Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

Ren and Stimpy was a fantastic line, and Sesame Street was looking like it'd be very good.

I think a lack of QC towards the end (Super Beaker and AOD were nightmares), being way too creative (the glut of stupid in house stuff like the urbanized anthropomorphic animals; AOD Series 2 in blind boxes), and the rising costs of oil ultimately just combined for one killing blow. They were operating like they had the money and popularity of Hasbro with the budget and popularity of...well, Palisades.

Problem with Ren and Stimpy was that yes it looked great, but it sold like utter poo poo. They paid a small fortune to get the license as well, hoping on the success of the rebooted TV show, and it went no where.

Sesame Street was a hard one to tell because as they were pitching Sesame, the Muppet line was on its last legs. Costs in China were going way up, and without the Suncoast/Musicland chains they had no one willing to buy the bulk of the figures. I think the production run for the last Muppets series was like 5,000 ... it was tiny. it shows though, try finding any color of the three different Lips, especially the white one. We're now paying $20 for reused sculpts from Mattel so it doesn't seem as bad, but Muppets were creeping into the $12 - $14 dollar range, which at the time was completely unheard of and they just couldn't cost out the line. I figured the Sesame Street line would really only cater to the Muppet crowd that had shrunk so much so I didn't see it lasting either if it came out.

My boss Ken was really into Kubricks and thought the blind box thing would take off ... I thought it was dumb, but he the boss. But no one was paying $6 (at the time) for no guarantee of what you were getting. It was sad too, cause the second set of AOD was incredible. They really could have gone somewhere in the 3 3/4" market, they are very similar to the quality of the Mezco stuff in that scale.

I worked our last show which was Wizard World Texas 2005, and the Sesame Street exclusive unpainted Oscar and the rest of the exclusives never showed up because they were never paid for and there were quite a few pissed people. A few months later we were rounded up a week before Christmas and let go, then they sold the company to some distributor who did nothing with it but liquidate the stuff the employees didn't take before they left.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It's a common occurrence in the toy world that if something is gone before you get there its always a scalper, no exceptions.

I used to like reading He-Man.org back when the 200x line was out, and some guy would be like "I went to Walmart and saw 5 Evil Lyn's, I bought them all so some scalper scumbag couldn't get them. I now have them for trade, but I want at least $50 worth of figures for each one."

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

As excited as I was about the Ghostbusters line, I got my first figure today and am just not feeling it. I'll probably still get the four Busters because my NECA Ghostbusters stuff needs the guys, but past that, its hard to justify the $20 plus shipping per figure its going to cost me. It's especially tough when I can see what I can get from MOTUC He-Ro in comparison to what they gave me.

They are Movie Masters quality, which is not a problem at about $10 ... but at $30 a pop I don't see how they couldn't have made the proton pack's blaster a solid plastic and not a completely floppy piece of poo poo, god knows I love warped weapons on figures. Also the figure is just odd looking, the likeness to Egon is actually really good ... but the body proportions are off, maybe is the T crotch they use, but the legs look stubby while he has an enormously long upper body.

Slimer isn't bad, but he feels really more like cartoon Slimer than the movie version. Egon fits well with the Terror Dogs and Stay Puft, but Zuul makes him look like a shrimp ... she's in a solid 7" scale while Egon is almost in the 5" - 6" scale Marvel Legends by Hasbro fell in.

All in all its a good figure, but not $30 good.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The figure looked pretty awesome though, and the last one had a hideous face so its not surprising it got the vote.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They haven't stated where yet ... I'll bet on TRU since they picked up the last set of two packs.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

mods rename me posted:

And no Martian Manhunter still!

They know better than to release him until the line needs help or a facelift.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Ogmios posted:

Two-face is on sale at Toys R Us.com

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3846137

That's not Movie Masters, its the 5" line.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I wasn't thrilled paying $12.00 for the Dark Knight movies masters thugs ... so I really couldn't see paying $30 when all is said and done for a new head on that body and no accessaries.

However I did order Ray which was essentially Egon with a new head and ghost. And the two MOTU offerrings. So it was an expensive day.

I'll finish the busters but Walter Peck will be a pass.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Bushifox posted:

Found a manbat today. Now I only need a joker to complete the ones I want from that wave. Also, walmart has the rest of their ares wave at half price. Lots of iron men, war machines, and scarlet spiders if anyone wants one.

It's probably leftovers from the Nemesis wave, the cases included those figures for some stupid reason.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Slim Shady.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

mods rename me posted:

Yea there's nothing nearly as bad as the Toy Biz ML days.

200X Masters of the Universe gives it a run for its money.

