Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Hey toy fans, you might enjoy my latest custom job as seen in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3102544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I am one of the idiots who preordered all the Shocker Toys "Indie Spotlight" figures.

I have my reasons - I am such a frothing fanatic when it comes to The Maxx that I was willing to roll the dice for a Mr. Gone action figure sight unseen, and the two Scud figures actually looked really badass. I'm mostly getting the other ones just for the extra Isz. If I don't like the figures I'll just scrap them for future custom jobs.

Anyway the point is, I ordered them months ago, Shocker Toys gave us all the runaround but I shrugged it off and kinda forgot about the whole thing, but I just got an e-mail saying they're shipping ALL of the preorders this week. So who knows, maybe they do exist. I'll let you guys know if they arrive.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Shocker Toys Indie Spotlight update: I got an e-mail the other day saying shipping was delayed because they didn't have enough boxes, which is just adding insult to injury at this point, but then I got one today from paypal that said my items had shipped.

I think with all the delays a lot of people are jumping to the conclusion that they're a shady company, but my guess is they're just in way over their heads with this line and probably all hyperventilating about it on a daily basis...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

You heard it here first: I have the Indie Spotlight figures IN MY HAND. For real. If you can get behind the cheesy cartoonish sculpting style, they're fun. The "pink fairy" isz are hilarious and perfect.

The Maxx is a very weird figure. He's made out of kind of rubbery plastic, with a lot of ball-and-socket joints that are easy to accidentally pull apart, but the result is some pretty crazy articulation. Ultimately the old McFarlane Toys figure looks way better, but this one is more fun to play with. His Outback headdress looks dumb, but his regular head looks better than I expected. He sort of reminds me of the "saturday morning cartoon" Maxx from the dream sequence where he was running around with a fish bowl.

The Scud figure is the star of the line, in my opinion... a little smaller than I hoped, but he looks awesome in every pose. I want a 12" version. With an optional werewolf arm. The SOL variant is cool too. (edit: I just noticed that if you read the fine print, the sign on SOL's back says he's "heartbreaker series 1373." D'oh!)

I don't really understand the logic of making a goofy-looking super-articulated figure of Katchoo. I read some Strangers in Paradise years ago, and I liked it, but she's not that compelling as a toy.

The Shadowhawk figures look good, but I don't know much about Shadowhawk. Kabuki is not bad but the old MAC version was a whole lot classier. This one looks dumb without her mask, and is missing her cool facial scars, but the articulation is a selling point.

I have yet to see Mr. Gone (he's still in production, they say, but I'll receive one when they're ready) but as previously stated: if such a thing as a Mr. Gone figure exists, I must have it, goofy-looking though it may be.

Summary: The Scud figures are amazing, the rest are ho-hum. It's arguable that the great articulation makes up for generally lackluster sculpting. They were worth it to me for the small army of multi-colored isz, which I'll probably just display around my old McFarlane Maxx figure.

Edit again: Here's a twist. They all come with an insert saying I can mail in my upc's and get a Mr. Gone. Supposedly I'm already signed up for one from ordering the set... but what exactly is stopping me from mailing in the UPC's for a second one? Assuming I used a friend's name and address as a front, I don't see how they'd even know. If I end up with two of them, I'll let you guys know.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 21, 2009

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

bgaesop posted:

Pics?

Not that I'd expect everybody to know this, but there are a ton of pictures of the actual factory figures up in various threads on the Shocker Toys forums... check this one: http://www.shockertoys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3023 (I'm not a member there, but I still had their site bookmarked from when I was wondering what the hell the status was.)

BBTS is using the stock photos of the prototypes, FYI. There are minor differences, like the Scud figure isn't painted glossy yellow, he's just bare yellow plastic with some faint orange airbrushing. Here's a good photo from that thread of the two Scud figures in neat poses: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/Shogi88/SCUD/Scud10.jpg They have no trouble standing freely in positions like that.

The factory Katchoo figure actually looks nicer than the prototype. The paint job on her face is excellent. If for some reason you've been waiting all your life for a Katchoo action figure, this one won't disappoint... I'm just not sure what the odds are that anyone has.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

scare posted:

while i love Strangers in Paradise, i think it'd be cool to have a Katchoo action figure, I think once i did, I'd be waiting the rest of my life for shocker to make a Francine to go with her...

