Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goky
Jan 11, 2005
Goky is like Goku only more kawaii ^____^
For some reason, I've been hit with an urge to listen to celtic music lately. It's nice for studying and working. Sometimes it's a bit too happy, though.

Without sounding like a gigantic dork, I was hoping I could find some instrumental music that seems middle-ages inspired but more "dark" and fantasy'esque . These two songs from the Diablo 2 soundtrack are kind of what I'm thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTUz4OnzdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=layjWs2IpS4

If possible, I'd prefer something that wasn't too over-the-top (i.e. not written with the intent of "sounding epic"), but more ambient instead.

The LotR movie soundtracks have some songs reminiscent of that style--but I was hoping I could get some other suggestions outside of movies and video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goky
Jan 11, 2005

escape artist posted:

Two requests:

I'm interested in discovering some more really quality hip-hop.

I also want to find some more prolific songwriters with profound lyrics. Tom Waits, Steve Earle, Elliot Smith, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen are a few I love that come to mind.

These are pretty generic requests, I think, but

For hip-hop, check out Kendrick Lamar's Section.80 mixtape/album. I started listening to it last summer (took a few listens before it grew on me) and it still gets pretty decent rotation.

Song-writers: Have you listened to Gram Parsons? He was a huge influence on Steve Earle and the entire country/rock/folk hybrid genre. For more folky folk, I'm a fan of Iron & Wine and also Ray Lamontagne.

Edit: vvv Yeah, can't believe I forgot about Townes Van Zandt. Listen to him.

Goky fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 24, 2012

Goky
Jan 11, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I'm running out of drones and need you to recommend me the austerest drones you've got. I'm not talking talking drone rock or drone metal or anything of that sort but stuff like Time Machines, NWW Soliloquy for Lilith, Alvin Lucier's In Memorian of John Higgins, waves just going on for a long long time without much variation and very pure and direct sounding.

This is only one song, but m83's "Midnight Souls Still Remain" fits this pretty well. The song just plays a note on a synth for about 11 minutes, harmonizing it with two other notes one at a time by subtly switching between each every few seconds.

Goky fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 26, 2012

Goky
Jan 11, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So I'm looking for something. I listen to a lot of metal. Mostly progressive technical stuff (Symphony X, Dream Theater, Leprous, etc) and a lot of death metal, but I'm looking for something less screamy. I don't like a lot of straight up prog (RPWL or any of the straight up 70's prog sounds, although I listen to it often because there's simply nothing else out there like it. I tried listening to The Mars Volta on somebody's recommendation (based on the odd time signatures and technical stuff) and the odd time signatures and technical stuff is cool but I can't stand their voices, same with Circa Survive. I've recently can't get enough of Dead Letter Circus. Who else might I like?

tl;dr:

like: progressive technical stuff like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Leprous, Death Metal, Dead Letter Circus

don't like: straight 70's Prog, djent, tech-death, mathcore, whiny emo voices

want: Leprous to make another album (and more stuff like them and / or Dead Letter Circus)

Have you listened to Pain of Salvation? Their album 'The Perfect Element, Part 1' is a good starting place.

Goky
Jan 11, 2005

regularizer posted:

I really like the Gin and Juice cover by The Gourds, so can anyone recommend me other rap song covers in different genres?

Dynamite Hack - Boyz in the Hood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeL9gagV_VA

Goky
Jan 11, 2005
I am looking for speedy metal that is somewhat melodic to accompany my workouts. It doesn't have to be growl-free, but some vocal melodies every now and then would be nice. Tonight I discovered Edge of Haze's Illumine after a google search and I like it--so maybe something like that, but maybe more energetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goky
Jan 11, 2005
The first band (Whispered) is exactly the type of music I was looking for. Thanks! I don't really know enough about the genre to correctly phrase what I was in the market for, but good job figuring it out. :)

Goky fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 10, 2015