Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I posted this in the last thread, and got nothing:

quote:

I have a request - does anyone know of anything that sounds like Gold Chains' early work? I was listening to Rock The Parti the other day, and when playing his last album right after hearing that track, it just doesn't compare. The sound of the first EP, some of the second EP, and tracks like Nada, What Are We Looking For and Code Red from 'Young Miss America' are what I'm after.

'When The World Was Our Friend' just doesn't have the right attitude. And he's not done anything other than a few remixes in years

Anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bathcat posted:

I like surrealist lyrics like Aesop Rock, Pig Destroyer, and Sparklehorse, and noisy, choppy music like Merzbow, Aphex Twin and The Glitch Mob.

Any interesting lyrics set to this kind of music? Especially looking for good glitch hop.

For surrealist lyrics you could check out cLOUDDEAD, I suppose, but it's more 'dreamy' than glitchy

For harsher stuff - Dälek do some nice weird dark glitchy hip hop that you may like. My personal favourite album is 'From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots'

Also, if you want odd lyrics over some noisy noisy poo poo, check out Xiu Xiu

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Can't help you, unfortunately, but just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to yet another Boredoms related project I didn't know about :)

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Fame Throwa posted:

I'm learning Gaelic and I'm looking for some music so I can get a better feel for the language. What are some good bands? I don't like Enya sort of music so much but that's most of what I find.

I asked for that in the last thread, and got no where unfortunately.

Here in the UK, BBC Alba launched recently, and it's a completely Gaelic channel. I'm not sure if there's any way to get iPlayer on America, but if you can:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_alba

That's actually how I came to ask in the last thread - I heard some decent live bands singing in Gaelic on there, and was after more.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bambi posted:

What are some of the better, "clubbier" hip-hop remixes?

Bird Peterson's remix of 'Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin' To gently caress With' is utter class - check that out

Duckforce Alpha posted:

And can anyone recommend me artists similar to 65 days of static? Other than explosions in the sky, ratatat, or m83.

maybeshewill are the biggest 65dos rip off band there is. It's scary how much they emulate them.

You might want to have a listen to Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies, too. They've done a fair bit of touring with 65dos, and have been remixed by them. They're only a wee bit similar, but if you like one you will probably like the other

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

^^^ Check out UNKLE - Lonely Souls. That Incubus song reminds me of it

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Without Pants posted:

I've been listening to Drillnbasss/breakcore/drumnbass for a few years now, and I'd like to branch out...

I'll have to be pretty vague but here goes--

I've tried a couple of radiohead albums and they didn't do anything for me. I love the abrasive, fast, aggressive aspect of Nine Inch Nails, but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics (or any lyrics, for that matter).

I guess I'm looking for similar bands that don't go too much into the screaming angry-at-nothing bit. Any ideas?

65daysofstatic can be very breakcore-y in places, for a post rock band

Epileper posted:

I've been really into Black Moth Super Rainbow for a while now, and I was wondering if there's anything else that's pretty similar to them. Mostly looking for something like this:
http://www.last.fm/music/Black+Moth+Super+Rainbow/_/Lake+Feet
Something like really organic electronic with an acoustic touch.
I already have a bunch of Mum, Library Tapes, and Boards of Canada

Have you got Tobacco - "hosed Up Friends"? Very similar to Black Moth..., as it's the solo project of one of the members. It's maybe worth having a listen to Animal Collective and Panda Bear, if you haven't already. And possibly Minotaur Shock

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Yeast posted:

I recently saw the 'Heaven' film clip for UNKLE.

I'd like to get into the artist, where's a good place to start?

Start with their first, and best album - "Psyence Fiction". And nab the single 'Be There'. It's got Ian Brown on it, and should really have been on the album, rather than the instrumental version they put on there

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

il_cornuto posted:

I'm looking for some more glitchy music kind of like Girl Talk's Unstoppable (although not neccessarily mashups, I've already checked the Girl Talk thread) or 65daysofstatic's Unrealased/Unreleasable stuff. I like Aphex Twin/Amon Tobin/Flashbulb/Enduser/Venetian Snares but I'm looking for something a bit different. Any suggestions?

If you want more glitched up mashup stuff, you might want to check out Bomb20's Reality Surpasses Fiction. There's so much daft stuff on those 65dos Unreleasable CDs, though, I'm not sure if that'll be perfect. Try Kid606's The Action Packed Mentalist Brings You The loving Jams, too

If, like Kincobweb says, you're after some more breakcore, get some Rotator, Sickboy, Cardopusher, CAKEBUILDER and Bong-Ra. If you want more specifics, I can talk your ear off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

il_cornuto posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations - I've got a lot to check out. I'm generally not too keen on the reggae-ish stuff, although Cardopusher was pretty cool. I actually don't mind the more chilled out stuff, and the Flying Lotus stuff is pretty good on first listen.

Electromeca is probably my favourite of the stuff so far though, exactly what I was looking for.

And yes, I do like a fair amount of IDM but the reason I posted was to try and find glitchy stuff that wasn't IDM - and so far I've got a lot of ideas.

edit (ironically): in case anyone else is looking for similar stuff, someone else recommended ediT to me, and his stuff is pretty awesome - Crying Over Pros for no reason is chilled out but really cool glitchy stuff while Certified Air Raid Material is synth heavy stuff with stop-start beats that seems sort of like a cross between mainstream d&b and hiphop.

Cool. You might want to have a listen to Cdatakill, if you like Electromeca. And edIT is great - if you want more stuff like him and Flylo, have a listen to Hudson Mohawke and Hermutt Lobby

ManoliIsFat posted:

(He probably really wants more IDMy stuff, but if we catch him early we can correct his musical course)

Haha - you know me, gotta get more converts