Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Reposting a previous request that didn't get any love.

Been digging Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska recently. Do any of his other albums sound like that? Lo-fi country and a poo poo load of reverb. Aside from Springsteen who else does this? I know my Dylan btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I love Isis. Oceanic and Panopticon are some of my all time favourite records. Who sounds like them?

Meshuggah were a bit too technical and no slow-builds. There are so many imitators to the Isis sound but who's actually good?

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I'm in need of some black metal. I've just finished properly listening to Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness for the first time and I loved it. I don't really care for camped up black metal of Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth but Immortal's slow icy passages, synth breakdowns and washed out guitars are all good.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Been enjoying Stevie Ray Vaughan a lot at the moment. What other texas blues should I be checking out?

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I really like Burial but since 'dubstep' changed its definition and became all about the WUBWUBWUB I don't know what to search for. What else should I be listening to?

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

Holy Other is pretty close to Burial. You may also like Actress and Balam Acab, which are less similar but I think have a lot of the same qualities

Het posted:

Try out Clubroot, 2562, Dusk + Blackdown, Silkie, Kryptic Minds, and Hyetal (dubstep in this vein is such a moving target that it can vary a bit (esp D+B, Hyetal, and 2562's last LP)

Thanks guys. Loved Holy Other and making my way through Het's suggestions currently

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Can someone recommend me some bands that sound like Children Of Bodom? Recently I can't stop listening to Hatebreeder and Hate Crew Deathroll.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I'm after what I would call stripped-back dark piano-led blues / country. Is there a piano version of Josh T Pearson, for example?

Predominantly solo piano perhaps with some strings and gravely vocals. Like Nick Cave's Idiot Prayer but a bit less ... Nick Cavey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

me your dad posted:

You may already be well aware, since you mentioned Nick Cave, but maybe early Tom Waits when he was predominantly piano and strings?

https://youtu.be/eo3ilqhf1tE

https://youtu.be/PejBkU4-1fk

Unfortunately yes I’m already aware and love it. But definitely something else in this vein!