Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

MikeJF posted:

And so as not to build expectations, be aware that Inversions isn't usually published with 'A Culture Novel' on the front for a reason. It's not a Culture novel. But sometimes it does have that written there. Because.

Inversions is a Culture novel in my eyes. You definitely should read a couple of the others before it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Inversions is a Culture book that kinda-sorta tries to pretend it isn't for a while but it's obvious by the end.

There's an old fan theory that Excession / Inversions / Look to Windward form a sort of trilogy that presents the Culture as seen, respectively, from Above, Below, and Head-On.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Powaqoatse posted:

Just read them in publication order

:yeah:

Also, Inversions is totally a Culture novel.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If a a book has Knife-Missiles in it, it's a Culture book. The Bridge is a Culture book.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
I couldn't track down a copy of Look To Windward until after I'd read the rest of the series, but it ended up being a perfect coda to what is probably my favorite science fiction series of all time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Look to windward seriously comes together in practically the last pages to dawn on you as an extremely poignant exploration of a fundamental human issue. The right to die on your own terms and with dignity. I hadn't even thought much on the topic and when I hit the end I suddenly realized I had feelings about it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Quilan breaks my loving heart. Poor dude. :smith:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikeJF posted:

And so as not to build expectations, be aware that Inversions isn't usually published with 'A Culture Novel' on the front for a reason. It's not a Culture novel. But sometimes it does have that written there. Because.

The Bridge has a reference to a knife missile if I recall correctly. And a Lazy Gun from AaDB is mentioned in some definitely Culture novel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yes inversions is clearly a culture novel. Spoilsports.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So, I started Use of Weapons and Player of Games 4 years ago, bounced off them a bit, and then moved.

Found them in my storage unit and read those and Surface Detail in a total of four or five days.

What's a good place to go next? I have Against a Dark Background, but I'm jonesing for some Culture stuff.

No advice for what to read next, but please don't ruin your experience by binge-reading everything over a couple of weeks, there won't be any more new books coming out for you to look forward to :smith:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Entropic posted:

If a a book has Knife-Missiles in it, it's a Culture book. The Bridge is a Culture book.

By this metric, Guardians of the Galaxy would qualify.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lack of Gravitas posted:

No advice for what to read next, but please don't ruin your experience by binge-reading everything over a couple of weeks, there won't be any more new books coming out for you to look forward to :smith:

It's the slow season at work (EMT in a college town, and all the dumbass kids are gone) so I've been powering through them at work. I usually read one in a 24 hour shift. At this rate, I'll be out of Banks in a month. :smith:

There are worse things than having an author associated in my brain with that awesome summer where I got paid to read all his books while I sat in the sun, though.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

By this metric, Guardians of the Galaxy would qualify.

That's controlled by whistling though, not an AI.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's totally a knife missile. It's just stolen and salvaged from the Culture and they don't have an AI to work it, so they have to use a lovely off-market neural interface fin.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It's actually a fully functional if slightly eccentric knife-missile having a grand old time after talking some gruff pirate guy into whistling its theme song whenever it does something badass.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MikeJF posted:

Also be aware that Banks eventually wrote an epilogue to Against a Dark Background and posted it online.

can someone link me that? it seems to have dropped off the main place it was being hosted.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Kesper North posted:

It's totally a knife missile. It's just stolen and salvaged from the Culture and they don't have an AI to work it, so they have to use a lovely off-market neural interface fin.

It's not a knife missile, it's a whiphound from The Prefect

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I've known plenty of knife missiles in my time, and you, Av, are no knife missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

sebmojo posted:

can someone link me that? it seems to have dropped off the main place it was being hosted.

The internet archive has it: https://web.archive.org/web/20160305011808/http://culturelist.org/cdr/article.cfm?id=142

• Locked thread