Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I’m very excited about the new Daredevil :allears: I’m the sucker who will buy every 1/6th scale release of him.

Except for the weird Sideshow ones with the melting faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Matthew

Three men about to regret their decision

I'm so happy with how this guy turned out. Very quick/easy custom figure compared to what I usually do, but I love the result a lot, and I'm so glad to have a Matt Murdock action figure in my collection after a lifetime of Daredevil fandom. Maybe someday there will be a proper, commercially available, comics style Matt Murdock that everyone can enjoy. Until then, at least I have one!

Edit for bonus image

That is loving awesome. What did you use for the base?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This was an Everett Ross body from Wakanda Forever, a head from a Cyclops figure that came with a "casual" Scott Summers head, and the cane is made from a bamboo skewer (sanded down to have more of a taper), a bit of wire, and a bit of hand sculpting with epoxy putty.

I posted a couple work-in-progress pics up thread a ways and sort of laid my plans out, but to give you the long version: I painted his tie red (broke off, painted, glued back on), painted his hair red with a very faint brown wash, painted the face and hands so the skin tones would match, and repainted the glasses (which were already red) to be a darker, shinier red. And of course the cane is painted. I went for gray with a black wash for the handle instead of straight black, didn't want it to pop too much. I used a lot of different types of paint for this; artist acrylics, craft paint, model paint, ink washes. Normally when I make custom figures I try to make it look less like a toy and more like a model/miniature with a lot of subtle shading and small details, but I wanted this guy to look as much like an off-the-shelf Marvel Legend as possible, so I kept the paint super clean and minimal and left a lot of bare plastic. I even left the joint pins, even though every fiber of my being wanted to putty over them, because I didn't want to repaint his whole suit. The original color was fine.

Here's those WIP pics again:

I did spend some time looking for a deal on the actual Murdock head from black and red DD, even found an OK price on one and almost bit. Ultimately after looking at options, I decided that Scott Summers head would look better. It was a little cheaper, but it required repainting too. It's similar to that other head, but I liked the sculpt better. This is what that other head looks like:

Part of me is tempted to make a Foggy Nelson and Karen Page to complete his legal team. I was thinking about it and I remembered they did make a chubby-guy-in-a-suit figure with the Iron Man Happy Hogan, and then I quickly realized that actor also literally played Foggy Nelson once... so that would be a real easy custom if I just didn't touch it. But he really didn't look jack poo poo like the comics version, so I'd have to find a different head and stuff... Not going to prioritize that idea.

drat that is loving awesome. And if you ever find a head to make a Comics version of Foggy, I'd love to see it. I've been wanting to customize a Foggy for a long time but I don't know the Marvel Legends heads enough to even guess at a sculpt to use.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Some of you may be pleased to know that after some consideration I did order myself a ML Happy Hogan figure so that I can customize a Foggy Nelson to hang out with Matt Murdock. I actually just sprang for the two pack with the gold Iron Man, which is a perfectly good toy but I’ll sell it cheap if anyone wants it. It really was not much cheaper to buy Happy on his own, I got the set for like $30 shipped. I will probably just use the Favreau head and sculpt new hair, but that’s subject to change according to my whims.

Now, ideally I will want a Karen Page as well, but that’s actually a trickier figure to customize because she’s just a blonde chick in business casual clothes and doesn’t have a lot of consistent and well-defined physical traits that make it recognizable as her. I can’t really think of an iconic look to go with. I’m open to suggestions.

Oh hell yes.

I'm gonna take a shot at a Foggy myself. I wound up ordering an Avengers 2021 Baron Zemo head, which I think is a pretty good comic Foggy fit. Would just need a little softening and new hair. I'm mostly used to customizing 1/6th scale fashion dolls, so this will be a fun experiment. I'm pretty good with Apoxie Sculpt and the like, at least, so I'm not entirely out of my depth.

As for Karen... I truly don't think she has anything specific.
Except maybe the outfit she died in with a baton sticking out of her chest? :v:

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

:neckbeard: Look who has arrived!!!

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Hey now

It's legally-distinct-any-similarities-to-real-persons-is-a-coincidence man.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Joe Fisto posted:

Visually impaired attorney looks great.

Edit: give him a gun.

Bests I can do here is a Poppy Parker Galaxy Girl ray gun.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Aphrodite posted:

Hot Toys posted an update that Miguel will now be a fabric costume and not the weird big Marvel Legend.

:toot:

I preordered before anyway, but now I can put him on the same shelf with other figures without him looking like a total eyesore.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I got a cute lil 2099 collection goin' on right now.

I got no room for a Detolf but I do like these little Eket cabinet things. There's a glass door that keeps the cat out at least.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I don’t suppose anyone has a suggestion for a decent sculptor for a custom comic-style 1/6th scale head?

I’ve found a few on Etsy, but the results look… mixed.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Let me know what you want and what you're wiling to pay, and I could maybe do it.

Sent you a pm!

I’ve looked at Fiverr and it seems entirely flooded with AI and not actual artists…

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I know, like, intellectually how big 1/6th scale diorama stuff is, but that never stops me from being surprised when it arrives.

This is the mOjingToys 1/6 Scale Rooftop Diorama.

Pazuzu is on board.

Maybe I should invest in some LED lights and little glowing cyberpunk signs to 2099 it up until I decide to put Daredevil on it.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Fuzz posted:

That thing could scale for 1/12, honestly. Do you have any figures that size to compare?

It's not bad in a photo but feels slightly too big in person.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Vegastar posted:

I know this isn’t a traditional figure, but Kotobukiya made this 1:1 hand reference ‘figure’ and it’s loving crazy. Been waiting for this for a looong time now and it just came in from amiami. Figured you guys might at least appreciate it, just an incredible reference model. Also would fit right in to a Smash Bros collection with a white glove.

Holy poo poo, I might have to get one of those for reference.

I've wanted a cape for Spider-Man 2099 for a while now (and I'm not a big fan of the red one that the movie one has either), so I've been experimenting. I might be on to something with some frosted adhesive vinyl with floral wire pinned between two sheets stuck together. I've been looking for white coated wire but I haven't been able to find any for, honestly, six months.

I had some luck but the experiment was cut short due to unforeseen interference.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
For an extra $55, I’d expect like the pieces to a hot air balloon or something.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Can you sew? I've been experimenting with capes recently and have a few patterns I've developed with wiring that work pretty well.

Technically yes, I can hand-sew. But as the accompanying photo suggests, any time I start doing pretty much anything craft-wise at all, somebody appears to participate.

That being said, I’d love to see them! I’d discarded sewing this, mostly because I haven’t been able to find a fabric that I like but maybe with the right pattern, I can make something work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Hot drat! I love the comic suit.

:eng101: He was not a big beefy dude until ATSV and didn't have a nanotech suit until the 2015 run (which is the white suit).

Anyway, this one will fit right in on the Miguel shelf. Miguelf. (The Hot Toys one is not usually on this shelf but, you know, for completionist sake.)

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 22, 2024