Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

cods posted:

I"m looking for something like a female singer(or singers), maybe with a piano or something along those lines, that sings something really beautiful, melodic, and sad.

Loosest example I can give is Imogen Heap - Hide and seek.

Anathema - A Natural Disaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf7yjIswZMQ

The keyboards are minimal but it's sung by a female, sad, beautiful, and very melodic, so you might like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

I would like to get into Bruce Springsteen. What is the one must have album from him that I should find first?

I don't know if it's that simple; for the most part, I've either seen people say "Darkness on the Edge of Town" is his best album, or "Born To Run", or "Born In The USA", or "Nebraska".

I'm going to tell you how I started to appreciate him and hope you can replicate my own experience; the first album of his I heard is "Born To Run" and it was the gateway that made me start to like him on a level beyond 'when he's on the radio I don't change the station'. "Nebraska" however was the second album of his that I heard, and it really gives him an artistic depth that actually made me appreciate him. What I'm saying is that for me, I started with those two.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

swampland posted:

Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.

Soap&Skin - Lovetune For Vacuum. I just heard it today and it might be exactly what you want.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
What is your favorite fun or summery-sounding reggae album? I'm looking for that, and if your first thought has to do with Bob Marley or 311 please don't recommend me anything.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

So if you're a reggae fan, and someone asks for some reggae and their first thought is the most popular reggae artist of all time, you don't want their recommendations?

Alright I guess.. I'll just wait for someone else as it appears I am not qualified.

It's just because I already know who the most popular and cliche reggae artists are, I'm just hoping for a recommendation from somebody that has a depth of knowledge I guess

edit - HAI are you reading this

edit 2 - I don't hate Bob Marley, it's just kinda cliche, ya know

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 4, 2009

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Listening to Death Of Autotune, I realized my library is lacking Jay Z. What's a good album by him? I already have Reasonable Doubt and a handful of his singles.

The Blueprint is the most important one for you to get if you already have Reasonable Doubt but after that get the Black Album and Volume 3.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

winvirus posted:

Can anyone recommend some good pianists with strong vocals? Or just anything that has a great piano tune and good singing too.

Well this one might be incredibly obvious but since I'm not sure if you want something newer or older or in what style, I'm going to recommend Regina Spektor because I've been listening to her a lot lately and I think she has a really good voice. Try her new album Far

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

5436 posted:

Both. I know a little of her stuff, but just getting into it.

Get Soviet Kitsch first. If you like that, get Songs and Far.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
This is probably going to sound really, really broad but I'm interested in asking this: if I say I wanted to hear more songs with similar characteristics to Elliott Smith's "I Didn't Understand", what songs come to mind? I'm not just asking for your favorite a capella music, mind you, but it can be. Preferably something as depressing

edit - the more words I write, the more stupid my request sounds? sorry

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 9, 2009

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Stagger_Lee posted:

reaching, but, Mirah - "Cold, Cold Water", Belle & Sebastian - "The Boy Done Wrong Again, the Smiths - "London"

edit: big star - "thirteen", discography of Nick Drake

While I sincerely appreciate you wanting to help, I'm already familiar with all of those songs...well, kind of - I have Nick Drake's discography but I've never actually listened to any of it. Maybe your comment will inspire me to listen to one of his albums finally!

Elliott Smith did a good cover of "Thirteen" but you probably already knew that

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

The Dentist posted:

I just listened every Radiohead cd in chronological order. I've been a fan since OK Computer. I know that it's probably the most common and laughable occurrence for someone to ask for music that "sounds like Radiohead" when their influence on today's music is so huge. What I'm looking for, mostly out of desperation, is something that will blow my mind the way they did/do. I don't want to be that guy who listens to Radiohead all day. Because, right now, I AM that guy. I'm sorry. I know there's more out there.

The trouble is, when I peruse Pitchfork etc, it seems that I have to put in so much effort to "like" these bands. Sometimes I wonder if I even like them. I don't think you should have to try so hard for music to overwhelm you with how awesome it is.

Some other bands that have really blown my mind in similar fashion, are also the typical: Sigur Ros. Wilco. Arcade Fire. Mewithoutyou. I also like Pedro the Lion/David Bazan, Band of Horses, Deerhoof, Bright Eyes, Cake, Muse, Metric/Emily Haines.