I hear that. Maybe David too... It would be nice if this line continued long enough to give everybody their proper supporting cast. I'm already wishing there were more Scud variants, like Oswald and Scud Lite ("He won't kill, he'll just beat the poo poo out of somebody!") not to mention any number of other awesome characters from that comic. At least we got an SOL.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I have been super lazy about doing any sculpting / customizing lately but today I was looking at my movie masters Joker again and getting angry at the bad paint job again, and it has inspired me to do a full-on custom job. It will be a nice way to ease back into it.

I'm just starting work on it, but step one is giving him a new neck, because his head was off-center and barely able to move, then I'm going to repaint this sucker head to toe! At first I was thinking I didn't want to redo stuff like the pinstripes on his legs and the texture on his shirt/tie, but then I decided it would ultimately be worth it, so I'm going all out.

My goal is to have him look as good as Hot Toys Joker. Only by attempting the impossible will I achieve the unlikely, right?

Expect photos in like... a year... or whenever I get my lazy rear end in gear. (hopefully very soon, I'm trying to get back on the drat wagon here)

Side note:

I've been halfway following all the discussion of Hasbro vs. Toy Biz and their philosophies when it comes to Marvel, and I suddenly flashed back to the early 90's when Toy Biz was just starting out, and their DC toys were like awful Chinese knockoffs... easily the worst figures on the market, and then our heroes at Kenner (now Hasbro) scored the Batman license and knocked it out of the park.

And now, almost 20 years later, just when Toy Biz had finally realized that making high-quality figures was a better business move than churning out stuff like beach Spider-Man, Hasbro loses the plot and starts making awful poo poo. Total role reversal. Ironic.

I will never understand the schism that exists in the minds of toy company CEO's when it comes to kids vs. collectors. I remember being a kid, and my list of criteria for judging a cool-rear end toy has changed very, very little. Nobody ever had to put Darth Vader in a neon pink suit to get my attention, so why the gently caress does anybody think Batman needs one?

Have these assholes ever physically walked into a toy store and looked at the shelves? The well-crafted figures that stay true to whatever source material are the first to sell out, 100 loving percent of the time. I'm almost 30 years old and have been dealing with the same poo poo this entire time. When will they LEARN?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Too late! I don't do poo poo halfway...

Here is a real quick in-progress snapshot, I used games workshop "green stuff" putty to add detail to the vest (pockets, better lapels, a more realistic "missing button" effect) as well as to add buttons/holes to the left sleeve* and redo the neck joint completely. I also filled in all the big fat holes from the elbow/knee/ankle joints and carved away some of the uglier mold lines.

I was tempted to do a ton of resculpting on his hair, but I decided I'd just let the paint job carry that part.

*I'm not sure why the buttons were left off his left sleeve, but my assumption is that the sculptor just didn't quite finish the job. There was probably a looming deadline at play. Other parts of the figure look rushed, too.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I deliberately avoided getting into this in my last complaining-about-toy-companies post because it's such a dumb nerd rage thing, but I have been pissed at Mattel for a long time over their handling of my favorite toy line ever, the Masters of the Universe relaunch in 2002... the line was flying off the shelves until they decided to churn out case after case of idiotic candy-colored rehashes instead of new characters, at which point it just immediately died. Big surprise.

They treated collectors like poo poo then, trying to cater to some imaginary other market, and now that they realized their mistake they're just treating us like poo poo again with this blatantly overpriced "matty collector" bullshit... and I'm miffed that it's these assholes, of all people, that are finally making the Ghostbusters figures I've wanted since I was 7, and I just don't even want to give them the satisfaction of buying any. Matty collector can go to hell.

Blah blah nerd rage.

My Joker custom job is coming along nicely, though...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

mods rename me posted:

That's some fine nerd rage but I agree. I was gonna get into the new stuff but I missed Greyskull. Now it's just too much for me right now, so I'm dumping my old stuff even.

I haven't touched that new MotU stuff at all. The 2002 line was so beautifully sculpted, every figure was like a little work of art... and to me the new figures are just plain ugly, so they only add insult to injury.

I'll probably end up buying the Ghostbusters figures, but I'm not gonna go fighting tooth and nail for the exclusive versions, that's for sure. I still have all the awesome monsters that NECA made a few years ago, so all I need are the 4 basic busters and I'm golden.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Haha you just customized YOURSELF!

