Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Country music and electronica. Has anyone ever combined them? And I don't just mean electronica that samples country music. I have the word "glitch-tonk" stuck in my head and I need to know if it exists or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Someone recommend me a good, interesting electronica album. To give you an idea of my tastes, I love really technical stuff like Squarepusher and Jaga Jazzist, and Aphex Twin's drukqs is one of my favorite albums of all time. I also love a lot of '70s electronic music, including Kraftwerk, Yellow Magic Orchestra, and Isao Tomita, though my absolute favorite has to be Tangerine Dream right around Ricochet.

I'm not too much in the mood for something extremely percussive and dissonant, like Autechre, or something purely ambient. Something melodic, with good ambience, that isn't too simplistic or formulaic would be great right now.

Tree Goat posted:

Looking for string-heavy indie rock stuff, kind of like Beirut or Pale Young Gentlemen but maybe a little bit more klezmery, if that's not too vague?

This is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but when I hear "indie rock" and "klezmer" mentioned in the same breath, I can only think of Charming Hostess.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 25, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

slowdave posted:

Check out the Autechre albums that aren't Confield or Quaristice.

I have. I've got Tri Repetae, Chiastic Slide, Draft 7.30, and Untilted, and several EPs, in addition to Confield. Unless there's a drastically different album by them that I haven't heard yet, I'm more in the mood for someone else. Confield was awesome, though, and I've made a mental note to check out Quaristice when I'm wanting something more in that vein again.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I want melodic and/or ambient electronica recommendations. By ambient I don't necessarily mean beatless, but having ambience. Alternatively, just recommend good electronica that doesn't sound like paint-by-numbers. I've probably heard all the really obvious artists you could recommend in this vein. I posted pretty much this same request before and people just kept recommending me Autechre albums I hadn't heard yet. Which is fine, but I would really like to hear someone new.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 31, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Dr. Quigley posted:

I'm worried that this might be "really obvious" but I like Plaid so much that I'm gonna go ahead and recommend them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh5su4GgOBY

I hadn't heard Plaid. This is good, thanks.

By really obvious I did mean really obvious—I'm hardly an expert in the genre, but I didn't want people saying "Have you heard Aphex Twin?"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

King of the Ocean posted:

Want some cool stoner melodies!

something like 70's psychedelic rock, slowed down with mad smooth guitar solos, trippyyyyy

the closest that i can think of is Opeth's 'atonement', or kyuss's 'spaceship landing'

would be much appreciated!

Ozric Tentacles are probably exactly who you want. Erpland is probably their best album overall and a good starting point, but as a rule of thumb their later albums are more spacey electronica and less psychedelic rock. Maybe try one of their earlier albums like There is Nothing.

Gong are one of the classic space rock bands, and one of my favorite bands, and I could talk about them forever. Start with the album You. If you love everything about this album, try Camembert Electrique, Flying Teapot, and Angel's Egg. If you love the music but the humor doesn't do much for you, try Expresso II or Downwind.

Heavier, and more along the lines of the Kyuss track you posted—check out Sea Shanties by High Tide, and Floating by Eloy.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 2, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

King of the Ocean posted:

Man the link didnt work in my country! :(

I checked out all these bands, im after something perhaps a bit more ambient? much slower tempos hey!

like throw in some sitars and some sweet melodies and we're talking!

i know there is heaps of music like in my examples, i just cant find it

Hmmm... what about the 13th Floor Elevators, Nirvana, Vanilla Fudge, or Spirit? I was avoiding '60s psychedelic rock and pop because I assumed you were after something heavier.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

swampland posted:

Hi, requesting ugly music. Ugly in the sense that it makes you feel sick inside but is still deeply satisfying, music that works by being very conscious of how it is not working. The Drift by Scot Walker would be a good example of what I'm after, anything in that vein would be much appreciated.

Check out Fossileyes, by The Red Masque.

Also, almost anything by the bands Univers Zero and Present. I'd recommend starting with Univers Zero's Heresie.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Elder posted:

I really like the vibraphone, but I don't have any music that features it. Any suggestions? I like a little of pretty much every genre, but I'm not looking for solo vibraphone stuff (unless it's mindblowingly awesome or something!), thanks.

