Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Well, I don't really have any money to offer to you, and I try to get figures for specific projects more than just stockpile them. If you just feel like giving me free toys I couldn't really complain, but otherwise I will have to pass.

I've had friends just give me random toys that they find before, and it's never exactly a bad thing - it's nice that they think of me - but I have kind of a staggering number of unfinished projects already so there's no guarantee I'll ever do anything with them. My spare room is kind of a mass graveyard of forgotten toys. I probably need to be getting rid of some poo poo myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

New pics of the upcoming Mortal Kombat 6" figures coming out later this summer. Cage and Raiden are a bit "ehhhhh", but I definitely want Scorpion and Sub Zero.

Has anybody ever made Mortal Kombat figures that weren't crappy and cheap-looking? I've always wanted a classic Scorpion from the original game that doesn't look like poo poo. That one is not doing it for me.

I should probably just make my own. Actually if you repainted that Sub-Zero in yellow he might look about right, but it still doesn't look like a very awesome toy. I think I'd be better off making him out of a Marvel Legends figure or something.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My guess is that the retailers have wised up to the fact that the secondary market makes a killing just buying up their whole stock and reselling it at much higher prices, and they want to cut out the middle man and make that money themselves. 20 bucks for an action figure seems pretty standard on ebay. It's only shocking because the money goes to Toys R Us instead of a scalper. This might actually discourage the practice of scalping and thus make it easier for collectors to buy stuff in stores.

It's still more than I am willing to pay for the poo poo, though. It always was.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I bought a Shepard figure from the Mass Effect 2 line - decent figure, by the way - and I'm going to use the considerable powers at my command to make him look like the one true Shepard... Spaceman Shepard:

I might have to track down a Garrus from wave 2 to be his drinkin' buddy...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Well then I guess he'll need a different drinkin' buddy...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

They really should let you send away for a custom head.

I've given this some thought, and I might be willing to make a few more custom heads for other people who have this figure... if the price is right. Making just a head is easier than making a whole custom figure, it's pretty easy to swap out the head on Shepard, and I'm guessing there are a lot of Mass Effect fans who would prefer a figure that looks like their Shepard. (Too bad they didn't make a female version...)

And as always, I could use more money.

Anybody who likes this idea should try to track down the Shepard action figure (I found one easily at the local mall) and also wait to see how mine turns out. I'm a little doubtful about the included helmet still fitting on him, since the shape of his head will be a little different.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I'm definitely willing to give this a shot if you're serious.

For sure. I like making custom figures but my projects are usually too elaborate and time-consuming to sell at a reasonable price. Since a head sculpt by itself is something I can typically knock out in a couple days, I can do this more than once.

I think I'm pretty close to done with the one I'm making now, but as I've layered more details the head grew slightly larger than I had hoped. Sometimes it's hard to gauge these things. It doesn't look comically bloated or anything, but at this point it looks like the helmet will be a no-go.

I'll try to wrap it up and get pictures in the next day or two.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

All right, I finally finished my Spaceman Shepard action figure.

The thing that makes Spaceman special, and the hardest thing to capture, is the sheer madness in his eyes. Believe me when I say it makes every scene in Mass Effect that much more awesome.

The only alteration I made to the figure aside from making a new head was painting his neck to match. It was originally painted black, probably just to make him look better with the helmet on. The helmet doesn't fit on the new head, though.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I didn't remember who Nico Bellic was so I looked it up and yeah, there's a resemblance.

I didn't have anybody in mind when I created Spaceman, but now if I had to cast him in a movie I'd pick this guy. Not a dead ringer, but he could definitely rock the biker mustache and psycho stare. Great actor, too. I'd cast him in a Mass Effect movie in a heartbeat. And get fired.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

The second set got canceled because it took so long for the first set to get to stores. Bioware was extremely displeased with how DC Direct handled the first series and how long it took for them to come out, so they said "this is bullshit" and pulled the plug on the second series and are currently shopping around for a different manufacturer who won't take like a year and a half to release a set of 4 figures.

So... there is hope for Spaceman's drinkin' buddy after all?? The irony is that while they "shop around" those drat things could probably already be on shelves, since the prototypes have been good to go for months.

