Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Shangalang posted:

Can anyone tell me where to start with Nick Cave?

I'd track down the album 'Live Seeds'. The Bad Seeds are an amazing live band and that album contains some of his best songs.

Korbal posted:

My favorite bands right now are Modest Mouse (their old stuff in particular, but I still really like their new stuff) and Wolf Parade. I love the guitar and bass work in Modest Mouse and I'm looking for something similar. I also really like the vocal delivery of both of these bands. Any recommendations?

Try Built To Spill. It's like Modest Mouse style guitar work filtered through Neil Young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

What is the best Okkervil River album? I want to pick one up today but id dont know which one to get.

I'd go for either Black Sheep Boy or The Stage Names, with BSB being a bit more indie than TSN. All of their albums are fantastic (particularly the newest one, The Stand Ins) but these two are the most consistently awesome of the lot.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

I recently purchased the Smithsonian Classic African American Gospel album and am particularly enamored of the recordings of church choirs rather than the more blues-y or soul tracks.

Has anyone got any recommendations on where to get more church recordings of gospel and spiritual music?

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Can anyone recommend me anything like Yamatsuka Eye's Lift Boys project? It's fun, tribal house music on acid.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

19charactersorless. posted:

Can anyone recommend me anything like Yamatsuka Eye's Lift Boys project? It's fun, tribal house music on acid.

anyone?
here's a sample for reference: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_dmusic/?tag=thehypmac-20&url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=Anarchy+Way+The+Lift+Boys

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Can any one recommend me any happy space disco in the style of Lindstrøm?

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Cyne posted:

You need to get some Daniel Wang in your life my friend. Start with the I Was a Disco Malcontent compilation first, then the Idealism album, then everything else that was only released on vinyl. Everything this guy touches is classic.

You, my friend, are the reason why this thread exists! Any other recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

breaks posted:

By the way, does anyone have some recommendations for hosed up, quirky, or otherwise reasonably weird "pop" music. Examples include Camille, Tujiko Noriko, Bjork of course, Dani Siciliano, some Anja Garbarek stuff, Susanna and the Magical Orchestra... Electronics aren't strictly necessary but I guess all of these have an electronic sound.

You probably know this already but Robert Wyatt and Ryuichi Sakamoto are amazing. Scott Walker's later stuff and Mark Hollis could be appropriate too.