Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I realized I had had one of the Astrobots sitting in my pile of loot for a long drat time so I pulled the trigger and had them send it over. so now barring the upcoming Hyperion and the weird promo figures, I've got all the different Astrobots.

all the figures are at minimum decent, if not phenomenal. Athenia drags the bar down extremely low, but somehow Artemis is much better despite being largely the same mold and design. The giant articulated claw arm and jetpack definitely helps a lot imo, and her overall design is just cooler. Still would prefer non-fembot designing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I've been less lucky than other people so I'm happy to go back to being able to see the figure even if I find the packaging annoying.

It took 3 tries to get a Python Patrol Copperhead without a hosed up helmet paint app, I had Amazon warehouses swap both a Lowlight and a Firefly with other lovely toys on different orders, and Pulse shipped a Helix with a completely busted groin.

While I was able to get them all replaced properly, the original packaging would have saved me from at least one of those.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

New Frazetta Fire & Ice figure just went up for preorder: Teegra with her panther. $70 if you buy direct, $90 from BBTS. Very much looks like an action figure of your classic Frazetta babe. Which means I want one. Still not sure if I'll go for it though.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If anyone wants to add a little more fire power to their vamp here you go:

https://www.gridironprops.com/store/p746/112_Custom_VAMP_gi_joe_gridiron_props_Roll_Cage_DOOR_GUNNER.html

Looks like they're going to do the top gun as well going by the pictures, this is only for the side gun.

Neither are my thing, too modernish? Not what I want for my vamp. Still, if you want a bit more for yours, there you go.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nerd Of Prey posted:

New Frazetta Fire & Ice figure just went up for preorder: Teegra with her panther. $70 if you buy direct, $90 from BBTS. Very much looks like an action figure of your classic Frazetta babe. Which means I want one. Still not sure if I'll go for it though.

What is shipping like if you buy direct?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Honestly I have no idea, I have not bought anything from them personally. Just sharing what info I had. I did see a promo for 15% off your first order if you subscribe to their newsletter, so that would be about another $10 off that figure. Assuming shipping is reasonable, it's probably the cheap option. Don't know if any retailers have it without the BBTS markup.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Canopus250 posted:

I've been less lucky than other people so I'm happy to go back to being able to see the figure even if I find the packaging annoying.

It took 3 tries to get a Python Patrol Copperhead without a hosed up helmet paint app, I had Amazon warehouses swap both a Lowlight and a Firefly with other lovely toys on different orders, and Pulse shipped a Helix with a completely busted groin.

While I was able to get them all replaced properly, the original packaging would have saved me from at least one of those.

Yeah, that stuff is frustrating for sure. I know amazon doesn't give a poo poo about returns, so I don't think a window would've solved that problem. Same with Pulse.

I have a feeling that stores are cutting back on their brick and mortar stock and intend to focus more on online sales. I don't think either of my targets have had great stock in at least 6 months. Wave comes in, sells out and the pegs stay empty.

If indeed the focus is going to go more towards online sales, there's little reason to embrace the window packaging again. I was also frustrated that my pile of garbage was twice as big as it had been with the plastic clam trays. Those are just going to sit in a landfill until the end of time, and for what? It would be great if they'd go back to pure cardboard for the convince of opening the product and the smaller amount of garbage left over. Or hell, do a 50/50. Online retailers get boxes, brick and mortar get windows. That's still gonna be less plastic in the world and the insane people that keep marvel legends in their packages can still be happy.

Maybe I am just an old man yelling at a cloud though.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Nah, you've got the right idea for sure. It unfortunately does not seem like many (if any) companies would go through with such a logical packaging solution based on where the item was to be sold.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
More announcements tomorrow

quote:

“Hasbro hosts an action-packed toy panel with brand marketing team members revealing exciting new products, giving fans a first look across its iconic action brands. The panel will include select product reveals from Ghostbusters entertainment, celebrate the 40th anniversary of Transformers with new Studio Series figures, and announce new Cobra team members joining the G.I. JOE Classified Series line. In addition, the panel will bring updates on the Hasbro lines inspired by Star Wars, including The Black Series and The Vintage Collection, and Marvel, including exciting news about the Marvel Legends product line.”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

I have a feeling that stores are cutting back on their brick and mortar stock and intend to focus more on online sales. I don't think either of my targets have had great stock in at least 6 months. Wave comes in, sells out and the pegs stay empty.

