Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My most-wanted Marvel Legends figure happens to be my all-time favorite Marvel character: Jamie Madrox, aka Multiple Man. I would kill to have him in his modern X-Factor look (long-sleeved T-shirt with the six circles with a trench coat), and even a 2-pack release would be fine with me. I hope Hasbro gets around to him one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just don't buy them. Vote with your wallets. I think a lot of the complainers will buy Marvel Universe stuff anyway (naysaying all the while), and all that accomplishes is showing Hasbro there is a market for the junk.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If anyone preordered DC Universe Classics Wave 7 (Beetle, Booster, Barda, Flash, Kid Flash, Captain Cold, camo Aquaman) from Corner Store Comics, check your credit or debit card statements carefully for fraudulent charges. A LOT of collectors on other message boards have been hit, and the common thread was Corner Store Comics orders that were processed and charged over the last two weeks. Somehow their system was compromised, and they've posted bits of information on the Fwoosh and some Spawn board (yet nothing on their own website, and no e-mails to recent customers). I had Beetle and Booster preordered through them, but luckily they didn't charge my card yet, and I canceled the entire credit card to avoid any problems. Seriously, be careful.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Travis343 posted:

What's the Booster Gold variant?

I got one and its kinda lame, the preview pics showed Skeets opening up but the actual toy is solid plastic and attached to his back with some little plastic "swoosh" effect.

There is "classic" Booster with the collar and a non-opening Skeets, and "modern" Booster with no collar and an opening Skeets that reveals Mr. Mind inside. I believe they are packed 50-50, but the modern one is considered the variant.

I'm dying to find Beetle and Booster in a store after the Corner Store Comics clusterfuck. Where have they been showing up?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Havoc904 posted:

I'm looking into starting to try customs, does anyone have a good guide or outline for all the stuff I will need? Any help from people who do customs or know anything about them would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Cauley, aka Iron Cow, has a great website devoted to his beautiful custom figures, along with a helpful FAQ guide for beginning customizers: http://www.ironcowprod.com/ICP_faq.html

Cason Pilliod, aka Casimir, also has a custom figure site with his creations and a detailed guide: http://www.pilliod.net/secrets.htm

Airmax is amazing -- he mostly specializes in the Justice League Unlimited/Bruce Timm style of customizing. He is very friendly and helpful, and I own several of his original customs (including the Comedian from Watchmen and the entire Wildcats team in their Travis Charest looks): http://airmaxanimated.com/main.html

Glorbes might be my favorite customizer of all, with his retro/steampunk/pulp recreations of characters: http://www.ironcowprod.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47

Sillof does mighty nice work in a similar steampunk vein: http://www.sillof.com/

And all of Doubledealer's customs are top-notch as well: http://www.2dtoys.com/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

Word.

Click here for the full 377x630 image.

It looks like the suit front is a separate piece they just glued over the torso. Check out the right lapel of the suit (not the coat), and how there's a small notch, suggesting the lapel doesn't extend all the way up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

I bet it's so they can use it for other figures down the line that don't wear a vest under their trench coat (Commissioner Gordan?)

Almost certainly, and I'm hoping and praying it leads to an amazing Golden Age Sandman (one of my favorite characters based on the Sandman Mystery Theatre series).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have the Toy Biz Showdown versions of Spider-Man and Daredevil, and I thought those generally look better than the new Marvel Universe figures.

