Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Another one that doesn't feature keyboards but is a melancholy song with a female singer:

Anouk - Tom Waits

Also, it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Etheldreda posted:

Ooh, sad girls with pianos are a favourite of mine. Here are a few I enjoy.
Oh, that reminds me, check out Sarah Slean's album Night Bugs. It's incredible.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Where do I get started with They Might Be Giants? I remember hearing them a while back, and watching Coraline like 3 or 4 times has made me quite interested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
They have a ton of albums... their most popular, as far as I know, are Flood, Apollo 18 and Lincoln. All of them are very good. Flood was my first TMBG album, so I may be biased, but I think it's their most accessible, and it also has their two best known singles (Particle Man and Istanbul). I haven't liked their most recent stuff very much.

TMBG is a pretty weird band so try to listen to samples from multiple albums and see what you think.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

pantsfish posted:

Nobody?
Try the Kaiser Chiefs. I only have their album Yours Truly, Angry Mob, but I love it and I hear their first album was better.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Omena posted:

Can anyone recommend me bands like Sublime? I've tried Last.fm but I'm not a huge fan of dub music, which seems to be all I'm getting. I like the reggae taste of Sublime.
I've been listening to the Expendables lately, they don't sound like Sublime per se but they remind me a lot of them. Pick up Gettin' Filthy, it's their drummer's favorite (I asked him!). My favorite tracks off it are "Let Her Go," "Head In My Hands" and "Sacrifice."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

NnamkcebNairb posted:

I'm still interested to know if anyone can help me out with this.
This is a really broad request, there are a shitload of songs that use palm-muting extensively. Try Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Who sounds like Operation Ivy and Stray Bullets, especially the latter?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Unrelated: What's the best place to start with the Eels?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh fabulous, thank you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Who sounds like Chicane? And does this (sub)genre have a name? I get that it's trance, but I'd like to be able to target more specifically since other trance (Sasha, e.g.) sound nothing like that.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Jadz posted:

I'm looking for some trance/techno stuff that sounds anything like Orbital's "Halycon + On + On". I love that track, it's got a great "chill out" beat to it. Anyone know of anything similar to that?
Try Chicane's album Behind The Sun.

I would love more recommendations in this vein myself, actually, as evidenced by my post about Chicane on this page.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

aliencowboy posted:

I'm looking for some cheesy sounding spacey keyboard/synth music to chillout to.
Have you hheard Ratatat?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

KirbySSB posted:

I'm looking for more stuff that is sort of like Zero 7, Sia, Air, Bitter:Sweet, Rogue Traders. Downtempo / trip-hop / fashion pop???? I know it's not all exactly in the same genre but I'm trying to get that general feel.
These recommendations are pretty all over the map, but you might like some of these:

- Thievery Corporation [similar, but frequently has a world music feel]
- Massive Attack [darker]
- Morcheeba [poppier, more of a groove]
- The Postal Service [more vocals, usually a bit faster]
- Ivy [poppier]
- Orbital [weirder, varied]
- Portishead [darker, heavier]
- Frou Frou [dance pop]

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Looking through my library, I realize my punk selection is 90% pop-punk and classic punk. What are some of good punk albums that came out in the past 10, 20 years?
Past 20 years? Okay, that's since 1989. There's a bunch, but try some of these:

Rancid - ... And Out Come The Wolves (1995)
Dillinger Four - Midwestern Songs of the Americas (1998)
Operation Ivy - Energy (1989)
NOFX - Punk In Drublic (1994)
Dropkick Murphys - Do Or Die (1998)
Street Dogs - Fading American Dream (2006)
Swingin' Utters - Five Lessons Learned (1998)

There's a bunch more but that should get you started. If you like any of them, look up the rest of that artist's catalog.

(edited to add release years)

guppy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 2, 2009

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

thedavid posted:

I've been tasked with providing the music for my 18 year old sister in law's graduation party. Aside from cliche lists like this that I found on the internet:

... I'm having problems. There's going to be a gaggle of 18 year old girls, who listen to what 18 year old girls listen to. Problem is, aside from 'general pop' I don't really have a clue. Any ideas for an uptempo party mix that won't be hyper offensive to my mother in law? Why does this make me feel so old?

