Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
A big fan of Banks.

The only two of his books I haven't read are The State of the Art and The Business.

My favorites of his Ian Banks are (in no particular order):

The Wasp Factory
The Crow Road
Complicity
Walking on Glass
Espedair Street

The only one I didn't really like was A Song of Stone.

As for M Banks stuff my favorites are:

Player of Games
Use of Weapons
Excession
Inversions

Consider Phlebas was my first read of his sci-fi. I enjoyed it well enough but mostly because I found the culture an interesting concept. The plot wasn't anything special. I still think its the weakest of his sci-fi stuff.

One thing I appreciate about the Culture is that it deals with the whole singularity concept but takes it as a matter of fact. This is a nice change from a lot of writers who deal with the same kinds of ideas but get overly focused on technical jargon. Banks manages to achieve high-concept sci-fi without becoming "hard" sci-fi. That may also put some potential readers off him, I realize, but he is well worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I also should mention that I enjoyed Raw Spirit as well.

A fun book and it got me interested in Single-Malts. I'm not an expert or anything but I am developing an appreciation for them. Thanks Iain!!

To anyone viewing this thread; give his books a try.

• Locked thread