I'm almost done with the Joker. You guys are gonna like it. I told myself I wasn't gonna gently caress with the head sculpt, but in typical me fashion I ended up making a few little alterations. As long as I'm doing something I'm gonna do it right.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My camera is a piece of real poo poo, but here's one picture that turned out okay:

A few notes: His overcoat in the movie was actually a very vibrant purple, not the washed out blackish-purple they used for the toy. I used layers of dry-brushing to give it a proper lived-in look, and added the makeup stains around the lapels. The pinstripes on his pants were way more subtle than I could actually duplicate at that scale, so I just did a quick vertical dry-brush thing, and it's good enough for me. I used three or four shades of green on his vest, and tried my best to get a decent approximation of the patterns on his shirt and tie. I only put a quick dark wash on the shoes and wallet chain.

For his face I started with a medium gray wash over white, then very carefully laid in darker shades of gray around his eyes. Never pure black. Same with the red on his mouth, I diluted it with gray paint too. The bits of flesh tone were the last step. I painted his hair sandy brown first, then dry-brushed a sickly green over parts of it, then put a dark wash over the whole thing.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I miss Palisades too. I will always treasure my Pink Panther action figure. Who else would ever make one?

Here is my best attempt at a close-up shot of Joker:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Action Man posted:

I've decided that I'm going to start customizing figures. I've begun getting discount figures for spare parts, but I haven't done this before. Where is a good place to learn?

A major piece of advice I'd give you is to definitely read any tutorials you can find, but don't feel limited or obligated to what they tell you... if you feel like you've got a better idea, try it. If you gently caress up a figure or two, you'll learn from that. It's all about creativity, so feel free to make your own rules. I do all kinds of crazy poo poo when I make custom figures, and it usually works.

But seriously, build up paint in thin layers. Always. I know it takes longer, but nothing ruins an otherwise cool figure like fat brush marks and drips and crap. Don't ever rush the paint job.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Mapocho posted:

The sculpt on Hellboy is solid geometric cuts, going along with the blocky Mignola style. Looks like the paint job on him is darker tones on the crevices of the sculpt washed/rubbed off. I think your corpse figure is looking great, just needs more of that rough blocky edge, don't paint the profile shadows on let the sculpt do that on its own. I hope this helps.

This is true - you might want to do some minor resculpting to add more angular shapes / texture - but I'm also gonna repeat my earlier advice: Don't ever try to take shortcuts when it comes to the paint job. Paint in very thin layers. Let it dry in between. You could try dry-brushing, then using a wash, then dry-brushing again. Experiment, and don't rush yourself.

If you want to copy Mignola's heavy ink style, which is incredibly hard to do in 3D (I like to think I'm a good sculptor, but those Mezco figures floored me), you need to be really careful in both the sculpting and the painting, and you might need to lay in some shadows manually, with a fine brush.

It is hard to give technical advice about paint not sticking to the figure if you don't go into some detail about the materials and techniques you're using. Do be sure the surface you're painting is clean and dry, and use good paint. Citadel is usually good for a matte finish, but it might need thinning down.

There will be some trial and error, but don't lose hope. It's an ambitious project and you're doing good work.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

New custom - Mega Man!

:megaman::megaman:

I made this guy out of a movie Iron Man figure, with a right hand pulled off an old Metal Gear Solid figure and the head/buster arm/wrist/ankles built from scratch. Painted with Testor's and Citadel acrylics. When people try to make Mega Man look too realistic it usually looks stupid, so I compromised with this kinda anime style.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Jace Madan posted:

Wow that Mega Man is outstanding, that's spot-on for what I would want to see for a live action movie adaptation design. The helmet and face are especially well done, did you sculpt them entirely from scratch or sculpt them on top of something?
Funny you should say that, I'm studying filmmaking and "what would this character look like in a movie" is a constant source of inspiration when I make toys. I would love to make a Mega Man movie someday. I have some pretty cool ideas for it. Maybe plopping this figure down on a producer's desk will help get me the job. This isn't exactly something I can think about in the short term, though.

Oddly enough, I never actually played a ton of Mega Man... it's not really a nostalgia thing or even a fandom thing, I just like the basic character design, and the story, and I got inspired.