On that note, I only still own a handful of Marvel Legends, but I'm disappointed they never got around to making my favorite Marvel character, Jamie Madrox. Granted he's just a guy in stylized street clothes so he might not have been the most exciting-looking action figure, but at least they could have sold him in an exclusive two-pack or something (maybe with and without the trench coat?).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For all you Muggs collectors, Mezco is rebranding their old Mez-Its minifigures to make them similar to Muggs in style and scale. Check out its first offering:

http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/11284.shtml

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Multiple Man is my favorite Marvel character, and I've been requesting him in every fan poll since the end of the Toy Biz days. I am thrilled to see that prototype, and I agree a 2-pack with himself would be the best way to go. Perhaps they could switch it up by doing a serious face in the trench coat, and a smirking face in just the long-sleeved T-shirt, sans coat.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Multiple Man is based on his comic look for the last few years. Peter David relaunched him as a noir detective with a sense of humor and an ongoing identity crisis in the excellent Madrox: Multiple Choice miniseries a few years ago. That led directly into David's current X-Factor series, where he is the team leader. He dresses like that all the time -- a long-sleeved T-shirt with the six interconnected circles, and a trench coat over it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Djarum posted:

So I am in the planning stages of a custom right now but I am stuck. I need a racing helmet head that is Marvel Legends scale. Has anyone made any racing figures that are 6 inch? I know nothing of racing at all so I have no idea.

What kind of racing? The "Parting Gifts" Wesley from DST's Angel line came with two motorcycle helmets for 6" scale figures -- a black one and a pink one, both with black visors that stay in place. They are a little bit loose on figures' heads, but that should be easy enough to work around.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Having just read the TPB, I really liked the character designs, and you did them justice. Great work! Have you seen the officially-licensed PVC figurine set that came out recently?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The biggest DCUC pegwarmers around Orlando are Mr. Miracle and Cyborg. They're even giving Superman Red and Blue and Black Manta a run for their money. From wave 7, I've only ever seen Aquaman Blue and Captain Cold in stores, and none from wave 8. If they end up discounting the pegwarmers, I wouldn't mind replacing my old brightly-colored DC Direct Mr. Miracle with the DCUC version -- but only for something like $5.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I heard a rumor that Hasbro won't be releasing all these Marvel Legends figures. Instead, they're going to have fans vote on three to be released in three different 2-packs, and Hasbro will pick three more to fill in the 2-packs. So before people get too excited, we might not get them all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Travis343 posted:

e: and if anybody but me still buys JLU, we're getting 2 kick rear end 6 packs, a 'good guy' and a 'bad guy' one. Good guy pack has a Mr. Terrific, Elongated Man, Obsidian, Hourman and a non-horrible Supergirl as well as (of course) Superman. Bad guy is all new characters except for Lex Luthor, with Tala, Psycho Pirate, Devil Ray, Dr. Polaris, and Gentleman Ghost, who is no longer holding up playing cards for no reason. Looks great, I just hope some of them actually show up near me.

My neighbor three houses down, a fellow collector, just said he picked these up for me. I still collect JLU, but I'm not a completist so I will probably end up trying to sell Tala, Lex, and Devil Ray once I pay him back for all of them. I no longer have my JLU figures on display, as I'm trying to figure out a new, safe method of displaying them without having them constantly falling over. What do you do with yours?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Horde the little plastic stands, mostly. I've also made a few custom stands just out of sculpey, pressing the figure down on it then baking it. This doesn't work terribly well most of the time.

Or you can buy JLU figure stands off of Mattycollector. Of course not every figure has a hole in the foot for the stands...

I've heard the Mattycollector stands were a horrible ripoff -- overpriced, and they hardly worked at all. They also seem so big and bulky, like they'd take up far too much shelf space. At this point, I'm close to drilling tiny holes in their feet and using plain black "Smalljoes.com" stands meant for G.I. Joe figures.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Do any of you collect the Eaglemoss lead figurines, particularly the DC ones? How do you like them? I know Blue Beetle (my favorite character) has already come out in the UK, but there are none for sale on eBay or Amazon. Last I heard was that most of these eventually make it to U.S. comic shops via Diamond, and Beetle might be due at some point in September, but they sometimes arrive early. Is there any kind of definitive list of shipping dates, like Diamond usually provides for comics and DC Direct provides for their figures?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm all about getting that Ted Kord Blue Beetle, whenever it comes out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I have never heard of Dr. Midnite before but now I am a little less sad about having to buy him to get Darkseid.

