Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A human heart posted:

Gibson is an awful writer my man

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Gibson's prose can be amazing.
Compared to whom?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really liked Spook Country and I keep meaning to get around to Zero History and The Peripheral. I like his more recent stuff generally, but the early books like Neuromancer really do not hold up well as anything but artefacts of a particular period of SF.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.” - good prose, lol

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That would be blue these days.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Notahippie posted:

Alastair Reynolds has some of the scope and epic-ness and the analysis/deconstruction of social systems of Banks, but completely lacks the playfulness that Banks has.

Behold.. the wedding gun!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

A human heart posted:

Compared to whom?

He's got a knack for stripping language down to a core. I don't have any of my books on hand so can't quote, sorry.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.” - good prose, lol

Ah, yeah. One line that is used to set tone and evoke references to noir fiction is totally useful as evidence that no other line in any book that Gibson wrote is worth a drat.

Well done.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Murgos posted:

Ah, yeah. One line that is used to set tone and evoke references to noir fiction is totally useful as evidence that no other line in any book that Gibson wrote is worth a drat.

Well done.

please do not feed the chronic threadshitter

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just realized, the game of Azad is basically a more elaborate form of Sid Meier's Civilization series, isn't it? When I read the book (which was a couple of years ago) I had never played the games, but now that I have and I'm reading up on Banks it just clicked.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Dude, have you read Complicity yet? Go read Complicity. Right now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Gibson owns because everything he wrote came true (in the abstract if not the specifics) and because he has good prose which can stand up with ~real~ writers. Like Banks he ended up writing books which weren't science fiction, but while Banks did it because he could Gibson did it because then world caught up to him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

General Battuta posted:

Gibson owns because everything he wrote came true (in the abstract if not the specifics) and because he has good prose which can stand up with ~real~ writers. Like Banks he ended up writing books which weren't science fiction, but while Banks did it because he could Gibson did it because then world caught up to him.

We can only hope this comes true for Banks some time in the future too.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

We can only hope this comes true for Banks some time in the future too.

It's 2017, welcome to the Affront!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

divabot posted:

It's 2017, welcome to the Affront!

We're already the Affront, just without the cheerfulness. :smith:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Well, Contact has us in its control group, so that's a non-starter. Maybe the Morthanveld will swing by. They seem pretty chill overall.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The best we can hope for is to be destroyed by a hegemonizing swarm event, it's pretty much what we deserve.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I would be totally down with assimilating into a culture-equiv society of galactic fish people

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Taeke posted:

I just realized, the game of Azad is basically a more elaborate form of Sid Meier's Civilization series, isn't it? When I read the book (which was a couple of years ago) I had never played the games, but now that I have and I'm reading up on Banks it just clicked.

Banks played and was inspired by Civilization (see Excession), but Player of Games (1988) came out three years before Civilization (1991) and seven years before Catan (1995) kicked off the modern board game movement.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect he started with 20th century chess culture and extrapolated from there.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The culture and structure around Azad always reminded me of The Glass Bead Game

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Microcline posted:

If I had to guess, I'd suspect he started with 20th century chess culture and extrapolated from there.

With some Star Trek three-dimensional chess thrown in and taken to a crazy extreme, probably. I mean, it's space chess.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Wargames and wargaming culture has been around forever as well.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Microcline posted:

Banks played and was inspired by Civilization (see Excession), but Player of Games (1988) came out three years before Civilization (1991) and seven years before Catan (1995) kicked off the modern board game movement.

Yeah, I know it wasn't a direct inspiration, but I just noted how strikingly similar Civ and Azad are, especially now that in Civ 6 you've got the policy card system.

I know Banks loved to come up with overly complicated games that were completely unmarketable at the time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wargames and wargaming culture has been around forever as well.

:3:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

He's got a knack for stripping language down to a core. I don't have any of my books on hand so can't quote, sorry.

"They set a slamhound on Turner's trail in new Delhi, slotted it to his pheromones and the color of his hair. It caught up with him on a street called Chandi Chauk and came scrambling for his rented BMW through a forest of bare brown legs and pedicab tires. Its core was a kilogram of recrystallized hexogene and flaked TNT."

and

""You make me think about horses," he said finally.
"Well," she said, as though she spoke from the depths of exhaustion, "they've only been extinct for thirty years."
"No," he said, "their hair. The hair on their necks, when they ran."
"Manes," she said, and there were tears in her eyes.
"gently caress it." Her shoulders began to heave. She took a deep breath She tossed her empty Carta Blanca can down the beach. "It, me, what's it matter?" Her arms around him again. "Oh, come on, Turner Come on"

And as she lay back, pulling him with her, he noticed something, a boat, reduced by distance to a white hyphen,
where the water met the sky.

That poo poo is perfect. A Human Heart is a useless fuckstain threadshitter.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Eh, that's from 1986, his newer stuff is better imo

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Espedair Street as presented by the BCC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6nf2Rkj5w

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Uh yeah, Gibson is loving awesome. He once described a character's hair as a "black lacquer masterpiece." That has always stuck with me for some reason.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

though i agree a lot of genre fiction has poor prose (i think grrm writes like poo poo and never goes anywhere so i could never get into his book) it's just funny when people poo poo on it because so does a lot of what it is considered literary writing.

Zaebo
Jan 30, 2017

Part of a balanced breakfast

Groovelord Neato posted:

though i agree a lot of genre fiction has poor prose (i think grrm writes like poo poo and never goes anywhere so i could never get into his book) it's just funny when people poo poo on it because so does a lot of what it is considered literary writing.

