Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

So my taste in music has been expanding in the last few months and I was hoping to get some direction from you guys. I recently found the band Pinback and instantly fell in love (thanks to someone in the last rec thread). I've also been listening to Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You, recent Deerhoof albums, Have A Nice Life, and anything Team Sleep has done (which unfortunately is a short list). Basically, I'm looking for anything that has a similar sound/aesthetic/whatever you can think of that relates these bands to each other, or perhaps that branch out further into that(those) genre(s).

As an aside, my interests have mostly contained the genres:
post-hardcore (Fall of Troy, Finch, Sound of Animals Fighting, Bear Vs. Shark, Rx Bandits, mewithoutYou)
math rock (Don Caballero, Tera Melos, anything Zach Hill related)
post-rock or metal (Russian Circles, Yndi Halda, Mogwai, Samuel Jackson Five, Pax Cecilia)
and other stuff I don't really classify like Deftones, Thrice, Coheed & Cambria, Edison Glass, 65daysofstatic

I feel like I'm leaning more and more towards shoegaze but I've tried listening to the classic recommendations from the last thread for the genre (or trip-hop I guess) like MBV, Slowdive, Morcheeba, etc. but they don't really do much for me. Should I just try to dive into this stuff head-on and listen to it until I "get" it, or am I completely off the mark with the bands I listed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Try Dredg, Mutemath, Dance Gavin Dance and if you like Coheed, try Claduio's side project "Prize Fighter Inferno"

I already listen to Dredg and PFI, actually. The other two bands weren't quite what I was looking for, but I'm really surprised I've never heard of Dance Gavin Dance because they're pretty drat good. Thanks a bunch for them :)

So basically my request still stands, if anyone else is interested in helping me out it'd be great.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Someone care to recommend me some bands based on these?

mewithoutyou
Mutemath
Dredg
Glassjaw
Lostprophets
Finch
Thrice

Give La Dispute a listen. Quite a bit like mewithoutyou but maybe a bit harder. Vega and Altair is a very powerful album.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Taxxorrak posted:

Hi guys.

I've recently been listening to alot of Meshuggah, and free jazz. I've heard some bands that combine this pretty well. Basically, I want the hardness of metal with the free improvisational nature of jazz. It can gladly be similar to noise with some structure, avant garde etc. It has to be good, though. That's abit stupid to say, but it really has to be great.

Any recommendations? I'd love to hear some! :)

Definitely check out Ephel Duath. Not so much their latest album Through My Dog's Eyes (i dunno, the singer sounds weird and it's not jazzy enough), but their other albums are pretty much what you're after I think.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9wwlzuwJE
the song doesn't really start until like 30 seconds in

e: oh and I started with Pain Necessary To Know and I'd recommend starting there

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Bean_ posted:

I'm looking for some more stuff along the lines of
Circa Surive

I'm already a fan of Saosin, and dig Anberlin's "New Surrender" as well as Coheed and Cambria's debut album (jury is still out on this). I've also heard a few things from Choidos and Sounds of Animals Fighting, both of which have been hit/miss with what I've heard.

Thanks.

You should try Edison Glass. They're kinda like a combination of Circa Survive and As Tall As Lions. Also, I know they don't really sound alike but it seems most people who like Circa Survive also like Thrice. I'd recommend their latest couple releases to start.

Try these too:
Rx Bandits - ...And the Battle Begun
Dredg (I don't really dig 'em but I can see why many people do)
Minus the Bear - Highly Refined Pirates
Portugal. The Man

I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's a decent start.
e: I missed the 'don't' about Thrice. Oops.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 22, 2009

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Twisted Aristocrat posted:

Any recommendations for someone who enjoys these two Lightning bolt songs in particular?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ2ni-bYL_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7fVK1mA2zg

Perhaps you could try Zu? (I'm really not sure what to call these guys... noise rock? Jazz? whatever)

Here's a studio version of one their tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qi5xUQLJ2U&feature=related
and this is a live song from the same album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0FKoyUwjxM&feature=related

oh hey try melt banana too

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Dentist posted:

I just listened every Radiohead cd in chronological order. I've been a fan since OK Computer. I know that it's probably the most common and laughable occurrence for someone to ask for music that "sounds like Radiohead" when their influence on today's music is so huge. What I'm looking for, mostly out of desperation, is something that will blow my mind the way they did/do. I don't want to be that guy who listens to Radiohead all day. Because, right now, I AM that guy. I'm sorry. I know there's more out there.

