Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So some random dude emailed me about buying my entire Muggs collection. Is BSS public?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Capm posted:

What would be the figure you guys would have most wanted a classic Marvel Legends version of?

There is a lot of stuff that I am utterly amazed we never got. A Jim Lee Jean Grey, Jubilee, Winter Soldier, the Wrecking Crew, Baron Helmut Zemo, a GOOD Red Skull, classic Ultron, a better Magneto (you know without that terrible Iron Man body), Crimson Dynamo, a comic based Mary Jane, Gladiator, Medusa, Enchantress, Dormammu, Polaris, Strong Guy, Nate Grey, Echo, Stryfe, Silver Samurai...

I could honestly go on and on all day. There is a lot of life left in the line. There is the biggies that have new modern designs that have not been done in ML (Thor, Iron Man, Cap) that could anchor waves with characters that folks have been wanting for years.

What Hasbro needs to do is completely revamp what they were doing before. Get some good sculpts with the level and type of articulation that we want and are accustomed to. Then give them a actual paint job instead of whatever they have been giving before. I don't mind spending a little bit more on a figure as long as it looks and feels like something worth that amount of money. Toy Biz put that bar very, very high and Hasbro has not of yet reached that level. They have came close with certain figures but not a entire wave yet.

I have word from a couple of different sources that Hasbro is showing off some new 6 inch stuff at Toy Fair, what that is I don't know. But enough people telling me that I guess it is true. We shall see. I don't know why they just didn't show it off at NYCC since they are so close to each other.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Rhyno posted:

So some random dude emailed me about buying my entire Muggs collection. Is BSS public?

Yeah, it is.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The one and only if I had to pick would be 90s Jean Grey. Anything past that would be gravy.
I had a custom one almost done but I overboiled it and melted it. Someone sent me an unpainted Jean Grey custom that looks pretty good, but, alas, I cannot paint work a darn.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOxqNC-YJ3A

It kinda puts my stop motion stuff I have been working on to shame. Jesse Falcon voices MODOK too. I want to know how they did the mouth.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Djarum posted:

It kinda puts my stop motion stuff I have been working on to shame. Jesse Falcon voices MODOK too. I want to know how they did the mouth.
Yea the mouth is exceptional. The rest is good, but doable, but that mouth movement.

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

Stage of History posted:

The one and only if I had to pick would be 90s Jean Grey. Anything past that would be gravy.
I had a custom one almost done but I overboiled it and melted it. Someone sent me an unpainted Jean Grey custom that looks pretty good, but, alas, I cannot paint work a darn.

Not having a 90s Jean really put a hamper on my buying ML. At first I only wanted X-men and Spider-man stuff, then just X-men stuff. I wanted to sort of make the cover to X-men 1 using MLs. So close. Eventually I sold all my MLs but Magneto and Blackheart. Now I want some back.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Djarum posted:

Ahahaha, it took me a moment to realize that it was a parody of Christian Bale flipping the gently caress out recently.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Djarum posted:

Nice collection there! I wish mine was that good. I have major holes in my collection still.

Sadly that's just a GIS. My collection is quite nice, but it's also all in boxes in another state. I would have posted a bunch of pictures from marvellegends.net but appropriately enough it seems to be down.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

The Capm posted:

What would be the figure you guys would have most wanted a classic Marvel Legends version of?

Marvel Legends never did enough villains for me. DCUC is doing a great job of bringing the bad guys, and Legends took almost ten loving years to bring us Kang. I mean seriously, there are some great Marvel villains that will never get the classic legends treatment. The Wrecking Crew and Baron Helmut Zemo were great mentions, and I would add Mr. Hyde, Barracuda, The Wizard, Trapster, Hammerhead, Graviton, Black Tarantula, Squadron Supreme, Squadron Sinister, Radioactive Man, Cyber, Attuma, swim trunks Namor, Purple Man, the Rose, Cassandra Nova, U-Men, Marvel Boy, Nano-Sentinels, Fantomex, Blastar, Molecule Man, Moonstone, Swordsman, Sebastian Shaw, Bastion, Prime Sentinels, Immortus, Tempus, Titanium Man, etc.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

bgaesop posted:

Sadly that's just a GIS. My collection is quite nice, but it's also all in boxes in another state. I would have posted a bunch of pictures from marvellegends.net but appropriately enough it seems to be down.

