Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

He is obviously asking for Slow Ride by Foghat. Take it easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

My favorite "bedtime ambient" album by far is Biosphere's Dropsonde

Tor Lundvall's Empty City is a close runner up.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nillerz posted:

I need an annoying Ringback tone! A ringback tone that is original, yet universally despised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVybOXeWnhw

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

What are some prepared piano pieces along the lines of what Aphex Twin does in "drukqs"?

It's not prepared exactly (not in the John Cage sense anyway) but you should check out Freescha for some great twisted/distorted electronic piano musics.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Popcorn posted:

I demand more dreamy 80s synthpop along the lines of DOOT DOOT

HURRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uy4odKfFiM

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

where do I begin with Blonde Redhead? And which albums are considered their best?

I don't know what the fan consensus is but my personal favorite is In An Expression of the Inexpressable, so maybe start with that one? It's got this awesome song on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQEiWxJIFkE

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

enterdeathE posted:

Thanks for the suggestion Gamma Nerd but the music just isn't for me. I know i suggested indie music but I'm really looking for more of a rock band like System of A Down. I know I'm a picky about my music so don't worry about it. Keep sending bands my way, we'll find something eventually.

I think you would like TooL have you listened to them?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Rome lately. I really like the whole melancholy martial folk thing, but the problem is almost everyone else that makes music like that is a nazi. And I don't like nazis. Does anyone have recommendations for that martial industrial neo-folk type stuff that isn't made by racists?

Well that is rather a tough question. Obviously there are artists like Der Blutharsch who claim not to be fascists or racists but who still use rather Nazi-ish imagery and it's not exactly easy to sort all that out.

You might try Ancient VVisdom, a band out of Austin - they are not really neo-folk, but share many aesthetic elements of the genre and I think would appeal to the same audience. They sing about the cycle of life and death, no nationalism or race or runic mysticism. And they are very good.

There's also the less martial side of neoclassical which sometimes involves elements of neofolk. Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Ordo Equitum Solis, some Dead Can Dance tracks, etc. I've not seen any Nazi imagery or racism associated with this area of things. In fact Sam Rosenthal who founded Projekt, a record label with a lot of good neoclassical and darkwave stuff, is Jewish so I kind of doubt he'd allow Nazi's on the label.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't think Douglas P is really a Nazi either, but I think it's understandable that people are put off by his constant use of Nazi related symbolism and incorporating actual Nazi music into his work.

Personally I still listen to DiJ and even enjoy stuff like Seelenlicht even though Troy Southgate is definitely a racist poo poo.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 16, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im looking for more current bands like All Them Witches. heavy blues-infused hard rock/metal with a bit of twang, weird and spiritual lyrics, and excellent musicianship. especially their most recent album where they stripped down to bass/guitar/drums trio.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Kind of a weird question, has anyone ever "chopped and screwed" music that isnt hip hop or electronic and done a decent job of it?

yes dj screw himself has done so, if you count pop ballads like no ordinary love and in the air tonight, they sound loving great imo

obviously these tracks are still partly electronic production-wise. if you are asking about someone doing it with like folk music or something i dunno. i dont think that would work so well.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Children of Coyote Woman by All Them Witches

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

What are some good albums to check out if I’m looking for more downbeat electronic chill music like Portishead’s Dummy or Air’s Moon Safari?

DJ Cam - Mad Blunted Jazz

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing and Pre-Emptive Strike

Blockhead - Music by Cavelight

DJ Krush - Krush, Kakusei, and Zen

Imhotep - BluePrint

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 16, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Anybody have any favorite acoustic instrumental artists? Anything lowtempo from Ry Cooder sprawling blues to jazzy cafe stuff, I'm not picky.

this whole album is extremely good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qgrmKUUuDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

o yea that reminds me this band i used to be in fits what you are looking for. purely instrumental and mostly acoustic (the violinist used a few effects) and our guitarist was a huge leo kotke fan. unfortunately we are no longer a band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7_22iKuTw