P.S. I have begun construction on a renegade Shep-face for DJ Turbo Punch... stay tuned...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Satsuki posted:

That Jake Sully in the background is pretty sweet.

I was just looking at the pictures of this thing on Sideshow's site and it is goddamn crazy: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901006&ref=conhome

I don't collect Hot Toys stuff because I live in poverty, but if I didn't live in poverty I'd consider that one. It's not really that I liked Avatar better than any of the other movies they base their toys on... it's just a way cooler toy. Look at all the little feathers in his hair! I don't think I've ever seen a doll that ridiculously pimped out before.

Plus: "Realistic 1:6 scale, standing approx. 18 inches / 45 cm tall"

What the gently caress, that's awesome.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I finished my custom Shepard head sculpt for DJ Turbo Punch. (I'll have that in the mail for you soon, buddy.)

Here's what his character looks like:

The figure:

The neck doesn't quite match there because I just popped the head onto my own figure for reference. Just for fun, here's a shot of the original head and the two custom heads:

I'm still down to make more of these. It's fun!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

How much...?

Going rate for a Shepard head is 80 bucks. Free shipping. I understand if this is out of anyone's range, but it takes so long that I'm hovering around minimum wage there. I enjoy doing this, but I'm also very poor.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sanschel posted:

The kriegaffe from Mezco's awesome Hellboy comic line could do it, and he even came with a Nazi head in a jar.

I think that was my favorite series of action figures ever. The sculptors did a really amazing job bringing Mignola's art style to life, the articulation was great, the accessories were cool... each one is a little work of art. The ape is definitely the crown jewel, though. That is one seriously awesome ape.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sanschel posted:

Any tips from you modders out there? And if I do go ahead with glue, is there a specific type that's better? I've got some old Loctite super glue I use for broken gaming pieces, but I don't know if there'd be a better brand for a figure like this.

The way I fix broken joints on figures is:

First I make sure the broken part can actually move, which you did. Heating it up tends to be the trick if it's stuck.

Next, I drill a tiny hole dead-center in each half of the broken piece, cut a small length of sturdy wire that's about the same thickness as the tiny hole (this could involve a trip to the hardware store if you don't keep wire and power drills with small bits around), then I krazy-glue it all together. (Krazy glue is the poo poo!) You put glue on one end of the bit of wire, poke it into one side and let it set, then you put glue on the other end and jam the broken part back in place.

Obviously this kind of work takes a lot of precision, so if you're not comfortable with that then you can just try to get a refund. It tends to be very effective, though, and keeps the joint from snapping again. Unless you're dealing with a very large joint that has a ton of surface area, glue by itself tends to be a temporary solution at best.

Oh, you can also use part of a toothpick or a bamboo skewer or something instead of wire, anything small and cylindrical, but obviously that's not as sturdy as a piece of metal.

Here, I even drew a diagram in case these instructions were not clear:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sanschel posted:

On the flip side, I contacted HobbyLink Japan about the broken Revoltech Iron Man and they're going to send me a replacement for free, which is amazingly awesome considering the Mark IV is a Figure Oh! magazine exclusive and about $15 more than the Mark VI. They even told me to keep the broken one, rather than return it. Color me impressed.

...Can I have the broken one? :D

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Snacksmaniac posted:

Holy poo poo it's time to dig out my SF dolls to sell.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing about the Cammy figure I have lying around. I bought it on sale at some point and threw in my box for "figures to customize later." Back when I had money I'd snap up anything reasonably priced that had good articulation and throw it on the scrap heap. Female figures that aren't crap are especially hard to find.

Turns out Cammy doesn't go for big bucks on ebay though, especially not loose, so I guess she stays in the pile.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Toy Biz BAF Sentinel rules and I never cared how much it looked like whatever other version... but that's cool!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

They did really good work on the other MOTU line, the one that got cancelled. I'm not digging the newer stuff at all, though.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

There's always been a split among toy collectors where one side sees them as valuable cultural artifacts that must be preserved as perfectly as possible in their original condition, and the other side is more into the fun of it and thinks it's pointless to own a toy that you don't play with a little bit; that is, at least take it out of the package and pose/display it.

Some people see both sides of it and actually buy two of everything.