To answer your question, I sculpted the face right on top of iron man's head, and then the helmet on top of that. It's all sculpey, no cheating. I looked at some pictures of real helmets, fancy bike helmets and the like, which inspired the aerodynamic look.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think they're long skinny limbs could be great for some customs.
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw them...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

A figure like that would unfortunately need to cost good money, because they take me weeks to make. The paint job alone on Mega Man took like 3 days. Sometimes I can bust a whole figure out in a weekend, but not one with that kind of attention to detail. Anybody that's serious about getting custom work done can always hit me up via AIM or PM... but I honestly feel like it's pretty hard to justify paying art gallery prices for toys, which is one reason why I prefer to make my own.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Stumbled across this pic on the Spawn.com toy boards:

It's a Superman figure repainted to look like 2D comic book art. I think it's a pretty cool effect. Apparently it was done by "frogDNA" over at Procustomizers.
Holy crap, that is hilarious and awesome! I have that same figure and I'm so tempted to try that now.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Fish Of Doom posted:

I was inspired by this and attempted to make an Animated Series Batman.

That's funny, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I've been wanting to make a custom Animated Series Batman for a long time, and the "fake 2D" effect definitely lends itself well to that concept. Nice job with it.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do that without geeking out and resculpting the figure head to toe, so it'll be a while before I try it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I haven't heard about this... I always wanted a Christopher Reeve Superman figure. Matty Collector sucks, though.

I don't much like the head sculpt on my 13" Superman doll, so I have been considering replacing it with a Reeve likeness.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Their Scud: The Disposable Assassin figures are really wonderful. They have a place of honor on my shelf.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Do those World War Robot figures come unpainted as a rule, or is that just some of them, or what? I can't afford to collect the things, but I'm curious.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I've been waiting for them to do a Ghostbusters 4-pack... I think I'd prefer a first-movie look, but repainting them would be fun and easy. I'd rather do that than wait around for a first-movie 4-pack that might not happen.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

stupid ugly retard posted:

so for 20 bucks they will automatically send you 7 figures, billing you another 20 bucks each time, and they aren't telling you what figures you'll get before you sign up. this is like those book club scams they try to push on elementary school students
Matty Collector seriously disgusts me. I'll buy a 4-pack, but buying the figures individually is pretty much 3 more times than I'm willing to click on their website.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

If I had a full-sized Alien head on my wall I'd want it mounted on a huge lacquered wooden plaque, like a big game hunter. Maybe a musket hanging under it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Jace Madan posted:

I'm still upset about MOTU 200x, the sculpting was amazing, the figures were fun, and there were so many great characters to get... if you could find them among the "Pimp Daddy" Skeletor and Neon party beachhouse He-man variants. I think had Mattel not killed the line with senseless shortpacking and some other really, really stupid choices it would have lasted a good amount of time.

Yeah, as I recall the line was actually flying off the shelves until Mattel ruined it by clogging stores with crap nobody wanted. That was one of my favorite toy lines of all time. Each one was a work of art. I was ready to clear out pretty much my whole toy collection to make room for more of them. It breaks my heart that they didn't get around to making actual toys of the Horde, because the Hordak "staction" is just about the coolest thing I own. The poor bastard is forever stuck in one pose, though.

There are a few of those figures I never did manage to track down, and now I'm too poor to go hunting for them on ebay. At least I can look forward to one day adding them to my collection. Meanwhile, those overpriced, butt-ugly "Classics" figures are a poor substitute. There's just no artistry there.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I have complained a few times about how the Masters of the Universe Classics line pales in comparison to the 200x line, but it occurred to me the other day that there was one toy in that old line I could never get into: Battle Cat. He's too small, the sculpting is a little boring, and the armor, while nicely detailed, just doesn't have that Battle Cat look.

On a whim, I decided to look for some pictures of the Classics version of Battle Cat, and I was surprised to find that it actually looks pretty freakin rad. I love the sculpt and the paint job, and it looks BIG. I'm reasonably sure that's the Battle Cat I want in my collection.

Here's my question: Does anybody here own both the 200x He-Man and the Classics Battle Cat (unpackaged) and would it be possible to snap me a picture of that He-Man riding that Battle Cat? I want to know if he actually fits on there before I pay whatever ridiculous price that toy will inevitably cost.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Thanks, that is helpful. It's comical how little that other Battle Cat looks next to the new one.

I will wait and see if they reissue him, since I can't really afford it right now anyway.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Isn't that just one of those cheap Indiana Jones dolls that was in the toy isle of every crappy department store a while back? It might not belong in a museum (:haw:) but it's pretty cool for a kids' toy. I would have been stoked to own that when I was a kid.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Where did you get that bar of Fight Club soap? That's hilarious.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

Ve vill cut off your chohnson!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I got a PM recently asking about my custom Mega Man figure and how I went about making it, and after writing what ended up being a very long reply, I figured I might as well paste it to the rest of you:

quote:

It's a little tough to explain my working process since it varies like crazy from one project to the next, and I'm pretty bad about ever snapping pictures of unfinished work.