Waiting has vanished for some reason. But I recognize that collection. There's a lot of customs in it.
Edit: And ML is not almost ten years old stop making me feel old! And we did get swim trunks Namor.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
All this legends talk makes me feel bummed that I missed out on almost all of it. Which is why I'm kind of hoping the new line wouldn't such so much but no dice it seems.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
marvellegends.net is down because his host couldn't handle his site. Something about it was not taking up too much bandwith but too much processor time. So, they just took the site off, didn't tell the owner and then gave him the run around. There was a thread about it on the fwoosh.

I think it maybe gone for good since the guy can't afford a dedicated server and anywhere else is too expensive for what the site brings in.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Maybe if he invested in some photo compression.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Stage of History posted:

Maybe if he invested in some photo compression.

It wasn't the photos or the bandwidth, it was the backend of what his site was built on.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Djarum posted:

What Hasbro needs to do is

Sell the license to Mattel?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Travis343 posted:

Sell the license to Mattel?

You know while I hate what Hasbro is doing, I don't think Mattel's approach is what I would want from Marvel Legends. DC's characters for the most part have the same sort of build and body type so that the same basic base body for every figure works.

Marvel on the other hand has distinct and vastly different costumes, body types and looks very nearly every single character. I can understand that single fact makes the construction of toys based on them expensive since you have to make new tooling for parts of a ton of characters. Because you know you just can't slap a new head, hands and feet onto Spider-Man and get Captain America like you do with Batman, Superman or Green Lantern.

Let me say again I am not bashing DCUC in any way. Mattel is doing amazing with that line and giving DC characters the type of treatment they have been deserving for years. I just don't think that Mattel would really want that license.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Djarum posted:

You know while I hate what Hasbro is doing, I don't think Mattel's approach is what I would want from Marvel Legends. DC's characters for the most part have the same sort of build and body type so that the same basic base body for every figure works.

You know I agree with what you say about the DCUC line 100%

But can you imagine the types of figures they would churn out for their movie masters line?

Spiderman, X-Men, Wolverine, Daredevil (even if the movie was lovely I thought the costume was neat)... oh my god.. <3

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

With the ML line entering its twilight years, I think I am finally going to catalogue and sell off all of my old ML figures that I bought just out of OCD habit and don't really want. Hopefully this will give me the cash to buy up the last few figures I actually want for my collection.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated noted, with the Original TMNT re-releases coming out, I figured there might be a little interest in this: There is a small 350¥(~$4) Store down the street from me that has a poo poo load of Casey Jones, Krang, the Aloha Shirt Frog Guy, and I want to say the metallic robot Turtle. They are all in their original packaging from the 90s/late 80s, so if anyone wants them let me know. The bios, etc. on the package are in Japanese, of course.

I can fit a few in my suitcase and then mail them to you when I get back to the States (23rd). If you don't care about packaging, then I can package them loose in my luggage and fit a lot more.

The Capm posted:

I'm also ok with Marvel Legends slowing to a trickle. It's weirdly satisfying to have almost an entire line like this, with an end in sight. I wonder if interest in the old figures will ever dry up and it will be easier to patch up the few things I'm missing?

I remember back when the line first started, I was at Wizard World with some friends and we were joking about a Longshot Marvel Legend, just because it would stretch the definition of legend so much. And now look where we're at.

Blink. I just want a modern Blink figure so badly :(.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Anxiously waiting the list :allears: but I'm down to all HTF stuff so I'll never finish it without paying an arm and a leg.

I agree on the DC vs Marvel figure notes. I didn't think I'd care for DCUC because of the samey bodies, but it works.

What does Hasbro need to do? Maybe taking a break will help. Most of their product seems rushed, and this is coming from the biggest Hasbro apologist out there.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 14, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My most-wanted Marvel Legends figure happens to be my all-time favorite Marvel character: Jamie Madrox, aka Multiple Man. I would kill to have him in his modern X-Factor look (long-sleeved T-shirt with the six circles with a trench coat), and even a 2-pack release would be fine with me. I hope Hasbro gets around to him one day.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Marvel Select:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Stage of History posted:

What does Hasbro need to do? Maybe taking a break will help. Most of their product seems rushed, and this is coming from the biggest Hasbro apologist out there.