The trouble is, when I peruse Pitchfork etc, it seems that I have to put in so much effort to "like" these bands. Sometimes I wonder if I even like them. I don't think you should have to try so hard for music to overwhelm you with how awesome it is.

Some other bands that have really blown my mind in similar fashion, are also the typical: Sigur Ros. Wilco. Arcade Fire. Mewithoutyou. I also like Pedro the Lion/David Bazan, Band of Horses, Deerhoof, Bright Eyes, Cake, Muse, Metric/Emily Haines.

I need to expand, and my feeling is that there are those of you out there who get my vibe and where I'm coming from musically, and have perhaps expanded a bit more than I have and can point me in the right direction with something that will Radiohead me.

I'll definitely echo the guy that said Cursive. Listen to their first couple albums. Also listen to Friend and Foe by Menomena. Perhaps you should give The Mars Volta a listen if you haven't already? In addition here's a few more: UUVVWWZZ S/T (don't let the dumb band name throw you off; they're loving awesome and remind me a bit of Deerhoof), Pinback, and Tub Ring - hugely influenced by Mike Patton's work and they do some pretty good stuff.

Is this a decent recommendation or am I completely off?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

global tetrahedron posted:

Check out Medications, not quite as mathy as the bands you listed but more in the Dischord-y post-hardcore vein, I would put them closest to Q and not U or harder Dismemberment Plan and I can't see someone who likes what you like not liking these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSGjBqyRvKk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdIlFDiRv6w

Actually, Medications is made up of a couple members of Faraquet, so it's funny you'd throw it on that list while (I'm assuming) not knowing that. Nice job :)

Yeah and I'll second that they're pretty awesome. Just listened to All Your Favorite People yesterday, actually.

d0grent posted:

Dear Recommendation Thread,

What is the best mathrock/mathcore?

Here are bands I already know:
Don Caballero
Battles
Protest the Hero
The Fall of Troy
DD/MM/YYYY
So Many Dynamos
Dillinger Escape Plan
The Human Abstract
Giraffes? Giraffes!
Marnie Stern
Cinemechanica
Clues
Hella
These Arms Are Snakes
Tera Melos
Faraquet
iwrestledabearonce
Lite
Maps and Atlases
Sikth
The Cancer Conspiracy

Really anything that is heavily centered on obscure rhythm I will enjoy.

I may make a thread at some point once I feel like I've become more knowledgeable about these genres cause right now I loving love just about everything in it.

This is like the majority of what I've been listening to for the past few years, so I think I can help you out with a few bands:

Ahleuchatistas
Bear vs. Shark
bygones (this is actually a collab of the Tera Melos guitarist and Zach Hill)
By The End of Tonight (did a split cd with Tera Melos so maybe you've heard of them)
Circle Takes the Square (more on the emo/hardcore side of things, but they show some promise)
Holy Smokes (another Zach Hill collab)
La Dispute
Minus The Bear
Rx Bandits (they're more post-hardcore or ska-whatever but I love them)
Team Sleep (they might not seem to fit on this list but Chino Moreno + Zach Hill + Rob Crow is amazing)
The Ladies (Jesus Christ another Zach Hill project - this time with just Rob Crow of Pinback)
The Number 12 Looks Like You
The Sound of Animals Fighting (just the first cd fits here though)
This Town Needs Guns
Zach Hill's solo project

Thats's about all I have that I think you'd be interested in. I might have other stuff but if I do it's not in my music folder.

Also, someone else post some more stuff. I need more post-hardore and math rock. Someone should really make a new thread.