Most of the custom sculpting I do is from various kinds of Sculpey polymer clays... they make a few different types that have different properties, and I'll frequently mix two or three kinds to get the effect I want. They all bake at the same temperature so any combination works.

Sculpey - the regular white stuff. Soft and easy to work with, but bakes extremely brittle. Great for bulking out large areas, horrible for fine detail.

Super Sculpey - the pink stuff. Perfect texture for difficult detail work, but still fairly brittle when baked. It's slightly translucent so I tend to add something to it just so I can see the details more clearly.

Sculpey Premo - much more durable than super sculpey. Comes in little colored blocks... a bit pricey. More elastic/gooey texture, so it's tougher to work with. 90% of the time I use a blend of Super and Premo. 50/50 is fine. More premo makes it more durable, more super sculpey makes it easier to work with. The colors are useful just to get a clearer idea of what you're doing. I.E. I mixed up blue clay to make Mega Man.

Sculpey Flex - makes rubbery, flexible forms. Great for making really thin, fragile details. It's like trying to sculpt with toothpaste, though, and mixing it with other types can impact its usefulness. File under "advanced."

This stuff all bakes at a low enough temperature that it's usually possible to bake it right onto a store-bought figure, but you always run the risk of warping or melting the thing so it's best to avoid it where you can. Cheap figures with hollow torsos are especially prone to this, so the first thing I do is try to pop the figure apart at its various joints so arms, legs and heads can be baked separately. (You can do this by preheating the oven to like 150 degrees and putting the figure in there for five minutes. The plastic softens enough to pop apart at the joints, but it's not hot enough to cause any damage.)

For Mega Man, I wanted him to have slightly cartoonier proportions than Iron Man, so I made his hands, feet and head bigger.

One hand got replaced by the buster arm. It was sculpted and baked totally separately. I chopped off his left hand, drilled a little hole in the stump just big enough to put a bit of bamboo skewer in there, then put a rough blob of sculpey over the skewer, pulled it off the arm and baked it, and that was my armature. I built up the cannon in many layers, just checking occasionally to make sure it looked good on his arm. Once it was all finished I krazy-glued it in place.

The other hand I borrowed from another toy. I kept the wrist joint from Iron Man but removed his hand just below it with an x-acto knife, then chopped the hand off the other figure and glued it carefully in place. I then had to make his wrist fatter. To get that overlapping armor look I built it up with thin cardboard first - glued in place - and then sculpted over that. I also added some bulk to his ankles, which took a while because I had to worry about symmetry as well as matching the style of the armor.

I always do the head last, because it's the most fun and the most challenging. Getting the proportions right and getting the attitude right are crucial, so it helps to have the body done first. For Mega Man's head, I used Iron Man's head as the "skull." I started by adding big round eyes to Iron Man's head, baked that, then sculpted the face around them, baked that, then sculpted the helmet in sections. I used a lot of real helmets for design inspiration. Google Image Search is your best friend!

It takes a lot of patience to do mechanical shapes, and usually you'll want to do a lot of fine sanding and carving after it's baked so that everything is nice and smooth.

The paint job on that guy took a very long time. I use acrylic model paint, various brands, but it's incredibly important to put layers of paint on very thin! This is where the majority of people gently caress up their hard work. You don't want any drips or brush strokes to show on something this small. There are no shortcuts. Be patient. If one thin coat of paint doesn't cover it perfectly, let it dry and add another.

Start with darker colors, then once you have a decent base coat you can gradually dry-brush lighter shades over it until it looks good. This will bring out details really nicely. Start with larger areas and work your way to finer details.

When I want really vibrant colors, I sometimes mix some fluorescent paint in there. I added a little day-glo green to the lighter blue on Mega Man. I always mix silver in with the eye color to get some lifelike sparkle in there. Eyes are really tough to paint. Sometimes it takes a few tries.

Remember that to be good at this stuff takes years of practice and an ability to improvise. A lot of customizers out there put up detailed tutorials, and you can steal ideas from everywhere, but the real trick is patience and skill and imagination.