Pierre Moerlen's Gong were a really good fusion/progressive rock group that prominently featured vibes. Downwind, Time is the Key, and Leave it Open are all great, as are their earlier albums (just under the name Gong) Gazeuse! and Expresso II. Just don't get the album Breakthrough as it's loving terrible.

And if Frank Zappa's not too weird for you, check out any of his albums that feature Ruth Underwood—Roxy & Elsewhere, One Size Fits All, You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore Vol. 2, etc.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 9, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

The Consultant posted:

Go look up Can.

Can are totally loving brilliant. I'd say start with Tago Mago—everything before Flowmotion is great, though.

I'd also highly recommend Amon Duul II (start with Yeti, Wolf City, or Vive La Trance), Tangerine Dream (start with Ricochet or Stratosfear), and Klaus Schulze (start with Timewind).

If you're into the more conventional hard rock side of krautrock, I'd also recommend Eloy (start with Floating), Frumpy, and Lucifer's Friend. Ambient stuff, look into Cluster (and Kluster), Harmonia, and Tangerine Dream's Zeit or Atem.

And don't make the mistake of ignoring Kraftwerk's pre-Autobahn work. It has little in common with their later robot pop, but I think it's really loving interesting, especially Florian Schneider's rhythmic flute playing.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 9, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Redkist posted:

Looking for any and all quality music from Italia whether it is in English or Italian or no vocals at all. Thanks!

If you like progressive rock, try Premiata Forneria Marconi. Their early to mid-'70s stuff is the best, and I particularly recommend L'Isola Di Niente.

In a similar vein but more recent are Deus ex Machina. I've only heard their album Equilibrismo da Insofferenza, but I think it's pretty fantastic. I think they sing in a mixture of Italian and Latin.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
This is kind of a weird request as I'm not sure what I'm looking for so much as what I'm not looking for, and I guess ultimately I'm hoping to fill a gap in my collection with something strange and unexpected.

I'm looking for interesting music from the 1940s-50s that isn't jazz, blues, or rock & roll. And as far as avant-garde music goes, I'm already familiar with Varese, Sun Ra, and Moondog.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

leftover posted:

I'm a big fan of remixes/covers of classical music. Some examples of what I'd like to hear more of are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqkFgeBFTWU - Vanessa Mae cover of Vivaldi's "Summer: III. Presto"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8oyJztzwo - JerryC cover of Pachelbel's "Canon in D"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5fa2GXVWzw - Galbatron cover of Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor"

Anyone know any other songs/groups I could look up for similar stuff?

This was actually a major trend in early progressive rock, and Emerson, Lake & Palmer in particular did a lot of this—most of their albums have at least one classical cover. Check out their "Pictures at an Exhibition," which is indeed an album-length rock adaptation of the Mussorgsky work.

Other tracks to check out include Jethro Tull's "Bouree," Curved Air's "Vivaldi," and King Crimson's "The Devil's Triangle" (Holst's Mars - The Bringer of War).

And, though it's not a cover, you might want to check out Yes's "The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun)" if you're a fan of Stravinsky.

Thank you so much.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 9, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

All good suggestions and similar to what I'm after, but I'm more interested in purely instrumental bands. Some incidental vocals here and there are fine, like on the level that some post-rock/metal bands use them (not after post-rock/metal, though).

I recommended Pierre Moerlen's Gong earlier in the thread to the guy who wanted vibraphone-heavy music, and I recommend them to you as well. They thankfully didn't sing very much as they were neither good vocalists nor lyricists. Gazeuse!, Expresso II, Downwind, Time is the Key, and Leave It Open are all very good albums.

Indukti make some really fantastic instrumental progressive metal. It's not all instrumental, and their lyrics are... not good, but you can skip over those tracks. They were absolutely amazing live, and it's very frustrating that they don't have a live album out.

Ozric Tentacles are virtuosic instrumental space rock, but I have trouble recommending a specific album as there are very few weak ones, and the cliche that they've spent their whole career remaking the same great album is more true than I would sometimes like to admit. Erpland and Strangeitude are probably their quintessential albums. Given your tastes I expect you're probably already familiar with them, but oh well.

