Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden

Skilleddk posted:

I've recently listened to Björk, and was instantly hooked. Looking for more similar stuff, even though I know she's a very unique artist. Last.fm search didn't give much, I mean, Portishead and PJ Harvey are not similar at all.

Favorite album by her is Post if that helps, and favorite songs are Hyper-Ballad and Enjoy

Not exactly analogous but Goldfrapp has some similarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden

Save Russian Jews posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations when it comes to modern (or classic) Jazz. I'm a complete Jazz virgin, I have no clue about anything past a vague assumption of what it should sound like. I'm more interested in a more mellow, laid-back kind of sound.

I realize I've been very vague, but considering the fact that I know drat-near-nothing about Jazz, setting me up with any artists I've never heard of shouldn't be difficult.

Start with Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, then just check out more stuff by him and the rest of the band mates (John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, etc)

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
What are some other bands like Broadcast and Stereolab? 60s pop/psychedelia meets 90s/2000s?

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
I need help getting into soul. What are the most important albums or are there any good compilations?

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
I want to hear some good Mexican music. All I know is norteño and mariachi or Esquivel. Are there any cool Mexican bands that are like Os Mutantes or something?