Personally, I got into collecting toys because I thought they were so awesome when I was a kid, and I feel like having them around keeps a part of my imagination fresh and helps with my creativity. I used to really trash my toys when I was little, play in the dirt with them, break them and lose them, so I never could relate to the sanctity of the packaging. When I was a teenager I got into customizing toys, and after doing that for long enough I have no qualms about tearing them apart and making alterations. These days I don't have a lot of money so I pretty much only buy toys that I want to use for custom work.

Of course, if something is a real showpiece, I will display it and not gently caress with it. The only toys I've ever left in the packages were a few rare variants of more common figures. I don't tend to seek out that kind of thing but if I happen across it for retail price, I might say what the hell.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

This is kinda unrelated to anything, but a few years ago I hit a Suncoast store that was going out of business (RIP Suncoast, I loved that store) and bought out a ton of super-articulated pro wrestler figures for dirt cheap. Something like a dozen of them. I said to myself, these will be great bases for all kinds of custom superhero figures... aaand I still haven't done anything with any of them. I can't think of any superheroes I really want figures of that I couldn't buy off the shelf easily enough.

Really, it doesn't matter much because I've got no end of half-finished projects already, but I feel like there's so much potential in that forgotten pile of wrestlers...

P.S. I have an incredibly complex custom figure that I've been tinkering with for years that's finally almost done, so expect a ton of photos within a couple weeks. This guy is like my ship in a bottle; an impressive yet effete display of overdedication to an utterly pointless task. I'm pretty stoked.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Okay, I warned you. Photos incoming.

Some of you may remember seeing pics of my custom Earthworm Jim figure. It's probably my favorite toy that I've made. Well, for starters, He has been slightly improved, so I took some new photos. Originally his suit was mostly pale gray with a few darker patches for texture, but I liked the accidental "urban camo" look that emerged, so I repainted him and made that a little more... intentional. I also added more details to his belt/straps:

Well, I'm so fond of Earthworm Jim that I decided I couldn't stop there. I wanted to continue with his supporting cast in the same style. A hero is only as good as his villain, so I first got to work on his arch-nemesis: Psycrow.

This ended up being the most complex custom figure I have ever made, which is saying something. Truth be told, I have been working on him for years. A few times, I got frustrated enough to quit for long stretches, and pretty much every custom figure you guys have ever seen outta me was made during those times. I kept tinkering and tinkering, though, because I needed to see the drat thing through eventually. Finally it is complete.

I made this guy out of an X-Men "Stealth Beast" figure from Toy Biz. He looked like this:

Now he looks like this:

I did a lot of resculpting on the figure's torso, most notably adding a big beer gut, and I sculpted feathers all over his arms. The head and feet were made from scratch (various kinds of sculpey) and his many accessories were largely kitbashed out of random stuff I had lying around. (I still have Stealth Beast's original head lying around, which is apparently sought after by customizers because it's the best sculpt of "kitty head" Beast. Holler at me if you want it, cause I don't.)

I spent longer on this guy's feet than I do on most complete projects, start to finish. I was sculpting those drat feet for like months...

There's tread on the bottoms and everything. I also spent a hell of a long time just painting the feet. The logo on his left knee is a stylized bird skull.

Another thing that took a while was his jetpack. Right before I assembled and painted the whole thing I snapped some pictures:

That oddly-shaped bit of fake leather is how it attaches to his back. It has a bunch of bits of toothpick stuck through it that correspond with a series of holes I drilled in his back. The red arrow is telling me "this end up" so I wouldn't glue it on wrong.

I wanted the jetpack to suggest big furled mechanical wings. The odd fringe on the back of his belt is likewise there in place of tail feathers... It might also help to keep him from burning his rear end with those rocket boosters, right?

Lucky for me, Stealth Beast came with a grappling hook launcher, so I just used that for Psycrow's hook gun thingie. I added a stock to it and an adjustable strap, both pulled from some sort of military doll I had lying around. His utility belt was cobbled together from all kinds of crap. Observe:

I figured it's a good idea for a bird-faced intergalactic bounty hunter to carry a flashlight. Safety first!