Grimfate posted:

Ok, I've been looking for something similar to diablo's tristram and dungeon music for a while. I couldn't even tell you what genre those songs are in (dark Spanishy guitar?), so I'm a loss as to go about finding some similar songs.

God drat someone answer him. I love the Diablo 1 soundtrack.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 2, 2010

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

coolbian57 posted:

Alright so lately I have been getting into more post-rock sounding stuff like Yndi Halda, Pelican, stuff like that. I have no idea where to start with this genre, I know about all the big names like EiTS, Mono, Godspeed You, stuff like that. But I was wondering how I should start to delve deeper into this genre and find new stuff?

Definitely check out The Samuel Jackson Five straightaway. I dunno if they've been mentioned recently in the megathread, but they're seriously a really awesome band.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Okay, I have a request, but I'm not sure I can put any genre labels on it- I'm more looking for a certain sound or feel. I guess the best description would be a moody/dark acoustic (doesn't need to be acoustic necessarily)guitar sound that may or may not include electronic stuff like synths or whatever. I suppose here's some songs that have what I'm looking for:

Matt Uelmen's ST stuff for diablo 1 and 2
Tristram
Rogue
Not really the songs from the other acts of d2 though.

Comus - First Utterance (thanks to whomever it was that posted Comus sometime last year- love them :))
Drip Drip
The Herald mostly the guitar stuff in the first half of this link, but good song overall- very moody and post-rock-esque.

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Spinning Cotton Candy... The intro is really what I'm looking for. BMSR as a whole has some pretty good stuff but I guess I want it to be less like Ratatat and more "folky" (whatever)

Prize Fighter Inferno
Our Darling Daughter You Are, Little Cecilia Marie
Wayne Andrews, The Old Beekeeper

Team Sleep is a good example too and I suppose they don't have much acoustic guitar going on so go ahead and post something even if it doesn't have any of that.

Ulver's acoustic stuff is borderline what I want but there's something about it that drives me away. It's a similar thing I have with The Human Abstract (they have some acoustic interludes and such). It just seems very neckbeardy or something. I dunno.

Having said that, I also really enjoy the guitar stuff from the game Dwarf Fortress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FXeupOp04
Yeah I know I said I don't want "neckbeardy" then posted loving Diablo and Dwarf Fortress music.

Rodrigo y Gabriela are pretty good, but I guess it gets kinda repetitive and it's too much Spanish guitar - doesn't really fit the mood.

Sixteen Horsepower is cool, but it's too country or bluegrass or something for me.

I currently am very familiar with post rock in general, so don't bother posting the big names, but I haven't really found much within that genre with the right sound so if you have post it and tell me I'm dumb. I don't really know much about classical guitar so I don't know if that's what I'm looking for, but I've never really been into classical compositions in general so I'd probably be more interested in "rock band" format rather than orchestra or old man sitting in a chair performing some piece from 200 years ago for an audience of old snooty rich people(but seriously, if I sound close-minded, it's out of ignorance so go ahead and school me on it if you think it's what I need) .

I hope that wasn't too much rambling. Go nuts.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 3, 2010

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

ceebee posted:

Any suggestions for stuff similar to Circa Survive and Coheed & Cambria? Maybe with like electronic/synthy stuff included?

I don't really think these two band have a TON in common with each other, other than kinda being in a similar "scene" so I'll just name off some bands I listened to a lot when I was into these guys:

Thrice
Edison Glass
Rx Bandits
The Mars Volta
Brand New
Chiodos
The Sound of Animals Fighting
This Town Needs Guns

If you like/dislike any of these let me know and maybe I can come up with something closer to what you're looking for.

Oh I dunno... They remind me a bit of Sixteen Horsepower. I know they don't always have a really consistent sound, but I listened to a few songs of theirs and I guess it's just not doing anything for me.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Psychedelius posted:

Over the past year I really got into 70's psychedelia and the modern bands that are influenced by it, but I feel that I'm still missing out on some great stuff.
I really like blues influences and the occasional riff (huge fan of desert/stoner/doom stuff) and currently I'm into bands like:
Tame Impala
Sleepy Sun
Earthless
Quest For Fire
Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound

Out of those mentioned I absolutely adore Tame Impala's debut album and Sleepy Sun's Fever is incredible. And Earthless is just amazing in every way possible.

