Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bgaesop posted:

Why do people keep saying this?
Because Star Wars toys have been in production in that scale since 1977 and have been pretty drat kickass, and only gotten better in terms of quality, sculpts, paint apps, etc as the years went by. v:shobon:v
If you added up all their sales figures since the company started, I'm pretty sure Star Wars toys are among their best sellers, up there with Transformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote isn't edit

NOW WITH A REAL EDIT!!!

First pictures of COBRA COMMANDER from the new GI JOE movie, in toy form!!! Consider this a spoiler, I guess! OH poo poo!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 12, 2009

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Djarum posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOxqNC-YJ3A

It kinda puts my stop motion stuff I have been working on to shame. Jesse Falcon voices MODOK too. I want to know how they did the mouth.
Ahahaha, it took me a moment to realize that it was a parody of Christian Bale flipping the gently caress out recently.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rebelscum.com has pics of 2009 Star Wars stuff. God damnit, between Star Wars and Transformers poo poo, hasbro is gonna get a LOT of money from me. :cry:

I've got THREE weaknesses when it comes to 3 3/4" Star Wars figures:
- rebel pilots
- astromech droids (like, R2-D2, those kind)
- expanded universe characters (well, most of them)

So with these new figures we're getting a shitload of all of those. Hell, we're getting not only a Kyle Katarn figure (player character from the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games) but an HK-47 figure. Oh yeah, and Corran Horn (with his astromech, no less).

I am gonna be soooo poor this year. :gonk:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That scar is pretty crazy, too. The "Joker" makeup really downplays it, I guess.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Picked up the Watchmen movie Rorschach figure today at Spencers, he's pretty great.

I've just got a question - he came with a bunch of small little pieces and I'm not sure what one of them is for. Two of them are peg-stands you plug into the base so you can stand him up, but what's the grey little quadrangle thing? Looks kinda like
/___\
:confused:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DarkPrime posted:

Same here, only mine came from TRU. Does your figure tend to lean to one side after a while?
I haven't noticed that yet, no.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Learn to sew, read up on how real clothes are made and then scale it down appropriately?

Honestly, that's really all I can think of. I imagine making a trench coat for an action figure isn't much different from making a trench coat for a human, except for the size. I imagine the materials, cut, fit, and patterns would essentially be the same (exaggerated action figure proportions aside).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Agrias120 posted:

I just now saw the MU figures for the first time in person (and the Wolverine: Origins line), and Holy Hell I'm not touching those. If they end up releasing some of my absolute favorite characters I might pick up them up, but even then they would really have to improve the paint app.
I actually get a kick out of the DC Universe counterparts; I've got a couple of them and I'm not even a DC comics reader at all. They're less expensive and I think they look a LOT better. But spending $8.00? Hell no.

I'm looking forward to the (hilarious) Terminator Salvation movie toys that come out sometime next month. Figures.com just put up a shitload of pictures of them, including galleries of them both in and out of their packaging. They're being released in 3 scales (3.75", 7", 10") and I'm gonna pick up a few of the 7" ones (T-1, T-600, T-700, T-800). I'm also very tempted to get the 3.75"-scale Aerial HK. The 7"-scale ones have light-pipe eyes (just like the old Kenner T2 toys did! :haw: ) and the 10" ones have light-up LED eyes and poo poo.

The Terminator Salvation toys aren't at all "super-realistic" like the NECA and McFarlane ones are, but I still think they're super-hilarious and totally remind me of the wacky ACTION FEATURES toys from the 90s. It makes my inner child all nostalgic and I love it.
People on toy forums are raging against them saying "URGHHH THEY LOOK LIKE TOYS FROM THE 90s". Yes they do, and that's AWESOME.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fish Of Doom posted:

Mike Crawford did his Terminator figure review, and man these really are goofy looking figures:

Click here for the full 500x753 image.

