Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
I'll buy them when they hit the 50 cent clearance bins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

See how stupid I am. I thought they made ML sized GI Joes while I wasn't looking.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Grem posted:

I have a DCUC Orion but only a DC Direct regularly Superman, give me a few days to get everything together and I'll get back to you about prices, etc

post them in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2947000&pagenumber=20#lastpost

I'm notoriously cheap myself but I'd probably be interested in a good number of your figures.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Didn't someone do made to order custom muggs?

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

That was probably me. I made like around 10 for people around Christmas after everyone saw the secret santa gift I did.

still doing it? charge?

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Beanpants posted:

Nope. When Legends first started, it was a 5.99-6.99 line, and that carried through up until the later BAF waves of toy biz, and spiked when Hasbro took over.

Yeah, I think I got the whole galactus wave for 6.83 a piece.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Just found some dc infinite hero 3 packs for sale for 5 bucks a pack at ross for less. I thought it was a pretty good deal for 3 figures less than 1 of them normally costs. I wasn't interested in the 3 inch line initially and haven't opened these yet, but they do look pretty cool. Probably could do some cool army builders if some of those bigger sets price out like this.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Ogmios posted:

Awesome, which 3 packs did they have?

Lex luthor w/ 2 lexcorp troopers; green lantern, black canary, and green arrow; and starfire capt. boomberang, and raven.

Starfires face is the only one that really looks kind of funky to me.

Edit: If someone finds those hawkman 3 packs I'd like to pick up a few of those.

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 11, 2009

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Satsuki posted:

That is a pretty sweet Mugg.

Also I ordered Hordak today off Matty ... sold out in an hour.

crap. forgot all about that. I really want that one.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

apparantly the going rate on anti-monitor points is about 50 cents per. So, those 5 dollar 3 packs just got turned into 2.50 3 packs. Might want to unload if you have any before sdcc.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Djarum posted:

I am kinda surprised they are selling them only online. Last time I checked the Movie Masters stuff did really well at retail. Hell, the Batman stuff at my store STILL is doing really well.

They were discounted at walmart to 5 bucks a piece and then liquidated to tj max.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

The Rage posted:

Thats sad, I bought Batman, Joker, and Scarecrow. Kept checking every time I'd walk by them too to see if I could get ahold of the variants. Anyone know when they're going to go up on Matty?

Oh yeah. I still want a fear toxin batman. Wondering if I should order that loose one on ebay from the phillipines.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

The Rage posted:

So I was wandering down the toy isle at Wal-Mart today and came across the Maskless Batman Beyond figure from Wave 4 of DCUC. It was on pegs with a ton of Wave 7, so for some reason they may be packing him with that wave. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Yeah. I got one like that too. Weird.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

I inflate my shipping to try to offset the huge rear end fees I have to pay to ebay/paypal when I sell there. I don't see a problem with that. You see what the shipping charge is before you buy it so bitching about it seems silly. (not that I charge 12 bucks to ship a loose figure, but 5 or 6 sounds fair.)

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

dj posted:

See if you are selling things that you don't think you are going to get enough to offset the fees, just don't sell it. You are part of the problem. It is not my responsibility to pay for your fees. You should either put those fees into your Buy It Now/reserve price or not sell it. It is frankly deceptive to do that and if a actual retailer tried to pull something like that it would be outright fraud. Granted 5 bucks is much better than most dickass scalpers. Really I want to kill every fat loving worthless scalper on the planet. They are the reason why you can't find anything worthwhile.

Xenomrph posted:

....but none of that has anything to do with what he just said. Marking up shipping IS deceptive and ISN'T right - you should be making up your fees by increasing the cost of the item itself, not by artificially inflating the shipping.

See, I just don't understand this line of thinking. Why does it matter where a seller makes up the fees? If you are going to buy an item, you see it for the price + shipping as what you are paying. What difference does it make if someone charges you 10 dollars with free shipping or 1 dollar plus 9 dollars shipping? (except that ebay doesn't make as much money from the 1 dollar one?)