In short, I'm looking for bands similar to the above. No matter what decade.

Hey I mostly just want to thank you for introducing me to Tame Impala, but I guess you could look into Bark Psychosis if you haven't already (you probably have :( )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XluhkMtXuFI

Quite a bit lighter than sludge or doom, but very psych. The songs generally crescendo to a lot noisier stuff towards the end, so don't write it off immediately.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Giudecca posted:

What kind of music is this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxkJ-cJxqdM

Who else should I listen to?

Not gonna attempt a genre label on that, but give Maps and Atlases a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP7lenDpZ00

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

snucks posted:

anyone got bands that sound like
Deerhoof?

Good loving luck. These guys are like my favorite band, but I've never found anyone quite like them. So I guess I'll second this request :)

on second thought, I suppose 31knots and UUVVWWZ are the closest bands I can think of to (newer) Deerhoof but really they're not THAT much alike.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Emron posted:

I'm a hopeless fan of Black Moth Super Rainbow, Tobacco, Ratatat, The Glitch Mob, and RJD2, and I can't really find anything similar to expand my library of that sort of sound. I'm more of a fan of the early Ratatat stuff (pre-LP3). Can someone recommend me something similar to that sound?

edit: And if it helps, I'm not a big fan of any dubstep that I've heard.

I don't listen to Glitch Mob or RJD2 but I really like BMSR and I also like Bark Psychosis and vaguely think they're kinda similar so try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XluhkMtXuFI

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

thehoodie posted:

Can anyone recommend me something similar to Aereogramme and Explosions in the Sky? I'm really digging their stuff as of late.

Read the post rock thread. EITS are like the posterboy of that genre.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

People who like those bands generally like Toe, Te, and Mono.

Add to that the slightly lesser known band Mouse on the Keys, perhaps?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Amazon Review posted:

Rollersnake posted:

Art Bears (especially The World as It Is Today), Camberwell Now, The Comsat Angels, Eyeless in Gaza

Edit: added youtube links
All four of these youtubes were exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

If you like Art Bears check out Henry Cow and the rest of the Rock in Opposition artists.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

caiman posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for bands that feature very technical and interesting instrumentation. Something along the lines of Meshuggah, where the focus is on the technicality and creativity. Intense drum/guitar solos, alternating time signatures, etc. Stuff that sounds great and makes you think "drat, how do they do that?" Dragonforce is another one that fits this, though they tend to be pretty repetitive from song to song.

And it doesn't necessarily have to be metal, though that tends to be the genre that fits this description. Layered, interesting electronic music also appeals to me.

I'm not sure you'll actually want to listen to these guys for anything outside of a gimmick, but Behold... The Arctopus are on the extreme end of technicality to the point where it's kinda annoying. They also seem like tremendous neckbeards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FngfnSHM0Is

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

Cross-posting from the stoner rock thread:
Hey all, I've listened to Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss for years (and the Desert Sessions) and just recently have been binging on everything John Garcia has done and I'd like some recommendations for similar stuff. I just listened to Sleep's Holy Mountain for the first time (holy poo poo) and I like it a lot but it's more slow and doomy than I'd like at the moment. I like the spacey desert blues sound of songs like Space Cadet and the overall feel of Welcome to Sky Valley. I'd love to hear any bands/albums that are just as awesome. Thanks. :D

This is maybe a half-hearted recommendation because I'm mainly posting these guys to get recommendations myself, but maybe try Young Widows? I really just loved both of their two most recent albums and want to hear more. Specifically, their guitar tone is loving incredible.

Future Hearts - off the album In And Out Of Youth And Lightness
Old Skin - from Old Wounds
The second vid is much louder and starts suddenly, beware.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Another example of what I'm talking about is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnwfTHpnGLY&ob=av2e
Up till about 4:10.