Accessories all assembled and painted:

You might notice I abandoned the "head-bubble" altogether. I just could not for the life of me figure out a way to integrate anything like that into this design. I thought about giving him some big crazy goggles or something, but I liked how his eyes turned out and saw no reason to mess with success.

The antenna thing on his shoulder/chest was likewise kitbashed from random objects and bits of wire.

Look out, Jim. There's a new sheriff in town!

I have big plans to keep this series going indefinitely. Now that Psycrow is out of the way, I'm trying to decide what to do next. I've narrowed it down to:

-Princess What's-Her-Name
-Jim's Pocket Rocket
-New Junk City diorama display

Feel free to pester me to finish one of those three things.

Other characters will follow later. Queen Slug-For-A-Butt is going to be last, or near last, because that thing is going to be loving insane.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I am also a pretty huge fan of Earthworm Jim, as you can probably tell. My brother was way more into video games than I was when we were kids. He was the one who would get all the consoles and games, and generally I would just leave him to it and, well, play with toys.

The one Sega Genesis game I actually owned for myself was Earthworm Jim. I really got into that game. I just loved the characters, the art, the sound effects, and the weird humor. It's very near and dear to me, as video games go. Not like Mega Man where I just kinda thought he looked neat.

Anyway, Evil the Cat is definitely high on my list of priorities. I don't have his look fully planned out yet, though. I want him to be less cartoony, but I don't want him to just look like a kitty. I think I'm going to go in a more demonic direction with him. Emphasis on the Evil. The other thing is I can't even picture him without an elaborate Planet Heck base, which will take some doing. I already have a New Junk City diorama in progress, and I want to finish that first.

My plan with the princess is actually to make her look LESS human, and play up the insectoid characteristics. There was a lesser 80's toy line of bug people called Sectaurs that had a design aesthetic that I always liked. That's my big conceptual inspiration for that character.

I'm thinking at this point that it would be easier to make both of those characters entirely from scratch than it would be to try to modify store-bought figures. That generally means a lot less articulation, but it also gives me way more control over the design, and might actually save time in the long run.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Haha, my work area is FAR from clean, but I don't photograph stuff in my work area. I set up a couple of slabs of illustration board in a well-lit room for a ghetto studio look. I'm a film student, so I know how to tell dirty drat lies with a camera. Anyway, thanks!

Fish Of Doom posted:

Nerd of Prey, your EWJ stuff was so cool, I was inspired to make my own Princess What's Her Name.

I went with the more tradition cartoony style for mine. I've only been customizing urban vinyl and warhammer for the last year or so, so thanks for inspiring me to get back into action figures.

That is gorgeous work. Really nice job with the paint. What did you make it out of? Did you use some parts from the old Playmates What's-Her-Name figure? That doesn't look like the same head sculpt...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm jealous. I was big into those super powers toys in my wee youth, and I pretty much played with them until they all fell apart. At some point early in my customizing days I took what was left of my old Superman (as my first and favorite, he was in truly terrible condition) and made a Super Powers "Kingdom Come" Superman. Pretty primitive compared to what I do nowadays, but if I can find it I'll take a picture for laughs.

Edit: That was easy, he was in the first place I checked. I cringe now at this lovely paint job:

If anybody is super psyched about the idea of a Super Powers style Kingdom Come Supes, I would be willing to repaint and sell it. Or just sell it as-is if you don't give a poo poo about huge ugly brush strokes everywhere. Basically I have no special attachment to this guy, is my point.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 14, 2011

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The '89 Batmobile really was a work of art. If I actually had disposable income I'd be all over that.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I don't think they really give a poo poo unless you're selling hundreds of them in some flagrant, public way. People sell resin casts of action figure parts on the internet all the time. I don't think you risk much if you hook a few goons up.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Beanpants posted:

That playset is loving awesome. I would have flipped my wig if I had one of those for my turtles as a kid.

That was exactly the reaction I had. I used to build elaborate sewer playsets out of cardboard boxes when I was a kid - I always was into custom-building stuff - but I still woulda flipped out for something that fancy.

I don't see adult me owning the playset at any point, just too drat big, but I might throw down for some of the new turtles. I really like the design of the non-cartoony ones, personally. I guess they're all cartoony but you know what I mean.