Difficulty multiplier - they generally seem to like radio-pop and mtv type stuff, not your normal NMD fare
I can't give too much help on this one but Lady Gaga's singles are probably good picks -- check out Just Dance, Poker Face and LoveGame.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tranceMiNuS posted:

I'm making a playlist, and so far I have:
Beautiful Drug - Thievery Corporation <-- Epitome of the style I'm looking for
Talk Show Host - Radiohead
Six Underground - Sneaker Pimps
The Fuel - Sneaker Pimps

Basically, I'm looking for stuff that's sexy, downtempo, probably kind of triphoppy - stuff to shoot heroin and have sex to. Pandora has mostly been giving me meh stuff, any recommendations?
It's not trip hop, but try Morphine. My favorite of theirs is "Cure For Pain," but "A Head With Wings" is probably a better fit for your mix.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

winvirus posted:

Can anyone recommend some good pianists with strong vocals? Or just anything that has a great piano tune and good singing too.
I recommend Sarah Slean every chance I get. Check out her album Night Bugs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Godzilla07 posted:

I need some punk recommendations. I've owned London Calling for a long time and I have Nevermind the Bollocks. I'm not too much of a fan of Nevermind the Bollocks and I love London Calling. I hope I'm not being too vague here.
This is still pretty broad but try the Swingin' Utters, I'm pretty sure you'll like them. IMO their best is Five Lessons Learned.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hirez posted:

Anyone able to recommend anything similar to:

The Dangerous Summer
The Starting Line
The Spill Canvas
I only know The Starting Line. Have you done the well-known stuff like Saves The Day already? You might also try The Juliana Theory.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What's some good aggressive-sounding electronica along the lines of the Prodigy?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Haha, I've heard happy hardcore. Ugh.

I said "electronica" because I was under the impression that it was a catch-all term for electronic music, as opposed to something like "techno" which has a specific subgenre connotation. Is there a better word to use?

Thanks for the leads, all.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cometa Rossa posted:

I'm looking for some very upbeat folk music in the vein of, say, Slavic folk or klezmer. A good example would be something like DeVotchKa's 'Death By Blonde'; never mind the animation. Instrumentation doesn't really matter, as well as any permeating rock or punk influence, just as long as there's a strong ethnic sound.
Have you tried Gogol Bordello?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_81l4DXlwM

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Lot of the big names hit already, but:

Elentor posted:

Sneaker Pimps - Awesome, more like what I was looking for.
The album 6 Underground is off of, Becoming X, is a classic in the genre and you should definitely get it. I like their other stuff too, but for some crazy reason they asked Kelli to leave after that and one of the guys sings. It's still good but it's a different sound.

You should also check out Morcheeba. They've been through several singers; Big Calm is generally considered their best, but most of their stuff is good. My three favorites are Big Calm, Who Can You Trust? and Dive Deep. The Antidote is decent but has a different sound and I don't like Charango very much.

I'm gonna try some of these other recommendations myself, there's a few I don't know in there. :)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

3. I've also been listening to Butterfingers, and I like them and want some more Australian or UK hip hop (thats not grime)
Looking up Butterfingers on YouTube I didn't find any hip-hop in my first several clicks, but for Aussie hip-hop you might try the Herd.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FalconGuy016 posted:

I know very very little about techno or electronica (?) music but I always enjoy it when I hear a really chill "techno" song. Maybe chill trance song? I don't know. I'd like to get into that world but I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend me anything?
Give Chicane and Paul Oakenfold a listen.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CloseFriend posted:

So I'm looking for some good rap-rock. Lately I've been enamored with Quarashi, and I'd love to hear more music like that. I also like Methods of Mayhem, Urban Dance Squad, and even though they're not entirely what I'm thinking of, Rage Against the Machine and the Chili Peppers. Like so many others, I also hate Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (but I love Black Light Burns). Pandora's not much help on this one, unfortunately. Any recommendations?
Tried Street Sweeper Social Club?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_hAsFtcHo

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LuckySevens posted:

Anyone know of some bluesy female singers like Fiona Apple? I love that kind of sexy voice and would love to hear some other artists like her.
I don't consider Fiona Apple bluesy :confused: but a few names that I like to listen to when I'm in the mood for stuff like her: Shivaree, Sarah Slean and even Garbage.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I think I've asked this before but I don't think anyone had any recs, so trying again as it's been a while and maybe new people are reading -- I'm looking for more stuff like Chicane.

I've heard stuff like Above & Beyond, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk, DJ Shah, Sunlounger, BT, Tiesto, so on so forth. None have really scratched that itch.

I'm not sure exactly what defines the sound I want -- BT is a little more aggressive than I'm looking for, Sunlounger is a little too chilled, Armin van Buuren and Tiesto are a little too boring. Pretty sure I want vocals for most of it, and relaxed music but still something with a decent beat. Anyone?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm looking for bands that primarily do covers in an unusual style like The Baseballs (but it can be any genre) but not to the point of parody. Recommendaions of things like Pop goes Punk would be good too.
I assume you've heard Me First and the Gimme Gimmes?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, so, I've basically been a fan of Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival since the early days of Battlefield: Vietnam, and I've semi-recently been bothered to go and see if I can find any more music like it. But, from what I've seen, (well, heard) it appears to be the only CCR song of its' 'type'; the others are all fairly different, really.

