Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Uthor posted:

Well, I was gonna say Lucero, but Lucero was already said multiple times.

I dig Lydia Loveless. Warning, her last album is all about divorce. Give Boy Crazy a listen to.

I'd also suggest checking out Chuck Ragan.

Oh, the guy from Hot Water Music, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

OldSenileGuy posted:

What are some good albums to check out if I’m looking for more downbeat electronic chill music like Portishead’s Dummy or Air’s Moon Safari?

Sometimes I put on the lofi beats YouTube channel to scratch this itch, and it does a good enough job but the songs are missing some unidentifiable 90’s flavor to them

The other big one from that period would be DJ Shadow's Entroducing as well.

If you're willing to go slightly into the next decade FourTet's "Rounds" might be worth a listen.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Windows 98 posted:

Any recommendations that are similar to Wet Leg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9jeJk2UHQ

Wet Leg really bring me back to like, 2008, so you might be into bands like CSS and New Young Pony Club from that whole "indie-sleaze" era.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm looking for a sound like ...

The problem is that I exclusively listen to music on YouTube, and I don't trust their algorithm one bent nickel. Pandora is useless unless I re-listen to everything I've listened to in the last year, last.fm can't import from YouTube, and Discogs wants me to note the albums, which in some cases I don't even know because they're uploads of TV shows. If anybody knows a way to export your YouTube playlist, I'm all ears.

I lived in the South for ten years, and I thought I hated country. Turns out I hate the current Nashville sound, which is different. I tripped over outlaw country a week or so ago, and I wondered how I'd missed out for so long. So: Waylon, Willie, Johnny, Kris, Nanci Griffith, Orville Peck, Nashville Skyline, some Merle Haggard, Hank Williams. I think of CSNY and Linda Ronstadt as being similar in style, but I've been wrong before. I grew up listening to '60s and later '70s folk.

What I think I see in common is lower-production, voice-forward, singer-songwriters. There may be continuities I'm missing because I don't know the terms. I don't like the "patriotic" stuff that is currently in vogue.

Who (especially if currently recording) would you recommend in that vein? Who else comes to mind?

I'm currently exploring alt-country myself, and there's some good recommendations up thread when I asked about it, but in terms of currently recording/touring Lydia Loveless and MJ Lenderman are really floating my boat. They're definitely a bit more electric, but definitely not part of that overproduced pop-country thing.