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 8, 2009

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

It is funny because I was on the other end of the scalper debate last time it reared its head through here. (I got my avatar after I bought one for some guy hawking his toy website that was selling HML thors for 55 bucks and I called him a scalper).

In any case, scalpers are *not* the problem. People stupid enough to pay scalper prices are the problem. You saw this back when star wars toys were coming out, when they first came out, huge demand for certain figures inflated the price, but they slowly fell back down. Same with the movie masters jokers. Those guys were up to $100 bucks last year. Now stores are selling them for 3 bucks.

Deadpool was a legitimately short run figure, and that has more to do with Toy biz than the secondary {scalper) market.

I am not without sin, because when I saw crossbones going for 40 bucks, a few months ago, I said, you aren't worth 40 bucks to me and sold mine on ebay for that.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Wait what the hell? Yes they are the problem. :psyduck: If scalpers buy up all the stock in the store and now people have no option but to buy from the scalpers because the items aren't in the stores, then yes the scalpers created the problem.

How can you even say something that retarded? :confused:

Edit-- like Djarum said, there's all sorts of figures on eBay for inflated prices that aren't selling because the scalpers picked them up, marked up the price, and people aren't stupid enough to pay scalper prices. That doesn't solve the problem of the figures not being on the shelves since the scalpers bought them all up and created an artificial shortage.

I fully planned on not getting the Dead Space SDCC exclusive figure because I knew I wasn't going to pay scalper prices. Seeing it for flat retail on Amazon.com made it a no-brainer, though.
Likewise, I got the SDCC GI Joe Baroness figure straight from Hasbro's website for flat retail. If I didn't have that option, well, I wasn't going to go pay scalper prices; I'd have just grumbled about scalpers and not gotten the figure.

That doesn't change the fact that the scalpers created the problem in the first place by buying up all the stock. Seriously how can you not understand this

because if people don't pay the scalper prices the scalper has a lot of unused stock which will eventually go to a reasonable price

See: any star wars toy made past 1995, MM joker, etc. If you can't wait to fuel your need for a certain piece of plastic, keep feeding the scalper money train.

Edit to your edit: So, again, the scalpers aren't the problem, the fact that there was a market for them to make money was. If that is drying up, all the better.

EDIT2 Holy jesus there would not be a scalper problem if people wouldn't buy from them. They would not buy up all the stock hoping to make a profit. It is circular, but it starts and ends with the consumer.

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 8, 2009

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Djarum posted:

Amen! Most of my favorite stuff has come from people on here, including Bushifox ;) and all of it for very, very fair prices. This place is a rarity and sadly none of us has everything.

On a side note my Target put out almost a entire isle of GI Joe movie figures and it seems like not a single one has sold. Those figures and the movie I got a feeling are going to go over worse than pretty much anything.

More amazing is that all the of Terminator and Star Trek stuff is gone completely. Kinda surprising since they were only released a few months ago.

My targets were clearancing the hell out of terminator and star trek lines.

I don't need to inflate my shipping costs on sa-mart because NYCtatto hasn't started charging fees yet.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

And we're all pals here. I found a Black Lightning at Wal-mart and sold it to some goon for cost + shipping, even though it goes for ~$60 on ebay. We all gotta help each other out, maaaaaan.

Because of SA and Fwoosh, I haven't bought anything toy-related from ebay in like a year.

For the most part Hasbro and Mattel have been much better about distribution so we don't have to resort to ebay. All these drat retailer exclusives seem to be driving the scalper market.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

1. No, but that's irrelevant.

2. I'd go with the "honest" one, and report the excessive shipping one to ebay.

I don't see how free shipping is any less deceptive. Just becuase it "sounds" better to the customer. And, if you are really "retarded" enough to pay a premium because it sounds more "honest" to you...it seems you have your priorities mixed up.

Since you people realize that many of the people that do sell on ebay are just regular people and not crazy scalpers/money grubbing bastards trying to cheat you out of your money, why can you not just add up the price + shipping into one number (as you can see both numbers when you are browsing ebay) and realize that is the price of the figure? It will save you heartache and the apparent coronary you are having over a couple of dollars over postage price.

xeno posted:

Yes, but saying that that situation is somehow your fault because you're willing to pay that price or the retailer's fault for not offering enough supply (as opposed to, you know, the scalper's fault for creating the problem in the first place) is retarded.

You obviously understand economics and capitalism enough to know that "fault" can be placed in all of the corners and that someone disagreeing with the "root" of the problem doesn't make them retarded.

Your passion for paying exact postage amounts (even though paypal still charges a 3% fee on the shipping) and paying exact retail have moved me in such a way that if I sell anything on ebay, I will do it for exact retail and exact shipping costs, be damned with losing money or actually making a profit. Why should the seller make any extra money when ebay should be having more fees.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Travis343 posted:

:downsbravo: Way to miss the point. Screw this, if you people aren't even going to try to respond without being utter dicks, i'm done with this conversation.

Hey, I understand your point. Xeno has called me retarded twice now so I apologize for my dickishness, but come on. I'm obviously not responding to you but to xeno's dickishness.

As far as ebay, I'm not a power seller, I don't have a store. I sell some stuff every now and again, normally to fund whatever little bit of collecting I'm into at the moment. If someone is pissed that I charge a couple dollars extra for shipping, I really don't care if they don't buy from me again or even that first time, because odds are someone will buy it if it is "in demand". My shipping charges aren't outrageous, but when I buy something from ebay, I look for the lowest total cost and account that into what I'm willing to pay, and don't worry that the shipping label is different than the arbitrary number I paid.

I've bought stuff that was charged 5 bucks shipping and it came with a big 75 cent postage charge on it, and it gets my goat for a minute, but, hey, I paid this guy less than the guy that was charging a dollar shipping so really I can't complain.

We aren't all trust fund babies like xeno that can afford to pay a premium on so called honesty.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Are you kidding? The root of the problem isn't even debatable. The scalpers bought the items off the shelf with the explicit intention of marking them up, with complete disregard for if buyers would pay that marked-up price. As Djarum pointed out, many times people aren't willing to pay the marked-up price, and so now the scalpers are forced to lower the price just to move the product.

The scalpers buying up all the product in the first place is the obvious root cause of the scalper problem. Sure the buyers could wait for the scalpers to lower their prices, but the only reason they have to is because the scalpers bought up all the stuff in the first place and marked it up. Seriously, it's not that complex.

I'm not saying there aren't other factors in the economics of scalping - yes, the buyers being willing to pay those prices plays a factor, as does the distributor not offering enough supply - but the primary root cause is the scalpers themselves initiating the process out of sheer greed. Altering the other factors could mitigate scalping, but the one sure-fire way to stop it cold is for scalpers to not be douchebags and put people in a situation where buyers have to buy from scalpers because they bought up all the stock (or not buy at all).

If there were no market for what the scalpers do, there would be no scalpers. As far as waiting, I didn't mean for scalpers to lower their prices, I meant like the movie masters joker, or people that spend premiums on figures that are released in one part of the country but not yet in another and hadn't made it to retail. Those things will become available, just wait.

The "scalpers" are not a big cabal that intentionally buys up everything to resell it. Generally it seems they go after the short packed figures, or something they think they can make a profit on. So obviously it is debatable because I don't agree with you. As long as people are willing to pay scalper prices for items, there will be scalpers. Your sure fire way to stop scalpers doesn't sound very sure fire. I think mine sounds much more logical: Don't buy from them.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

edit-- gently caress it, this derail is retarded. Scalpers are dumb, scalper apologists are almost as dumb, whatever.

In other news, my SDCC Dead Space figure came in the mail today, it's pretty righteous.