There have actually been three DC heroes called Dr. Mid-Nite (although the short-lived second one, a girl, was Dr. Midnight, not Mid-Nite). This figure is of the first one, the Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite, a member of the original JSA. He is Dr. Charles McNider, a blind doctor, who could see in the dark due to his goggles. His owl is named Hooty. In the '80s, his protege, Dr. Beth Chapel, briefly became Dr. Midnight and joined Infinity, Inc., but she was killed by Eclipso. In the late '90s, Matt Wagner introduced the latest Dr. Mid-Nite, Dr. Pieter Cross, a pulp-style hero inspired by the Shadow and Doc Savage, who was blinded in a staged accident that also caused him to lose his medical license, but he continued work as a street-level doctor, helping the down and out. His costume was inspired by McNider's, but more modern and high-tech. He is a member of the current JSA, and he is an awesome character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LtCrowley posted:

Just found this, can anyone who's seen the packaging on these puppies confirm that he's from the same series?

That's a few years old, back from when NECA had the Ghostbusters license but only made Slimer, Mr. Stay-Puft, the Terror Dogs, and Gozer. Bill Murray was a dick about releasing his likeness rights, so NECA never made the four Ghostbusters. I think the scale for these will be close enough that they could be displayed with the new Mattel figures, though.

Of course, I'm still not convinced we'll ever see a Venkman from Mattel...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Darth Ronson posted:

Does anyone know how to get cigarette odor out of a figure? I've bought a Neca 18 inch Jason Voorhees for what I thought was an okay price. But it stinks! I've given it a wash down with water so far, but I was wondering what I can use to get rid of the smell. Do anyone of these odor neutralising sprays actually work? I've done a google and had various suggestions including white vinegar, washing up liquid, etc.

I've read something about putting the figure in an airtight bag (usually a Ziploc-type bag, but you'd need a gigantic one) with an apple wedge, and the apple absorbs the smoke odor.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You guys wait -- it will be a random white Martian from Morrison's JLA run.

I'm hoping the Four Horsemen will make the first decent Zatanna figure ever, ideally in her modern top hat, fishnets, and bustier look, but knowing them, it'll probably be Satellite Era Zatanna in her old Perez costume. I also think Kamandi will be the pegwarmer to end all pegwarmers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
From pictures I've seen, Vartox and Grimbor looked way gayer.

Also, do we have any idea which Starman this will be? My best guess is the new starry Starman, since it would be such an easy figure for the Horsemen. However, I would pay ungodly amounts of money for a good Jack Knight Starman figure from them. (I think the only two DCUCs I'd want more are the Shade, who could easily be made from a retooled Gentleman Ghost with a new head, and a Golden Age Sandman, who could be a repainted Question with a new head and gun. Both would replace the crap-tacular DC Direct versions.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

profbobo posted:

Hoping that Starman is a Jack Knight toy. That will be amazing.

Jack was the Starman in last year's Mattel/Four Horsemen poll to determine the DCUC "Fans' Choice" character for this year's wave 11. The Question won, but they also included Jack Knight Starman, Huntress (in the Jim Lee costume), Catman, Ragman, and someone else... essentially what could have been a very cool wave all together. But since Question won, they threatened that we wouldn't see the other characters any time soon, and the most recent poll included all new characters (and Raven won).

As much as I'd love to upgrade my old DC Direct Jack Knight with a flawless Four Horsemen version, I'm willing to bet they will stick us with the "starry" Starman (easiest repaint ever), and possibly Golden Age Ted Knight as a variant.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pleatherface posted:

What do people think of Minimates in this forum? Are they generally cheered or jeered?