What they need to do is stop making pointless changes to stuff. Like at least the first two HML waves were made and tooled by Toy Biz. Remember how good those protos looked at Toy Fair? Then when we got the figures and they looked nothing like those.

The lack of paint, removal of articulation, terrible sculpts, the increase in price for little good reason.

I would grab the Toy Biz figures without a thought because for the price (around 8 bucks US) they were a incredible deal. Right after Hasbro they bumped the price up to about 11 bucks a figure and put out figures that looked nothing like what Hasbro put out.

Sure you can get them looking better if you can paint and do some mods to the figures. I don't feel like I should be spending 11 bucks a figure just to spend days and more money to make them look good enough to fit in the the rest of the figures I already own.

Now with oil prices back to a point that they were at in the late 90s what will be the excuse now for them to keep the price way up there? It sure as hell doesn't cost that much to produce the figures anymore, but dollars to donuts I am sure you are going to keep seeing 10+ dollar figures. Hell, those Marvel Universe figures being 8+ dollars a pop is just insulting. They look like they cost a quarter to produce and you could get something better looking out of a capsule machine.

Character selection could also be closer related to the comics. I am amazed that there was no Marvel Legends figures other than the lame Electra for Secret Invasion. No new Thor or any form of Winter Soldier/New Cap. Hell we still don't have a Extremis Iron Man and he has been in that suit for years now. That seems like a no brainer to be able to cross promote your product with the audience that is most likely going to buy it and vice versa.

So to make a long, rambling post short... Get back to making things that is know that we like: good looking, super articulated (that means no Black Bolt body or Elbrlos! Double Knees and Elbows! Give me back hand articulation too damnit!), with decent paint decos on them. Then give them to us at a fair price.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I don't mind the new/reduced articulation really. And the price isn't going down.
But better paint applications will probably go a long way.
Edit: A ton of figures on Sa Mart. Most going on ebay/back to the store if no one claims em this weekend.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 14, 2009

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Agrias120 posted:

With the ML line entering its twilight years, I think I am finally going to catalogue and sell off all of my old ML figures that I bought just out of OCD habit and don't really want. Hopefully this will give me the cash to buy up the last few figures I actually want for my collection.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated noted, with the Original TMNT re-releases coming out, I figured there might be a little interest in this: There is a small 350¥(~$4) Store down the street from me that has a poo poo load of Casey Jones, Krang, the Aloha Shirt Frog Guy, and I want to say the metallic robot Turtle. They are all in their original packaging from the 90s/late 80s, so if anyone wants them let me know. The bios, etc. on the package are in Japanese, of course.

I can fit a few in my suitcase and then mail them to you when I get back to the States (23rd). If you don't care about packaging, then I can package them loose in my luggage and fit a lot more.

Blink. I just want a modern Blink figure so badly :(.

Casey Jones, Metalhead and Krang would be awesome, original packaging is nice but if you need to fit more thats fine loose. :D

I'll pay via paypal!

Picked up SF4 Ryu and Ken today, a bit bulky and Ryu looks like an ogre but I like the articulation and overall they are very nice figures.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Vintersorg posted:

Casey Jones, Metalhead and Krang would be awesome, original packaging is nice but if you need to fit more thats fine loose. :D

I'll pay via paypal!

Picked up SF4 Ryu and Ken today, a bit bulky and Ryu looks like an ogre but I like the articulation and overall they are very nice figures.

Sounds good man, I will head to the store in the next day or two and see if they still have them. There were a ton when I was in there before (like 10-15 of each figure) but they also seemed to be pretty popular and sold a fair amount while I was there.

Speaking of Street Fighter, I picked up Chun Li and Ryu from the Revoltech Street Fighter Online. They are smaller figures, but the sculpts on them look pretty solid and they have awesome articulation. I'd never heard of these before, and they seem to be based off of a Street Fighter Online game (the packaging proudly proclaims that you can see the Revoltech joints on the models in the game). I must be pretty out of the loop.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Joe Fisto posted:

Marvel Select:

drat that Sabretooth looks fantastic. I am not crazy about the head, but it would go great with a Marvel Vs. Capcom custom. I might have to get it and swap the head.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The MU Secret Wars Comic 2 packs look amazing, the Wolverine is perfect.