You could only find chase Fisto at every 10 Aldi stores.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I think there is supposed to be another set of two packs this year, but otherwise ... yeah its over. They stopped commissioning 6" sculpts about 8 months ago and even then they weren't paying much.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

DCU has a total of like 5 base bodies they have made almost 200 figures from, raising to $15 is not keeping the line profitable, its increasing their profits because they know there is a collector demand. Mattycollector was just a test to see how much "collectors" are willing to spend.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Chris Reeve Superman is exclusive to mattycollector.com ... I don't know if they announced it yet, but Zod never sold out, so thats not a good sign for future figs.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

RKOMG! posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress is this line made for? I can't sell ANY of those guys because I sell toys to children who don't know who loving Tyr is. That's an entire wave of shelfwarmers with a king-Hell shelfwarmer of a build-a-figure.

Well I guess you would be glad its a Walmart exclusive and you don't have to sell it to anyone!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Evil-Lyn joins the skeleton crew ...

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Matlock posted:

Most of the DCUC stuff I like, but I can't justify paying more than $8-$10 for them.

Hell, ReSaurus made figures with the same detail with as good of paint applications on a larger build for $8-$10.

Resaurus also went out of business in 2001. A ton of small toy makers who made great poo poo have gone out of business since then because of the cost of everything involved in making the toys (materials, labor, etc.) has increased for many reasons.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Wow, those are really awesome figures.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Bushifox posted:

Yeah. always give us first crack.

Also, I think that she-ra figure coming out tommorow means I'll be making my first mattycollector purchase. What time do these normally come out?

Be on and logged into your account 15 minutes before noon EST. Don't hesitate when ordering, get in and get out quick as possible because it will sell out in minutes.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Up to date on MOTUC finally!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Fish Of Doom posted:

Yeah, that's terrible. Have any of the Ghostbusters thus far sold out in under 5 minutes like the MOTU stuff? It seems like you're just paying them an extra $20 just for the right to spend another $20 on some exclusive thing (which will probably just end up being something like a sli,ed Winston but in the pink goop from GB2).
Well not exactly, the $20 goes towards the bonus figure they ship you, so you aren't actually paying anything extra.

It's still a rip because the GB stuff sells out in days so you have ample time to get it. They just want to lock people in so they can pawn off a slimed Winston and Ray on you without anything you can do at the end of the year.

Par for the course with Matty ... such as the cash grab they did by doing the slimed Peter first knowing they could double dip because everyone wanted to complete the team, but they will all order another without slime once they offer it because that was the one everyone really wanted.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 18, 2010

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yep didn't get me either. I know they will eventually get to a normal Peter and I can wait.

At $30 a figure I will be as picky as needed.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Allright, this matty collector poo poo is confusing. If I want all four ghostbusters, what's the best way to do it?

Get the four pack from TRU this holiday season.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Are they ever gonna make a ray with the ecto-googles? Or give them ghost traps or PKE meters?

Yes if you commit to buying all the figures this year you will get a Ray covered with marshmallow and he has goggles.

If you buy Winston you get a trap.

If you get the new Egon he has a PKE Meter.

As you can see Mattel is milking collectors for these important accessories.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

MU Juggernaut, Thor, and the Aim Agent are completely awesome, I didn't hesitate to buy them.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Sanschel posted:

The same thing happens with MOTUC; they're so bent on nostalgia for the original toys that they gimp themselves artistically.

It's more Mattel management telling them what they can and can't do.

And for some reason Mattel HATES the 200x stuff and wants no reference to it. Unlike with the stactions they did, with the Classics line they are working with specific rules by Mattel (since it's their property) to do the line. So we won't get those awesome reimiginations they did of characters like Clawful.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

AnImE pOwErUp posted:

Whiplash came with a 200X head is that the last of the 200x heads?!?!

Yep, they said on their Facebook shortly after the sub sale ended.

Ya know, after people locked in for the year.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 2, 2010

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They will still do original characters from that show/series ... but they can't have as Mattel calls them the "hyper detailed anime" look such as the wind swept heir they gave Marzo.

Also Classic characters will be done in classic style with no reference to 200x looks.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Gygor and Carnivus are mine!

Egon is a big fat pass ... already had slimed one and Slimer > Books.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIZr3aWT30&feature=recentf

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

There will be limited stock of Battle Cat on the Cyber Monday sale on Matty.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yeah same ... they both have their share of problems. Where MOTUC added the much needed articulation, it falls a bit because of the really heavy reuse. 200x had a lot of problems with scale where certain larger characters were made small (like Whiplash) and it really took away from an awesome figure. Also the 200x females, when you compare them to the MOTUC are pretty sub par.

It's a give and take, but at least with the MOTUC approach now we are getting into a lot of characters we wanted to see, and some that never even came out. Gygor is such a badass gorilla.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yep.

Hulk/Valk
Winter Soldier/Black Widow
Warpath/Deadpool

Hulk/Valk are the only set without a variant.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

New Deadpool is fantastic!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Suncoast still exist?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Motuc is an awesome line despite Mattel.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The reason they were able to bring Legends is because of the success and bank of MU sales.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

MSRP for the new Iron Man stuff is 14.99 ... TRU jacks up the prices and wonders why they swim in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Heinz is killing the line.