I guess dubstep is fairly broad definition?

You're only getting more confusing. I don't know poo poo about dubstep or dub but I can definitely tell you the first part of that song is neither. That's a female vocalist accompanied by piano with a light electronic beat. It's called "pop," I believe.

Are you just trolling?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

HateTheInternet posted:

Are there any good post-rock or mathrock bands out there with heavy emphasis on string instruments or mallet percussion? Orchestral instruments, I guess, as opposed to rock instruments.

Yndi Halda and Beast, Please Be Still are two post-rock bands that are very orchestral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VuJBCscmZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM6isT7RXnY

The albums those songs are on are the only ones I can vouch for for either band, keep in mind.

As far as mathrock goes, it's a bit harder. I suppose the band Loom counts, but I find their use of violins to be a bit contrived; like Yellowcard something.

E: whoa I guess Loom put out some stuff other than the one album I have (Angler), so I guess I'll look into that further :)

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 30, 2011

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Does there exist any bands that sound like Mew? I've been looking for a while, but they don't really fit into a genre and no one else I've heard sound even remotely like them.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Recommend me something that sounds like any of these:
My Dead Girlfriend
125, Rue Montmartre
True Widow
Tropic of Cancer

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

^^^he asks for jazz and you recommend..... King Crimson? :whoptc:

Tre Past Cool! posted:

For True Widow Jesu's first album comes to mind but you might want to ask in the shoegaze thread. Nothing comes immediately to mind for My Dead Girlfriend but thanks for posting it, it's really good.

funkybottoms posted:

dunno about the first two, although they both sound like something I've heard before, but maybe Duster, Windmills By the Ocean, and various shoegaze (I'm assuming you know Slowdive) for the second two.

Funeral Pudding posted:

Check out a CD called Total Feedback. It's a compilation of recent Japanese shoegaze bands, including My Dead Girlfriend. A lot of the other bands have a similar sound. Aside from that, maybe check out Sweet Trip, and certain songs by Coaltar of the Deepers.

Thanks all three of you. Will check out these recs and I'm considering crossposting this to the shoegaze thread :thumbsup:

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 15, 2011

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

-Atom- posted:

Can someone recommend me something along the same lines of Q and Not U's first album No Kill No Beep Beep? I was hoping I would get something similar out of the later two albums but they took a weird turn that I wasn't into.

I know that's oddly specific so I'm not entirely sure if that will really work but god damnit I'm going to try.
I totally feel you. Their later albums had that weird dance-punk thing going on and there was lots of falsetto... I found it pretty annoying, too.

The Dismemberment Plan - Basically criminal if you don't already know of them
Cinemechanica
Meet Me in St. Louis
Bear Vs. Shark
So Many Dynamos
Faraquet and/or Medications (members of Faraquet became Medications and moved towards a more straightforward pop sound, so they're probably more up your alley)
This Town Needs Guns (not really that similar, but the singers remind me of each other and TTNG are just too good to not mention)
Giraffes? Giraffes! are instrumental, but they have a very guitar-heavy style I find somewhat similar to No Kill No Beep Beep.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Cuntington posted:

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles

Kids on TV - Breakdance Hunx

Do you know any more good songs with gay, sexual lyrics?

Mika can get pretty gay. I'm not really familiar enough with his discography to say if he ever gets sexual about it. Maybe somebody else can fill you in?

I have a request, too. I've been listening to quite a bit of Alexander Scriabin's stuff on youtube in the last couple weeks, and I've really liked it. I have almost no experience with classical, though, outside of playing violin for a few years. Can someone point me in the direction of the best way to listen to his stuff? I'm not really sure what to listen to, because the performer can have a big effect on how the compositions sound. Is there an "album" of definitive performances or something? Help a total classical baby please.

Here's an example of a performance I liked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDXwo4X07mg

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Lavalamp posted:

I like Maps & Atlases too, and that whole nameless zone of clean, fast, technical guitar work that resides somewhere between people's definitions of "math rock" and "metal".

