Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Entropic posted:

The only Banks book where I really had that problem was Inversions. Once you figure out that Doctor Vosill is a special circumstances agent (which is obvious from the beginning if you noticed that it a says "A Culture Novel" on the cover) you immediately lose any sense of possible danger for her. In some of the other books, most notably Use of Weapons, the characters may be for-all-intents-and-purposes physically immortal but they can still be emotionally destroyed. In Inversions though, you don't ever really get inside the heads of the Culture characters so there isn't even that possibility.

I quite liked Inversions especially very early on trying to figure out who were the Culture characters and then watching the one who still had Culture tools to work with and the one who didn't deal with the situations that they were involved with.

And although the Dr. is pretty heavily armed and protected seeing all that stuff happen from the perspective of the way, way less advanced culture was pretty entertaining.

The thing with the Backup copies is one of those science fiction things that can seem to cheapen the peril that characters face. I've dealt with it by reminding myself that the backup is essentially a 'serial twin' it's not really the same person the experiences of the original and the backup diverge immediately as soon as the backup is created (or activated I guess, since it's just data before that).
For the character who's in danger/pain/love or whatever those experiences are the only version of himself that matter, if they die and are replaced by the backup, the character is in fact dead.

My favorite ship names are
Sleeper Service and
Killing Time
Because of the double meanings in both of them.

e; oh and Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, The.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's some:
http://www.i-dig.info/culture/culturefaq.html#EARTHTIME

quote:

Is there a timeline to show when Culture events happened in terms of the year on Earth?

Yes, this is is. Note that the events of Matter (2008) are not included. I can't remember who created this so apologies for the lack of a credit to the creator. I modified it slightly according to the discussion that followed it's posting on the usenet.

7250 BC : Phage Rock first inhabited. Note: This is a best guess, it was certainly pre 7000 BC.
7000 BC : Birth of the Culture
0500 AD : Zetetic Elench split from Culture
0970 AD : Pittance discovered. Note: +/- 100 years.
1267 AD : Hostilities begin between Idir and Culture.
1289 AD : First warship built by Culture.
1307 AD : First machine fatalities between Idir and Culture.
1326 AD : Culture War Council creation results in the splitting of some sections from the main part of Culture.
1327 AD : Official start of war between Culture and Idir.
1330 AD : Events of Consider Phlebas. Note: Possible inaccuracy.
1332 AD : Homomda joins war on Idir side.
1366 AD : Twin Novae Battle of Arm One-Six. Note: Possible inaccuracy.
1367 AD : End of Culture-Idiran War in space.
1375 AD : Official end of Culture-Idiran War.
1575 AD : Pittance modified to become Culture weapons store. Note: Best guess.
1977 AD : Culture GCU "Arbitrary" visits Earth (from The State of the Art).
2070 AD : Events of The Player Of Games. Note: +/- 100 years.
2080 AD : Diziet Sma recounts events of The State of the Art, possibly while in route to Crastallier. Note: +/- 10 years.
2093 AD : Sma writes poem, 'Slight Mechanical Destruction' after the events of Use Of Weapons. Note: 115 Khmer calendar, Earth.
2100 AD : Events of Excession. Note: +/- 100 years but Excession events definitely after The Player Of Games.
2170 AD : Light from the Twin Novae Battle reaches Masaq' Orbital; events of Look To Windward. Note: +/- 10 years.

Some of that is deduced from interviews and the like, some of it from State of the Art and A Few Notes on the Culture. State of the Art is specifically stated to be in 1977 as that's the time when Dziet Sma and the Ship are deciding whether or not to Contact the Earth, as far as I remember that's the only time that official Earth humans are shown and they are described as being just another part of Pan-humanity with a few differences from the Culture norm, such as it is.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 29, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lasting Damage posted:

(such as slicing people to bloody ribbons with its knife missiles).

It's nice to be able to have a job that you love so much. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fleetwood posted:

Horza may be portrayed as a good guy in some eyes, but from a Culture viewpoint, he murders the transport ship Mind on Vavatch and Uncle Tom's the drone he kidnaps for much of the book.