This is unrelated to anything, but i finally sprang for that MOTUC Battle Cat. I got a good deal on Amazon, so I didn't have to debase myself by giving mattycollector my credit card info.

In other totally unrelated news, I decided to make my own Superman action figure. I don't have the kind of cash to buy the Hot Toys movie one any time soon, and I keep being disappointed in off-the-shelf Superman figures. They all seem to have really weird faces, kinda badly-placed articulation and those rubber capes that look stupid unless you pose them just so. Nothing quite lives up to the memory of the Super Powers figure that I played with until the paint was mostly gone and the arms fell off. I am fond of the DC Direct 13" figure, but there's a certain fun factor that little pocket-sized toys have that big fancy display pieces don't.

I'm making it out of one of the dozen or so super-articulated wrestler figures I bought dirt cheap a couple years ago. The work is going very quickly, at least by my standards, so I'm sure I'll be able to show it off soon.

Quick work-in-progress pic:

The wrestler figure was a good base, easy to work with, but I started by bulking out his shoulders a little, covering the holes where some of the joints are, plus filling in some of the space between the muscles so he'll look a little more like he is wearing clothes. I'm not really going for a pure movie look... but closer to that than most comic-styled figures.

If this turns out really well I'll probably try making another wrestler into an Animated Series style Batman.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I think that's Manga Spawn or Cyber Manga Spawn or something like that. They got all obsessed with anime for a while and made giant robot versions of a lot of Spawn characters. Some of them were kinda neat, though. I think I have that guy in a box somewhere.

Edit: No, I was wrong, I have this guy.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 5, 2012

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Has there ever been a kid who actually wanted an orange Batman? Like instead of a regular Batman or even in addition to one? Certainly when I was little I just wanted the toy that looked like the character on TV. I remember being frustrated that it was so hard to find the original He-Man, because I broke mine when I was like 4 and I wanted a new one, but the only He-Man figures in stores were these lovely alternate versions. When my parents managed to track one down, it was the best day ever!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The McFarlane Alien Queen and Hicks were not bad, but not perfect. I'll be interested to see what NECA does.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Hicks is awesome, and the Queen is visually impressive, but the Queen is also really not at all screen-accurate.

I had the same reaction to the Queen. It's a really imposing figure and nicely put together, but it's sort of an "interpretation" of the monster from the movie. Anatomically I think Kenner's "Queen Hive Playset" from the 90's was closer to the mark. (That was one of my favorite toys of all time!)

Have they shown any sign of maybe making a Ripley with a Power Loader?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Speaking of giant robots...

I have this ancient, battered Robotech robot lying around, a relic of my early childhood. I never watched the show, but I loved that toy when I was little.

Pictured here alongside a reissue of the same figure that Playmates did in the 90's:

I've been thinking it might be a fun little project to take that old beat-up robot apart, clean it up, putty over all the screw holes, maybe add some extra articulation to the arms and legs if it's not too hard, and then give it a sweet paint job inspired by the World War Robot figures, with lots of subtle weathering.

It would be cool to take this old piece of junk and turn it into a real display piece.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I don't think I want to mess with the reissue one, since it's still in pretty good shape.

It's interesting though, seeing a picture of a nicer model of that Robotech robot. As I said, I was not familiar with the show so I just know it as this random toy I had. It doesn't really represent anything to me, so I was going to get creative with the paint job.

I was thinking I might add extra guns to it or something if I find cool spare parts lying around. The red thing on the front opens up to reveal a big cannon, which is pretty rad.

I managed to remove a lot of the screws from it, but the rest are so rusty they strip instantly under the slightest torque. Hopefully they will be easy to drill out...

There was the remains of a tiny spider inside one of its arms... Probably been there since the early 80's.

Edit: Here's what it looks like disassembled. I put the screws / pieces of drilled-out screws in there so you could see how many of them it took to hold that thing together. I'm going to throw them all out and use glue.

Reminds me of when I used to build model kits. This should be fun!

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 20, 2012

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I was a HUGE Voltron fan as a kid but I don't understand the appeal of this new one at all. It doesn't look very good and the gimmicky play features are annoying. The Masterpiece Edition Voltron from a couple years ago was a LOT cooler.