In a similar vein to the Ozrics are Quantum Fantay. I really like their album Ugisiunsi.

And I won't suggest Magma because they're a very vocal-oriented band, but check out the Magma side project One Shot. The title track from Ewaz Vader rules so hard. No good quality version of that on youtube, unfortunately.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 15, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Saucepan Man posted:

I'm looking for some baroque-classical style stuff that uses the organ. No harpsichord please. I really enjoy the minor, diminished, and augmented sound on a nice organ. The obvious point of reference is bach's toccata and fugue, having it played with a bit of a virtuoso style is also a nice touch.

Also, I know there are some great organ work in a lot of 70's rock, so if any of those guys have some material they did on their own that would be great too, but I honestly have no idea where to start for finding these composers, Pandora is virtually no help for classical stuff either.

I can sort of help you with the '70s rock part of your request.

Check out Rick Wakeman's "The Six Wives of Henry VIII." I wouldn't recommend delving into his solo career much beyond this album, though.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0grent posted:

This is going to be vague as hell but can I get some recommendations for bands with AMAZING rhythm? I don't care what genre it is, all I need is some sick drumming/beatage.

Magma
Christian Vander is probably my favorite drummer of all time. Magma are a very strange band and a lot of people don't like the operatic/jazz scat singing in a fictional language, but I think it's all brilliant.

King Crimson
Really any era of King Crimson, but the '80s band were responsible for a lot of their most rhythmically complex music, being a weird sort of gamelan music-influenced progressive New Wave.

If you like this, you might want to check out Adrian Belew's more recent work with Eric and Julie Slick as the Adrian Belew Power Trio. Eric's an absolutely incredible drummer.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Superrodan posted:

I'm looking for sugary 80s new wave and pop that has become obscure over the years. I'm a sucker for 80s pop in general but have already heard a lot of the top ten music since it has sort of been ingrained to our culture as representing that time period. There used to be an 80s pop radio station that I listened to, but even with all of the material that is out there they ended up playing the same things over and over. Recently, I've heard a few songs on a "we'll play any music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s" station that I've enjoyed immensely and had never heard before.

I looked them up and it seems that at their time of release they were fairly well known (they all seem to have entered the Billboard 100 charts at some point, or were much bigger in England) but because they weren't top 20 hits in USA they don't get much radio play on mix stations anymore and were never on that 80s station.

So I'm wondering if any of you guys have any favorite pop singles that were not top ten in the US but were still pretty big. Here are some examples of stuff I've liked, if it helps:

The Red Rockers- China
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmevO2V2JxA

Kristy Maccoll- A New England
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fwtFSEovro

Freur- Doot Doot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pnQfPOFNLI

Icicle Works- Whisper to a Scream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxgHu5U1v4

If not, is there a free database somewhere of random billboard charts throughout the 80s? Most of the lists I have found are just the number ones.

EDIT: Holy crap, after making this post I was just about to go into the help me identify a song megathread and ask for an 80s song that featured the lyrics "Runaway" a lot in the chorus since I wanted to mention it in this post. I knew I'd recognize the title if I saw it, and sure enoguh it was posted in the post above this one, Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat. Thanks! (I'll check out the other songs since they might apply to my request as well)

Here are a few of my favorites. I'm not too big on the sugary, so some of these might not exactly fit your criteria, or be that obscure, but they're probably close enough.

Mike Oldfield - To France
(Also Moonlight Shadow, his biggest pop hit.)

Electric Light Orchestra - Twilight
(I sometimes blare this in the car when I'm coming back from evening classes, and it never fails to put me in a great mood.)

OMD - Telegraph

Yes - Run to the Light
(From that brief, bizarre period where The Buggles joined Yes. This is probably their poppiest song—the others lean more toward prog rock.)

a-ha - The Sun Always Shines on T.V.
(Far from obscure, but nowhere near as big as Take on Me in the US, and I think it's a better song.)

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 26, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Superrodan posted:

Does Mike Oldfield have anything else just as catchy?

