Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?
I've got a really simple call to a really simple Prototype function that appears to be timing out after about five minutes or so:
code:
	<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
		new Ajax.PeriodicalUpdater('log', '$someurl',
		  {
		    method: 'get',
		    frequency: 1,
		  });
	</script>
The script is supposed to give feedback by automatically updating the page from a log file that's exposed on a web server. Is this timeout I'm seeing just something that the browser does if it sees some Javascript that's kicking off every second and not producing any results? I didn't read about any kind of default timeout in the docs, and Google doesn't reveal anything useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

sonic bed head posted:

That's a hell of a lot of AJAX calls without a decay option. I don't know how fast your server can respond, but I'm pretty sure that one open AJAX call/second is screwing something up. I would say at least add a decay of 2 or 3 and see what happens.

Also, are you sure that the log file is changing in the interval where you see a timeout?

I think the timeout occurs during a period when the log isn't being updated. The first step in the log reflects the beginning of a tarball unpack, and depending on load that can take from 1-12 minutes.

The server can respond to this load just fine. It's an internal app that at most 3-4 people are going to be using at once, and the cluster it's on handles thousands of requests per second.