I've never collected them seriously, but I think they're terrific. I have fewer than ten remaining, but the little things are so drat tempting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
No, actually this is a new case packout with Beetle and Booster from wave 7, Hawkgirl and Parademon from wave 8, and Deadshot from wave 9. I forgot who else is in it, but there are a few others, and no Gentleman Ghosts. I saw the remnants of this wave at Target last week, with the first Deadshot I ever saw at retail, after my wife paid $18 to get me one from an LCS. Hawkgirl did not come with a CnC part (just a stand), so I'm assuming the others don't have CnC parts either.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just got back from an insane Super Target. The JLU 6-packs are all on clearance for $20.98 (marked down from $30), and they may even get lowered in the days to come. This store had several of the set with Mr. Terrific/Hourman/Eclipso/older Supergirl/red and blue Elongated Man/Superman, the Dr. Polaris/Tala/Psycho-Pirate/Devil Ray/Gentleman Ghost/Luthor set, and the newer set with Eclipso and five basic heroes with purple "shard" repaints. There is also a 6-pack with the prominent Thanagarians from "Starcrossed," but this store didn't have any left.

The 3-pack pegs were stuffed with Blackhawk, Superfriends, and Waller/Eiling sets, but none of the newest wave with Captains Cold and Boomerang (the 3-pack I wanted).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

AlkalinePunk posted:

So my LCBS got in the first shipment of wave 12 and I am torn I kind of want a Darksied but am pretty meh overall with all the figures in that wave other than the gimmick Spectre. The Dr. Midnight and Iron are kind of like hey those are cool, but I do not need them and the rest are really I just do not care. Is Darksied worth the 105 dollars that is the question =(.

Some people may be satisfied with their smaller DCSH Darkseid and might not want to complete the wave just for him, so you may want to find people like that online and sell the figures to them at a slight discount, so you can keep the parts. Or conversely, buy the parts off them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So at what point do I give up at stores at get gouged online for a DC Universe Question figure. :sigh:
I'm with you. Question is the only DCUC figure I want right now, and I've never seen that wave at a Target store.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It's not a 2-pack. It's a 5-pack with Hal (repaint with gray temples), Sinestro (his head on Hal's GL body), John (repaint in his Mosaic costume), Tomar, and Guy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ogmios posted:

Word is, Starman is going to be have a Variant. Hopefully this means, Ted and Jack will be represented.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially since I want a DCUC Jack Knight figure more than just about anything. However, everything I've heard points to the Starmen in question being Ted Knight (Golden Age style, to go with classic Dr. Fate, Dr. Mid-Nite, and Hourman) and the new starry Thom Kallor version (which would be an easy repaint of a basic buck body, and would go with modern Mr. Terrific, Dr. Fate, and Power Girl).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Whorehey posted:

My girlfriend recently bought me the DC Comics Action Figure Archive book because she found it on sale. It's pretty neat to look through and see all the different iterations of superheroes throughout the last few decades, especially all the crazy Batman stuff for kids in the 90s. I found a Parallax toy that I thought was really neat, 1997's Total Justice line of toys. I looked on E-bay and won an unopened one for $0.99 and it arrived earlier this week.

I haven't veered off of collecting DCUC too often but I liked the look of the toy a bit too much to pass it up. The construct shield and missile launcher/crossbow thing are a tad corny but at least they sort of make sense given Hal's powers. The rest of the line, outside of Despero, all have crazy armor or weapon attachments that are just another example of crazy 90s toys. Really, I just wanted a Parallax toy and the price was right at around $2 or $3, including shipping.

Total Justice came out during my first year of college (Fall 1996) and got me back into collecting action figures, after I had lapsed around middle school. I had most of them, and they were pretty awesome for the time, despite the silly snap-on "Fractal Techgear" armor and overly muscular and dramatic preposed sculpts. A lot of them looked unnecessarily angry, but they were probably based on "extreme" '90s-style concept art. In my opinion, they just look constipated. The line included Flash (Wally), Green Lantern (Kyle), Aquaman (with his beard and hook hand), Green Arrow (Connor), Robin (Tim), Huntress (Helena), Hawkman, and even Black Lightning, along with Parallax... plus the usual Superman and Batman. Darkseid was a good figure aside from the ridiculous non-removable claw he had in place of a normal hand.