Interesting drum work and technicality, without the side of math rock that goes "BRAAAAGGGHGHHGHGHGH"

Can you guy's suggest me anything of similar interest? I love weird/impulsive hip hop and electronica as well, Prefuse 73 and so on.
So are you trying to say you like technicality and complexity but don't like the noisy or really heavy end of that genre? Sorry, your request has me scratching my head a bit. Anyway my post on the last page has a few math rock/related bands, so check some of them out, especially TTNG. "Clean, fast, technical guitar work" immediately makes me think of This Town Needs Guns (and also Volta do Mar, esp. songs like Sports Conquest or Rock for Nations, but they have no youtube videos at all, so...)

Hooplah posted:

Cinemechanica
Meet Me in St. Louis
So Many Dynamos
Faraquet and/or Medications (members of Faraquet became Medications and moved towards a more straightforward pop sound, so they're probably more up your alley)
This Town Needs Guns
Giraffes? Giraffes! are instrumental, but they have a very guitar-heavy style I find somewhat similar to No Kill No Beep Beep.
Native is pretty cool. Also, Zach Hill may be the definition of math rock that goes "BRAAAAGGGHGHHGHGHGH" (???) but he's been in many good acts, like Marnie Stern or Team Sleep. Team Sleep might be what you're looking for. Chino of Deftones fronts that band and they're pretty chill trip hop alongside the obvious Deftones feel and Zach's complex drumming. Also check out Other Men, one of Rob Crow's many bands. If you like them, then I guess look him up on Wikipedia or lastfm and check out some of the other bands he was in that sound interesting. You might also like 31Knots. And because you're pretty vague, have some Extra Life. Hardly related at all to any of this other stuff, but they do some very strange rhythms and instrumentation, while keeping a somewhat traditional pop song structure. Very unique vocal style as well. I think their newest EP, Ripped Heart, is better than their older stuff, fwiw.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Cumhand Luke posted:

The other guy who responded to you, I don't necessarily agree with his list. It seems to focus more on math-rock than this "Dischord/DC sound" that I personally tend to associate with Q and not U. I mean, you'll probably still like a lot of that music anyway but maybe not for the same reasons.

Fugazi's End Hits and The Dismemberment Plan are still your best bets, in my opinion. But you probably already know about them so I don't know what to tell ya!

Guilty as charged. My list was pretty much math-rock, because I'm really not too familiar with the scene Q and not U originated from, but I knew I liked that album. I basically listened to it and picked out things I liked, then went through my library and picked out other things that reminded me of them. That made it come out as a bit of a free association thing, not necessarily anybody that influenced them/were influenced by them or were related somehow. I thought about throwing a disclaimer at the beginning saying that, but decided not to. In hindsight I guess maybe I should have.

Whatever though, this just means we collectively covered more rec'n territory :tipshat:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RebBrownies posted:

I heard a pretty cool song today. It is Bloodhail by Have a Nice Life.
I was wondering had recommendations for dark ambient music similar to that song =)

That whole album is really, really good. I hope you've listened to other songs on Deathconsciousness. They're on the label Enemies List Home Recordings; I'd recommend checking out some other bands on there. Especially Giles Corey, Dan Barret's other band, and Afterlives. If you're specifically looking for dark ambient, I'm afraid I won't be of a ton of help, as I don't normally listen to that genre. Have A Nice Life is just so drat good, and their label seems cater specifically to that kind of gloomy, diy aesthetic, and less so specific genres.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I'm looking to go on a new music binge, so the more recommendations the better.

Seconding Unwound. Leaves Turn Inside You has TONS of depth, so you may need to give it a couple listens through. At least, I had to.

Try 31Knots. They don't have too much on youtube, but you can stream their most recent stuff at Polyvinyl's website. There's a lot on there to listen to, but try The Curse of the Longest Day EP or Something up there this way comes on Worried Well or Chain Reaction on Talk Like Blood.

Deerhoof is really cool.

So is Mew.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Everyone just jumping around and hive giving high fiving each other!