Overall I agree, but a minor nitpick the transport was just a low level AI, not a Mind, not even on a Drone's level as far as I would guess.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's really hard to beat Anticipation of a New Lover's Arrival, The for ship names.

A few years back my roommate had a copy of Consider, Phlebas that I read on a whim, I hadn't heard anything about Banks or the Culture beforehand. The ending pissed me off so much that I literally tossed the book aside in anger, something that I've never done in all the years I've been reading.

Despite that rather immature reaction I was intrigued enough by the world he set up that a month or two later I decided to buy Player of Games just to see if maybe this one wouldn't end up making me angry. I've been a huge fan of the books ever since. Even if Matter and Surface details aren't quite as great as some of the others, I'm still pretty excited to hear that a new one will be out reasonably soon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Natty Ninefingers posted:

GOU The Big Stick

All these potential ship names just make me want to re-read one of the books, I just started on the Silmarillion though.

OU I Said, I Have a Big Stick

e: holy crap, the wiki entries for the Culture have gotten way, way more expansive since the last time I looked.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GCU Oh, Were You Using That?

I think I'm going to go ahead and put down the Silmarillon for a bit and re-read Surface Detail it's the only one that I haven't read more than once.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just finished up a re-read of Surface Detail and I have to say that I actually liked it better the second time around. The Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints is a fantastic and fascinating character who, were I somehow to end up transported to the Culture-verse, I would hope to never, ever encounter.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

osici posted:

BastardlySkull posted some awesome covers earlier in the thread too.

I think this is his photostream, there are the covers as well as a GSV and assorted aliens.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukejfrost/sets/72157626729157968/with/5723720481/

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fragmented posted:

Edit: I also wish there was more culture art. I have trouble picturing what the aliens look like sometimes. I had to find a picture of an affronter on google. And what are the Oct supposed to look like? I'm reading through Matter and can't find where they are described.

These are from the link I posted a bit earlier:
Oct

Morthanveld

Nariscene

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Diogines posted:

I love the premise of the Culture saga but I just don't like Consider Phlebias, I just couldn't get past the first 120 or so pages. The characters so far introduced were bland and the narrative, uninteresting. If I skip it, where should I start the series?
Consider Phlebas is definitely not much like any of the other books. Personally I think reading them in the order they were published is the best way to go, making the next one Player of Games.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I definitely liked State of the Art too, A Gift From the Culture from the same collection didn't do anything for me though. My favorite part of that collection is the essay "A Few Notes on the Culture" just because it fleshes out his idea and the universe he's built a lot.

When I picked up Consider Phlebas I had never even heard of Banks, all I thought when I grabbed it off of my roommate's shelf was "isn't that from The Waste Land?". I've grown to kind of like it now, but when I first finished it I sure didn't, the end just felt needlessly cruel to the characters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gently caress

A friend just told me this news, such a shock to hear. :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh no. :( part of me was hoping for some sort of crazy statistical fluke. RIP Mr. Banks, you created one of my favorite settings and filled it with some of my favorite stories.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neil Gaiman on Iain's passing

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2013/06/iain-banks-with-or-without-m.html

Neil Gaiman posted:

I finished,
"I think you're a brilliant and an honest writer, and much more importantly, because I've known lots of brilliant writers who were absolute arses, I think you're a really good bloke, and I've loved knowing you.
And he wrote back and said good, comforting, sensible things. Goodbyes are few enough, and we take them where we can."

I hoped that he'd get better. Or that he'd have time. He didn't. Hearing of his death hit me hard.

If you've never read any of his books, read one of his books. Then read another. Even the bad ones were good, and the good ones were astonishing.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 9, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I guess this is a Dramatic Exit, Or, Thank you And Goodnight.