I can't wait to pick up the 6" figures, I think they're hilarious in a "classic 90s toys" sort of way. I really want the T-1, T-600, T-700, T-800, and the Aerial HK vehicle.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

z0rschach posted:

I wonder how the "paint ops" are on that terminator.
God I hate that phrase.
And trade guy, yea, put your stuff in that thread it keeps this one less cluttered.
I always heard it as "paint apps", like, "paint applications". :confused:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

God damnit why can't I live in a cool city that gets the Terminator toys on the shelf before they're supposed to be out. :( It's days like this I hate Flagstaff, holy poo poo. I'll be doubly pissed if Phoenix/Tempe/Tucson actually have the Terminator toys at their local Wal-Mart/Target stores, but Flagstaff is just retarded or some poo poo. I was totally ready to drop, like, $60 on Terminator toys today, too. :(

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 16, 2009

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Joe Fisto posted:

I have some dog poo poo in my backyard. Let me know how much you want.
Just because YOU don't like them doesn't mean no one is allowed to like them. <:mad:>

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I scored two of the new Terminator Salvation toys today at Target. I got the jumbo T-600, and the Aerial HK (with mini T-700). The character toys come in 3 sizes, 3.75" (think GI Joes or Star Wars toys), 6", and 10", and they had the T-600 in all 3 sizes. One thing that was common for all three is that the T-600 is big. Like, substantially bigger than the other characters for each scale.
The 10" T-600's eyes are LED lights, and it actually has a rubber-skin mask and the barrel of its minigun rotates and the ammo feed works.

I had originally planned to get the 6" one, but it really does look goofy in person and I'd say it looks the worst of the three.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Aerial HK is really kickass, it's a lot cooler than I expected. The T-700 mini-figure isn't a "pilot", it's a deployable unit - you can load it in a cargo hatch in the underside, and presumably "drop" it when you open the hatch if you don't clip it into place. The HK has landing gear, the turbofans rotate, it's got 2 launching missiles, and you can rotate the four underbelly turrets. The turrets aren't on ball joints which is kinda lame, but they still rotate. The thing has a lot of detail, it's really cool.

The mini-T-700 (I assume it's identical to the 3.75" one you can buy separately) is cooler than I expected, too. It's got a lot of detail, and a lot of the pistons in the shoulders and thighs are actually separate pieces and you can see the gaps between them, they're not all one solid piece like I expected for that scale. You can see all the rivets and panels and whatnot, and even the CPU access port on the top of the head and stuff. The teeth/lower jaw looks kinda goofy, but at such a small scale I really don't mind.

Oh yeah, and the jumbo 10" T-600 has ball joint shoulders and hips, and working pistons in the arms, and a spring-loaded waist that snaps it back to the front-facing position when you twist it, just like the old-school Kenner T2 endoskeletons did. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How often do new waves come out? Because I definitely want that Power Girl figure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jace Madan posted:

I tried to "Improve" my T-600 by adding a grenade bandoleer and belt straps for his ammo packpack, like the HT version has. I think I may try to make a rubber mask for him using mold builder or plasti dip, and maybe do some drybrushing paint work. I also wanna see if I can cannabalize one of my old rifles and mount a M203 grenade launcher under his left forearm. Anyways, here he is next to a DST figure:

What did you use for the belt straps? That looks pretty neat.

I actually improved my 10" T-600 by cutting away parts of the rubber mask with an X-acto knife -- the mask has "damaged" parts sculpted on and then painted chrome, to simulate places where the rubber mask is damaged and you can see the endo-skull underneath. Well I cut those pars away, leaving holes where you can actually see the figure's endo-skull. It made it look a lot better.

I'll try and take some pics in the next couple of days when I have access to a camera.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

Saw the Star trek stuff at Target today...the small figures are on the same quality of the poo poo Marvel Universe line, but the 6" figures are amazing looking. Plus tricorders, phasers, and the Enterprise....