Edit: Thanks phone.

If you like them then how about Adebisi Shank or The loving Champs

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

furry drum circle posted:

A couple years back I used to listen to a whole bunch of stuff like The Mercury Program, but my computer fried a while back and I can't remember any band names and want to get back into it. Any recommendations for music like this would be great, "post-rock" is too drat vague.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKSRvqnrajQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kty2IdepMN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvAX0DIodso

E: also Tristeza, My Dad Vs. Yours, The Six Parts Seven, Unwed Sailor.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 3, 2012

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

THS posted:

I really really really like Minus The Bear. Problems:

1. Jake Snider can't sing or write lyrics for poo poo
2. That doesn't matter because everything they made up to and including Menos El Oso was amazing
3. The bad lyrics are endearing and good

Recommend me something else with tight, ringing, exciting guitar work but with some vocal base. Generally I don't like anything ultra math rockish and MTB doesn't consider themselves math rock anyway. Not too clean, music rough around the edges is fine.

This Town Needs Guns would be good to check out, as would Pinback. Maybe check out some of the bands Mike Kinsella was/is associated with, too.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Farts Domino posted:

Those albums were right about when I was getting out of that stuff but I know Circle Takes Square and Fall of Troy were often mentioned in the same breath as those

Yeah, and those were just out about when I was getting into that stuff. I also liked Circa Survive, Finch (moreso Say Hello to Sunshine than their first album), early Coheed and Cambria, Black Sails-era AFI, Taking Back Sunday, mewithoutyou, At The Drive-In, The Sound of Animals Fighting, Rx Bandits, The Blood Brothers, Dance Gavin Dance.

I must say I was way more into Thrice than Thursday or Senses Fail, fwiw.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

Since Thrice came up, what about something more like middle-era Thrice? Vheissu was my favorite, but I also liked most of the Alchemy Index stuff too. Somebody once recommended Isis when I asked for something like Vheissu, and I thank that person, but only In The Absence of Truth really scratched that itch.

Can you specify a bit what it is about Thrice and Isis that you like? They're different enough from each other that you could get recommendations all the way from poo poo like The Dear Hunter or The Receiving End of Sirens to stoner metal like Electric Wizard or Sleep.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

^^^Haha I love it when Ozma fucks with your title :allears:

pwnyXpress posted:

Thanks again for at least making the effort. None of this really worked that well for me, though I find Cathedraal interesting for other reasons.

Maybe it would help, or might get some tips from other people if I post a few of the songs that I wouldn't mind having near duplicates of:

Thrice - For Miles
Thrice - Stand And Feel Your Worth
Isis - Wrists Of Kings

So stuff like those three. This is my final attempt. (Or at least my last one before I post asking again in here in about 6 months.)

Okay then how about these
Giant Squid
The Ocean
Baroness oh my god the comments on this one are hilarious and sad
Porcupine Tree If you're not familiar with Porcupine Tree, they have a huge body of material and this isn't necessarily representative of the rest
Oceansize

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 1, 2012

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ziltoid posted:

I just recently became a huge fan of The Paper Chase. I really dig the nice blend of the experimental and the listenable. Any other avant-garde bands that aren't just weird for the sake of it? Other favorite experimental (some more than others) bands of mine: Refused, Cursive, Arcturus, At the Drive-in, Man Man, and Tomahawk. I know this is a pretty scatter shot list and I'm sure I'm stretching the term "experimental" but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I'm familiar with most of the associated acts and side projects of the bands listed. Like: The (International) Noise Conspiracy, Fantomas, Mars Volta, etc.

The Book of Knots, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Art Bears, Extra Life.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Popcorn posted:

I need energetic Japanese non-anime rock music with female vocals. Hurry.

Deerhoof, but only the singer is japanese; Melt Banana, My Dead Girlfriend

Toe (w/ Toki Asako) has very sporadic girl singing

E: haha, totally screwed up that deerhoof link. it's actually deerhoof now.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Give me something like Saul Williams or Death Grips.