Mike Oldfield is so catchy he basically launched Virgin Records with his debut album. As far as his pop songs, that a side of him I've not explored too thoroughly. You'll definitely want to check out the rest of Crises. And Man in the Rain off Tubular Bells III is in a similar vein as Moonlight Shadow/To France, but his instrumental progressive rock albums are his best work. Tubular Bells is iconic, but Ommadawn is probably my favorite of his works.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Boliver_Shagnasty posted:

I've been listening to a lot of traditional music from Quebec lately. Groups like Le Vent Du Nord and Genticorum are my two favorites right now; however, I really don't want to get sick of them. So, can anyone suggest either any other Quebecois bands or could anyone suggest any bands from a similar genre? There are a lot of songs on youtube by both groups for reference.

Also, my friends and I have an unofficial acapella group that we're working on. If anyone could recommend some good songs for us to do it would be greatly appreciated. We're four people, two guys and two girls, but we can make adjustments if the music needs it.

My knowledge of Quebecois music begins and ends with this band, but you almost definitely want to check out Harmonium if you haven't already. Really beautiful melodic folk-prog.

I'm in the need of Christmas music that neither my girlfriend nor I will hate. My family's Catholic, so I was raised on the choral stuff, but that's all too stodgy and solemn for my girlfriend, who grew up with pop Christmas music, and I'd rather fellate a shotgun than hear Hanson's Christmas album again. Our tastes kinda meet midway around the folky stuff, and I've already got the Jethro Tull and Sufjan Stevens Christmas albums.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 8, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
There's a ton—I'm just going to quickly rattle off a list of albums. If you want good compilations, someone else will have to help you with that.

Synthpoppy:
Ultravox - Vienna
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Dazzle Ships
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle
Sparks - No. 1 in Heaven
Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's

New Wavey:
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Japan - Tin Drum
King Crimson - Absent Lovers (live)
The Fixx - Reach the Beach
Oingo Boingo - Only a Lad

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

xcdude24 posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start with afropop? It's obviously a MASSIVE genre, but I know next to nothing about it, and wouldn't really know where to start.

I know very little about current afropop, but I quite like the '70s band Osibisa. Start with either their self-titled debut or (my favorite) Woyaya.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

HateTheInternet posted:

I'm looking for something weird, but with a sense of humor. Some of the stuff that I already listen to that falls into this category are Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Primus, Ween, Pere Ubu, the Residents, Estradasphere, and any of the Mike Patton projects and I guess to a lesser extent Devo and Buckethead. I'm having a hard time finding similarly strange bands these days without just heading into all-out avantgarde territory (which can be up its own rear end at times, and most I find completely humorless).

Any Daevid Allen/Gilli Smyth-era Gong.

Of Montreal—mainly their pre-Satanic Panic stuff, and especially Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies.

The Dukes of Stratosphear is a neat XTC side project, in which they did pastiches/parodies of '60s psychedelic rock. Somewhat Ween-like. Actually XTC as a whole would probably fit your criteria.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 18, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Count Harper posted:

So, I've had a strange inclination to get into metal for a long time, and have tried many different sub-genres and artists. I liked Opeth a little bit, but honestly, the only artist I have really enjoyed is Devin Townsend (especially Terria and Addicted!). Basically, is there any musician/band that I would like, in this case? Doesn't have to be straight-up metal or nothing. Thanks!

Try OSI, especially their first album. The two principal members of the band have very different influences, and their music is an odd mesh of heavy metal, ambient electronica, and progressive rock, with introspective lyrics and throaty vocals that would probably sound more at home in folk music. The closest comparison I can make to their overall sound is probably parts of Devin Townsend's album Ki.

Alternatively, quit poking around and listen to some straight-up Iron Maiden. I'm not a metalhead, but I really love a lot of Number of the Beast—if there's something you really like about metal, you'll almost certainly find it in the bands who defined the genre. You might even want to start with Maiden's first two albums, as their original vocalist, while not as good as Bruce Dickinson, has more of an abrasive punkish style that's interesting to hear in the context of theatrical '80s metal.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Who are some artists that have done interesting things with classical music samples? I'm already familiar with Murcof and the Drakengard soundtrack.