This scans. I did a toy crawl to look for Marvel Legends '97 figures for a friend (and actually a friend in this case, I'm working on GI Joes) and hit three Targets and four WalMarts and none of them had any action figure aisles I'd call well stocked. They continually look like they would just post-Christmas.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

$10 in the US. I actually ordered one to go with my Dark Wolf coming from them. I'm also a Frazetta fan and I like that movie, so...

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dawgstar posted:

This scans. I did a toy crawl to look for Marvel Legends '97 figures for a friend (and actually a friend in this case, I'm working on GI Joes) and hit three Targets and four WalMarts and none of them had any action figure aisles I'd call well stocked. They continually look like they would just post-Christmas.

If it weren’t easy enough to get them online I’d guess we are still having supply chain issues. It seems to be more of a “didn’t order” or don’t care about the stock issue.

I can’t help but to think there’s something up with poor stock and the shut down of self checks. Almost like they don’t want customers in the store.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I decided to order my first MonsterArts. The newly released GxK Godzilla and Kong figures

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today I took a rare workday off, and wasted most of it on a pointless old-school toy run. I went to a Target looking for Studio Series 86 Blaster, followed by an Ollie's and FOUR Ross stores looking for Tomax, Xamot, and Marvel Legends Hammerhead on the Spider-Man retro card. All I found in all those stops was one drat Xamot, but at least it was $5.99.

Did anyone ever find Hammerhead when it was apparently showing up at Ross en masse for $5? I would love to get my hands on two cheap ones for customs, but I never, EVER saw any around here.

At least I followed all those fruitless errands with the best hot chicken and fries in the city, which was so satisfying, but I will pay for it later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mannnnn, I wish we had ross, ollie's, or whatever liquidation stores people have in the midwest or wherever, where I live. we used to have something called Tuesday Morning, which did have some insane finds at times(I'll never forget not buying the entire pallets of Lego Batman Batcaves they had for like $20 each which were then going for $600 a few years later) but was mostly total garbage kitschy stuff or overflowing with holiday leftovers. but that chain shut down years ago and I don't think anything has really taken its place, there's Big Lots but that place is garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got the Figuarts and Buzzmod 2Bs at the same time so here's a quick side by side. Ultimately they're pretty close and either one would be fine.

iPhone photos so it did its dumb processing softening thing. Figuarts left, Buzzmod right:

Figuarts is taller.
Buzzmod has better elbows, and a slightly better range of motion on the shoulders. It also comes with static swap out upper legs to get a full knee bend.
Figuarts skintone is better.
Buzzmod's skirt is soft with a wired bottom so you can pose it.
Figuarts pod is better, but Buzzmod has better swords (and has two.)
Figuarts has better alternate faces. You get 4: neutral with no blindfold, eyes closed with no blindfold, and 2 yelling faces (one blindfold, one not). Buzzmod has a neutral no blindfold, and 2 gritted teeth ones.
No stand for 2b herself with Buzzmod.

(rear end pics in DMs.)

Edit: Does anyone have a suggestion for a stand for figures this size? The heels mean she has no hope of standing on her own.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 30, 2024

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Big lots is so bad. Only had one hit there ever.
Ollie’s has been very good to me though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Joe Fisto posted:

If it weren’t easy enough to get them online I’d guess we are still having supply chain issues. It seems to be more of a “didn’t order” or don’t care about the stock issue.

I can’t help but to think there’s something up with poor stock and the shut down of self checks. Almost like they don’t want customers in the store.

It's this, hasbro's toy sales have been steadily declining, almost as if regular price increases have moved them out of impulse buys, so big box stores are getting more and more gun shy about larger orders.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's this, hasbro's toy sales have been steadily declining, almost as if regular price increases have moved them out of impulse buys, so big box stores are getting more and more gun shy about larger orders.

Got to add to this the distrubtion system seems to be absolutely rear end as well.

Few to little things on pegs, and if there is half the time it was stuff rotting there for ages.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Honestly I have no idea, I have not bought anything from them personally. Just sharing what info I had. I did see a promo for 15% off your first order if you subscribe to their newsletter, so that would be about another $10 off that figure. Assuming shipping is reasonable, it's probably the cheap option. Don't know if any retailers have it without the BBTS markup.