And really, you guys with the Terminator figures, you guys have to be hardcore fans, or Xeno. Those things are laughably bad.
I take it you never had any of the awesome cool toys as a kid in the 90s. :colbert:

Seriously, I just got the Terminator Salvation T-1 from Target, and it's really cool. Lots of detail, the tank treads are actually rubber (but don't move), the upper "torso" swivels side to side as if it's tracking targets when you roll it on the floor, the Gatling guns are articulated, AND it has light-pipe red eyes on the "head". It's pretty kickass. :hellyeah:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I remember back in the day when McF would make really kickass movie-related figures. Now NECA has pretty much cornered the market on licensed movie figures and whatnot.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

z0rschach posted:

The Mctoys t-800 skeleton was pretty good I hear in articulation and sculpt.
The head on the McF endoskeleton is absolutely kickass and it has this great "I am a killer robot and I'm going to ruin your poo poo" expression on its face, but the rest of the figure is actually pretty movie-inaccurate. It's got a lot of moving parts and whatnot which are cool, but all around the NECA endoskeleton is a lot better and more sturdy.

...however the NECA endoskeleton's head is loving terrible looking, it's got the goofiest wide-eyes gaping-mouth look, so I pulled the head off both the NECA and McF endos and swapped them, kitbashed a few more things between them, and made one really righteous T-800 endoskeleton that I'm really happy with.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AlkalinePunk posted:

pics please!
I don't actually own a digital camera, but I'll see if I can hijack one from a co-worker or something.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I get much more enjoyment out of my Terminator toys than I would out of a digital camera, so all of you haters can suck my cock. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fish Of Doom posted:

Looks like DCUC wave 10 is:

Power Girl
Man-Bat
Joker
BeastBoy
Robotman
Forager
Static

The BAF is as of now unknown. However the rumored BAF for wave 11 is Killowog. Apparently Wave 11 is the beginning of the Green Lantern theme. Just as up through wave 10 had New Gods characters, there will be a bunch of Lantern Army builders through the next few waves.
Any idea when this wave will ship? I needs me some Power Girl.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's also cool how this Iron Man is in scale with the movie Iron Monger.

Click here for the full 1000x665 image.

Maybe I was just mis-remembering the movie, but I was under the impression that the actual movie Iron Man mk3 figure was in-scale with the movie Iron Monger figure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fish Of Doom posted:

Iron Monger is pretty drat big in the movie

Huh, you're right. I only saw the movie once in theatres, so my memory was a little hazy. v:saddowns:v

I still liked the movie toys a lot. I only got 3 of them, but I got the mk3 Iron Man, Iron Monger (red chest plate and eyes, before they re-issued it with the blue like he has in the movie) and Titanium Man (who is REALLY kickass).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of customs, I recently got a progress report on a custom figure I commissioned.

I picked up the NECA Succubus figure a while back, and the moment I saw it, I said "That would make a great Bloodrayne" figure.

Click here for the full 497x778 image.

This is the original Succubus figure:

Click here for the full 495x888 image.

This is the custom so far:

Click here for the full 1210x1610 image.

The guy working on it still needs to mess with the hair a bit, touch some stuff up, and make the arm-blades and whatnot. Otherwise I'm pretty pleased with the work so far.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Wishy posted:

It's fake from what I have heard.
There's no way it's real. Why would Hasbro, a toy company, license out its toys to another toy company?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Wishy posted:

Doesn't Takara do Masterpiece G1 Transformers? I could see maybe possibly Hot Toys being able to do movie ones that would fit with them.
Takara and Hasbro co-own Transformers.

JohnThermos posted:

Yeah they've never done that before.
I'd say Transformers is a bit different from GI Joe. One lends itself to high-end super-expensive ridiculously high-detail 1:6 figures, and the other doesn't because it's a transforming toy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Satsuki posted:

I know most people don't care about the Nemesis wave since its Hasbro crap and all ... but looks like its starting to hit outside of California, two sightings in Arizona now, looks like they are moving East.
I can confirm this, I saw it at two different Wal-Marts in Arizona today.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Satsuki posted:

