Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I don't know why, but I'm jonesing for something--anything--like The Hold Steady at this point. There's just something to fascinating about a song almost completely devoid of a catchy chorus, with the talkalong ramblings that are simultaneously hedonistic and sad. It actually kinda reminds me of "Most Likely You'll Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine," but I digress...

So, any bands like The Hold Steady, or did they get their rave reviews because they're doing something wholly unique?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Diligent Deadite posted:

'Desert Noir'
Murder By Death's Who Will Survive, And What Will Be Left Of Them? is an excellent concept album about a turn-of-the-century (I assume) Mexican town beset by the forces of evil. It mixes crunchy blues-rock with the alt-country feel and dark lyrics you're looking for. I mean:

quote:

We're all waiting for the end
What kind of finish will He send?
These hands made of splinters
Keep knocking back the whiskey sours.

I've got a few more days to go
And I've got another crust of bread somewhere
Holed up, waiting in this, what's left of the house.

Fill the lamp up with kerosene and toss the rest in the hall
Just coat the walls and strike a cigarette
When you hear them coming
We'll pray for them and stay with them
'Til the poor little bastards die hand in hand
We'll never forget them when they're gone.
Maybe that was a bit much to quote, but you get the idea. Excellent storytelling, and a killer album from start to finish.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

CloseFriend posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm falling in love with I'm-just-about-to-beat-your-rear end rap-rock. What's some more good stuff that's more like Rage Against the Machine, Urban Dance Squad, Quarashi, or to a lesser extent Saliva or Black Light Burns and less like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park? Focus on instrumentation would be a big plus.
Methods of Mayhem and Bloodhound Gang. :cool:

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Are there any other booty bass albums with intellectual lyrics a la Bangers & Cash?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Threatis posted:

are you looking for their deep introspective love songs like "Shake It Till My Dick Turns Racist", or more along the lines of Social Commentary like "Bitch!"?
Either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

HatchetDown posted:

I recently had a friend recommend me Aesop Rock but I forget the albums he said I should grab and his phone is off now so I can't figure it out now. I think one of them was a callabo with another artist. I'd remember it if I heard the name but I can't quite bring it up.
Pick up None Shall Pass, play "Citronella" on repeat for hours on end. You will be me, circa 2007.