Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

Nos sale a saludar la gente linda..

Skilleddk posted:

I've recently listened to Björk, and was instantly hooked. Looking for more similar stuff, even though I know she's a very unique artist. Last.fm search didn't give much, I mean, Portishead and PJ Harvey are not similar at all.

Favorite album by her is Post if that helps, and favorite songs are Hyper-Ballad and Enjoy

You should try Mammut. It is a fellow Icelandic band with a female lead singer who is pretty spot-on for a Bjork sound. The music is definitely more straight forward rock, but it just might hit the spot for you.
http://www.myspace.com/mammut
Also you can get their stuff on itunes!

There is a large variety of Icelandic music that has the same weird, experimental sounds of Bjork, most of which you can find on the top friend's list from this record label:
http://www.myspace.com/12tonar

I highly recommend spending some time going through those bands to all Bjork fans. I'm the biggest Icelandic music freak (beyond just Bjork and Sigur Ros) so if you like any of the music from those sites and want any "deeper cut" recommendations on the scene I'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

charismaslover posted:

Looking for some technical instrumental bands like Liquid Tension Experiment and some tech death in the same vain as Psycroptic, Beneath The Massacre etc.

Any recommendations are welcome,

Cheers.

Nevermind. Just saw the title of the metal thread, nothing to see here.

bonnemenagere fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 21, 2009

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

SylvainMustach posted:

I've always been a huge fan of 'slowcore' bands like Low and Codeine. I've been pointed towards Red House Painters, Bedhead and Idaho. Does anyone have any other good bands that I should look up. More specifically, I'd like to find something along the lines of Low's records Trust (with the almost Late-Earth like guitars) and/or Secret Name.

Wow, another Low and Codeine fan! Man, those are two of my favorite bands, but honestly I have never found anything that holds a loving candle to Frigid Stars but I've found a few that come close.

Xiu Xiu's Fag Patrol album is amazing and about as slowcore as it gets. Their other stuff is way more confrontational, but this album is absolutely haunting. Jamie Stewart, the lead singer, had just gone through his father's suicide and was apparently drinking so much to the point he barely remembers recording the album. Heavy stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKkpL1VaFU

Grouper Dragging a Dead Deer up a Hill: This is extremely reverbed out, slow and thick. You can't hear anything she says but the density of it is amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkANP6xnVgs

Smog: You've probably heard of this dude, but he is basically known for carrying the lone torch of slowcore onwards and upwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_I_yf2mS0

Rachel's: Systems/Layers: Absolutely amazing. Its mostly just orchestral stuff, but there's this one song on that album called "Last Things Last," which to me is an ultimate fence post in the slowcore genre. I would post the song here but since its not on youtube I think it may violate the rules of the forum. If you google it though, there are plenty of blogs that link you right to the song.

Hope that helped a bit. Red House Painters is an absolute must, by the way. Down Colorful Hill is a classic.

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

SylvainMustach posted:

Oh and, if that's the prime minister of the ukraine, nice avatar.
It is indeed, Yulia Tymoshenko is the poo poo.

SylvainMustach posted:

Which Smog album should I Start with?

My personal favorite is "A River 'Aint Too Much To Love," but that album veers more towards alt country. It's probably his most accessible album, but if you're looking for his more down-tempo stuff I think "The Doctor Came At Dawn" Should warm you up nicely to his sound.

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

Lately I've been really jonesing out on lyric-centered, contemporary folk/rock 'ala Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, The Mountain Goats, and The Good Life. I don't usually go for the acoustic-dude-on-guitar bit, but inexplicably as of late I just want some storytelling, simple songs with a stark effect. The ideal point of reference for this is probably The Magnetic Fields - Charm of the Highway Strip. If you haven't heard it, it was Stephen Merrit's attempt at a "country" album and I think its absolutely haunting. I want something without too much of a "full band sound." Any ideas?

Oh and not Ryan Adams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

sixteenstraws posted:

You might like Will Oldham. Try Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness, Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Master & Everyone and Palace Brothers - There Is No One What Will Take Care of You.

Man, thanks so much. I've been hearing of Will Oldham for years now but I never got around to getting any of his stuff. This was exactly what I was looking for.

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm in Austin now and every damned band in the world comes through here during the year. I'm looking for fun, upbeat bands that play with a ton of energy and have an indie rock bent- think Matt and Kim. Thanks so much guys.

Giving up on your Biodome soundtrack? Heh. Well since I know you IRL I think I can give you some suggestions where as I'm sure for most people your request will be way too broad. If you like Matt and Kim you would probably dig Black Kids, Les Savy Fav, The Organ, Architecture in Helsinki, or Metric Also I think you'd love Ween-Chocolate & Cheese.