Me, I picked up the Trendmasters reissue in 1998 and checked "get a Voltron" off my lifetime to-do list.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Another custom figure finished. Marmek, goblin warrior.

This is a companion piece for the elaborate troll rogue I made a few years ago. It was pretty popular on the internet. I never really intended to do any more WoW figures but I decided goblins are cool so I went for it. I barely even touch that game anymore...

Here's a simple diagram that explains how I put this little dude together:

I used a few leftover parts from the same X-Men Nightcrawler figure whose hands and feet I used (well, heavily altered) for that troll. It's nice putting spare parts to good use.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Jace Madan posted:

I picked up the Leo and Raph figures based on the new show, and they are great. I love the cool skin texturing, and they have just the right smount of articulation.

I picked up the four turtle bros the other day (first action figures I've bought in ages) and they are really awesome little toys. My favorite thing about them is they don't all have the same build; Leonardo looks athletic, Donatello is tall and skinny, Raphael is squat and burly, and Michelangelo is just a little guy. It's subtle - you wouldn't necessarily notice it looking at them individually, but you line them up and there's some nice variation. The sculpting on all four is excellent, articulation is decent, colors are well-chosen... I'm just really impressed with the overall design aesthetic.

My only complaint is that Mike's nunchucks are made out of a rigid plastic where the chain won't flex at all without breaking, so display options are limited and you can't stow them properly on his belt. Otherwise the accessories are really impressive for all of them. Like Leo's offhand sword is slightly smaller, and Raph can hold a sai in several different positions. The little snap-off weapon racks included with each are a nice callback to the original figures.

These guys aren't like museum quality $200 collector's items or anything but they're fun as hell and you just wanna play with 'em. It's toys like these that make me love toys.

P.S. I was not impressed with any of the supporting characters / villains. Shredder was such a goddamn turd I'm surprised he came from the same line. Splinter looked kinda OK I guess, but I'm just gonna stick to the four turtles.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Speaking of kicking yourself, I don't buy a ton of toys these days but I was wandering aimlessly in Target and spied a really nice-looking "Clone Wars" style Anakin Skywalker and bought it on a whim. I like that Clone Wars series a lot but never had big plans to collect a ton of the figures. Anyway I saw the Anakin and I thought, that's cool, I'll just have to find an Ahsoka Tano figure to sit next to him on my DVD shelf. Preferably the older version with two lightsabers and the more detailed outfit. One more figure and done. No need to get the whole supporting cast...

I did some basic googling and found out that figure exists, is pretty cool, and is one of the rarest and most sought-after toys in that line and goes for at least 80 bucks if you can even track one down. For a loving 3 inch tall toy. Too bad I wasn't looking for it in 2011 when it might have been possible to find one. Other versions exist, but are distinctly less cool. It's weird because she's for all intents and purposes the main character of that show. It's like if Batman was the hardest figure to find in a Batman toy line.

Maybe they'll reissue it at some point before the line gets canceled. Otherwise it seems my collection of exactly one figure is gonna stay that way.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Rage posted:

The thing about that specific Ahsoka figure is it was released in one case wave, one per case. It was literally impossible to find. Now it is getting a second release in the Vintage line (black cards) sometime this year, but it's gonna be one of those figures you have to hurt for. Keep an eye on BBTS and HTS for when the wave starts coming out to start checking retailers.

There are "vintage" ones all over ebay but it's not actually the same figure, it's resculpted in a "realistic" style. It's made to go with the standard Star Wars movie toys and doesn't fit with other Clone Wars stuff at all.

I'll keep my eye out for some kind of reissue of the one I like, but I don't want to waste too much mental effort on it. Maybe in the future more loose ones will pop up on ebay. So far I've only seen one, and it was still out of my price range. If a year from now I haven't found one, I'll probably just settle for some easy-to-find version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Ka0 posted:

Old stuff keeps for ages in stores where I live, I'll keep an eye out for that figure, I don't collect star wars stuff but it shouldn't be a problem.

Just so there's no ambiguity, that figure is numbered "CW44." If anybody here gets ahold of one and is willing to sell it relatively cheap, that would be rad. I think the absolute upper limit of what I'd pay for a small figure like this is around 20 bucks, but I also don't care if it's carded.