I need to expand, and my feeling is that there are those of you out there who get my vibe and where I'm coming from musically, and have perhaps expanded a bit more than I have and can point me in the right direction with something that will Radiohead me.

I like this post and your attitude, and I've been in similar territory not too long ago, so I'll do the best I can to help. I have to run soon so could I just look for you on AIM (inweaknessbe right?) later? I'll have plenty to send and talk to you about. I certainly won't be able to tell you about everything though, so I hope other people after me make some good rec's

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 31, 2009

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

sewermancer posted:

I'm sorry to repeat but I didn't get an answer last time I asked - I'm looking for stuff similar to Made out of Babies - violent, aggressive stuff with a female vocalist.

Going by the criteria of aggressive and female vocalist: KASMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8mkjHyEUdE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOWV05d_yhY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6O_HbH2Tss

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Reich Joyce posted:

I need a song for a slideshow I'm doing for a non profit corp event (showing our bank sponsors that we're not wasting their money) , we work with homeless and people having foreclosure troubles . Need something uplifting that will remind people what we're doing here. I need to hit the right note, uplifting but not depressing. I was thinking about Sigur ros because I've heard some of their stuff and thought it might fit this purpose. Can someone give me some recommendations?

I don't know why but this is the first band that I thought of.

Go here: http://www.myspace.com/moonlitsailor

and click on the song called "Night Stroll". If that doesn't work for you, try "Once We Were Children".

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

btu posted:

I am looking for songs that are, dare I say free-spirited. Eg: Free bird, Ruby tuesday. Can anyone make any suggestions please?

Uh, I have no idea what you're asking for. Can you be more specific?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

WayneCampbell posted:

I'm looking for depressing folk music. Like Town van zandt and that song "Waiting round to die" or Ralph stanely's "man of constant sorrow".

It's not "all" depressing but I think Tallest Man On Earth's debut album would hit a few of those sweet spots (like "Where Do My Bluebird Fly" and "I Won't Be Found")

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

Country music and electronica. Has anyone ever combined them? And I don't just mean electronica that samples country music. I have the word "glitch-tonk" stuck in my head and I need to know if it exists or not.

Hahah well it's not "glitch-tonk" but this is the closest thing I could think of:

Brad Paisley - Welcome To The Future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwKht1_SyXU

The choruses have electronic flourishes and so does the part from 4:54 until the end of the song. Listen to the latter thing I mentioned especially. It's loving horrible. It's not really exactly what you're looking for but I think you're asking for something that barely exists anywhere and I did my best

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

RettroShocka posted:

Rage Against The Machine.

Anything else with their message and funky beats/riffs?

While their message (if any) is usually ambiguous, Clutch have a lot of funky/bluesy beats and riffs in a similar fashion.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Alright this is going to sound funny but when you think of a sexy slow dance song, what do you guys think of?

IT'S FOR A PROJECT

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 27, 2009

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

mexicanmonkey posted:

I've just started getting into energetic folkish music and I wanna know more bands that sound like this:

Akron/Family - Everyone is Guilty
http://www.myspace.com/akronfamily
All of their other songs bore the hell outta me but I love that one.

The Dodos
http://www.myspace.com/thedodos
Jodi is my favorite out of the songs on their page but Red and Purple and Fools are also pretty good.

I've been looking through last.fm recommendations and a lot of them are slow and borin and puttin me to sleep so hopefully one of you guys can recommend me something thanks!

Have the last.fm recommendations given you Fairport Convention yet? Try them

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

shpladoinkle posted:

Could I get a helping of melodic dance/pop electronica like Passion Pit? They're my intro into the genre and I'm really diggin it. Much thanks.

It's not exactly LIKE Passion Pit but I think that Royksopp would be something you'd like too

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Corte posted:

So I know a site like last.fm can show me related bands but what if I am looking for a specific type of song. Artists and bands generally try to vary at least a little in their song content(unless you're Nickelback). It is has to describe what type of song I'm even looking for. I've been on an indy female vocalist kick of late with Kate Nash, Joanna Newsom, and Regina Spektor but more specific than that the bittersweet feeling some indy songs can illicit. Blame 500 Days of Summer as Wolfmother - Vagabond has been getting a lot of playtime too.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also choose a tag for a song or an artist and then listen to a last.fm radio of that tag (ie. "bittersweet" radio or whatever)

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Popcorn posted:

I am currently enjoying throwback upbeat 50s stuff with sweet female vocals, eg Gigi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLYrWQEMaYc), God Help the Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqrmQwhBPtE). What is this stuff aping that I should be listening to? Also, any other contemporary acts like it?