Alternatively, recommend the most gripping, terrifying orchestral music you can think of. I already listen to Stravinsky and Varese.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I hadn't listened to any Venetian Snares. My interest is definitely piqued. Thanks!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

I've been looking to get into Bluegrass for a while, any recommendations? I am sorry that this is the vaguest possible request but I am completely starting with a blank slate.

What got me into bluegrass was Russ Barenberg, Jerry Douglas, and Edgar Meyer's album Skip, Hop & Wobble. It's a fantastic instrumental bluegrass album, and a great introduction to the careers of all three of those musicians.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
A couple of oddly specific requests:

I want catchy, not especially abrasive industrial music I could put in an '80s mix. Something like All Day Remix by Ministry, or Feurio! by Einsturzende Neubauten.

Also, are there any good bootlegs of the last Jacksons tour with Michael, when they performed stuff from Thriller?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

freeforumuser posted:

Kansas - The Pinnacle

Anymore phenomenal prog rock tracks like the above?

A lot, actually. Kansas were very much a product of their influences, and you'll find a lot of music with a similar feel among the first wave of British prog. I'd particularly look at Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and start with Brain Salad Surgery because of Karn Evil 9.

Also if it's proggy hard rock you're mostly after, you can't go wrong with Eloy. Floating is sort of the sweet spot, as their earlier stuff sounds more simplistic and amateurish, and after Floating they moved on to bizarre concept albums that while still excellent musically are impossible to not laugh at.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Amazon Review posted:

Any recommendations for late 70s/80s British art rock or punk other than the canonized greats like Joy Division, Wire, This Heat, Public Image Ltd. and The Pop Group?

Art Bears (especially The World as It Is Today), Camberwell Now, The Comsat Angels, Eyeless in Gaza

Edit: added youtube links

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 14, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Amazon Review posted:

All four of these youtubes were exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I also neglected to mention Cardiacs because I think they peaked in the '90s, but feel the need to mention them in case you haven't heard them. They're probably my favorite art rock/punk band.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I tend to associate water with ambient music. Try Point 3 (Water Album) by System 7 or Voices by Roger Eno.

For non-ambient stuff, the only thing that comes to my mind at the moment is Drop by Cornelius, and that's perhaps a bit too literal.

Also for prog rock, you might want to check out Gentle Giant if you haven't already. They're one of the most experimental and complex groups of the first wave of British prog and have a tendency toward shorter songs than most prog groups—they never did a sidelong epic, or anything approaching that in length.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 23, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Hooplah posted:

Does there exist any bands that sound like Mew? I've been looking for a while, but they don't really fit into a genre and no one else I've heard sound even remotely like them.

I love Mew, and they're frustratingly quite unique, as far as I know.

The closest I could recommend would maybe be Gazpacho as they have a similar blend of moodiness and angelic vocals, but they have more of a post-rock and progressive rock influence that you may or may not like.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

djfooboo posted:

I love instrumental conceptual albums. I need more like these:

Gustav Holst - The Planets
Johan de Meij - The Lord of the Rings

Try The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Rick Wakeman and Metamorpheus by Steve Hackett. The former is progressive rock with a heavy classical influence, and the latter is modern classical.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 11, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I'm a big fan of Vangelis. I know the guy is pretty unique and was very much ahead of his time, but I was wondering if there are any other people/groups with a similar sound...lots of airy or fat 70's and 80's synths, sweeping arrangements, etc. I've done some poking around and haven't come up with much. Any suggestions?

Try Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Death Dealer posted:

While a lot of his music is incredibly off the wall, Frank Zappa falls under a great lyricist as well. Sure, a lot of it is basically novelty music, but there's quite a bit of it that is actually remotely approaching serious as well, such as Heavenly Bank Account.