RIP Sun-Earther Iain El-Bonko Banks of North Queensferry. :sigh:

I laughed so hard after reading about how Culture names work:

quote:

Some humanoid or drone Culture citizens have long names, often with seven or more words. Some of these words specify the citizen's origin (place of birth or manufacture), some an occupation, and some may denote specific philosophical or political alignments (chosen later in life by the citizen themselves), or make other similarly personal statements. An example would be Diziet Sma, whose full name is Rasd-Coduresa Diziet Embless Sma da' Marenhide
because running into El-Bonko in the middle of his name was so unexpected and perfect at the same time.

So now at least I'm happy to have remembered that in addition to still being pretty broken up by his passing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Those On My Left posted:

Has anyone read Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go? What did you think of it?

Never Let Me go is fantastic and knocked me on my rear end more than just about anything else ever has. Ishiguro has since become one of my favorite authors.

It's not very scifi though, if that matters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Circle Nine posted:

Wikipedia has a pretty thorough list of the ship names mentioned in the books.

God I love that list, and it starts out well enough, but when it hits State of the Art it always puts a big smile on my face because that's when the names go from very good to fantastic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The Culture doesn't have a monopoly on good ship names.

That's just your clear Hronish bias showing through. :colbert:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, that's crazy, it's like they didn't like the actual end and just fanfictioned one up and then proceeded to review the book.

e: a fanfictioned up ending that they didn't actually like all that much.:psypop:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I figure you could pull it off like this:

Ship: "Hold on to your butts (or whatever)"

ever so slightly longer scene transition

Super crazy, kinetic, high-speed space battle for several tense minutes.

and then towards the end the Ship says something like "Now, watch closely; here comes my favorite part"

Passenger(s):aaa: "what you you mean favorite part? This isn't happening right now?"
Ship: :confused: "What? No, the whole thing only took .04 seconds. Now watch what I do here..."

Basically just like near the end of one of the books.*

*Leaving it vague, because it was cool as hell to read it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is also a fantastic name for a ship.

Oh man, it totally is. I'm thinking GCU Hold on to Your Butts (or Whatever)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I dunno, I could maybe see enjoying a tribute to Banks and the Culture in a book of short stories by various authors. I don't have any real strong contenders to who I would put in such a thing and overall it might just be better as an unrealized "wouldn't it be cool if..." idea.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, I really did not like Consider Phlebas at all when I finished it, or more precisely its ending really pissed me off. it just seemed so pointless and futile and awful.

...and yet I was intrigued enough to warily pick up Player of Games from my roommate's shelf a few days later and I'm really glad that I did because since then Banks became one of my favorite writers and the Culture universe one of my favorites in all of fiction.

I should really re-read that first one again, since I already view it differently after reading the following books.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 11, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Isn't that sort of the point?

It's completely the point! But, I had no idea what I was getting into when I first read it (literally just grabbed it off my roomie's shelf when trying to find something new to read)

That's why I need to re-read it now that I've completed the rest of the books, like I said I already view it very, very differently.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I probably would not.

But, I would tell you it was an awesome shirt if I saw you wearing it. :shobon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

neat

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hahahahaha

oh man why did you have to die so young. :smith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

excellent

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Is that when he tricks the shuttle Mind into allowing him to kill it? I haven't read the book in like a decade but it still stays with me, but in a good way. It says a lot about the universe.

Yes, but it wasn't a Mind, just a low level AI, nothing on the level of even a drone or other average Culture citizen.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh I'm not trying to argue whether or not it was moral, just that he didn't outsmart anything particularly intelligent.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Decided to finally delve into his non-Culture stuff starting with The Algebraist, the setting is so amazingly notCulture that it trips me up sometimes. No AI? No hyperspace? No crazy force fields? Madness.

I'm really enjoying it so far, just now met some Dwellers for the first time and I think I love them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

You still have to respect Horza a little,

Yeah, but so does his fuzzy girlfriend and unborn child.

And so I don't. :colbert:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

E: yeah wow, wrong thread.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You're a worthless fucker who seems to spend all your time trying to poo poo on things here. Get bent.

• Locked thread