So yeah, anyone know of any music/songs similar (or similar-ish) to CCR's Fortunate Son, that's any good?
Like everyone else I think your analysis of CCR is nonsense, but try The Band:

Ophelia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpO4lji8lR0
The Shape I'm In - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXXmJwcAmso (can only find live, sorry)
Up On Cripple Creek - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisXJSsULGM (farther stylistically from Fortunate Son, but included as probably their most famous song)

koboldstyle posted:

Hey guys!

I guess I've really been getting a hard-on lately for stuff I would call "New Soul" along the lines of Amy Winehouse or Adele. Contemporary stuff that really recalls some of the rougher anguished vocalizing of Etta James or Nina Simone or Wanda Jackson, but laid over much more creative hip-hop styling. I really can't seem to be able to stand modern Soul or R&B but I'm a big fan of the Verve Remix albums so I guess I'm looking for a sort of difficult-to-describe authenticity of new mixed with old.

Any thoughts?

A touch of funk with it is definitely appreciated.

Edit: Stuff like (older) Morcheeba comes to mind as well.
Have you heard Fitz and the Tantrums?

Breakin' The Chains Of Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIEIOJdi5I
MoneyGrabber - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb6cBKE3WzQ&feature=related

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

In It For The Tank posted:

Requesting recommendations for Billy Bragg? Please.
I still don't know that much about him, but I asked this question elsewhere a while ago, and I was told I should start with Talking With The Taxman About Poetry, and if I liked that to go on to Workers Playtime.

There is also a really good collaboration project he worked on with Wilco called Mermaid Avenue. Lyrically, it's unreleased Woody Guthrie poetry set to music. Guthrie's daughter asked Bragg to do it, and Bragg asked Wilco to participate. I believe both worked on the music, and the album features both performing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

blakout posted:

I'm kinda stuck in a rut as far as my music goes. The main thing I want from my music is passion. So much of current Indie stuff seems kinda sterile to me (plus the usual male singing voice gets on my nerves EG Bon Iyer). My favorite bands are stuff like Gogol Bordello, Mumford and Sons, Gaslight Anthem , old Bruce Springsteen and The Who. Stuff thats big energetic passionate. I'm totally great with heavy stuff as long as theres lyrics and singing not growling. Sorry if I'm being too broad.
I like this in my music too and the recommendations so far haven't scratched the itch so I thought I'd throw in Buckcherry as one band that does this for me, at least their first album. Here's a track that would be unexceptional without that energy, but to me is amazing because of it, especially the bridge.

Buckcherry - Check Your Head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Hng802lPo&ob=av2e

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Martytoof posted:

I'd love if someone could recommend me something in the style of Air's "Moon Safari" album. Very soulful, downtempo, almost chillout electronic.

All the aggregator suggestions don't really seem to "hit" the same feeling.

I love that album. I don't know that I can recommend things that are exactly like that, but here are some artists to try, albums to start with, and YouTube links to tracks:

Morcheeba - Big Calm
Big Calm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wy8QmLlM8
Blindfold - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGDM4j9Wj0

Goddamn incredible album. They have several other good ones. Be advised that The Antidote has a very different sound, and Charango is basically straight up bad. They have changed singers a few times; their most recent, Dive Deep, has a different vocalist than their first couple of albums, but it's quite good anyway.

Zero 7 - When It Falls
Somersault - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ov3etUsYo
Warm Sound - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmPchJQjqUk

They have at least one more album, but I haven't heard it.

From there you might investigate more "classic" trip hop, but that might not be chillout enough for you. Here's some standard recommendations:

Portishead - Dummy
Mysterons - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3baifH7bhI
Sour Times - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIcxMuORco

The classic Portishead album.

Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X
6 Underground - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrvk1bmTayg
Post-Modern Sleaze - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmlEL1DeaKg

This is, I believe, their only album with this vocalist, and the remaining albums feature a male vocalist (one of the two founding members). I like some of them -- Bloodsport is pretty good -- but this one is the classic, especially "6 Underground," which is very famous in that scene.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm doing some ballroom dancing stuff and I need practice music. Foxtrot, waltz, rumba, cha-cha, and tango. Particularly partial to Latin ballroom, but I need it all. I know nothing about Latin music especially. Any suggestions?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have and really love The Exciting Wilson Pickett. A lot of the other artists I think of as soul (Al Green, e.g.) aren't really the same kind of stuff. What else should I listen to? Aretha is great but already on my radar.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That's fantastic, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

potatocubed posted:

In other news, I'm looking to expand my knowledge of rap and hip-hop music. I like Eminem, Sage Francis, Dizzee Rascal, Foreign Beggars, some Wu Tang Clan (Mystery of Chessboxin and Gravel Pit spring to mind) so if anyone can recommend other artists with that kind of rapidfire delivery that would be ace, ta.

You might enjoy the Coup, who pair phenomenal rhymes with very fast delivery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua5GGkZD1Tk

If you want an older sound, you might give a listen to Big Daddy Kane, who helped pioneer fast rhyming in the '80s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-mOgRw9ozA