Things you might like: Lucky Soul, Electric Blue, The Pipettes.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Chinaski posted:

I don't know if this will make sense because I don't have any examples but I like songs that build and build and build on a riff you'd expect to suddenly break into something else but never does. They just keep building up to nothing.

Sort of like what Lightning Bolt does from time to time but I'm not necessarily looking for something aggressive. It can be any type of music.

Any thoughts?

There's a good chance you may already know it, but I immediately thought of Of Montreal's "The Past Is A Grotesque Animal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2p9fDJsHNo

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Octorok posted:

To elaborate, I'm pretty much looking for interesting instrumental music be it classical, post-rock, ambient, or ideally some avante-garde stuff that a mainstream musician made and never got any love.

The Tumbled Sea. Look up 'melody/summer' and 'songs by the tumbled sea'

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

wisconsin posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Star loving Hipsters lately, and was looking for some punk bands with a female lead singer. They seem to be few and far between. Hook a brother up?

Bikini Kill (you probably know that but I had to include them), P.S. Eliot, Screaming Females, Lemuria, Le Tigre (to an extent)

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

wisconsin posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Star loving Hipsters lately, and was looking for some punk bands with a female lead singer. They seem to be few and far between. Hook a brother up?

As an addendum to my previous post, here are more: The Measure (SA), Good Luck, The Unlovables, Little Lungs, Cheeky, Discount, Full Of Fancy, The Gateway District, The Two Funerals

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 22, 2010

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Crono S. Magnum posted:

What I'm looking for are albums or groups that are more "story" based

Are you talking about concept albums, concept bands, or something else? I'm a little confused

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Ungratek posted:

I just listened to Sleigh Bells -- Treats and really dug that. Can anyone point me in the direction of similar stuff?

You will probably have some difficulty finding something that sounds exactly like Sleigh Bells so here are a couple of groups off the top of my head that are less "this sounds like Sleigh Bells" and more "if you like X, then you might like Y":

-Duchess Says
-Atari Teenage Riot
-Le Tigre

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Anything with beautiful French singing would be highly appreciated.

I just find something really sexy about not knowing what the gently caress they're singing about.

Françoise Hardy, try "Comment Te Dire Adieu" which is my favorite or "La Question"

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd like to add some modern classical music to my playlists. I've listened to all the old masters and like especially Bach, Sibelius, Musorgski and Elgar. I don't like most of Wagner, Mozart leaves me "meh" and Rome-styled music is not for me.

Please don't recommend Philip Glass or any soundtracks from movies.

What should I try?

I'm not someone who "knows their poo poo", I'm just recommending one of the relatively few things in the last year or two that I've listened to with classical stylings, but try Luigi Rubino - A Theme For The Moon. I love it

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Kikka posted:

Hey there, I'm a dumb babby and I need help at getting into music.

I have never owned a full album or cd of music in my life. I would really love to have something to listen to; Problem is I have no idea what albums to get or what bands to listen to.

I like classical music, and music with a nice bassline or something. I think Barkley's "Crazy" is a pretty nice song, so maybe something more like that.

No this is not a troll, I am seriously helpless in my music tastes. Please help goons!

Honestly if I were you I would just spend a decent amount of time Googling 'best album' lists of certain decades or of all time. I'm not saying this because canon albums or albums that lots of people think are great are always the best, but they can give you a background to work outward from.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Heys knowledgeable music goons! I've been wondering what everyone here can recommend for driving music, and what everyone listens to when they're driving.

I'm really open to anything but I am looking for some bands or songs with more upbeat styles that's fun and fast, like the feeling of an open road you speed along.

Sorry if this is a little vague, but hey, you never know! Thanks in advance :)

Look into Kyuss then, cause if Kyuss isn't good driving (rock) music, I don't know what is. I know you didn't specifically say 'rock music' but there you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF73WRgNGuk

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm looking for more songs like this and this - I guess relaxing, slightly cheery post-rock, not too dramatic, with or without vocals. Does this make sense?

Moonlit Sailor is the first thing that came to my mind, other than what has already been said.

For the record I did not listen to the songs that you linked to, this is just going off of your description of what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
If I really like Unwound's Leaves Turn Inside You album, what else might I be into?