Any of you guys in AZ want to buy me a set? I'd gladly pay a little extra for your troubles, or throw in something you might be looking for if I find it.
I don't think I saw a complete set, even between both Wal-Marts. :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just got an Email from Amazon.com that the SDCC exclusive "Dead Space" figure I ordered a week or so ago just shipped. I'm really loving stoked! :dance: gently caress paying ridiculous marked-up eBay scalper prices, I ordered the figure for $19.99 on Amazon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ogmios posted:

If the price is too high, don't buy it! The sellers can only sell figures at prices people are willing to pay. Just because you think it is too expensive, it might not be for someone else. As long as they are clear about the cost before you purchase it, there is nothing to complain about. People will only pay what it is worth to them, if it is too high, they won't buy it. Ebay is a great mechanism for telling what the street value of something is, I tried to sell a figure on there once, but no one bid on it, because there was no demand for the figure at that price.

Frankly, the ebay sellers are doing a service by providing these products for people who can't but them in their area. But, I share your frustration, if only the manufacturers or retailers did a better job of meeting demand, ebay would be irrelevant.
....but none of that has anything to do with what he just said. Marking up shipping IS deceptive and ISN'T right - you should be making up your fees by increasing the cost of the item itself, not by artificially inflating the shipping.

Also, the "doing you a service!" excuse is a huge cop-out. You aren't doing me any favors by inflating the shipping, eBay costs and whatnot aren't my problem. And if the retailers increased the supply to meet demand, the scalpers would just buy up more of the stock to put on eBay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bushifox posted:

See, I just don't understand this line of thinking. Why does it matter where a seller makes up the fees? If you are going to buy an item, you see it for the price + shipping as what you are paying. What difference does it make if someone charges you 10 dollars with free shipping or 1 dollar plus 9 dollars shipping? (except that ebay doesn't make as much money from the 1 dollar one?)
I guess it's the honesty of it? Knowing that you inflated the cost of shipping means that I *could* have gotten the same item for $1 (since you were willing to do free shipping, with you covering the shipping cost) instead of $10 (where you seemingly inflated the cost of shipping, seeing as how you were willing to ship it for free).

If you were honest about the shipping cost and then tack your costs onto the price of the figure, at least I know exactly where the money is going and I know you're not profiteering at my expense.

Think about it this way:
You've got an item you're selling. You can sell it for $10 with $5 shipping, or $3 with $12 shipping.
Now, why should I want to pay your $12 shipping cost? I know I'm not actually getting a better deal here, because either way it costs $15. You're just inflating the shipping cost so you can avoid paying eBay fees... and that isn't my problem.
So we've established that the shipping shouldn't cost more than $5. So if you're willing to sell the item for $3, and shipping is $5, why am I paying $15 instead of $8?

Bottom line: artificially inflating the shipping cost is dishonest; raise the initial minimum bid amount or do a reserve if you're so concerned about making up your costs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bushifox posted:

In any case, scalpers are *not* the problem. People stupid enough to pay scalper prices are the problem.
Wait what the hell? Yes they are the problem. :psyduck: If scalpers buy up all the stock in the store and now people have no option but to buy from the scalpers because the items aren't in the stores, then yes the scalpers created the problem.

How can you even say something that retarded? :confused:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 8, 2009

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bushifox posted:

because if people don't pay the scalper prices the scalper has a lot of unused stock which will eventually go to a reasonable price

See: any star wars toy made past 1995, MM joker, etc. If you can't wait to fuel your need for a certain piece of plastic, keep feeding the scalper money train.
That doesn't change the fact that the scalpers created the problem in the first place by buying up all the stock. Seriously how can you not understand this. :psyduck:

Like Djarum said, there's all sorts of figures on eBay for inflated prices that aren't selling because the scalpers picked them up, marked up the price, and people aren't stupid enough to pay scalper prices. That doesn't solve the problem of the figures not being on the shelves since the scalpers bought them all up and created an artificial shortage.

