Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
So I've chewed my way through all of Alastair Reynolds' and Peter F. Hamilton's bibliographies and I'm looking for something new. Has anyone read stuff by either of them and how does it compare to Banks?

EDIT: I just realized that there's a space opera thread :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
For my typography thesis last year I went with a rather strange title

My professor was a little confused about the title :blush:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

xiw posted:

9 Oct in the US - so not far off!

Just far enough :smithicide:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Cardiovorax posted:

After having finished all the books up to Matter now, I've got to say what I really like about the Culture novels is that Banks doesn't try to whitewash his vision, they aren't apologetic. I actually don't like the Culture as shown in the novels. Maybe it's because we only ever get to see it at its worst, but the novels make it clear to me that it isn't only a good thing, it's also a place filled with shallow idiots and hubristic machine gods who gently caress up in their overestimation of themselves as often as they don't. That's a lot better than other series with similar themes manage to do, like the Golden Age trilogy, which basically finishes on the note that everything that happens was predicted and manipulated by some superintelligence to lead to a happy end all along. For all the fancy sci-fi toys it actually feels like one of the more realistic future societies I've read about.

The Culture definitely has its flaws but I think Banks likes to write about them because writing about the 99.99% of the time where everything is peachy would be boring as all hell.

Also, how the hell did you get that custom title?!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Mmm, is that Vitesse Sans/Forza BastardlySkull?

• Locked thread