Also on the Mighty Mugg front, Deadpool and Logan with retractable claws!

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 15, 2009

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Ok after seeing the pictures from Hasbro's Toy Fair showing I have to say...

take the loving Marvel license away from them before they do anymore damage!

Other than the Muggs EVERYTHING they showed off looked AWFUL!

It is really, really sad that they can't even make the figures to show off at Toy Fair look good. You know when you get them in the store they are going to look even worse. Every single one of the Wolverine movie figures looked terrible and the Marvel Universe figures looked even worse. Moon Knight is wearing heels from Ms. Marvel it looks like!

I have a lot of complaints about the sculpts on a lot of Hasbro's Legends stuff but they at least made them look human, just perhaps not the character they are supposed to be. A lot of the Marvel Universe stuff looks like half melted retards or at the very least not human.

I am looking at Star Wars figures from 1996 and the sculpting is LEAGUES better than this poo poo. What is up with the GIANT 1/12 scale Sais from the Elektra two pack with Deadpool?

I am honestly expecting someone to just say "Hey we are loving with you!" at some point.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just don't buy them. Vote with your wallets. I think a lot of the complainers will buy Marvel Universe stuff anyway (naysaying all the while), and all that accomplishes is showing Hasbro there is a market for the junk.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just don't buy them. Vote with your wallets. I think a lot of the complainers will buy Marvel Universe stuff anyway (naysaying all the while), and all that accomplishes is showing Hasbro there is a market for the junk.

Oh I am not buying any of it, unless they actually rerelease the ML Sentinel in which I might have to buy a couple of those but that doesn't really count.

I really wouldn't be so bitter about everything if the figures themselves were good. Its like your wife leaves you for a 50 something, 300 pound ball guy who still lives in his mother's basement and has no job.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
I'll buy them when they hit the 50 cent clearance bins.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
GI Joe Movie Line:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=09_Toy_Fair%2FHasbro%2FGI+Joe%2FRise+Of+Cobra%2F&dispsize=600&start=0

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Thirty-six or so figures coming out this year too.
Some of the new stuff they showed looked OK, but it's just not that exciting in that scale :(

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I think there is a big jump from the first to the second and then it seems to take off. The Wrecking Crew guys are awesome.

All in all I'll probably skip the entire first wave sans Iron Man and Stealth Iron Man. They are all A listers and will be redone better in 2 packs or down the line.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
Hahah, Muggs are Toys R Us exclusive now. gently caress 'em, Hasbro deserves to fail with stunts like that.

By the by, in the last thread I pasted a fwoosh link that said muggs were going bye bye. This move seems to indicate some truth to that:

quote:

When questioned about the move, Hasbro said they wanted to continue the line but did not have any room for them, which is when TRU swept in and picked them up for release.

profbobo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 15, 2009

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

:bravo:
It keeps getting better!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well it's a good move for Toys R Us since the Muggs are going to bring in solid money.

I read the that article that they canceled the Snakes Eye Mr. Potato head. Every one of those Movie themed Mr. Potato Heads have done real well and cost almost nothing to make. Hell I even own them.

Seriously is Hasbro ran by morons?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Djarum posted:

I read the that article that they canceled the Snakes Eye Mr. Potato head. Every one of those Movie themed Mr. Potato Heads have done real well and cost almost nothing to make. Hell I even own them.

I have some of these too. Do you know of a checklist :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rebelscum.com has pics of 2009 Star Wars stuff. God damnit, between Star Wars and Transformers poo poo, hasbro is gonna get a LOT of money from me. :cry:

I've got THREE weaknesses when it comes to 3 3/4" Star Wars figures:
- rebel pilots
- astromech droids (like, R2-D2, those kind)
- expanded universe characters (well, most of them)

So with these new figures we're getting a shitload of all of those. Hell, we're getting not only a Kyle Katarn figure (player character from the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games) but an HK-47 figure. Oh yeah, and Corran Horn (with his astromech, no less).

I am gonna be soooo poor this year. :gonk: