Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Consider my mind blown, Shocker toys actually released something.

http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=24415

That, Duke Nukem Forever, and Chinese Democracy were the trifecta of things that once all released will bring about the end of the world. We're only one away now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

I'll believe it when I have one in my hands. I wouldn't mind having a couple of Iszs though. I only got one that came with my old McFarlane Maxx figure. He needs many to fight in the Outback!

Well it took almost two years to get them in the packaging, it will probably take another two years to get them on the shelves.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Some stuff is already coming in regarding NYCC. There's a brief review of the new 3.75" Marvel figures, and...well...

quote:

Now my innitial, gut wrenching reaction to these pictures is..shoddy paints and a soft sculpt. Hasbro is going to have to explore Star Wars level details before I consider 9 dollars an acceptable price for smaller than Marvel Legends sized figures.

http://www.action-figure.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=24420

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

And the 4 inch line is looking like it is going to go over like a lead balloon. I have never seen collectors outright hostile towards a toyline. I haven't seen anyone give it any actual praise. The best I have seen is some lackluster reviews. Hasbro can't really be that much out of the loop and thinking this line is going to be a success?

What honestly blows my mind is that the MSRP is $8.99! Holy loving christ! I don't think there's any circumstance where I would pay nine dollars for a poorly painted tiny figure of a character who's had infinitely better figures made of it. DCUC is $8.99 at Target right now, and those are arguably the best mass retail toy line currently on the market.

There goes your collector market. $9 is also steep for kids too, especially since all you get for $9 is one figure. DC's smaller figures are $5, and kids could buy almost 2 of those for every one Marvel 4" scale figure.

And Hasbro can absolutely be out of the loop. The reason the Indiana Jones toy line died is 80% Hasbro's fault. Until the end, they still swore that Shia Lebouf figures were big sellers. People were telling them otherwise in every Q&A, and they kept denying it. Now I go to Wal-mart and that one figure with the snake is all that's left on the pegs. People won't even pay $2 for that figure. Instead the figures that people want like the last crusade and temple of doom waves, were all only 1 figure per case.

Hasbro really can be as dumb as you think.

Edit: http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=1926
Fuuuuck, I could probably paint it better than that.

Also, haha, the new Movie Masters packaging sucks
http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=565

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 4, 2009

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Satsuki posted:

Because you are looking at NYCC 2008 pictures.

Wow, I didn't even realize that. People on another board were posting pictures of it and I guess I thought it was real and didn't even bother to check.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I don't think this was posted in the last thread, but here's the lineup of DCUC series 9

Black Adam
Black Canary
Guardian
Deadshot
Green Arrow
Mantis
Wildcat
BAF: Chemo

Mantis is about as obscure as they come, and I'm hoping for Chemo to be glow in the dark or some sort of translucent green material.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 6, 2009

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

I'm calling bullshit on that wave, as cool as it is. DC's Collect and Connect figures are made from five pieces, which means five main figures with variants. Those are seven separate characters, none seem like plausible variants of another.

Sucks, because that is a neat lineup.

Why? Series 8 has 7 figures not including varients. Mattel said they were adding more than 5 to each series.

The series 8 BAF Giganta is apparently going to be huge, like bigger than Grundy huge, so they may split it up into more parts than 5. If Chemo's that big, it's probably the same.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

How'd you guys miss this?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

I'm calling bullshit on that wave, as cool as it is. DC's Collect and Connect figures are made from five pieces, which means five main figures with variants. Those are seven separate characters, none seem like plausible variants of another.

Sucks, because that is a neat lineup.

Oh hey, suck it.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=09_NYCC%2FMattel%2FDC_Panel&start=20

Wildcat and Mantis are the ones with varients. It seems their BAFs are 6 pieces now (probably made the head a separate piece from the body), and the one A list hero (Green Arrow) will come with a display base.

Also, holy poo poo, look at that 30" anti monitor figure. Looks to be some sort of mail away promotion.

And this guy is too awesome. I don't care for half of the characters in that set, but I may get them just for Chemo

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 7, 2009

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hey, anybody who has the Watchmen figures, there's this little piece that comes with Rorschach (and maybe the others, haven't opened them yet) that looks like a 2 cm long parallelogram and I can't figure out what the hell it's for. It must have something to do with the base that he comes with, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Help?

I think it's for attaching all of the bases together.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Goddamn, Mattel.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

Fuuuuuuck... Please tell me that is Movie Masters. If so my Joker is getting a new head.

Yeah, that's apparently wave 5's "Jail Cell Joker"

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Jet Ready Go posted:

Haha, that's so depressing. We'll never have ML sized figures of any of those.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Donde Esta posted:

Have they been on the back of the figures or at the conventions?

They come with the 3.75" figures, I believe.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Jet Ready Go posted:

LOL.. yeah the paint app may not look as polished but the movie masters joker actually has a brilliantly sculpted face.. and with a little paint job can look pretty good.

At least to me.. :/ With my unprofessional painting hands..

The paint job is what killed it. Here's what I did to mine

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

I'll state it again, this line is going to be a huge failure for Hasbro.

Haha! This loving line, I tell you...

Were Toybiz's superhero showdown figures this terribly painted, I can't remember?

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 13, 2009

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

I don't think there is a "official" one as far as I know. Those that I have seen/bought are:

"Taters of the Lost Ark" (Indiana Jones and a little playset that makes noise. My favorite!)
Spider-Spud/Peter Tater (Spider-Man / Peter Parker)
Darth Tater (Darth Vader)
Spud Trooper (Storm Trooper)
R2-POTATOO (R2-D2)
Optimash Prime (Movie Optimus Prime)

There are also Boba Fett, Darth Maul, Princess Leia, and Luke Skywalker potatoes.

Xenomrph posted:

Rebelscum.com has pics of 2009 Star Wars stuff. God damnit, between Star Wars and Transformers poo poo, hasbro is gonna get a LOT of money from me. :cry:

I've got THREE weaknesses when it comes to 3 3/4" Star Wars figures:
- rebel pilots
- astromech droids (like, R2-D2, those kind)
- expanded universe characters (well, most of them)

So with these new figures we're getting a shitload of all of those. Hell, we're getting not only a Kyle Katarn figure (player character from the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games) but an HK-47 figure. Oh yeah, and Corran Horn (with his astromech, no less).

I'm psyched about the Rancor 3.75" rerelease, I never got it the first time it came out and didn't like the tattooed one. Plus this one looks like it has a better paint job.

So many EU guys, I don't recognise half of them. Am I wrong in wanting new versions of most of the Shadows of the Empire guys? We got Xizor earlier this year, but I want a new version of Dash.

edit: I don't even collect these, but this is so awesome I may get him.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 16, 2009

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

They're making a new Epic Duels board game? That's great, the first one was awesome.

gently caress yes it was. My friends and I still play it, and Darth Maul is still the best deck in the game. This will be great as an expansion to the original.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Stage of History posted:

Well which one of you guys was this. This is the strangest message I've ever recieved on eBay, selling an extra Hulk figure.

Note I didn't have half of those even listen in quanities of one.

On a side note, anyone finding the DCUC wave 7 case with the rereleases? or DCUC 5 for that matter ;(

My Wal-Mart has like 10 Riddlers, and maybe an Amazo or two. I was going to pick one up for someone on another board. You want one, too?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Stage of History posted:

Thanks for the offer but I'm broke until some auctions end unless there's something you'd want in trade.

I'll trade either Amazo or Riddler for a Killer Moth if you still have one.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Anyone who was hoping Hasbro would drop the Marvel license, you'll have to wait another 8 years.

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?itemid=12001

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Hot toys is now going the route of hasbro's Star Wars line. The characters who get 2 seconds of screen time are the most wanted.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I got a call from my Local Comic Store saying they're getting series 2 of the Watchmen figures in on Wednesday. That was certainly fast. Regardless, I'm psyched to get a Comedian and Dr. Manhattan.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Rage posted:

Found wave 7 of DCUC tonight at my local TRU. Had Flash, Kid Flash, Big Barda and the Batman and Green Lantern from the previous waves that didn't come with parts. No Aqua Man or Blue Beetle though.

Blue Beetle, Aquaman, and Booster Gold come out in the second shipments.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

bairfanx posted:

gently caress. There just went a pile of cash. I assume it's a Ted Blue Beetle, right?

For some reason Wave 7 was split into 2 parts.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Action Man posted:

I haven't seen a new DCUC or Marvel Legend since loving Christmas in The Target and Walmart by my house. It's driving me up the drat wall.

My local Target is pretty similar in that they will stock absolutely nothing new between the months of January and April. The isles are pretty barren from the christmas rush, and they probably won't care until May.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Donde Esta posted:

So since I've decided that the mini-Deadpool isn't up to par with what I want, I'm going to attempt a custom.

Right now for a base, I think I'm going to attempt to get a ML Moon Knight for the body, and maybe a Walmart 2-Pack Cable for the pouchy legs and guns. Not going for complete accuracy, but I thought the it might be less wasteful and slightly than just getting a Domino for the accessories and attatching them.

Does anyone with experience know if that sounds like it would be feasible?

I've done numerous custom figures, and I can tell you that Marvel Legends are pretty easy to mix and match parts with, especially something as easy as doing a leg swap at the thighs.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

z0rschach posted:

Yea post em theres a scant few DCUC figs I need, but I might be able to take some off your hands.

Just adding to the interest. There's a select few I need like Two Face, Batman Beyond, or Artemis.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

Vallejo Game Color, Testors Model Master Acryl, Game Workshop, Taiyma Arcylic Color are all fantastic paints.

I just have to emphasize how good Citadel Paint from Games Workshop are. Brilliant colors, smooth texture, fast drying. They're a tad pricey and a bit hard to find (ie not at Hobby Lobby), but they're the best figure paints I've ever used.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

^^Haha, that's so hosed

Prototypes from wave 2 of the 5" Mario vinyl figures have been released. I like that scale better, so I'm glad they're continuing it as well. I'm psyched about Wario and Peach

Are the new Marvel Universe figures not moving in anyone else's part of the country? The pegs at Wal-Mart have been full for a few weeks now, just collecting dust. Hopefully they'll go the way of the Indiana Jones line and they'll knock the price down over the summer. I'd pick up a few for $5 each, but $8.50 is absurd.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Bushifox posted:

Didn't someone do made to order custom muggs?

That was probably me. I made like around 10 for people around Christmas after everyone saw the secret santa gift I did.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Bushifox posted:

still doing it? charge?

It honestly comes down to the character you want and how much detail there is and if I have to sculpt any extra parts.

Example: Joker, Harley, and Bowser would be a bit more since they have a lot of small intricate detail (Joker) or have custom sculpted stuff (Harley's hat, Bowser's spikes).

Whereas something like the Invincible I did for Elijya would be cheaper since it's only a simple paint job with no tiny detail

Also if it's a really obscure character or one with different costumes, it'd be awesome to provide me with a reference picture or two. I don't know the Marvel Universe that well except for the main guys. Elijya had to provide with stuff about the Crusader I did because not even GIS returned anything.

Name who you want and I'll quote you a price.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Satch posted:

I'm jealous, can't find anything at my local wal mart.

But I am slightly sated by the Optimus Prime mugg I got at target.

Tell me about it. My Walmart hasn't stocked any DCUC since wave 5 back in october. All that's left is 1 lonely Riddler sitting on the pegs.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

RusteJuxx posted:

If you'd be up for any extra orders I'd love an Invincible custom and a Molly Hayes from Runaways.

Man, I still need to read Runaways.

I'm always up for more orders. For Invincible, would you want something similar to the one I made for Elijya or would you want it different like his newer costume or less crazy hair or whatever?

For Molly, would it be absolutely imperative that the hat be removable? A lot of her hats are tight to her head and if it isn't removable, I could just sculpt extras onto it. Like the Pom Pom or bunny hats, I could just add the dangling pom poms or ears. With her, it'd be great to also have the specific attire, like pink hoodie or white tanktop or what.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

DCUC Comiccon exclusive...Wonder Twins?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Not that it's a surprise, but Hasbro has said there will be no Marvel Legends exclusive, but there will be 3 MU and a mighty mugg.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Satch posted:

The mighty mugg exclusive is the wolverine with retractable claws, right?

I hadn't heard of that. That's cool. There were rumors that it would be Deadpool, which would make the one I did for you obsolete.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I think with all the delays a lot of people are jumping to the conclusion that they're a shady company, but my guess is they're just in way over their heads with this line and probably all hyperventilating about it on a daily basis...

I think they want to be awesome, but they really have no idea what they're doing.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The T-1 looks kinda cool, but man is that T-600 one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

You guys are lucky, I still haven't seen wave 7 anywhere. I'd really like that Barda.

I hope wave 8 isn't hard to find, there's way too much awesome. Especially since Gentleman Ghost comes with an inch tall Atom.