Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
PUP's latest album Morbid Stuff was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Turntable/vintage audio equipment thread is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

And the record thread is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417644

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I just discovered DJ Rozwell and NONE OF THIS IS REAL plus the various expansion packs and I completely love the "fantasy audio hip-hop roguelike tape" concept. What are some other albums (albums?) that experiment with form?

edit: I already know of Zaireeka and Dronevil.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 9, 2020

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
In the past 2 weeks I've worked my way through literally everything I could find from The Necks and I still want more. Where do I go from here if I want more hypnotic, minimalist, very long form avant-garde jazz?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

alnilam posted:

Post rock post

So there's stuff like Godspeed, which is kind of... doomy?

And then there's Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Sigur Ros, maybe Mogwai, who have a sound/mood that is more... melancholic but kinda in a beautiful or hopeful way?

Anyone i should check out who is more in the latter camp? (As much as I love Godpseed)

Definitely Talk Talk's last two albums, Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden.

edit: Also Yndi Halda (Enjoy Eternal Bliss) for a more modern pick.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 25, 2020

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Hooplah posted:

lol, that album's 15 years old :corsair:

I guess I meant relative to Talk Talk's post-rock albums being 29 and 32 years old.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I'm doing my yearly search for new music.

I have listened to every Stars of the Lid and Boards of Canada track 10,000 times. Tracks like Stars of the Lid's "Requiem for Dying Mothers pt. 2" and Boards of Canada's "Tears from the Compound Eye" are favorites.

If you're into Stars of the Lid you should definitely check out Natural Snow Buildings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGlcxjKfU8A

And if you dig it good news, they have a ton of albums and some of them are over 6 hours long so you'll be busy for a while.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Unsilent Death by Nails

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Definitely early Mastodon. Cult of Luna and Kylesa are pretty similar, maybe Baroness' first two albums and early EPs, maybe Dirge and Dead to a Dying World for something a bit slower.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

NotNut posted:

Can anyone recommend good songs about despair, suicide or going to hell that are also angry or braggadocious? Any genre

u by Kendrick Lamar

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Just recently broke down and listened to Bongripper so I can also back that up.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Blue Labrador posted:

I just spent a bit geeking out with a friend about how much we love Metallica's Call of Ktulu, and I was wondering if any of y'all would be willing to share any instrumental (or heavily instrumental) songs y'all like that have a similar sense of gloom and foreboding.

Genre isn't super important to me, but I'm currently obsessing with how much that song captures such a specific, evil, maybe even tragic vibe.

I think Isis would be right up your alley. And the entire genre of post-metal for that matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlgARu0l1zI

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Beffica posted:

After reflecting on that:
  • I am looking for more challenging art to consume in general. Doesn't have to be music, but if it is challenging music, I don't want it to be a bland brick wall like Merzbow's Pulse Demon.
  • Looking for more fun sample heavy stuff that will leave an impact

You might like Soundtracks for the Blind by Swans. Or if that's not dark and disorienting enough, The Body Lovers/The Body Haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
The Necks' entire catalog for keys/bass/drums/sometimes guitar minimalist jazz. Hanging Gardens is both great musically and one of the best sounding albums I can think of.