Yep, I ended up grabbing it direct from the Frazetta site with the discount, it ended up being like $30 cheaper than BBTS even after shipping (since BBTS would also charge tax and $4 shipping on top of the markup). I had to pay up front but I did it as PayPal pay-in-4 (something else I couldn’t do with BBTS).

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Does anyone have a suggestion for a stand for figures this size? The heels mean she has no hope of standing on her own.

These are what I use for my Figuarts and they work really well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N87J4T6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I was really surprised how well they actually hold their position. They also can link together. I haven't used any others to compare against but I'm happy with these.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's true. I'm still buying stuff but it's getting much less a given and I've already taken a pass on stuff that I would in theory really like, like the '97 X-Men Marvel Legends.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Yep, I ended up grabbing it direct from the Frazetta site with the discount, it ended up being like $30 cheaper than BBTS even after shipping (since BBTS would also charge tax and $4 shipping on top of the markup). I had to pay up front but I did it as PayPal pay-in-4 (something else I couldn’t do with BBTS).

Nice! I probably will order one the same way but I'm waiting for my next payday. Should be available for a while. I'm kinda sad I slept on Dark Wolf.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Amazon's pushing my retro card Scarlett release date back. :ohdear:

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Nice! I probably will order one the same way but I'm waiting for my next payday. Should be available for a while. I'm kinda sad I slept on Dark Wolf.

They have a wait list for Dark Wolf you can sign up for. That's how I nabbed my preorder a few weeks ago. He's gone up again once already since.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Same :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did you also get 'we'll let you know when we know?'

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I’m down in Miami/Key West for the next week, any suggestions on shops I should check out down here? Google is doing me no good.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Did you also get 'we'll let you know when we know?'

No, just a week. 4/11 to 4/18

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Corn Glizzy posted:

I’m down in Miami/Key West for the next week, any suggestions on shops I should check out down here? Google is doing me no good.

Key West owns but I dunno if there’s any collectibles.

For Florida there’s Tates which is a cool store. Idk where in Miami you are so it could be far. But it’s worth it if you can get there

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I stopped at Target today because they have the $5 off $50 or $20 off $75 toy sales going on, grabbed the last Recondo and Spider-Shot and a Classified Action Soldier to get that discount. They were plentiful in Metal Heads and Tombstones, I imagine they’re going to pegwarm like crazy. Also still had a full stock of Python Trubble Bubbles not marked down, which is why they haven’t sold any (even though the colors on that version are probably better than the OG).

Their NECA section was out of control though, it’s been a few months since I was at a Target and I’ve never seen it stocked like this. Tons of TMNT of all shapes and sizes, usually this section is a wasteland of garbage Funkos and ancient Toony Terrors.

Also this guy really is metal as hell

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I did some traveling recently and got to check out several Target locations I can't usually go to. Nothing too amazing, but I did pick up the new Black Series ANH Vader with the silver cheek. It's a pretty good Vader. Kind of a wack cape, but it's about what I'd expect for Hasbro.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Same! From 4/11 to 4/18 for me too.

Corn Glizzy posted:

Tate's is the best comic and toy shop in South Florida, and nothing else even comes close. But it's in Lauderhill, about an hour north of Miami, which is about four hours north of Key West.
https://tatescomics.com/visit/directions/#south

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tate's rules. That was my comic shop when I lived down there. I still pop in whenever I'm in the area.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I go to Tate’s often. They’re great if you’re looking for retro stuff, but they definitely overcharge for current lines. Like $35 for regular mainline Black Series.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
picked up a bunch of Joytoy 40k from the recent AliExpress sale that have been trickling in now

edit: some pics as i’ve been setting them up

Cry Havoc fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 30, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
For those wondering how to get the retro figures out of the case without destroying everything you can watch how YoJoJerk does it in his Scarlet review.

Scarlet review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb209ZMyjrs&t

Duke review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOQ42B4FvfM

They certainly kept their word on fixing the thickness of the card back.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

There’s a Todd show going on

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1774155522196869278?s=46

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I might buy all of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nanigans posted:

I go to Tate’s often. They’re great if you’re looking for retro stuff, but they definitely overcharge for current lines. Like $35 for regular mainline Black Series.

Every time I went i'd get a Hot Toy and honestly, their HT prices were pretty good.