other people? Admittedly, I was one of the many users that stopped using it, which caused it to shut down in the first place. But I was in the mood to let some other people DJ my music tonight and was sad to find out it had shut down. Anything similar out there?
http://plug.dj/ sprung up a couple months ago, was at least obviously inspired by turntable.fm, though instead of maintaining a local set of music, they just let you queue up youtubes, so not quite the same thing.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Okay let's try and keep requests a little narrower than just "female vocalist", otherwise it just becomes PYF.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Declan MacManus posted:

Michael Jackson.
Booooooooooooooooo.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Anatharon posted:

I feel like I'm in a rut with what I listen to.

Particular genre isn't important because I'd either like to listen to what I like already or to see if I like new things, but what're some good groups (Or just songs if they're more one hit wonder types) that aren't particularly well known?

There's no way I can say that without sounding like a wannabee hipster.
Read some threads, go to some websites (pandora, spotify, last.fm, pitchfork, whatever), but don't make requests like this because they are dumb and make this otherwise-very-good thread not very good because everyone just posts their favorite poo poo and that's sort of pointless/not what this is for. It seriously could not be easier to find music you haven't heard of.

(to everyone else, obviously please do not reply to this guy)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

How are u posted:

Hey there music friends! I never post in this forum because I don't care about music a ton but the new U2 album is really super awesome and I can't seem to figure out which thread people are discussing it in. If somebody could point me to the right place that'd be awesome!

Just want to see what other people think about the loveable lads from liverpool :)
This dumb poo poo would have worked better had you not posted the same thing in the pop music thread several days ago and got responses.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Himuro posted:

Hopefully Het won't mind.
It's "het".

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Declan MacManus posted:

Do you want to spice things up along those lines or do you want to totally broaden your horizons with some random selections
To be clear, while branching out is great and definitely encouraged, asking for recommendations without any guidelines here is generally not productive. It's probably better to think of some genre that you never quite clicked with or always thought you'd might like and ask for more specific recommendations along those lines.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'll try to narrow this down as much as possible, it's a pretty vague question, even in my head.

Are there any songs/bands that work with really simple and crisp and dominating synth melodies that are backed by other, less produced sounds?
I mean, really simple, stuff you could play with only one finger on a keyboard, plus a garage-sounding bunch of other instruments to give some life and energy.
A comparable example would help a lot, even if it's "like this, but with/without X"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Stravinsky posted:

I'm looking for more cold wave/dark synth/synthpop/gothic/what ever kind of in the vein of these:

I'll violate my own "don't be the first to reply if you're not an expert" rule and suggest TSTI http://tsti.bandcamp.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKOZte-LeuI