Don't be afraid to just try new poo poo and see what happens. If it doesn't work, try something else. Practice on old toys you don't want anymore and stuff you dig out of bargain bins. It's about having fun, so just experiment.

Good luck!

I've said it before... I have been doing this stuff for a lot of years now but I've never really stopped making it up as I go. I learn something new every time I work on one of these.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I just use a regular oven.

Remember to preheat, because most ovens work by blasting heat as hard as they can until it warms up, and that's the best way to accidentally melt a plastic object. Most stuff you won't need to bake for more than 5 minutes... leaving it too long is another way to cause damage.

I've heard people talk about boiling it or using a heat gun, but that seems... messy. Most light bulbs probably won't get hot enough, but like I said, feel free to experiment.

There are various kind of epoxy sculpting putty out there that don't require baking, but I have kind of limited experience with that. It's not as easy to find in stores. You definitely don't want anything that "air dries," though, because that stuff shrinks and cracks as it loses moisture, and tends to be total crap.

The good stuff works via an actual chemical reaction, either heat-activated in the case of stuff like sculpey or a curing process that happens when you mix in a catalyst, as with epoxy.

P.S. Good job on the G.I. Joe.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

That's interesting. I've never run into air-dry stuff that actually worked. Did they figure out some crazy formula where it doesn't shrink? I might give that a shot at some point.

I've always heard good things about Apoxie but I have yet to mess with it. Really the only epoxy putty I've used extensively was games workshop "green stuff," which I picked up on a whim. It's not my favorite thing to sculpt with texture-wise but I use it for gap filler, minor details and small finishing touches where I don't want to risk heating up the figure again.

I mentioned boiling sculpey. Its baking temp. is also the exact boiling point of water, so it makes sense, but putting the water there seems like an unnecessary extra step to me.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

This site has a ton of pictures of the various new Thundercats toys, including ones based on the new cartoon and ones based on the original. Bandai is doing them and they look really nice.

I liked all the obvious things when I was a little nerd in the 80's, but Thundercats in particular was a big deal to me. I don't buy a lot of DVD's of old cartoons out of nostalgia, but I own the whole series of Thundercats and I watch a few episodes now and then when I'm feeling wistful.

I geeked the gently caress OUT when I saw this trailer for the new show. Lion-O's dad is voiced by the original Lion-O! Seriously I am over 30 and I probably should not be this stoked about a cartoon but I don't even fuckin' care!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

That looks fun, it's too bad they made Lion-O a kid, though. When will TV execs ever realize that boys like to fantasize about being men, not teenagers.

I don't want to derail this too far into discussing the actual show, but Lion-O was a kid in the original show. At least, in the first episode he was a kid, and then due to some sort of complications with his stasis pod on the way to Third Earth, he physically grew into an adult... but psychologically he was still like ten years old. It was occasionally addressed on the show, but mostly he was just treated like a grown-up.

It looks as if, rather than deal with the awkwardness of that in the new show, they're starting him out a little bit older and having him age naturally through the series. They also seem to be placing his friends closer to his own age so it's less like they're his babysitters. I see it a huge improvement, personally.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, I don't know whether the fancy 8" figures based on the 80's show are going to be at mass market stores, but I'd definitely bet on the other stuff showing up there. The 4" line in particular is definitely aimed more at kids than collectors, and the 6" ones are kinda for both.

I hope they're successful enough to keep making them for a while. I dig those 6" figures but it looks like they're only making 3 of them for the first wave. It would be pretty annoying if they never rounded out the main cast.

On a related note, I always wanted to do a really top-notch custom figure of Lion-O for my own collection, but I didn't want to directly imitate the cheesy "bathing suit" outfit from the old show. At the same time, I could never settle on a redesign that I really liked. A million people out there have done different interpretations of the character that were interesting, but none of them really inspired me. I like his look on the new show just fine. Maybe I'll think up some sort of hybrid that combines elements.

Edit:
Here's a video of a guy from Bandai explaining everything about the various new toys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ztma9pzxmQ

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Ka0 posted:

I'm testing out my newly built ghetto-style lightbox, so I picked up a MU Punisher, which was on clearance to a ridiculous degree. I noticed the figure itself wasn't bad, but I can see if I had spent a good amount of cash on Legends I would be upset or whatever:

My local newstand is jampacked full of replica cars, planes and bikes so I picked this little thing here and I think it made an improvement:

I always thought those little motorcycles looked just about right for a figure that size to ride, but never tried it. Looks cool.