I fully planned on not getting the Dead Space SDCC exclusive figure because I knew I wasn't going to pay scalper prices. Seeing it for flat retail on Amazon.com made it a no-brainer, though.
Likewise, I got the SDCC GI Joe Baroness figure straight from Hasbro's website for flat retail. If I didn't have that option, well, I wasn't going to go pay scalper prices; I'd have just grumbled about scalpers and not gotten the figure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whorehey posted:

Am I upset I paid that price, knowing retail was under $13? No. Am I upset that I HAVE to pay that price? Yes. I know, I know. I don't have to pay the price, just don't buy it. But then I run into a big problem: I won't have two of the best figures in the series and one of them happens to be an absolute favorite character of mine.
Yes, but saying that that situation is somehow your fault because you're willing to pay that price or the retailer's fault for not offering enough supply (as opposed to, you know, the scalper's fault for creating the problem in the first place) is retarded.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DSL posted:

I had a few questions for the people who said that inflating shipping prices when selling on ebay is wrong:

1. Have you recently/do you regularly sell stuff on ebay?

2. If you wanted to buy some tickets or something with a small shipping fee and there are two auctions (buy it now for the sake of argument) a. 5$ + 20$ shipping. b. 30$ + free shipping. Do you go for the "honest" option on principal, or the cheaper option?
1. No, but that's irrelevant.

2. I'd go with the "honest" one, and report the excessive shipping one to ebay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bushifox posted:

You obviously understand economics and capitalism enough to know that "fault" can be placed in all of the corners and that someone disagreeing with the "root" of the problem doesn't make them retarded.
Are you kidding? The root of the problem isn't even debatable. The scalpers bought the items off the shelf with the explicit intention of marking them up, with complete disregard for if buyers would pay that marked-up price. As Djarum pointed out, many times people aren't willing to pay the marked-up price, and so now the scalpers are forced to lower the price just to move the product.

The scalpers buying up all the product in the first place is the obvious root cause of the scalper problem. Sure the buyers could wait for the scalpers to lower their prices, but the only reason they have to is because the scalpers bought up all the stuff in the first place and marked it up. Seriously, it's not that complex.

I'm not saying there aren't other factors in the economics of scalping - yes, the buyers being willing to pay those prices plays a factor, as does the distributor not offering enough supply - but the primary root cause is the scalpers themselves initiating the process out of sheer greed. Altering the other factors could mitigate scalping, but the one sure-fire way to stop it cold is for scalpers to not be douchebags and put people in a situation where buyers have to buy from scalpers because they bought up all the stock (or not buy at all).

Jet Ready Go posted:

What I never understood is why it made such a big difference if you bought the figure for $1 + $12 shipping or for $12 + $1 shipping. It's the same loving price and we aren't trying to "hide" the cost since the total is right there in plain sight.
This already got addressed. :confused:

Bushifox posted:

We aren't all trust fund babies like xeno that can afford to pay a premium on so called honesty.
Haha, that's hilarious.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 8, 2009

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What if it's a seller that considers himself to be an "honest" seller because he is able to allow a customer to pay $13 for a figure by charging $1/$12 shipping, and with that method reduces his ebay fees, further enabling him to allow a lower overall price? Everyone in this thread is making an awful lot of assumptions about everyone else. I know it's not the case every time, but it's unreasonable to assume that ever seller overcharging on shipping is trying to be a sneak.
Well as Travis mentioned, it isn't necessarily the actual "honesty", it's the perception of honesty. I mean, it's not like buyers take the time to interrogate every seller about their motives and poo poo.

There are times where I'll see a seller offering up an item for a LOT cheaper than everyone else, but with a higher shipping price (and I'm not talking a couple of bucks here). However even with the higher shipping, it's still a LOT cheaper in total. Sometimes I'll message the seller and ask, "why is shipping so high?"; I don't ask them in a confrontational way, I just express curiosity, and most people are polite about it and tell me why. And usually, I'll buy from them. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

edit-- gently caress it, this derail is retarded. Scalpers are dumb, scalper apologists are almost as dumb, whatever.

In other news, my SDCC Dead Space figure came in the mail today, it's pretty righteous.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 9, 2009