When the Total Justice line got rebranded as JLA, we got even more cool figures from the line: Atom, Red Tornado, Impulse, Plastic Man, Zauriel, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and the first muthafuckin' Blue Beetle ever (a Hasbro mail-order exclusive, in a 2-pack with armored Flash and a tiny little Atom). I've since sold all those figures, but I kept the Blue Beetle and will treasure it forever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Action Man posted:

I was really hoping that Warpath and Deadpool was just a rumor. Does anybody actually want a Warpath?

No, but I REALLY wanted Multiple Man (and would have happily bought at least two).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was overjoyed to see Jack Knight is the "modern Starman" they've been promising, and not boring-rear end Thom Kallor. After Beetle and Booster, Jack is my favorite character in comics, and Starman is my favorite series of all time. I have the early DC Direct figure and even the HeroClix piece, but this should be the perfect, quintessential Jack Knight collectible ever.

Now the Four Horsemen just need to make a good Tony Harris-esque Shade, to replace the horribly goofy Silver Age-style DC Direct version.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mapocho posted:

Sweet OMAC! Man those JLU figures are so drat boring.

I still kinda-sorta collect JLU (I've never been a completist), and I agree. So far in 2010, I've picked up Plastic Man, Captain Cold, and Captain Boomerang, but there hasn't been anything from that line to impress or excite me in years. If SDCC doesn't reveal at least a few cool new JLU figures, I'll be tempted to downsize my entire collection. As of now, I don't even display them because I can't figure out a foolproof way to keep them all from toppling like dominoes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Shocker Toys has unveiled 3D computer images of some upcoming 6" figures, including two that would seriously tempt me: the Hunter Rose Grendel and the Golden Age (public domain) Blue Beetle.

http://www.shockertoys.com/store.php?type=exclusive

If they look as good as those mock-ups, they can pretty much count on two sales -- and I'm sure I'm not the only person in this thread who would love a Grendel to display alongside Marvel Legends, DC Direct, and DC Universe Classics. But what are the chances that they come out in time for these conventions later in the year? And can anyone vouch for the quality of Shocker's Indie Spotlight figures so far? I know they're infamous for stirring up message board drama, but I heard the first wave of figures was actually decent once it finally came out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Great news for anyone who still gives a poo poo about Justice League Unlimited, too. Upcoming 3-packs for winter 2010 and spring 2011 include:

Guy Gardner/Martian Manhunter/Batman (blue/gray Super Friends-style)
Adam Strange/Animal Man/Starman (blue repaint of the Ditko version)
Alan Scott GL/Jay Garrick Flash/Carter Hall Hawkman (yellow mask)
TED KORD BLUE BEETLE/Booster Gold (shiny yellow)/Fire (in "flame-on" form)
Batman/Joker/Gray Ghost

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

profbobo posted:

Just moved into a new place, but made a bit of time to put another Detolf up. Here's how it's looking right now. Pretty stoked to have a bit more display room, as well as finally having all my stuff in one place. I'm trying not to overcrowd it, but am also disgusted with how many toys I've accumulated over the last few years. I ask again: is anyone interested in older smaller figures? I'm trying to unload, and have been collecting since I was like 8. Christ.

Make a list and post it in the Action Figure Buy/Sell/Trade thread in SA-Mart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DevilOnYourShoulder posted:

I was in an unfamiliar Wal-Mart a week or so ago- as in July, 2010- and while I was checking out the toy aisle, I saw, on a peg, for sale, a Monster Armor Rogue X-Men figure.

That toy came out 13 years ago. They still had one.

Someone may have returned it recently, though. Walmarts have the most liberal return policies ever.