I'm not even an apologist as I don't like them either. We are arguing over semantics really.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Just rip them open like a true opener.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Donde Esta posted:

Ah, I would call up Mattel and tell them it broke out of package/shortly after barely posing it. As long as he wasn't throwing it against the wall, they'll usually send you a rebate. It helps to have the package/insert too.

I don't know about mattel, but Hasbro can be hit or miss. They are good about sending you a mailing label for you to send stuff back to them, but sometimes they send "what is available" and not the same thing you have.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Sanschel posted:

That is a super creepy rape face.

Then they got it right I guess.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Hey, I found a Power Girl at my Wal Mart here in Des Moines. So we do have the next wave, it's just being put out as we sell the last wave. And I can't just go find the figures I want in the back since they are all cross referenced with the 4 or 5 boxes of the old wave and totally buried under christmas poo poo.

I just want a beast boy now for my teen titans squad.

They had power girl at my walmart too, and only a few cyborgs and captain colds otherwise. They also have about 5 punishers from the ML nemesis wave. What kind of packing is that?

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

Alright. Even though he's a naked blond guy wearing only cutoffs, be doesn't have a giant codpiece and police mustache like Vartox.

Also, whoever hasn't jumped aboard the Kamandi Bandwagon, AFP is making sure you do

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2009/11/kamandi-the-learn-to-love-him-article-i-did-and-you-can-too

Nope, didn't help.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Pleatherface posted:

What do people think of Minimates in this forum? Are they generally cheered or jeered?

http://www.bushifox.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/spideybank.jpg
http://www.bushifox.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/miniunor.jpg
http://www.bushifox.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/batmanmini.jpg
http://www.bushifox.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/HPIM2466.jpg

I love minimates, still have a lot to open and a lot more to collect, also got the zomebies hanging around somewhere.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Found a manbat today. Now I only need a joker to complete the ones I want from that wave. Also, walmart has the rest of their ares wave at half price. Lots of iron men, war machines, and scarlet spiders if anyone wants one.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

I've been pillaging bigbadtoystore of their minimates and assorted other clearance stuff. less than a dollar per minimate seems like a good deal to me.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

16 bucks for a DC universe figure at walmart now. I think I'll be done with those for a bit unless they start clearancing them. Inflation can't be that bad.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

What is that poo poo? Half of those figures are wrong.

someone repackeged it and returned it.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

stupid ugly retard posted:

do you have any sources on this?

Didn't he have some kind of association with Mattel? He told us that Gentleman Ghost would be widely available before he found out they were short packed if I remember correctly.

Edit: this guy seems to have sold quite a few of them on ebay for 30 bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-Universe-13-...=item20b12b9dc5

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 28, 2010

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Sleeper Pimp posted:

I am going to sell off a huge lot of my action figures that are collecting dust in my garage. The problem is I don't know the best place to put them up at. It's mostly loose Marvel Legends, some of the earlier Revoltech figures and a few misc figures. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Yeah. always give us first crack.

Also, I think that she-ra figure coming out tommorow means I'll be making my first mattycollector purchase. What time do these normally come out?

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 15, 2010

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

The Rage posted:

10 minutes till sale time.

been stuck on the high traffic screen for 20 minutes now.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

jesus. 20 minutes on processing the order to come back with out of stock. Nice.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

Welcome to every month at Matty Collector. I'm so glad I don't collect MOTU, or I would probably have just killed myself by now.

Anyone who ordered the DCUC wave 5 going to have an extra metallo left arm? I can't justify paying $80 for an arm.

Yeah. I'm kind of glad now though because really, paying more than 25 bucks for a figure is a bit much. Maybe I'll find someone to trade me a she-ra or something. Her and evil-lyn are really the only two I want. (and an aurora would be nice too I guess).

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

50 bucks is actually affordable. 10 bucks a figure + free star. don't guess anyone wants to get me one from sdcc eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Not really. I have a few shelf squatters that have been marked 1/2 off for months and nobody wants them.

Which ones and how much is half off?