I'm probably going to catch a load of poo poo over this, but since there's not a Jazz thread that I noticed and I'm curious about the Genre is there a specific style that's similar to Yoko Kanno's work on Cowboy Bebop? I've skimmed Pandora a bit (specifically the Bebop station) but either her work is only Jazz-inspired or I'm looking in the wrong place. I appreciate any suggestions given that Jazz is one of the few "main" genres I haven't exposed myself to much so far.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2rVnRwW0h8 For reference, as I just realized it's a bit dumb not to give an example. It's the high energy of the piece that I'm hoping to find more of, as a lot of the Bebop station on Pandora, as well as the "exemplary" Bebop seems rather low energy.

Post-A Love Supreme John Coltrane may be up your alley.

Also the first few King Crimson albums.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 15, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Gamest Mook posted:

Is this a joke? I don't think you could have picked a more different style of jazz to the stuff in Cowboy Bebop than late-era Coltrane.

I didn't necessarily mean the more free atonal stuff, but Sun Ship and some others are comparable in terms of the energy he wants.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

WickedIcon posted:

Can anyone recommend me cheesy 80s metal with masturbatory solos and singers who sing in really heavily accented, generally not very comprehensible English?

Loudness (pre-Soldier of Fortune) and early Helloween (up to Keeper of the Seven Keys 2) are pretty good examples of what I'm looking for.

They're '90s, but Angra are otherwise pretty much exactly what you want.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Time Cowboy posted:

First, I want to expand my collection of classic and modern psychedelic rock and psychedelic folk. I'm familiar with Jefferson Airplane, early Moody Blues, Tame Impala, Devendra Banhart, etc. I know there are lots of big names and big albums I'm missing, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Bonus points for female vocalists.

Gong—everything they did from Camembert Electrique through You. Female vocalist Gilli Smythe rarely sings lead, normally contributing ethereal whispers and wails, but she and partner Daevid Allen were the heart and soul of this band, and you may also want to look into their respective solo careers.

The first two Nuggets compilations are an excellent overview of psychedelic and garage rock in America (the first one) and the rest of the world (the second one), and I highly recommend them.

Pearls Before Swine made some utterly gorgeous psychedelic folk, but Tom Rapp kind of sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles or badly-fitting braces, which I sometimes find very grating. This is most apparent on One Nation Underground.

13th Floors Elevators are pretty interesting, and have that distinctive "electric jug."

Silver Apples were one of the first bands to incorporate elements of electronic music into rock music, and sound at once definitively psychedelic rock and years ahead of their time.

Discussing krautrock would be a whole other post in itself, but in short late '60s-early '70s Germany is a goldmine for music on the more experimental side of psychedelic rock. I have to make special mention of Frumpy, because you wanted female vocalists, and Inga Rumpf may be one of my all-time favorite rock vocalists. Also check out ID Company, her project with Dagmar Krause (Slapp Happy, Henry Cow, Art Bears).

The Dukes of Stratosfear are XTC doing ridiculously good psychedelic pop pastiches and parodies. Even better when you're a connoisseur of the genre and can pick out all the various stylistic references to specific bands and songs.

Also really obvious, but I have to mention Pink Floyd as you didn't specifically mention them. Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets are absolutely essential psychedelic albums (critical opinion is pretty divided on Saucerful, but I consider it a criminally underrated album), as are Syd Barrett's solo albums, especially The Madcap Laughs.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 2, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Farecoal posted:

Does anyone know some good medieval/Renaissance era music? I'm looking for stuff that's lively. Stuff like the first song in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPkLhSVtPS4.

Check out some Baltimore Consort albums. I just have their "Best of" album, but that might be all you need.

Also they're a little obscure (their albums are hard to come by in the US, and they barely even have anything on YouTube) but if you can, look into the Finnish group Tarujen Saari. They do traditional European folk music of all sorts and have fantastic energy. I highly recommend their album Levoton Hauta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Also, '70s progressive rock/folk group Gryphon used Renaissance instruments like crumhorns and did a lot of excellent covers of Renaissance-era folk music. I highly recommend their first two albums (and their third, but then we're no longer talking about traditional music).

Farecoal posted:

I can't stop laughing at this, found it by browsing related videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkrzKbC9S9s

Its a Gregorian chant version of a certain song.

Ahaha. That song and New Age music are both guilty pleasures of mine, so I was afraid for a moment I might have had to admit to liking that.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 20, 2011