Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Prototype. It probably has some convenience methods for selecting nodes in an XML document but, yeah, I don't know.

If you want to bypass Prototype you can always rely on crappy old DOM interfaces. Practically every browser supports that.

If this only needs to be compatible with Firefox then try the E4X interfaces. They're really easy.

Or, abandon Prototype and move to JQuery because that has CSS selectors, XPath, DOM, applied to any document be it HTML or XML.

alternately just suck it up and use the plain old DOM interfaces, they're really not that bad once you write about 40 lines of helper code, I can't believe people are actually recommending switching toolkits to avoid some simple DOM manipulation. And I thought -I- was lazy, sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Lumpy posted:

Pretty sure every browser comes with those... don't reinvent the wheel, especially since users will *always* use the ones on the browser instead of yours.

Also, WTF is an HTA. Why does the internet force people to use buzzwords and abbreviations =(
Is that like MS's Adobe AIR or something?

HTml Application. It's basically a balled up wad of html & scripts (vbscript usually) that looks like an application to the user - sort of like a CHM. I don't think it has fwd & back buttons, hence the question.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/hubs/htas.mspx

I've always been surprised that they're not more popular.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FWIW, HTAs let you read/write to the filesystem, so comparing them to AIR is at least in the ballpark.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sonic bed head posted:

They are IE/Windows only AFAIK.

something being IE/Windows only never really had much bearing on whether it was popular or not.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just gonna drop in and mention that no one should ever modify Object.prototype because it means that not only will you have to stop using Objects as hashtables, but anyone who uses your code will have their Object-based hashtables break.

Not that anyone was saying you should, but just thought I'd mention it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

SuckerPunched posted:

To add to this, you could also install the Firebug extension to get even better Javascript debugging if you're using Firefox. If you're not using FF, I suggest you start because debugging Javascript in IE (and, in my opinion, even in Safari, Opera, or Chrome) is a pain when compared to the power you get from Firebug.

Microsoft script editor is imho just as good as firebug

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kekekela posted:

I haven't used any of the IE tools since IE Dev Toolbar or whatever for IE7, which I thought was really buggy compared to Firebug. Is there something better out there for IE now?

yes the microsoft script editor, although "now" isn't really appropriate since it's been around since like 2004 or something

http://www.jonathanboutelle.com/mt/archives/2006/01/howto_debug_jav.html

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm having trouble with "window.open" and bookmarklets. I have a script that generates a text array that maps out the layout of a form page. I want to be able to save this as txt to export to Excel. So far, it looks like my best option is to output the array onto a blank new page and save it from there. However, when I use "window.open", I'm unable to write anything into the new window (I get an "Error on page" message).

How can I remedy this? Or is there an easier way to save an array to a text file using only bookmarklets?

Note: I'm stuck with IE7 and have no say in that matter.

you'll have to pass the text back to the server which can turn it into an xlsx or csv or whatever. the server stores it, then tells you where it's stored as the return to the ajax call. now redirect the page there.

either that or write a plugin i guess

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we've switched to angular at work and although I've managed to avoid having anything to do with it i am finding it really hard to believe that the building of webpages needs to be this complex.

or at least it sure seems complex for something that should be pretty straightforward.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

maybe it's not really complex idk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Uziel posted:

What's the "best" javascript/html IDE right now? I have an upcoming Javascript/HTML5 class starting in a few weeks so I'm looking around. I'm a Visual Studio person and I think Jetbrains is awesome but I see that they have WebStorm for $29 under academic. Is this the best option or is there something out there free that will suit my needs?

the jetbrains javascript editor is hands-down the best i've found.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Google does it for their feedback tool.

http://www.elliottsprehn.com/preso/fluentconf/#/

also this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4912092/using-html5-canvas-javascript-to-take-screenshots/6678156#6678156

rotor fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jam2 posted:

Is it possible to create javascript animations with pure JS and CSS, without the aid of a library?

yeah. there's CSS transitions & transforms

but there's also window.requestAnimationFrame

dear web people: you don't always need to use libraries for small things.

sincerely,

rotor