There are alot well written fiction titles, see the name of the wind and mistborn that come to my mind, yet all you hear about is the latest YA novel or over hyped thing to be produced into a series or movie.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zaebo posted:

There are alot well written fiction titles, see the name of the wind

Do the opposite of what this guy says, Name of the Wind is complete tripe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

remigious posted:

Uh yeah, Gibson is loving awesome. He once described a character's hair as a "black lacquer masterpiece." That has always stuck with me for some reason.

he described hot women as 'gods own hood ornaments' not once but twice in his sprawl trilogy and really that's all the evidence you need that you should not kill your babies but should rather toss them gaily into an industrial shredder

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Zaebo posted:

There are alot well written fiction titles, see the name of the wind and mistborn that come to my mind, yet all you hear about is the latest YA novel or over hyped thing to be produced into a series or movie.
Urgghhh Mistborn is so bad!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaebo posted:

name of the wind is so bad someone in the book barn did a critical reading of it in its own thread.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Groovelord Neato posted:

name of the wind is so bad someone in the book barn did a critical reading of it in its own thread.

Would you mind linking to the posts? I made it 30 pages into The Name Of The Wind before I had to give up because the bad prose made me want to scream

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The Name of the Wind thing (and it's been done to death both on SA and elsewhere) always boggles me, because despite it, loads, LOADS of people love the drat book, and I can't figure out why.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Would you mind linking to the posts? I made it 30 pages into The Name Of The Wind before I had to give up because the bad prose made me want to scream

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=122#post458895404

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm hoping you all can help me for a bit. I'm finishing up my thesis on Banks (The Player of Games and Use of Weapons in particular) and I've got a question regarding UoW. I'll put everything in spoilers because... yeah, it's all about what makes UoW such a clever book so reading the following pretty much spoils it all.

So a large part of my thesis is how play and games are featured in his works. The Player of Games is an obvious choice for foregrounded synecdochical games, but of course the way he plays with the reader is much more subtle in UoW. I'm looking for specific examples of textual ambiguity and other tricks which hint at the protagonist actually being Elethiomel (and not Zakalwe, as he is presented throughout). There's the many references to chairs and ships and stuff that indicate his trauma and fractured identity, but I'm really looking at those elements that really only come to light on a second reading. So far I've got the following, but I'm worried I'm missing some obvious ones. After a couple of rereads, and now reading specific sections over and over again, I'm in need of fresh eyes, so to say.

The first and more obvious one is the prologue. Banks never directly references the protagonist as Zakalwe. Only ever is he 'he', 'the young man', etc. The only time he comes close is when he writes "The young man Cullis had called Zakalwe walked ...". This can be read as an implicit admission right from the start that Zakalwe is not actually Zakalwe, only called as such, but even if noticed is easily dismissed by the reader as a stylistic choice (it only being the prologue, after all, which authors often use to write differently).

Then there's the first of the reverse chronological chapters, where we find the protagonist telling a story to his victim. He structures the story in more or less the same way Banks structures UoW, interweaving two narratives where nothing is as it seems. Just as Zakalwe is actually Elethiomel, he presents himself to the Ethnarc as someone from the Culture sent to relocate him, revealing only at the end he's there to kill him for his own reasons.

Another instance that's fairly subtle is when Zakalwe/Elethiomel reflects on his youth with his adopted brother and sister. They hide away a gun out of boredom and when they want to play with it see infiltrators attacking the house. Elethiomel starts shooting to warn the house, a firefight breaks out and Darckense is hit. Then there's a paragraph break, and from (who we think is) Zakalwe continues "He was hit too, although he didn't know by what at the time." The paragraph break hides the fact that it was Elethiomel getting hit, and not Zakalwe, who was the focus of the preceding flashback.

The last one I found to be useful is at the end of the penultimate chapter, last of the reverse chronological ones, when Zakalwe received the 'chair' and shoots himself in the head:

His mouth was very dry.
He pressed the gun hard against his temple and pulled the trigger.

The besieged forces round the Staberinde broke out within the hour, while the surgeons were still fighting for his life.
It was a good battle, and they nearly won.

Here the implication, suggested by the author, is that the battle lost was the battle of the besieged forces when it is in fact the battle of the surgeons. It's clever, and obvious in hindsight, but Zakalwe died in that moment allowing Elethiomel to take on his identity.

So anyway, those are the examples I found that seemed most useful for my argument that Banks plays with the reader in subtle, clever ways. Are there any other obvious moments I've missed?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I don't have my copy to hand, but aren't there some shenanigans aboard the cryo-ship where the ship hands explicitly tell you Zak is travelling under an assumed name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Taeke posted:

I'm hoping you all can help me for a bit. I'm finishing up my thesis on Banks (The Player of Games and Use of Weapons in particular) and I've got a question regarding UoW. I'll put everything in spoilers because... yeah, it's all about what makes UoW such a clever book so reading the following pretty much spoils it all.

[spoilers]

So anyway, those are the examples I found that seemed most useful for my argument that Banks plays with the reader in subtle, clever ways. Are there any other obvious moments I've missed?

Use of Weapons spoilers:

One of the childhood scenes describes Elethiomel as the better marksman, Zakalwe being more proficient with blades. I don't think we ever see the protagonist use a blade, and he loves his rifle.

I'm fuzzier on the specifics, but I seem to recall that in moments of extremity (The "Light. Some light" passage prior to his beheading, his time in the caldera, his dream-leaf experience), there are points where he kind of probes at the edges of questioning his identity, each time recoiling from it as too painful or too dangerous

Edit: those might not be what you're going for. They're not really tricks of prose in the same way that your examples are.

Edit again: in case it is something you can work with, there's this from the pre-beheading deliruim scene (chapter X):

quote:

Where am I again? Crash. Funeral. Fohls.

Crash. Of course; my name is…

Too hard.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 7, 2017

• Locked thread